PDA

View Full Version : Spider lover build

Seth1221
2010-03-09, 10:47 AM
Exactly like in the title... well maybe not "exactly" because this would be gross:smallwink:

Anyway I had in mind this idea of a spellcaster (either divine or arcane) with a strong connection to spiders. What I need is an interesting Prestige Class and some feats to make it work. I'm pretty sure there was some kind of vermin master in 3.0 but I cannot recall exactly. So, any ideas?

Soonerdj
2010-03-09, 10:55 AM
Well it isn't exactly a class or feat but their is a Spider Cleric domain

Spider Domain (SC 280)

Core Deities: Lolth.
Forgotten Realms Deities: Selvetarm.
Other Deities: None.

Granted Power: Rebuke or command spiders as an evil cleric rebukes or commands undead. You can use this abilities a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Cha modifier.

Spider Domain Spells

1. Spider Climb: Grants ability to walk on walls and ceilings.
2. Summon Swarm: Summons swarm of bats, rats, or spiders.
3. Phantom Steed*: Magic horse appears for 1 hour/level.
4. Giant Vermin: Turns centipedes, scorpions, or spiders into giant vermin.
5. Insect Plague: Locust swarms attack creatures.
6. Spider Curse: Turn humanoid subject into a drider.
7. Stone Spiders: Transform pebbles into monstrous spider constructs.
8. Creeping Doom: Swarms of centipedes attack at your command.
9. Spider Shapes: Polymorph one creature/level into monstrous spider.
*Has a vermin shape.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-03-09, 10:58 AM
I belive spirit shamans can get the spider as there spirit guide and i belive there are feats that let you manipulate vermin as animals.

gallagher
2010-03-09, 11:00 AM
Exactly like in the title... well maybe not "exactly" because this would be gross:smallwink:

Anyway I had in mind this idea of a spellcaster (either divine or arcane) with a strong connection to spiders. What I need is an interesting Prestige Class and some feats to make it work. I'm pretty sure there was some kind of vermin master in 3.0 but I cannot recall exactly. So, any ideas?well, i dont know about prestige classes, but if you were into that sorta thing, you could get some grafts to give you extra set of arms and legs. it would make you into the spider king!

Grumman
2010-03-09, 11:04 AM
You'll definitely want the Spiderfriend Magic feat, so you can rain horrible doom upon your enemies without hurting your arachnid allies.

Adumbration
2010-03-09, 11:14 AM
There's a prestige class called Arachnomancer in the Underdark book that should suit your needs.

Heliomance
2010-03-09, 11:16 AM
Book of Vile Darkness: Vermin Lord
Underdark: Arachnomancer, Vermin Keeper

PinkysBrain
2010-03-09, 11:20 AM
Also Eberron Campaign Setting has some feats to get vermin animal companion and wildshape.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-09, 12:36 PM
Two Words of Heresy towards an arachnophiliac (don't bother trying to translate this): Half-Drow...

Here's my thought:

Race: Half-Drow
Class: Druid 5/Arachnomancer 10/Vermin Lord 5

The Glyphstone
2010-03-09, 01:04 PM
Homebrew/houserule a 'Bugloved' feat, like Lichloved but for mindless vermin instead of mindless undead?:smalleek::smallfrown:

Seth1221
2010-03-09, 01:31 PM
All great ideas thanks!
I have to get my hands on this Underdark book to see the vermin keeper - sounds interesting:smallamused:

Vizzerdrix
2010-03-09, 01:39 PM
The Book Waterdeep: City of Splendors has the Watchspider. A magical beast that looks like a big spider that any druid can take as an animal companion. I'm working on a build for a a druid that rides one.

Starbuck_II
2010-03-09, 01:53 PM
Spider Spells:
Non-evil Book of Vile Darkness spells, okay?
1) Spider Legs: Spider Climb spell but no have to use hands
2) Spider Hand: really good spell (remember the spider can use web attack).

Eldariel
2010-03-09, 02:26 PM
Drow of the Underdark is the book you want. It has lots of Spider-related stuff from ACFs to spells to feats.

Zaq
2010-03-09, 09:17 PM
I offer my advice on the sole condition that you promise to be the most stupidly over-the-top spider-humping drow ever, always tittering (yes, tittering! The tittering is critical! Snickering and giggling simply won't do!) about poisons and plots and spiiiiiiiders. You know, someone says "fire" and you jump in with "What was that? Spiiiiiders? We drow love them, you know! They're so poisonous!" Flouncy movements are recommended: you're still an elf, after all.
Also, you should refer to Lolth by her proper, full name: Roflolth.
If memory serves, there are two Arachnomancer prestige classes, one from DotU and one from the FR book Underdark. Both lose caster levels, but they still exist. The one from Underdark lets you get a poison touch at-will, which can be fun if you have ways of not dying in melee, and the DotU one lets you get the Spider domain (read: rebuke/command spiders) as an arcane caster.

Warlocks aren't compatible with those two classes, but they get a few spider-themed abilities (summon swarm, spider climb, spider shape, sudden swarm... and it'd be really easy to fluff the crawling hand one as a spider.).

As others have mentioned, Vermin Lord from BoVD lets you get all kinds of spidery nonsense.

The Amber Amulet of Vermin from MIC gets you some (really) cheap spider allies 1/day. It's 700 gp for a 1/day Large monstrous spider.

Oh, and whenever you roll initiative, you must say "My spider-sense is tingling!" You must.

JerichoPenumbra
2010-03-09, 09:48 PM
You can also have a diminutive spider as a familiar. They give +3 Spellcraft and otherwise use the same statistics as a mouse in the DMG.

Seth1221
2010-03-10, 12:41 AM
Oh, and whenever you roll initiative, you must say "My spider-sense is tingling!" You must.

Oh you can bet your money on it:smallwink: