PDA

View Full Version : Looking for LARP System

Voldecanter
2010-03-09, 01:11 PM
Hello Playground !

I am interested in setting up a Larp event with my friends ,but I do not know any of the systems out on the market currently . I am looking for a system that :

(A) system that Does Urban Fantasy well
(b)that is easy for beginners to learn
(c)Has little to No Combat
(D) Is fun to participate in .
(E) A system that allows characters to be mobile in a city , and following basic guidelines from the storyteller , Characters will create and participate in an unfolding story .

Any Suggestions ?

RagnaroksChosen
2010-03-09, 01:27 PM
well theres the white wolf one though its combat system is rather shakey.

I know there is the Accelerant System though I think it may require licensing, I would contact rob and ask him about licensing, ususaly its based on expected paying players.

valadil
2010-03-09, 01:37 PM
I take it that this is for more of a theater style LARP than boffer style?

The best theater LARPs I've been in have had minimal rules. You just talk and that's it. Sometimes you'll get stats and ability cards, but the more of those you get the more you'll want to use them.

Here's one we used the last time I ran a game. Every character has two stats. One is how tough the character is. The other is how tough they appear to be. Both stats range from 1 to 5. If you're fighting someone you do rock paper scissor with them. Then compare combat stats, adding 2 points to the winner of RPS. Whoever has a greater score wins. If it's a tie, the fight keeps going and you can run away or throw for another round. This means you have a 1:1 o winning if the other person has the same score, 1:2 of beating someone with a score higher by one, 2:1 of beating someone with a score lower by one, and no contest if the scores differe by two or more. It's simple and elegant. Nobody had trouble remembering it. Best of all, it's a boring mechanics. Yes, that's a good thing. It meant that nobody was going to get into fights just to get a chance to use their cool abilities.

Abilities are usually printed on cards which are distributed to the players. The rules are self contained on those cards. Show the other player the card to get its effect. For example, intimidate might be a card that says to do RPS against another player and if you win or tie, they have to leave any room you're in for the next 5 minutes. An ability to counter that might require the intimidater to win, not just tie, or it might provide blanket immunity to intimidate cards.

I'm not sure how you want the players to be mobile in a city. Usually the players are trapped in a room together. For areas that use more than one room, most games that I've seen book a hall at a college. You could name a bunch of locales and say that each area of the city is represented by one of the rooms on the hall. Maybe include some travel time? Like post a number on the door and that's how long you have to wait when entering/exiting that area?