PDA

View Full Version : Self-Sufficient Melee Classes?

Zergrusheddie
2010-03-09, 04:23 PM
I was wondering today what were the most self-sufficient classes in the game. Obviously, the first few choices that popped into my head were Druid and Clerics because they can heal, create food/water, and can buff themselves to the point that no one else matters. However, what are some self-sufficient melee classes?

Best of luck.
-Eddie

Demons_eye
2010-03-09, 04:23 PM
Warblade and Crusader come to mind

Saph
2010-03-09, 04:27 PM
Paladin and ranger? Both can use Wands of CLW, which makes them pretty self-sufficient. As long as you only fight things that deal HP damage you can keep going pretty much forever.

Warblade and Crusader can't self-heal as easily, but are better at throwing off other types of attacks.

Nidogg
2010-03-09, 04:40 PM
I psionics are allowed (Cos they usually arent) then Elans spring to mind due to their natural Power point reserve and the ability to live, indefinitly off power points.

Optimystik
2010-03-09, 04:42 PM
Psychic Warriors don't need to eat or drink (Sustenance) and can heal themselves (Body Adjustment.) Elan Psywars can live forever and never eat thanks to Repletion, as can Psiforged.

Draz74
2010-03-09, 04:48 PM
Paladin and ranger? Both can use Wands of CLW, which makes them pretty self-sufficient. As long as you only fight things that deal HP damage you can keep going pretty much forever.

Warblade and Crusader can't self-heal as easily, but are better at throwing off other types of attacks.

Crusaders are pretty dang good at self-healing, actually. :smalltongue:

Ranger definitely has an edge on self-sufficiency where wilderness survival is concerned, of course.

Kaiyanwang
2010-03-09, 04:51 PM
Crusaders are pretty dang good at self-healing, actually. :smalltongue:

IIRC, (paradoxically?) better in-combat. Out of combat, only if you bend the rules in a "that rabbit was looking me wrong" manner...

Vizzerdrix
2010-03-09, 04:53 PM
Shadowsmiths can make their own gear on the fly. Healing and mobility are a bit of a problem, but you'll have 10 levels to figure something out.

umm... Feral template and a few of the aberrant feats maybe?

JoshuaZ
2010-03-09, 04:59 PM
IIRC, (paradoxically?) better in-combat. Out of combat, only if you bend the rules in a "that rabbit was looking me wrong" manner...

It sort of makes sense as some sort of adrenaline rush.

Kaiyanwang
2010-03-09, 05:03 PM
It sort of makes sense as some sort of adrenaline rush.

We have different views about HP (I don't like extraordinary DS healing) but I like the idea of the crusader saying what you said after killing the rabbit, near a ":smallannoyed:" druid.

"Sorry for the rabbit. Was an adrenaline rush".

Anyway, Vizzerdrix raised a good point: we talked about healing, but what about equipment?

Thalnawr
2010-03-09, 05:13 PM
Anyway, Vizzerdrix raised a good point: we talked about healing, but what about equipment?
The warblade with Weapon Proficiency - Ice Cream Scoop...

Darklord Xavez
2010-03-09, 05:16 PM
Rangers are rather self-sufficient at slightly higher levels. They can wield magic items such as a wand of cure light wounds because of their divine spellcasting, they can prepare a few minor healing spells, they are good in the outdoors, and they have survival and heal as class skills. In addition, their animal companion can provide extra melee support. The ranger is probably one of the best classes.
-Xavez
Even better: A warforged ranger.

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-09, 05:22 PM
Rangers are rather self-sufficient at slightly higher levels. They can wield magic items such as a wand of cure light wounds because of their divine spellcasting, they can prepare a few minor healing spells, they are good in the outdoors, and they have survival and heal as class skills. In addition, their animal companion can provide extra melee support. The ranger is probably one of the best classes.
-Xavez
Even better: A warforged ranger.

I hope you mean in core for self sufficiency.

Optimystik
2010-03-09, 05:24 PM
Elan Psywar with Soulbound Weapon. Immortality without needing food/drink, self-healing, and you automatically get a scaling weapon. Call Armor lets you nab gear from all over the multiverse, plus your other powers let you buff yourself to the nines.

Vizzerdrix
2010-03-09, 05:49 PM

Huzzah! I contributed in a positive manner ^_^

Anyways,

Item Familiar feat/ Ancestral Relic: A masterwork potion belt turned in to a healer's belt, monks belt, etc. Just keep stacking belts onto this one belt until you've covered all your bases with one feat. Just don't loose it! An item familiar belt will allow you to dump skill points into Craft: Alchemy and make healing salves and dither bombs at a rapid pace for healing and damage. Tanglefoot bags, smoke sticks and thunder stones grant a bit of battlefield control.

Kensai: Hmm... is their any drain life enchantments? Something that restores HP instead of adding temporary HP?

Monk: A poo class, but it gets you scaling damage and an AC boost. I could see a dip if you must be self sustaining from level 1.

Wildshape ranger: All the versatility you'd ever want. Damage and AC boosts, and I think you can heal if you turn into a vivisecter (aberrant wildshape) by eating organs. Yum, kidney pies!

Monk-2/ Fighter-2 /Pyrokinetisist-6/ Shadowsmith-10 warforged should be self sustaining enough to get through most situations I'd think.

AslanCross
2010-03-09, 05:56 PM
There are a whole bunch of magic items that allow a character to be 'self-sufficient,' but I guess relying on magic items doesn't really make one self-sufficient.

Let me list them here anyway:
-Everlasting Rations (Enough food for a medium character's daily intake)
-Survival Pouch (Lots of nifty tools here. And it gives you food as well.)
-Field Provisions Box (The more I think about this, the more I envision it as an everlasting pizza.)
-Replenishing Skin (Fills up with clean water.)
-Ioun Stone (Can't remember which one)
-Quori Embedded Component (can't remember what it's called). Kalashtar or Inspired only.

Draz74
2010-03-09, 06:01 PM
Factotum can be pretty self-sufficient. Especially with Vow of Poverty?

Warlock can be a melee class. With the ability to create any magic item, it can indirectly be self-sufficient.

Vizzerdrix
2010-03-09, 06:04 PM
There are a whole bunch of magic items that allow a character to be 'self-sufficient,' but I guess relying on magic items doesn't really make one self-sufficient.

Not unless you can create them yourself, I'd assume.

Nice list of gear btw.

Rezby
2010-03-09, 06:05 PM

Warlock can be a melee class. With the ability to create any magic item, it can indirectly be self-sufficient.

A Factotum could be even more self-sufficient if it doesn't take Sacred Vow and Vow of Poverty and instead takes Craft Wondrous Item and another Craft Feat. Just make anything you don't already have as a class skill.

ALternatively throw a level for Feral, fast healing, you're good.

EDIT: On the whole, Factotums are pretty self-sufficient on their own.

Bibliomancer
2010-03-09, 06:06 PM

I thought that it can USE any magic item with the deceive magic ability. I don't think that acts as a prerequisite for item creation.

Are you thinking of artificer? They're almost as competent as a cleric in melee (ie, far better than any 'built for melee' class outside of the ToB, and probably better than most of the possibilities from said supplement).

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-09, 06:08 PM
I thought that it can USE any magic item with the deceive magic ability. I don't think that acts as a prerequisite for item creation.

Are you thinking of artificer? They're almost as competent as a cleric in melee (ie, far better than any 'built for melee' class outside of the ToB, and probably better than most of the possibilities from said supplement).

No, they're two different abilities. Imbue Item specifically states you can create any magic item.

Zergrusheddie
2010-03-09, 08:17 PM
Sadly, most of the ideas presented here are just ways of melee characters emulating magic. Makes me cry for melee :smallfrown:

Thurbane
2010-03-09, 08:19 PM
Binder/Knight of the Sacred Seal isn't bad...various vestiges allow you to summon full plate, a magic maul and give you fast healing (and the ability to heal everyone in your party up to full out of combat).

Gametime
2010-03-09, 09:28 PM
Binder/Knight of the Sacred Seal isn't bad...various vestiges allow you to summon full plate, a magic maul and give you fast healing (and the ability to heal everyone in your party up to full out of combat).

Especially if the online vestige is allowed. You can summon your own comrades out of thin air more or less indefinitely.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-03-09, 10:49 PM
Not unless you can create them yourself, I'd assume.

Nice list of gear btw.

Warlock12/Chameleon2. Ultimate item crafter. Use floating feat to replicate any given Item Creation feat to create any given item you want.

Optimystik
2010-03-10, 06:29 AM
Sadly, most of the ideas presented here are just ways of melee characters emulating magic. Makes me cry for melee :smallfrown:

To quote the Horadrim: "Might and magic are two spokes of the same wheel. In lacking one, you lack both."

Yes, Knight of the Sacred Seal is an amazing melee class, especially paired with a melee-centric vestige like Savnok.

Incarnum Blade is fun too.

Cyclocone
2010-03-10, 06:46 AM
Would a Neraph Sorcerer count if he polymorphs into a planetar and beats people up?