PDA

View Full Version : 4e Advice: Invisibility or Teleportation

rayne_dragon
2010-03-09, 04:53 PM
Basically which is better?

I'm playing in a 4e Dragonlance game with story-based advancement and I have the option of leveling to 11th now if I take the Arcane Wayfarer PP, or I can wait until later and take my choice of PP, likely Unseen Magus.

Other information that might affect advice: I cannot take any wizard powers with the following keywords: necrotic, poison, fear, charm, sleep, healing. I'm also not allowed certain utilities: shield, dispel magic, resistance, and mass resistance being notable. I also sometimes get extra dailies based on the phase of the moon to compensate for the restriction.

My character:

Ilvarion, Eladrin Red Robe Wizard (orb of imposition)

STR: 10, CON: 12, DEX: 18, INT: 22, WIS: 18, CHA: 14 (the DM wanted us to roll high stats)

At-wills: illusory ambush, thunderwave
Encounter powers: grasping shadows, fire shroud, enemies abound
Daily Powers: Horrid whispers (acid arrow in book), Visions of Avarice (Acid mire in book), Wall of Fire (ice storm in book)
Utilities: Expeditious retreat (float in book), Wizard's Sidestep (Emerald eye in book), Blur (Illusory Wall in book)

Feats: ritual caster, eladrin sword wizardry, enlarge spell, phantom echoes, melee training, impliment expertise (orb), dual impliment spellcaster

If I level I'm either retraining orb of imposition into tome of readiness (as allowed by my DM because of the errata) and taking focused expertise, or if my DM decides to ignore the errata I'm considering improved orb of imposition and retraining melee training into spell focus.

Thanks in advance, I don't normally ask for help with my characters, but I'm having a tough time figuring out if I should advance now (I have nothing against Arcane Wayfarer), or if I should wait (Unseen Mage seems a little better for me, but I don't know how much longer it will be until I get another chance to progress).

Yakk
2010-03-09, 05:19 PM
Note that by core 4e RAW, you don't have to choose a Paragon Path at the moment you level to level 11.

You can play, by 4e RAW, a level 11 wizard with no Paragon Path.

IIRC, unseen mage has lots of stuff that triggers off going invisible. You don't seem to have invisibility powers yet?

I've been tempted by both PP in the past, so I think both are at least half decent.

What is the rest of your party like?

rayne_dragon
2010-03-09, 10:01 PM
Right now we have another wizard (white robe), an avenger, a knight (a sort of fighter/cleric hybrid with paladin's lay on hands), an invoker, and a cleric. Our usual composition was a bard, barbarian, a hybrid fighter/cleric, a rogue, and a cleric in addition to me, but four of them met with an accident while the cleric and I were elsewhere - we're trying to recover the bodies now.

Thanks for the RAW info, I'll see about it, but I'm thinking my DM will make me take a PP in order to level.