PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Mounted Feats

mummy162
2010-03-09, 05:02 PM
I need feats for a melee mounted build. Mounted combat, obviously, but what other ones are good?

TaintedLight
2010-03-09, 05:07 PM
Spirited Charge is excellent win. Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Shocktrooper is a chain you should look at as well.

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-09, 05:09 PM
First of all, how did you obtain your mount? Leadership, Class Feature, Spell effect, GP, or Wild Cohort?

Because the options we give you are going to vary based on the style of mount you have.

Darklord Xavez
2010-03-09, 05:10 PM
Cavalry Charger from the Complete Warrior. Also, you need Mounted Combat to get Mounted Archery, Spirited Charge, and Trample (a prerequisite for Cavalry Charger). Trample isn't that good, but Cavalry Charger lets you trample more than once per round.
-Xavez
Edit:

Spirited Charge is excellent win. Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Shocktrooper is a chain you should look at as well.
Cavalry Charger is sort of the mounted version of Shocktrooper, which is better when you're not mounted.

mummy162
2010-03-09, 05:16 PM
First of all, how did you obtain your mount? Leadership, Class Feature, Spell effect, GP, or Wild Cohort?

Because the options we give you are going to vary based on the style of mount you have.

Either a Paladin or Knight.

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-09, 05:20 PM
Either a Paladin or Knight.

Knights don't get a Mount, they get the Mounted Combat feat as a bonus feat.

If you go Knight, take Wild Cohort. Easily replaced minion who you can protect with your class features.

Person_Man
2010-03-09, 05:21 PM
Mounted Combat, Ride By Attack, Spirited Charge: Basis of most mounted builds. Don't bother with Trample.

Power Attack: Pretty standard for every melee build. Be sure to use your lance two handed.

Leadership: The most strait forward way of getting a mount that doesn’t die after a few hits. Alternatively, you could buy a Figurine of Wondrous Power, take Improved Familiar, be a Paladin, etc.

Saddleback: You can Take 10 on Ride checks and use Ride in place of Reflex Saves once per round for you and your mount. Player’s Guide to Faerun pg 43.

Tunnel Fighter: When you hit your enemy from higher ground (like when you’re mounted, or climb/fly above the enemy), your enemy must make a Balance check or be knocked Prone or give up his next Move action. When in a tunnel, you can block line of site, so your enemies can’t target your allies standing behind you. (Useful if you spend a lot of time in dungeons). Requires that you be a Dwarf or Gnome. Dungeonscape pg 46.

Tremendous Charge: Use your mount's Str mod instead of your own when charging with a lance. Unfortunately the lance has to make a Fort Save or be shattered, but this can be bypassed by making it out of Riverine (can't be destroyed by anything short of Disintegrate and a few other high level spells) or by taking Quickdraw. Dragonlance Campaign Setting

Shield Slam: When you charge an enemy and attack with your Shield, you get a free Trip attack (from the Shield Charge pre-req) and your enemy must Save or be Dazed (which nothing is immune to) for 1 round. A good mid level combo for a mounted build that focuses on defense and lockdown more then offense. A nice DM might let you use it with Pounce, making it far more effective. Otherwise it loses it’s usefulness by ECL 11+ (or earlier). Requires Shield Bash and Shield Charge. Complete Warrior pg 105.

What's the specifics of the build you're putting together?

mummy162
2010-03-09, 05:34 PM
Knights don't get a Mount, they get the Mounted Combat feat as a bonus feat.

If you go Knight, take Wild Cohort. Easily replaced minion who you can protect with your class features.

I know they don't get a mount, but it's fairly easy for them to get one.

I'm working on a homebrew PrC; I wanted to see what feats I should be looking at.