PDA

View Full Version : PBP questions

Gopalkrishna
2010-03-09, 06:06 PM
I'd like to get involved with some PBP, but want to be as educated as possible before I dive in. Are there any codes of conduct that I should adhere to that might not be obvious to someone whose only played IRL before? Also, I noticed that on a lot of the boards that were starting games people were somehow magically using an in forum dice rolling, how does that work? Here to be teachable, -Gopalkrishna

Icewalker
2010-03-09, 06:14 PM
Guide to Play by Post Games (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46074). That should answer most of your questions.

Also, to do rolls (they don't work in the Friendly Banter subforum, just pbp and a few others) the syntax is:

1d6 rolls 1d6.
5d6+3 pretty self explanatory.
4d6b3 rolls 4d6 and takes the three best.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-09, 07:08 PM
Get used to seeing the "Big 16". This is 16 questions people put in the intro post for recruitment threads, they are a marvel of time saving coz they answer all the questions you initially need.

No real code of conduct except don't post in a game's actual threads unless you are in the game or have permission. Otherwise the IC (In Character) and OOC (Out Of Character) threads are off limits. You can feel free to lurk if you like.

Edit: Then again just read the link and ignore me coz it tells you everything you need. Like, everything.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-03-09, 08:03 PM
Not quite code of conduct or anything, but don't be surprised if a game you're in dies. At least half of the games in the boards seem to die.

wadledo
2010-03-09, 10:05 PM
More than half.
Like 5/6ths.

Umael
2010-03-10, 12:25 AM
I have yet to play in a PbP game on this forum, but I am involved in my third one on a different forum. I think part of the reason why PbP games in this forum die is because of the way they are structured.

The games I have been in have been an entire forum created just for the purpose of running a PbP game - not just a few threads.

A bit more work involved, but more fun.

Katana_Geldar
2010-03-10, 02:03 AM
ALL of the games I have been on here have died, and all of them because the DM/GM abandoned them. :smallmad: