PDA

View Full Version : I was attacked by a wild hog!

Froogleyboy
2010-03-09, 06:08 PM
or, rather, a baby pot-bellied, but all the same. Actually, I got my little piglet today. she is so cute! her name is Rosie, and she has quite the attitude. She is checking everything out just grunting :)

Solaris
2010-03-09, 06:11 PM
{scrubbed}

FoE
2010-03-09, 06:11 PM
And yet you don't post any pictures. What kind of pet-lover are you?

Froogleyboy
2010-03-09, 06:12 PM
i haven't my camera :(

Crimmy
2010-03-09, 06:13 PM
And yet you don't post any pictures. What kind of pet-lover are you?

:smallbiggrin:

Solaris
2010-03-09, 06:16 PM
{Scrubbed}

Phase
2010-03-09, 06:28 PM
This thread is less exciting than I had hoped.

It is not wild, it is domesticated.

Coidzor
2010-03-09, 07:21 PM
Considering what pigs are like when they grow up, there's not a whole lot of difference between a wild sow and an adult domesticated sow.

They'll still bite clean through your leg if they get the chance.

Worira
2010-03-09, 08:13 PM
Not if you beat them to it.

Bhu
2010-03-09, 08:58 PM
treat your piggy well they can get meanish in their old age.

GenPol
2010-03-09, 08:59 PM
Not if you beat them to it.

Me: That's an interesting image.
That-other-guy-in-my-head-that's-alway's-messing-with-me: Well how do you eat your bacon?

I think I should probably get some sleep now... :smalltongue:

Blaine.Bush
2010-03-09, 10:24 PM
{Scrubbed}

Rutskarn
2010-03-09, 10:49 PM
{Scrubbed}

Should you get a pet of any kind, I will be there to say precisely this thing.

Starscream
2010-03-09, 10:49 PM
{Scrubbed}

http://i42.tinypic.com/20pacme.jpg

Blaine.Bush
2010-03-09, 10:54 PM
Should you get a pet of any kind, I will be there to say precisely this thing.

D'aww. Thanks. :smallsmile:

valadil
2010-03-09, 11:11 PM
If you haven't already seen it, check out South Park season 1 episode 5. (Yes I had to look up the season/episode. I'm not that much of a nerd.)

bluewind95
2010-03-09, 11:13 PM
{Scrubbed}

That's just plain tactless. Yeah, yeah, so people eat pigs. That doesn't mean every single pig *has* to be eaten. This pig is intended to be a pet. Kind of like fish. People eat fish. But people also keep lots of pet fish in aquariums. Pigs are no different in that aspect.

TheThan
2010-03-09, 11:25 PM
Random fact:

Did you know that pigs are the natural enemy of rattlesnakes?

That’s right, pigs KILL rattlesnakes. So if you have a snake problem where you live, a good way to solve it is by getting a pot-bellied pig.

Coidzor
2010-03-09, 11:27 PM
Once they hit sixish though, they tend to become omnicidal. Unless they've been raised very well and have a naturally calm disposition. And have enough space and don't reproduce.

Innis Cabal
2010-03-09, 11:46 PM
That's just plain tactless. Yeah, yeah, so people eat pigs. That doesn't mean every single pig *has* to be eaten. This pig is intended to be a pet. Kind of like fish. People eat fish. But people also keep lots of pet fish in aquariums. Pigs are no different in that aspect.

People don't keep trout as pets. Its not really the same thing.

Coidzor
2010-03-09, 11:48 PM
Well, on the other hand, it might be like koi. It's a pet you can eat when it gets big and ornery.

Solaris
2010-03-10, 01:26 AM

Yeah, and if my aquarium fish were good eatin' they'd be on the dinner plate when they get old and crotchety too.
Guess what's happening to the cat when she finally kicks the bucket. Not so much the dog, that's not good eatin'.

Froogleyboy
2010-03-10, 09:08 AM
Pot-bellied pigs are bred to be pets. Well, I guess not everyone on the playground is . . . tolerable

Asta Kask
2010-03-10, 09:35 AM
We want pictures! Pictures! I bet she's adorable. Will you let her sleep in your bed, knowing that she will eventually weigh more than you? Does she have a lot of dirt outside that it can root in? More information, please!

Froogleyboy
2010-03-10, 09:46 AM
Yeah, she sleeps with me, I was scared of rolling over on her at first, but she is so cute, I couldn't deny her my bed. She's still skitish, but that'll change

Asta Kask
2010-03-10, 09:50 AM
Yeah, she sleeps with me, I was scared of rolling over on her at first, but she is so cute, I couldn't deny her my bed.

That's very rare, actually. Small pets activate the same safe guards that make it unlikely that we roll over on our babies when we share beds with them.

Froogleyboy
2010-03-10, 10:00 AM
That's very rare, actually. Small pets activate the same safe guards that make it unlikely that we roll over on our babies when we share beds with them.

oh, i didn't know that, awesome

Asta Kask
2010-03-10, 10:13 AM
Is she house-trained? And does she have adequate rooting grounds?

Froogleyboy
2010-03-10, 10:16 AM
We're in the middle of training her, and, yeah, she has place to root

Incompleat
2010-03-10, 11:00 AM
I was attacked by a wild boar once - well, it probably just wanted me out of its territory or something, because it did not chase me much while I was running away like hell.

Not the greatest fun I ever had, though.

Solaris
2010-03-10, 11:02 AM
Pot-bellied pigs are bred to be pets. Well, I guess not everyone on the playground is . . . tolerable

Some of us are just hungry.

Asta Kask
2010-03-10, 11:04 AM
You know, Solaris, it's really not comedy if they're not laughing. And they're not.

Froogleyboy
2010-03-10, 11:11 AM
Well, i can take the bacon jokes, but when someone just blatantly says "kill it" it makes you mad

truemane
2010-03-10, 01:20 PM
On the other hand, at the risk of playing Devil's advocate, if something like that makes you angry, then the Internet might not be the best place to spend your time. Even so friendly a corner of the Internet as the Playground.

Froogleyboy
2010-03-10, 01:32 PM
:( She's not eating, what can I do

Syka
2010-03-10, 01:36 PM
Call a vet?

Likely, she's just stressed out being in a new environment. I'd let her alone for a bit (let her approach you, etc) with food and drink around and wait it out. A vet might have more info, or a pig-specific forum.

When I first got Saffron (Russian Dwarf Hamster) she was scratching the bejeezus out of herself. No fur was being lost or anything, but I was totally freaked out that she had mites (which you can't usually see with the naked eye). I called a local exotic animal vet (which is probably what you would do), and they said A. smaller rodents scratch more and B. it was most likely her getting used to a new environment and if it kept up more than a couple weeks to bring her in.

Asta Kask
2010-03-10, 02:23 PM

Wait. Give her time. Like Syka said, she's probably stressed.

Perhaps she had a large meal before she left the breeder. How often do pigs eat anyway?

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-03-10, 02:32 PM

Quick, feed her, otherwise there won't be enough bacon left for breakfast! :smallwink:

Also, I have a vegetarian friend to show this thread to.

Irbis
2010-03-10, 03:11 PM
treat your piggy well they can get meanish in their old age.

Old age? You mean wait until the meat actually gets worse? :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2010-03-10, 03:31 PM
Pigs don't get worse meat, they just get more meat. Like, 9000+% increases in bacon mass, volume, and density.

Maybe leave some food out near her in a quiet area that she's been in more often so she can acclimate without more sensory overload?

What've you tried giving her? Unlikely as it is, she might not recognize it as food?

Froogleyboy
2010-03-10, 03:33 PM
first I tried to bottle feed her with goats milk, then I tried baby cereal and baby food, then wet dog food.

truemane
2010-03-10, 03:39 PM
It's completely normal for animals not to eat for a day or two when they move to a new environment. Make sure she knows where the food is. Put her by it every few hours. Don't get stressed or you'll stress her out.

Then just relax and wait.

Coidzor
2010-03-10, 03:39 PM
Hmm. It has been weaned, right?

Irbis
2010-03-10, 03:41 PM
Pigs don't get worse meat, they just get more meat.

Old meat is string. It's best to feed it with large amounts of grain, to make big amounts of tender mass while it's still young and soft :smallwink:

Jayngfet
2010-03-10, 03:44 PM
I vagueley recall a time when I had a pig, back when I was in preschool or daycare. My parents sold it for food, which is depressing even now:smallfrown:.

Understandably, I don't fine the 'eat it' stuff to be amusing.:smallannoyed:

Irbis
2010-03-10, 03:56 PM
Awww, cruel drańs. Still, what's wrong there is taking away from the kid against his consent, not act of eating.

Mmmm, scrambled eggs with pate, pepper and bacon... :smalltongue:

Froogleyboy
2010-03-10, 03:57 PM
Hmm. It has been weaned, right?

I don't know :(

Jayngfet
2010-03-10, 04:02 PM

If you can, go back to the perso you got it from and check, it's probably a good idea to ask a few questions to prepare yourself besides that anyway. Any history of afflictions in the bloodline, prior living conditions, what it was fed before that if weaned.

Asta Kask
2010-03-10, 04:02 PM

Perhaps she's just not hungry. I'd wait for at least a day before calling the vet.

She'll be alright.

Roland St. Jude
2010-03-10, 05:11 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Please stop trolling with the "eat the pet" comments.

GenPol
2010-03-10, 05:18 PM

I wouldn't get paranoid, but if this continues for more than a day or two, you should probably have the vet take a look. Not knowing much about pigs, I'm not sure if it could be just because the pig is in a new and scary place and is (understandably) overwhelmed, or something more serious. It might be a good idea to give the vet a call and ask him/her if you think your pig needs to be looked at.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. :smallsmile:

Froogleyboy
2010-03-10, 06:20 PM

thank you Roland :)

Bhu
2010-03-10, 06:43 PM
http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/potbelliedpigs/a/pbpexpect.htm

http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/potbelliedpigs/a/aa052103.htm

http://www.pigs.org/article.asp?article_id=3

http://www.pigs4ever.com/PotBelliedPigInfo/FAQs.htm

http://www.webfoot.net/nappa/

http://www.potbellypigs.com/

try some of these links they may have soemthing to help

Jayngfet
2010-03-10, 06:45 PM

Finally! Between this and the bloops tired old Cthulhu jokes I was wondering if ANYONE on gitp had anything useful to say anymore.

Coidzor
2010-03-10, 09:22 PM
^: nope. Never had anything useful to say to begin with. :smallwink:

How old is it, again? If it's younger than 6 weeks, odds are it hasn't begun to get weaned.

Vaynor
2010-03-10, 09:26 PM
We (my family) own a pot-bellied pig as well, her name is Miss Chubby Lumps (or Daisy for short). She's kind of scary, we got her from a shelter and I don't think she got much attention as a piglet. She's still pretty cute though (when she isn't eating).

Inhuman Bot
2010-03-10, 09:28 PM
Finally! Between this and the bloops tired old Cthulhu jokes I was wondering if ANYONE on gitp had anything useful to say anymore.

Bloops tired old Cthulhu jokes?

Rutskarn
2010-03-10, 09:28 PM
Yeah, she sleeps with me, I was scared of rolling over on her at first, but she is so cute, I couldn't deny her my bed. She's still skitish, but that'll change

I can not WAIT to take this flagrantly out of context.

Inhuman Bot
2010-03-10, 09:31 PM
I can not WAIT to take this flagrantly out of context.

So it wasn't just me! :smalltongue:

Jayngfet
2010-03-10, 09:31 PM
Bloops tired old Cthulhu jokes?

There was a thread on "the bloop". It's a mysterious noise found close to the south pole eleven or so years ago. It's probably biological, and a hundred times bigger than any animal anyone thinks ever existed.

The first page and a half of the thread was the same joke about it being Cthulhu over and over again. Literally so little variation you could read one and skip and have learned just as much from the thread. It actually took a ways down the second page for anyone to even think about seriously discussing it.

Apparently people didn't realize it stopped being funny almost as soon as the joke was made(and forgot the same joke had been made every time anyone anywhere brings it up). So the thread almost choked and died because of the sort of immature crap that seems to be on the rise on this forum.

Inhuman Bot
2010-03-10, 09:38 PM
Apparently people didn't realize it stophttp://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/editor/smilie.gifped being funny almost as soon as the joke was made(and forgot the same joke had been made every time anyone anywhere brings it up). So the thread almost choked and died because of the sort of immature crap that seems to be on the rise on this forum.

I agree

The forums used to be so much better (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FanDumb)

*Casually flips down the page, hits Old Timer.*

Nah, that's not me. :smalltongue:
I haven't been around long enough, of course.
:smallwink:

Erloas
2010-03-10, 11:26 PM
Can we make jokes about eating Froogleyboy instead then, hes probably almost as tender as a piglet.

I haven't known anyone with a pet pig yet. I thought there was some version that was usually keep as a pet that didn't get nearly as big as regular pigs.

Vaynor
2010-03-10, 11:28 PM
Can we make jokes about eating Froogleyboy instead then, hes probably almost as tender as a piglet.

I haven't known anyone with a pet pig yet. I thought there was some version that was usually keep as a pet that didn't get nearly as big as regular pigs.

The type of pig that doesn't get as big as a "regular" pig is a pot-bellied pig (at least one of them). The domesticated kind, the species we normally eat, are much, much larger.

Jayngfet
2010-03-10, 11:33 PM
Really? I remember going to a zoo where they let an old male pot belly roam around most hours of the day. It's been a couple of years since I was there but I recall him being a huge black hairy thing that grunted a lot.

This may just be the fact that he was there when I was so young he seemed MUCH larger, but it probably has some basis in fact.

EDIT: I just checked that zoo's site. It's a 200lb female, and so large they're suspecting some non pot belly heritage thrown in there.

Vaynor
2010-03-11, 12:36 AM
Really? I remember going to a zoo where they let an old male pot belly roam around most hours of the day. It's been a couple of years since I was there but I recall him being a huge black hairy thing that grunted a lot.

This may just be the fact that he was there when I was so young he seemed MUCH larger, but it probably has some basis in fact.

EDIT: I just checked that zoo's site. It's a 200lb female, and so large they're suspecting some non pot belly heritage thrown in there.

Yeah, I'm sure some get quite large but the average pot-bellied pig is much smaller than the variety we eat.

JonestheSpy
2010-03-11, 01:59 AM
I have to admit this thread is a little less exiticng than I'd hoped, as well. I've thought for awhile that I'd like to try hunting for wild boar, becasue A) boar are a non-native species in the Americas (all are descended from escaped domestic pigs, actually) and are very destructive, ecologiclly; and B) it strikes me as much more fair to hunt for something that could kill you if given the chance, as opposed to shooting Bambi's mom.

Oh, and of course C) bacon.

That said, I've heard pot-bellied pigs make very nice pets, and pigs are certainly very smart. As for the folks making jokes about eating someone's pet - remember that dogs are considered a meat animal in a lot of the world.

Coidzor
2010-03-11, 02:38 AM
My grandpa was actually out doing a soil survey when he got attacked by a brood sow that was part of a mess of hogs that the owner has running mostly wild on his property and occasionally had them, well, escape.

He'd thought he'd walked on top of a bear and it had gotten him by the leg and thrown him. If it weren't for the fact that he was wearing aluminum snake-bite guards, he would've likely bled out from losing most of his leg.

There's a reason you don't want them to think nipping or biting is ok.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-11, 03:25 AM
We demand pictures!:smalltongue:

I probably wouldn't be a very good owner but a little pig does sound kind of cute.

Coidzor
2010-03-11, 03:28 AM
Yes. Especially baby's first meal is relevant to our interests.

llamamushroom
2010-03-11, 03:46 AM
I'm going to semi-echo Coidzor - your pig probably isn't used to being fed what you're feeding it. My friend had the same problem with his dog when he first got her. In fact, if they hadn't asked the breeder what he'd been feeding her she probably wouldn't've eaten for quite some time (which is not encouraging for anyone).

So, basically, you have to ask the breeder what he's been feeding it until now and then make sure you have some 'proper' pig food - wet dog food doesn't sound like it would quite hit the spot.

Froogleyboy
2010-03-11, 05:05 PM
She fianally ate! she only eats if I hand feed her, and she only eats if I feed her kibbles and bits soaked it milk :)

Asta Kask
2010-03-11, 05:08 PM
She fianally ate! she only eats if I hand feed her, and she only eats if I feed her kibbles and bits soaked it milk :)

Don't let her get too used to that kind of service. Might cause trouble later on...

But it's good to hear that she's better. Kiss her from me!

Froogleyboy
2010-03-11, 05:10 PM
Kiss her from me!

sure thing, will do!

Asta Kask
2010-03-12, 08:51 AM
When will see pictures? And when will you begin its training as an attack pig?

Mystic Muse
2010-03-12, 03:48 PM
I notice a distinct lack of pictures.

please get some?

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-03-12, 04:01 PM
I had a pot-bellied pig as a pet for years, and though I'm an animal lover and will hug chickens... that was the most obnoxious creature I've ever met. Raised her from a piglet and was a total twit from the beginning. When she got older had her own fenced in field with trees for shade, dog house with fresh hay and blanket... but every day she'd try to get out. Then had to catch her (because she'd always run) and as she refused any training with a leash or halter, would have to lug porky up and put her back in. And the screams she'd make as I carried her... never struck an animal (attacking roosters notwithstanding) but to this day when I hear a pig squall I want to kick something.

*makes face*

Good luck with her though... :smalltongue:

Leon
2010-03-15, 06:52 AM
Not quite what i was expecting from the title, She sounds so cute.

TheCountAlucard
2010-03-15, 07:33 AM
Should you get a pet of any kind, I will be there to say precisely this thing.What about an ant farm? :smalleek: Does that count? :smallconfused:

Asta Kask
2010-03-17, 02:34 AM
Pictures! Pictures! We demand pictures!

llamamushroom
2010-03-17, 02:41 AM
Show us the adorable pig!

Also, good to hear she's eating - hope that's the worst trouble you ever have with her.

... Is it a girl, or did I start making up details again?

Amiel
2010-03-17, 03:21 AM
Is it wrong to feed pigs: bacon, pork byproducts or any derivation thereof?

Coidzor
2010-03-17, 03:32 AM
Something that's been cooked in the same pan as something pork-based I'd say would be ok.

Setting out to feed it bacon would be sketchy at best. Still, considering how much pigs love the taste of bacon, I wouldn't lose sleep over some pig-meat getting into the pig's diet, though I wouldn't want to make a habit out of it.

Not like you'll get a wendigo-porker. And you're unlikely to set up a mad-cow type situation within a generation through piece-meal efforts.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-17, 10:22 AM
Pictures! has them you do not!

Archonic Energy
2010-03-17, 10:48 AM

that has the be one of the oddest Mod comments i've ever read here... i'd love to sig it.

Asta Kask
2010-03-19, 11:10 AM
What do we want?
Pictures, pictures!
When do we want them?
Now, now!
When?
Now!
When?
Now!
WHEN!
NOW!

bluewind95
2010-03-19, 11:15 AM
I agree. We want pics of the little pig.