PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Calendar Generator

Ignatius
2010-03-09, 11:36 PM
Hello everyone...

Just thought I would share something with you all that I just threw together thismorning. (If this is not the right area for this, could it be moved to wherever it should be?)

I was in the process of creating a calendar for one of the games we are running at the moment, and decided to build a calendar generator so that I wouldnt have to fiddle around all the time when I need to move across years, or change details for another campaign etc.

Anyway... the calendar generator is available at http://www.eightcharacters.com.au/calendar... I would love to know what you think of it, and also how or if you implement a realistic calendar into your campaigns and if you have run into any challenges because of it...

Malificus
2010-03-09, 11:37 PM
Hello everyone...

Just thought I would share something with you all that I just threw together thismorning. (If this is not the right area for this, could it be moved to wherever it should be?)

I was in the process of creating a calendar for one of the games we are running at the moment, and decided to build a calendar generator so that I wouldnt have to fiddle around all the time when I need to move across years, or change details for another campaign etc.

Anyway... the calendar generator is available at http://www.eightcharacters.com/calendar... I would love to know what you think of it, and also how or if you implement a realistic calendar into your campaigns and if you have run into any challenges because of it...

I'd try it, but the site page does not work for me.

vicente408
2010-03-09, 11:41 PM
Fixed URL: http://www.eightcharacters.com.au/calendar/

ericgrau
2010-03-10, 12:01 AM
A save function might be nice. Maybe generate some kind of code so you can copy paste it in and then edit your calendar.

Ignatius
2010-03-10, 12:06 AM
Sorry about the dodgy URL... I will edit that...

I only recently swapped to the .com.au domain!

Yeah, an export to CSV and PDF were next on my list of things to add...

Mortuis
2010-03-16, 08:57 AM
This is a great program. Something that let you input text into the days would be useful as well as being able to define recurring events. But saving the resulting html has given me a good place to start.

Blackfang108
2010-03-16, 09:01 AM
Sorry about the dodgy URL... I will edit that...

I only recently swapped to the .com.au domain!

Yeah, an export to CSV and PDF were next on my list of things to add...

and .XLS

Don't forget Excel!

RagnaroksChosen
2010-03-16, 09:06 AM
Thats pritty sweet.

Grumman
2010-03-16, 09:12 AM
and .XLS

Don't forget Excel!
That's what the *.csv (Comma Seperated Variable) is for. It's an easy way to create an Excel-readable spreadsheet from scratch.

Melayl
2010-03-24, 08:05 PM
This is great! I've been searching for something like this for a long time now. My only suggestion (in addition to the saving/exporting) would be if you could make it so a user could look forward and backward in time (to see what dates/days things happened/will happen).

Ajores
2010-05-30, 11:05 AM
This is great! I've been searching for something like this for a long time now. My only suggestion (in addition to the saving/exporting) would be if you could make it so a user could look forward and backward in time (to see what dates/days things happened/will happen).

I completely agree, as well as something to input the number of moons, then names of those moons, and how many days it takes for each one to completely cycle would be really cool too!

Another_Poet
2010-05-30, 03:34 PM
First of all, my feedback may be biased, because I don't like using fantasy calendars in my RPGs. I find it is confusing for the players so I always just use the real-world months and weekday names, only changing the dating system (e.g. Year 300 of the Republic or such).

That said, I can see where it would be useful for others. It works great. My only criticism is that there is no option for "how many weeks to a month" which would be a nice option for a lunar calendar where every month has the same number of days. As it's currently set up, I would have to manually enter 28 days per month for each of the 14 months, which is kind of a pain.

Also there is no option for intercalary months or years, but those are quite common features of ancient calendars, nor an option for a "leap day" (intercalary day) which means you could not replicate the modern real-world calendar with your program.

However, I don't know how many GMs would actually put intercalary periods in their game world calendar, as it once again just makes it more confusing for the players.

ap

Academician
2010-10-28, 06:40 PM
This is wonderful! I needed exactly this for my game, and your tool got me just what I was looking for with no trouble at all. Thanks for making this.

Ignatius
2010-10-28, 06:55 PM
No problems... I am always working on little web apps that will make my DMing a little bit easier...

Glad you liked it!

Ignatius
2010-10-28, 07:28 PM
Just a note for anyone that stumbles across this old post... if there is some web based or iphone based app that would really save you time, post the requirements here and I will see what I can do for you.

Chuck
2010-11-01, 06:36 PM
Very nice! I've been working on a large personal project that could use something like this! I would love to talk to you off-list about this. Please contact me at cwfrizzell at gmail dot com.

Cheers!

Chuck