PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at making a class: The Shieldmaster

desmond1323
2010-03-10, 01:06 AM
So, now that I realized this is where this really belongs, let's try it again, and not get ahead of myself with habit in the future.

Many times over has the joke of dual-wielding shields come up amongst my several gaming groups....many times I have declared I'll make it an actual working class.

Being the lazy bastard that I am, and being a college student when I'm not, I've only recently started work on this.

Now for something completely different: I've made the class, though there's still a few things to do (A nice capstone, skills...and I think that's the only missing bits). Here it is:

desmond1323
2010-03-10, 01:07 AM
The Shieldmaster:

In a world full of countless dangers, you have trained to combat these the best way you know how: the best offense is a good defense in your eyes. You have begun the path to mastering the art of the shield, not only as a defensive tool, but as a viable weapon. Whereas others use a weapon with a shield in the offhand, you realize that if one shield has a defense of 2, then two of them must have a defense of 4. This mastery over the physical shield requires good control over one's body and mind and eventually you can block even magical attacks. In time, your mastery of defense can be applied to your allies as well.

Limits: None, open to all alignments, races, etc.

HD: d12
Proficiencies: No weapons, light and medium armor, all sheilds (except tower)

SHIELDMASTER
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Dual-Shield (Light/Light), Improved Shield Bash, Offensive Shield

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|Crushing Shield

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|Dual-Shield (offhand)

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|Bastion Body (+1/+1), Epitome of Defense (1/5)

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4|Light Shield Specialization, Shield Adaptation

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+2|
+5|Defend Another

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+2|
+5|Seamless Defense, Bastion Body (+2/+2)

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+6|Dual-Shield (Heavy/Light), Shield Ram, Epitome of Defense (2/5)

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+3|
+6|Lesser Rapid Defense

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+3|
+7|Shield Sling, Lesser Magical Defense, Bastion Body (+3/+3)

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+3|
+7|Parrying Shield

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+4|
+8|Improved Defend Another, Epitome of Defense (3/5)

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+4|
+8|Bastion Body (+4/+4)

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+4|
+9|Dual-Shield (Heavy/Heavy), Heavy Shield Specialization

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+5|
+9|Greater Magical Defense, Indomitable Soul

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+5|
+10|Greater Rapid Defense, Bastion Body (+5/+5), Epitome of Defense (4/5)

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|Instruction in Defense

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+11|Master Defend Another

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+11|Iron Muscles

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+12|Epitome of Defense (Max)[/table]

Bonus Feats: Improved Shield Bash, Shield Specialization (light shields), Great Fortitutde, Shield Sling, Iron Will, Parrying Shield, Shield Specialization (heavy shields), Indomitable Soul

Abilities=
*Dual-Shield: The Shieldmaster has trained to weild two shields effectively in combat. The player can equip a light shield in both hands, one as a weapon, the other as a standard shield. The Shieldmaster can add all shield bonuses granted by both shields to his AC. At 3rd level, the Shieldmaster can use his offhand shield as a weapon. The standard penalties for dual-wielding apply, and can be altered using the Two-Weapon Fighting feats.
At 8th level, the Shieldmaster can wield a heavy shield and a light shield. Both the strong hand and offhand weapon's damage also increases by one size category (1d4 to 1d6, 1d6 to 1d8, etc). His offhand shield is now treated as a light weapon, in regards to Two-Weapon Fighting penalties
At 14th level, the Shieldmaster can wield a heavy shield in both hands.

*Improved Shield Bash: Due to extensive training, a Shieldmaster's two shields are used in such a way to allow full offensive and defensive capabilities. You gain the Improved Shield Bash as a bonus feat, or--if you already possess the feat--another feat that you meet the prereqs for.

*Offensive Shield: A Shieldmaster's weapon is his shield and he treats it as such. He treats the shield in his strong hand as a weapon when it comes to MW bonuses and magical enchantments. He can also take weapon feats in regards to it as well (treat all shields as merely Shields in this regard). If he is caught without his shield, the Shieldmaster may improvise one out of a reasonable object (large dinner plate, tabletop, etc); the usual -4 penalties for improvised weapons apply. Due to his intensive training, a Shieldmaster also deals improved damage with his shields; his strong hand shield causes damage as if he were two size categories larger (for Medium=from 1d3 to 1d6), and his offhand shield causes damage as if he were one size category larger (for Medium=from 1d3 to 1d4). This can be further improved with shield spikes, as normal.

*Crushing Shield= At 2nd level, the Shieldmaster has begun to utilize both shields in an offense manner. Once per day, he can make an attack at his highest BAB using both his shields. This requires only one attack roll. He adds his full strength modifier to both shield's damage. On a successful hit, the target must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + SM level) or be dazed for 1d4 + SM's Str mod rounds. He gains an additional use of this ability at every even level, to a maximum of 10/day at 20th level.

*Bastion Body= At 4th level, the Shieldmaster's control over his own body and mind grants him a +1/+1 innate bonus to his Fortitude and Will saves. This increases by one every three levels to a maximum of +5/+5 at level 16.

*Epitome of Defense (X/5)= As he continues down the long road towards the perfect defense, the Shieldmaster accomplishes impressive feats of temporary resistances. Once per day (gaining an additional use every four levels, to a maximum of 5/day at level 20), he can use a standard action to use this abilty. At 4th level, the Shieldmaster ignores 1/5 (round down) of ANY and ALL forms of damage (after multipliers, etc.; this also applies to the duration of any effect in rounds, ie, at 4th level if he'd be stunned for 5 rounds, he is instead stunned for 4). This improves by 1/5 every 4 levels to a maximum of 4/5 at level 16. He is also immune to ANY and ALL spells and spell-like abilities that are cast at certain levels. At 4th, 1st level; at 8th, 3rd level; at 12th, 5th level; at 16th, 7th level.

*Light Shield Specialization= At 5th level, the Shieldmaster has used light shields so extensively, he gains the Shield Specialization (light shield) as a bonus feat, or--if you already possess the feat--another feat that you meet the prereqs for.

*Shield Adaptation= At 5th level, the Shieldmaster has focused on using shields to such an extent that he can now modify them to cause slashing damage via sharpening the edges. Any shield you own is considered to have been modified in this way, but can only be effectively used by the SM (or any other level 5 SM); to anyone else, it is merely a shield. As such, a SM can choose what sort of damage he desires to cause: piercing if using shield spikes, bashing if just a normal shield, or slashing with the sharpened edges.

*Great Fotitude= At 6th level your physical training has led to you being healthier than the average individual. You gain Great Fortitude as a bonus feat, or--if you already possess the feat--another feat that you meet the prereqs for.

*Defend Another= At 6th level, the Shieldmaster has mastered the art of defense to an extent that allows him to add his shield AC bonus to an adjacent ally. You can continue to do so as long as you remain in an adjacent square. While defending another, you can only make one attack and you lose your shield bonus to your AC.
At 12th level, you can defend an adjacent ally and retain half your shield AC bonus. You can still only make one attack.
At 18th level, you can defend an adjacent ally and retain your full AC. You can also make one aditional attack with your offhand shield.

*Seamless Defense= At 7th level, the Shieldmaster has begun perfecting the art of using two shields. Because of this, he can effectively defend himself even when surrounded by enemies. The Shieldmaster can no longer be flanked, as Improved Uncanny Dodge.

*Shield Ram= At 8th level, the Shieldmaster's growing expertise with the shield allows him to use his shields and body as a battering ram. This ability does provoke attacks of opportunity excepting in certain cases (see below), and a successful AoO stops the SM in his tracks. This ability can be used a number of times per day equal to 1/4 SM level + Con mod. The Shieldmaster must have at least 10 ft to gain enough momentum in order to ram effectively, and can not move more than twice his speed.
When used to make a Str check in regards to breaking (such as bashing down a door), the Shieldmaster adds (1/4 his SM level x every 10 feet moved past the first 10 (20 ft =1, 30 ft =2, etc) to his Str check. If he fails by 6 or more, the SM takes damage equal to 1d6x (# failed by/5, round down). If he fails by 11 or more, he must also make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + # failed by), or be stunned for 2d4 rounds - (1/2 Con mod).
When used against a creature/enemy/etc, the SM does not provoke an AoO against his target (any others still apply). Opposed Str checks are made, with the SM adding (1/4 his SM level x every 10 feet moved past the first 10 (20 ft =1, 30 ft =2, etc) to his check. The usual penalties/benfits for size apply. For every 5 the SM wins the check by, he pushes his target back 5 feet (or until they hit an obstacle/wall/another creature).

*Rapid Defense= At 9th level, you wield your shield with incredible speed. When you make a Reflex save, you can add half your strong hand's shield bonus to AC to your Reflex roll.
At level 16, your coordination with your shields is lightning fast, and you can add your strong hand's full shield AC bonus to your Reflex roll.

*Shield Sling= At 10th level, you master the art of using your shield as a ranged weapon if necessary. You gain Shield Sling as a bonus feat, or--if you already possess the feat--another feat that you meet the prereqs for.

*Magical Defense= At 10th level, you've developed your body as a bulwark of defense, even going so far as to resist magical effects. If a spell or spell-like ability would allow a Fortitude or Will save, you are treated as having Spell Resistance (10 + 1/2 level, round up).
At 15th level, your experience in a world filled with magic increases your skill at resisting certain magical effects. Your Spell Resistence against spells and spell-like abilities that allow a Fortitude or Will save increases (15 + 1/2 level, round up).

*Iron Will= At 11th level, your constant diligence and discipline allow you greater control over your own mind. You gain Iron Will as a bonus feat, or--if you already possess the feat--another feat that you meet the prereqs for.

*Parrying Shield= At 11th level, the Shieldmaster's shields are practically a part of his body, allowing him to block attacks that normally would bypass such things. He is granted the Parrying Shield feat as a bonus feat, so that he retains all AC granted to him by his shields to his touch AC. If he has already taken this feat, he may take another that he qualifies for.

*Heavy Shield Specialization= At 14th level, with mastery over the shield, not only can you now wield two heavy shields, but you wield them with incredible effectiveness. You gain Shield Specialization (heavy shields) as a bonus feat, or--if you already possess the feat--another feat that you meet the prereqs for.

*Indomitable Soul= At 15th level, in order to compensate for enemy spellcasters, you train your body and mind to a near perfect form. You gain Indomitable Soul as a bonus feat, regardless of whether you meet the requirements.

*Instruction in Defense= At 17th level, your expertise in defense allows you to help others in their own defense. 5 times per day, you can use a swift action to help an ally within 60ft of you. Pick one: You can allow them to instantly win any Fortitude save. You can allow them to instantly win any Will save. You can grant them a bonus to AC = to half your total shield AC. You must activate and use this ability before any save or damage is done.

*Iron Muscles= At 19th level, as the Shieldmaster nears perfect mastery over the defense of his body, he reaches perfection in control over that body. At a number of times equal to 3 + his Con mod per day, he can tighten up his muscles to grant himself DR 10/- for 1 min/con mod as a swift action. Using this ability takes a lot out of the Shieldmaster, and he becomes fatigued for 10 minutes once it ends.

*Epitome of Defense (Max)= At 20th level, your unwavering devotion in the art of defense has reached near supernatural levels. At a number of times per day equal to your SM level/4, you may take a standard action to make yourself completely invulnerable to all attacks, spells, and spell-like effects. This lasts for a number of rounds equal to your Con modifier.
Alternatively, you can instead forgo your own defenses and improve those of your comrades. Rather than becoming immune to all attacks, you instead grant half your total armor and shield AC to all allies within 60ft as an untyped bonus to their own AC. They do not have to remain in that area afterwards to keep the bonus. You lose your armor and shield bonus to your AC until the ability ends, and if you are killed during that time, the effect ends. This lasts for a number of rounds equal to your Con modifier.

desmond1323
2010-03-10, 01:09 AM
Initial thoughts:

That's a lot to keep up with, but eh, such is the way of this class I suppose.

I originally had some different abilities based on certain shield feats...then realized that was redundant if those feats existed, so changed some things around.

Biggest example: Shield parrying, which allows you to add your shield AC to your touch AC. I want this, but there seems to be little point if you can just take the feat....or is it really that good to open up a feat slot and make it a class feature?

I'm leaning towards the d12 HD, but that may make this guy just too grand a tank. Maybe not. Thoughts?

Those two blank levels at the end, particularly the 20, really bug me...but I can't think of anything else to give there right at the moment, so I must await inspiration.

Also considering allow the Defend Other to eventually let you spread your shield AC to all allies adjacent to you, but that may be too much. Support? Argument? Alterations?

Other notes:
Several dead levels, I know. I desire to fill them, and will work on that...or will take suggestions.

Lix Lorn
2010-03-10, 05:58 AM
Bearing in mind i have very little experience;
I've never seen 'No multiclass' on a class. Ever. O_o Maybe have it as 'If they multiclass, they cannot ever raise their class level in Shieldmaster again?'

How about spell like effects such as Shield? Maybe even the ability to make your shield a good/evil, chaotic/lawful, or adamantine weapon? Adding energy damage on a will check?
As they can't use standard weaponry, they're unlikely to -ever- get a magic weapon they can use, unless they forge it themself.

Just thoughts. I can't give more specific advice, due to my knowledge coming from the d20 site and this forum.

Still, is an interesting idea!

desmond1323
2010-03-10, 10:41 AM
Bearing in mind i have very little experience;
I've never seen 'No multiclass' on a class. Ever. O_o Maybe have it as 'If they multiclass, they cannot ever raise their class level in Shieldmaster again?'

I know it's weird and yes, completely unheard of, and I dislike it...but with how this class works, honestly, it's either going to get complicated as hell when other classes come into play, or going to allow for ridiculous things to take place. Part of it is, I don't really expect this to be particularly awesome enough to use...I may use it once or twice, just for fun, but I mean...it's mostly just an experiment.

Edit: I must've been really tired when I made this, or I don't even know...rereading it, I don't really see any problems when it comes to multiclassing. Removed the limit. Not sure why, but it seemed a good idea at the time. Oh well, fixed.

Granted, maybe it's just because I'm lazy and don't want to think of the ramifications of multiclassing with it, but still...something tells me that would just lead to bad times.

How about spell like effects such as Shield?

I've thought about it, and might reconsider allowing them to duplicate certain defensive spells. Gimme a day or two to work on it!

Maybe even the ability to make your shield a good/evil, chaotic/lawful, or adamantine weapon? Adding energy damage on a will check?
As they can't use standard weaponry, they're unlikely to -ever- get a magic weapon they can use, unless they forge it themself.

Why, not at all. They treat their shields just like weapons, and thus can get them forged and enchanted just like weapons. I don't find it difficult at all to suggest that if Fighter A can go to the weaponshop and get himself a flamingburst adamantine longsword +1, then the Shieldmaster can go in and get the exact same thing, only on a heavy adamantine shield.

Edit: Wait, I bet you meant as in finding one in the "wild" whilst adventuring. Yes...that is a problem. But I can't really justify adding those sorts of effects. I'd just have to say if you use it: DMs, be nice and consider your SMs needs when granting treasure.

Still, is an interesting idea!

Hey, the fact that someone else besides me thought it interesting is a win in my book, thanks!

Is there room in there for an "improvised shield" feat, for when the Shieldmaster is caught without actual shields?

Heaven forbid such a thing happen...but it is a problem that should be addressed. I'll think upon some details....at the moment I'd say it'd work just like an improvised weapon, seeing as the SM treats his shield as his weapon.

If it isn't covered under Shield Bash feats, could there be a feat that allows the Shieldmaster to charge and use the shield(s) as a battering ram?

Do you mean for general use like against a door? There is a Shield Charge feat that allows you to attempt a trip if you successfully charge and hit with a shield (along with damage).

Can a shield's edge be sharpened for use as a slashing weapon?

Another good point...that would allow them to have access to all three weapon damage types, which is actually probably a very good idea. I'll look into adding a class ability which would let this occur, but it'd be after a few levels...fighting with the edge of a shield is significantly different then simply bashing with it.

Lappy9000
2010-03-10, 11:08 AM
You should make a table; it's really easy to do:First start the table with {table].

If you want to make things fancy, use {table=head] to give the 'head table' a different color.

Use "|" to separate different columns of the table. Don't forget a space between each row

Use [/table] to finish.

Mah Table
{table=head]Things 1|Things 2|Things 3

Row 1|Row 2|Row 3|

Row 4[/table]

Turns into:
Mah Table
{table=head]Things 1|Things 2|Things 3

Row 1|Row 2|Row 3|

Row 4[/table]

You can use Bold and Centering to make things look really nice :smallcool:
Mah Table
{table=head]
Things 1|
Things 2|
Things 3

Row 1|Row 2|Row 3|

Row 4[/table]
There's a nice guide here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313) that you can use to simply Quote the table from.

Ralasha
2010-03-10, 01:08 PM
Have a look at the Shield Maiden PrC, it's third party, but a good step towards a master of the shield, and may give you some more ideas.
Indeed.
Explanation:

at the end will center whatever it is you are putting into the table. To end it just pu a / before the c.
{table=head]
Level

[center]1 [/table]

In Example, a Shield Maiden gets certain defensive capabilities, which act similar to uncanny dodge, and evasion, improved uncanny dodge, and improved evasion, but only when using a shield.

desmond1323
2010-03-10, 02:20 PM
Have a look at the Shield Maiden PrC, it's third party, but a good step towards a master of the shield, and may give you some more ideas.

In Example, a Shield Maiden gets certain defensive capabilities, which act similar to uncanny dodge, and evasion, improved uncanny dodge, and improved evasion, but only when using a shield.

I'll definitely look for that.

I know I added the Rapid Defense ability based on the idea of Evasion....granting them full on Evasion didn't quite match my idea for the class, but I definitely wanted them to have some help somewhere.

As for the Uncanny Dodge...I'll have to look into doing something similiar.

Edit: Though that was a crap ton of annoying tedium...the table looks a lot nicer, yes. So, there's a table now. Woot.

Edit 2: Added the Seamless Defense ability, in relation to the idea of Uncanny Dodge.

Melayl
2010-03-10, 03:31 PM
Interesting class, kinda looks fun to play. As a nitpick, though, it should be seamless defense, not seemless. :smallsmile:

desmond1323
2010-03-10, 03:35 PM
Interesting class, kinda looks fun to play. As a nitpick, though, it should be seamless defense, not seemless. :smallsmile:

*facepalm* Thanks for that, heh. Being stuck in psychology and away from my English days has led to many mistakes like this.

Melayl
2010-03-10, 03:39 PM
Heh. Happens to all of us.:smallwink:

Just a few thoughts, perhaps you could add something about attacking with both shields in one action (like cymbals to the head...), or Stunning with a shield bash.

desmond1323
2010-03-10, 03:48 PM
Just a few thoughts, perhaps you could add something about attacking with both shields in one action (like cymbals to the head...)

*nods* Good idea. I'll post something once I figure out exactly what that something is.

...or Stunning with a shield bash.

There's a feat, Shield Slam, that sort of does this. It causes daze, instead. I'm a bit iffy when it comes to adding in effects that feats replicate or effectively replicate (see my comment about parrying shield earlier)...but I'll mull it over.

desmond1323
2010-03-10, 10:14 PM
Removed the bonus feats of Great Fortitude and Iron Will and changed it to a new class feature, Bastion Body.

Ralasha
2010-03-10, 10:18 PM
If you don't want to add class abilities that replicate feats, just give the feats. Like a ranger gains Two Weapon Fighting, or Ranged feats.

desmond1323
2010-03-10, 10:29 PM
If you don't want to add class abilities that replicate feats, just give the feats. Like a ranger gains Two Weapon Fighting, or Ranged feats.

The thing is, I wanted to add it in steps....allowing you to keep light shield AC to touch at one level, then eventually allowing you to keep heavy shield to AC. Hrm....Meh, I'll just do it. Thanks!

Edit: Added the Parrying Shield feat as a bonus feat.

Zexion
2010-03-10, 11:37 PM
Maybe have a "specialized shield" ability that decreases Armor penalties for one type of shield to fill the dead levels.

Ralasha
2010-03-10, 11:59 PM
You could also give them the ability to gain AC from both shields.

desmond1323
2010-03-11, 12:04 AM
You could also give them the ability to gain AC from both shields.

In what regards? I was pretty sure I already had it that they gain their AC from both shields in all aspects.

Admiral Squish
2010-03-11, 12:10 AM
*clears throat*
The Aegis (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117919)

[/shamelessplug]

Temotei
2010-03-11, 12:10 AM
Invulnerable Shell of the Iron Tortoise: Counter- Negates any and all damage, spells, or harmful effects that would effect the initiator and his adjacent allies for one round.

There's an idea for a capstone, usable a certain amount of times per encounter or per day.

Once or twice per encounter would work.

Three times per day would work as well. With this, you could go with 1/day at first level, then at every 5th level (5th, 10th, 15th, 20th), add another use for a maximum of 5/day.

In fact, I'd take ideas from that whole discipline for class features.

Apropos
2010-03-11, 12:12 AM
Multiple bonuses of the same type don't stack.

Temotei
2010-03-11, 12:14 AM
Multiple bonuses of the same type don't stack.

Generally. For a list of stacking and non-stacking bonuses, go to the SRD.

Shield bonuses (the relevant type of bonus here) do not stack with each other. An ability to bypass that restriction wouldn't be a bad idea.

desmond1323
2010-03-11, 12:22 AM
Generally. For a list of stacking and non-stacking bonuses, go to the SRD.

Shield bonuses (the relevant type of bonus here) do not stack with each other. An ability to bypass that restriction wouldn't be a bad idea.

Forgive me for making it an automatic assumption. Let's make that a little more clear with explicit statements!

*clears throat*
The Aegis (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117919)

[/shamelessplug]

Interesting, certainly....I mean, I certainly knew something similiar (or exactly the same thing, in some regards) had probably been done before, but *shrug*.

There's an idea for a capstone, usable a certain amount of times per encounter or per day.

Once or twice per encounter would work.

Three times per day would work as well. With this, you could go with 1/day at first level, then at every 5th level (5th, 10th, 15th, 20th), add another use for a maximum of 5/day.

In fact, I'd take ideas from that whole discipline for class features.

I was thinking of something along the same lines, actually. Dislike that it'd be percieved as being based on a ToB class...I don't use the book nor like it. Oh well, can't be helped. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Edit: Added the Crushing Shield ability.

desmond1323
2010-03-11, 10:19 AM
Improvised Shield feat, for when the Shieldmaster is caught without actual shields.

Exactly the same as improvised weapon, but for shields. Useful for when the party is captured and stripped of all their gear, or when they are attacked at high court, or like circumstances.

I'll make it more specific, but otherwise, I see no reason to specifically add a feat for such things.

A feat that allows the Shieldmaster to charge and use the shield(s) as a battering ram.

I mean exactly for use against a door, or a light wall, or anything else that can be broken or knocked over. Maybe even to break through a line of soldiers, or an opposing shield wall. (OOH!) Call it Shield Ram. It would obviously favor stronger characters. It should include a movement requirement (have to get a running start) and possibly a damage penalty (for failure, to discourage Shieldmasters from trying to smash mountains).

Hmm...would definitely add a bit more of needed versatility...I like it! I'll think up the specifics and post them later.

Lix Lorn suggested defensive spell effects. I concur, but at high levels.

I agree, and easily enough, that's where the last remaining blank levels are. Now just to decide what sort of magic-esque effects can be reproduced. Will post after some thought and perusing.

How about a Shield Wall feat, that allows the Shieldmaster to coordinate with a shield-using character on either side to create an impenetrable barrier? It seems very much in keeping with the theme, and it allows players to coordinate.

One Shieldmaster and two fighters/clerics could create a Shield Wall three squares across, but a longer Shield Wall would require every other square/character to be a Shieldmaster. That adds to Shieldmasters' effectiveness in large battles without letting one Shieldmaster protect an entire column of troops.

The effect might be as simple as making every shield used in the Shield Wall as effective as a tower shield, or you might grant defensive bonuses to the participants and everyone behind them. I would definitely include a bonus for a Shield Wall composed entirely of Shieldmasters.

While I do like the idea...especially the mental pictures of awesome it conjures...it doesn't match what I'm picturing for the class. Even the feel of the ability says more PrC to me, than this base class....hell, maybe I'll give my try at an "Aegis" style PrC that this class could naturally go into--specialized for more large scale encounters and/or wider battlefield control.

All in all, thanks for all the suggestions! Based upon the overlap of some of them...and matching up with some of my own thoughts...I think I finally have enough to punch out a few more abilities to top off the class. Will be back once I determine the specifics of such things.

Edit: Specified the improvised weapon details. Decided on the d12 HD (let's give that d12 some more love!). Added the Shield Adaptation class ability, in order to allow the SM to cause slashing damage if he so desires.

Ralasha
2010-03-11, 11:34 AM
You could always have them pick a Shield Mastery style, similar to a rangers Combat Style, have hem pick Defensive, or Offensive. Gaining certain specific abilities either way.

desmond1323
2010-03-11, 11:46 AM
You could always have them pick a Shield Mastery style, similar to a rangers Combat Style, have hem pick Defensive, or Offensive. Gaining certain specific abilities either way.

What are you, psychic? Or is it really that obvious?
I was considering this originally....actually, still am. The fact that you suggested it means I'm probably going to take an even longer look at it.

Edit: Added the Shield Ram ability...though haven't sat down to think about things like damage and whatnot. Suggestions to save my poor tired brain would be appreciated....otherwise, I'ma pass out now and take me a nap.

Ralasha
2010-03-11, 05:51 PM
Oh, another good idea, would be to have them be able to use their shields as ranged weapons (Ex), and after a certain level, have the shield return as a returning weapon would(Ex).

desmond1323
2010-03-11, 09:30 PM
Added Indomitable Soul as a bonus feat.

Added the damage/effects of the Shield Ram ability. Please check that stuff.

Added the Epitome of Defense capstone ability.

I'm considering adding an alternative in that: Alternatively, you may expend a use of EoD to instead grant an untyped bonus to AC = to half your total AC to all allies within 60ft. This also lasts a number of rounds equal to your Con mod. However, you make yourself vulnerable during this time, and lose all Armor and Shield bonuses to your AC. If you are killed during this time, the effect ends.

Sound good? I mean, the class mostly works to defend his own self--but does have the ability to help others occasionally...so, I can justify it based upon what I'm envisioning for the class.

desmond1323
2010-03-12, 10:04 AM
Edited how Shield Ram works....a measely +5 to Str checks? Hardly worth it. A bit better now.

Zom B
2010-03-12, 10:35 AM
A nice capstone

How about Dual-Shield (Tower/Tower)?

Lix Lorn
2010-03-12, 12:26 PM
That's a point. What about Tower Shields?

Lix Lorn
2010-03-13, 12:43 PM
Well, how about you can only dual wield shields of your size or smaller?
(Tower=Large, Heavy=Medium, Light=Small?)

Also, give them the ability to Shield Bash with Tower Shields?

Finally, lookie what i just found.

An enhancement bonus on a shield does not improve the effectiveness of a shield bash made with it, but the shield can be made into a magic weapon in its own right.

desmond1323
2010-03-14, 10:17 PM
Well, how about you can only dual wield shields of your size or smaller?
(Tower=Large, Heavy=Medium, Light=Small?)

Also, give them the ability to Shield Bash with Tower Shields?

Finally, lookie what i just found.

Naw, think I'ma keep Tower Shields out of this. But, *shrug*, past the dual-wielding, it'd be something new to add...so maybe, but I'd make it (Tower/Heavy), max, though.

As for the second bit....heh, yeah, I recently caught that myself. Whoops. Oh well, I'll leave the specifications just in case, for people who don't notice that otherwise.

As for teh capstone, I've altered it a bit. Updating now.
Also figured out the level 19 ability. With this, I hope to conisder this class done and awaiting field testing. Provided I get a relatively positive "yes, I think it's ready to be tested as well" vibe from you, giant.

Editing the Epitome of Defense capstone, and adding the Iron Muscles ability and Instruction in Defense ability.

Will add skills later when I've got my books next to me. Gonna be 2 + Int, though.