PDA

View Full Version : First time DM

pluizig
2010-03-10, 10:20 AM
OK, so my old RP group is finally getting together again to start a new campaign. I'm not the most experienced player, but all of the other people in the group are either too busy to DM or want to play a PC after DMing for a very long time. Long story short: I'm picking up DM duties for the first time.

Problem is, I also don't have all the time in the world to prepare. Instead of just coming up with a campaign or quest myself, I think it's easier to base somting off an existing adventure module or something.

Any pointers on where to look? Preferably online and free.

What I'm looking for in terms of content:
- D&D 3.5 (FR would be nice)
- Low-level (about 4-6 to start with)
- More roleplay-heavy than combat

Stubbed Tongue
2010-03-10, 01:25 PM
OK, so my old RP group is finally getting together again to start a new campaign. I'm not the most experienced player, but all of the other people in the group are either too busy to DM or want to play a PC after DMing for a very long time. Long story short: I'm picking up DM duties for the first time.

Problem is, I also don't have all the time in the world to prepare. Instead of just coming up with a campaign or quest myself, I think it's easier to base somting off an existing adventure module or something.

Any pointers on where to look? Preferably online and free.

What I'm looking for in terms of content:
- D&D 3.5 (FR would be nice)
- Low-level (about 4-6 to start with)
- More roleplay-heavy than combat

You could look at the wizards of the coast website 'archives' section to find old modules. I think.

Let me know if you decide to make your own campaign I have an easy way to create a world.

Glimbur
2010-03-10, 01:28 PM
Here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20030530b&page=1).

If you're looking for more role-play heavy, consider doing what I do for a Wuthering (http://www.unseelie.org/rpg/wh/index.html) Heights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW3gKKiTvjs) game and just make 3-5 families with 1-2 parents and 1-4 children, each with their own motives and relationships. Don't make a plot, just make characters and have them act. This requires more thinking on your feet.

desmond1323
2010-03-10, 03:21 PM
I back up those premade adventures from Wizards....when I started DMing, that's exactly how I did it. They're fun, easy to tinker with, and just a good way to start in general.

While it's not free, it's ridiculously cheap, and stupendously fun to play:
Get Red Hand of Doom. You'll also get a lot of adventure for just a few dollars, last I saw it on Amazon. This module, done right, takes somewhere around 6 months to a year (assuming a rough schedule of once a week meetings, with room for interruption) to complete.

There are also several good campaign journals to help you out even more when running it. Saph's is grand, though harsh (if I recall, it was a total of 30 PC deaths over the whole thing). And several others as well.

Cowboy_ninja
2010-03-10, 05:44 PM
I usually just Google 3.5 dungeons. You can usually find a free pdf of a pre-made wizards of the coast adventure.