PDA

View Full Version : Elemental Possession

Benejeseret
2010-03-10, 11:05 AM
Can Elementals possess creatures?

Is there any reason they could not crunch- or fluff-wise?

Yesterday I randomly got a mental image of a red dragon possessed by a primal fire elemental. It does not so much breath fire as it opens its mouth and lets the rage within burst forth. If setup properly the players are suspecting only a dragon (scary already) only to find the real threat is the fire itself.

Longcat
2010-03-10, 11:20 AM
Give them "Magic Jar", and they can.

Ryumaru
2010-03-10, 11:23 AM
You're the DM; if it sounds awesome, do it. As long as your players are enjoying themselves, and you're enjoying shooting primal Elementals out of a dragons mouth ;D

Irreverent Fool
2010-03-10, 11:34 AM
You could easily use the rules for possession found on page 21 of the Fiendish Codex I or page 23 of the Book of Vile Darkness. In fact, you might even find a fiend appropriate to your cause though I don't see any problem with granting the ability to an elemental, especially as stated above: You're the DM. If it sounds cool and interesting, do it.

obnoxious
sig

Grumman
2010-03-10, 11:38 AM
Is there any reason they could not crunch- or fluff-wise?
Fluffwise, I'm unfamiliar with any elemental that can possess creatures.

I'd suggest that rather than having the elemental possess the dragon, have the elemental bound to the dragon. Crunchwise it's basically the same thing, but fits closer with how elementals are bound to constructs to power and control them.

arguskos
2010-03-10, 12:06 PM
You could easily use the rules for possession found on page 21 of the Fiendish Codex I or page 23 of the Book of Vile Darkness. In fact, you might even find a fiend appropriate to your cause though I don't see any problem with granting the ability to an elemental, especially as stated above: You're the DM. If it sounds cool and interesting, do it.

obnoxious
sig
Instead of looking for an appropriate fiend, make your own! Use the Demonically Fused Elemental template from Dragon Compendium to make a Demonically Fused Primal Fire Elemental or something. Now, it doesn't actually become an outsider, but that's easy to fix (just, uh, change the type to Outsider) and ta-da! Demon Elemental.

Benejeseret
2010-03-10, 12:14 PM
Good thoughts

My other plan was to see if I could do anything with the Necromental template and see if I could end up with a Ghost Elemental, but demonic style possessions will likely be easier to pull off.

I had not considered a bound elemental....hmmm....a Red Dragon Effigy powered by a Fire Elemental, now that does have some potential for my other eberron game.

What I am looking for is more of a BBEG elemental with the ability to possess, and thus body-switch as the PC's have to track through the disguised and surprises. Magic jar might be the best bet.

(for feel, it is along the lines of a Dragon Age type Rage Demon possession/abomination)