PDA

View Full Version : tiny and smaller races?

gallagher
2010-03-10, 11:18 AM
hello playground
i was wondering about races smaller than small. the idea is that i am playing a large sized character, and we are fashioning an exotic saddle for my shoulder for a tiny or smaller character to perch upon and do sneak attack damage after i knock people over. 0 LA is preferred, of course

his theme is also nonlethal damage, as he is going to be our interrigator. isnt there a feat that lets you deal nonlethal damage on sneak attacks, and have them be d8's? i think it is in BoED, but i dont have that one in front of me presently

Ryumaru
2010-03-10, 11:21 AM
As far as I know, being tripped/prone is not something which grants sneak attack - and if the creature below Small (which is 5ft reach, I think?) requires the attacker to be in the square as the enemy, as they have 0 Reach.

And if you're knocking them over, and Large (which I assume to be about 7-8ft, if anyone knows? Not too up to date with my rules), how is the guy on your shoulder reaching downwards -and- 5ft infront of him to hit them at all?

Not to mention, nerfing your lovely advantage of range...

Edit: Also, if BoED is not allowed, I don't know the feat, but it sounds familiar... if you want non-lethal, pick up a sap. Allows non-lethal sneak attacks.

gallagher
2010-03-10, 11:30 AM
As far as I know, being tripped/prone is not something which grants sneak attack - and if the creature below Small (which is 5ft reach, I think?) requires the attacker to be in the square as the enemy, as they have 0 Reach.

And if you're knocking them over, and Large (which I assume to be about 7-8ft, if anyone knows? Not too up to date with my rules), how is the guy on your shoulder reaching downwards -and- 5ft infront of him to hit them at all?

Not to mention, nerfing your lovely advantage of range...

Edit: Also, if BoED is not allowed, I don't know the feat, but it sounds familiar... if you want non-lethal, pick up a sap. Allows non-lethal sneak attacks.he can use a spike chain, which would give him the 5 foot reach.

and standing up from prone does incur AoOs

Critical
2010-03-10, 11:35 AM
Pixie is solid here, although doesn't really need a saddle. However, pretty much anything small with sneak attack should do, as long as it gets the flank.

Ryumaru
2010-03-10, 11:37 AM
he can use a spike chain, which would give him the 5 foot reach.

and standing up from prone does incur AoOs

From what I've been told on the boards, Reach doubles your Natural Reach - 0ft x 2 = 0ft.

And AoOs don't get sneak attack damage unless they're triggering sneak attack is also in effect, like being Invisible or whatever. Unless we're talking about the feat somewhere (I think it was) which gave you sneak attack on AoOs.

2xMachina
2010-03-10, 12:37 PM
Not too sure, but I heard mention of a feat? stance? that lets you flank easier. Adaptive Flanker I think?

Flank with mount. No dex, thus SA.

Also, I think reach adds a minimum of 5 feet.

Darrin
2010-03-10, 03:35 PM
hello playground
i was wondering about races smaller than small. the idea is that i am playing a large sized character, and we are fashioning an exotic saddle for my shoulder for a tiny or smaller character to perch upon and do sneak attack damage after i knock people over. 0 LA is preferred, of course

LA 0:

Jermlaine, tiny, MM2. -8 Str -8, +6 Dex, -2 Con, -2 Int, +6 Wis, -6 Cha. Can work as a Druid, but not recommended for anything else.

Muckdweller, tiny, Serpent Kingdoms. -6 Str, +6 Dex, -2 Wis, -2 Cha. Most playable of the tiny races. Works very well as Warlocks, Dragonfire Adepts, and sneaky-Rogueish-types.

Tibbit, small/tiny, Dragon Compendium. -2 Str, +2 Dex. Monstrous Humanoid that can shapechange into a housecat at will. Also makes very good Warlocks, Dragonfire Adepts, sneaky-Rogueish-types... and Totemist might be interesting as well, for those moments when you absolutely, positively must tear apart something with just a housecat.

Hengeyokai, medium/various, Oriental Adventures. -2 Wis, +2 on something else in hybrid form. Errata eliminated the LA +1 and made them Humanoid with the Shapechanger substype. There are a variety of animal shapes to choose from, many of them tiny (badger, cat, hare, monkey, rat, or weasel), two diminuative (carp or crab), and one fine-sized (sparrow). The sparrow is particularly interesting... hybrid form has a 20' fly speed at ECL 1, sparrow form has 50' fly speed and an AC/ranged attack bonus of +14 (+8 size, +6 Dex). Sparrows make *amazing* Warlocks.

his theme is also nonlethal damage, as he is going to be our interrigator. isnt there a feat that lets you deal nonlethal damage on sneak attacks, and have them be d8's? i think it is in BoED, but i dont have that one in front of me presently

Subduing Strike does nonlethal. Sacred Strike does d8's vs. evil creatures.

Starscream
2010-03-10, 03:54 PM
There's Petal, but I think they come with a +2 LA.

KillianHawkeye
2010-03-10, 05:03 PM
There's Petal, but I think they come with a +2 LA.

And they're cohort only.