PDA

View Full Version : Corey Haim has died

Jayngfet
2010-03-10, 11:42 AM
Corey Haim dead at 38: reports (http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment/movies/2010/03/10/13179711.html)

Corey Haim, a 1980s teen heartthrob for his roles in “Lucas” and “The Lost Boys” whose career was blighted by drug abuse, has died. He was 38.

The Toronto-born actor died at 2:15 a.m. Wednesday at a Burbank hospital, Los Angeles County coroner’s Lt. Cheryl MacWillie said.

An autopsy will determine the cause of death and there were no other details, she said. Sgt. Michael Kammert said there’s no evidence of foul play.

Haim had flu-like symptoms before he died and was getting over-the-counter and prescription medications, Sgt. William Mann said. The cause of death is unknown, Mann said.

“He could have succumbed to whatever (illness) he had or it could have been drugs. Who knows?” Mann said. “He has had a drug problem in the past.”

Starscream
2010-03-10, 12:47 PM
:smallfrown:
Tonight I shall watch Lost Boys with a heavy heart.

Dr.Epic
2010-03-10, 12:50 PM
As a normal human mortal he died so young, but as a teen heartthrob he lived a thousand years. You shall be missed. I'll tell his fangirls he loved them.

Optimystik
2010-03-10, 12:55 PM
That's so weird - I was just watching the family guy episode with him last night.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2010-03-10, 12:58 PM
{scrubbed}

Rutskarn
2010-03-10, 01:03 PM
{scrubbed}

That's a fairly insensitive thing to say. We're all tempting death somehow, and even if he was jumping straight into a spiked pit, it wouldn't be any easier on his loved ones to know that his death was self-inflicted.

truemane
2010-03-10, 01:16 PM
Now there is but one Corey remaining.

Felddog, it's all you now buddy.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2010-03-10, 02:56 PM
That's a fairly insensitive thing to say. We're all tempting death somehow, and even if he was jumping straight into a spiked pit, it wouldn't be any easier on his loved ones to know that his death was self-inflicted.

Which is why I won't be bugging his family about it.

factotum
2010-03-10, 04:21 PM
That's a fairly insensitive thing to say.

And one that has no evidence to back it up, either. Corey Haim was known to have had drug problems IN THE PAST. There isn't any evidence (yet) that he had returned to his old ways.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2010-03-10, 05:10 PM
And one that has no evidence to back it up, either. Corey Haim was known to have had drug problems IN THE PAST. There isn't any evidence (yet) that he had returned to his old ways.

Nope, you're right, there isn't. Lack of proof is not proof of lack however, and if Dave Mustaine can't stay off da drugs why should I believe Haim was able to?

DraPrime
2010-03-10, 07:12 PM
Nope, you're right, there isn't. Lack of proof is not proof of lack however, and if Dave Mustaine can't stay off da drugs why should I believe Haim was able to?

Because Haim is not Dave Mustaine? This is a ridiculous comparison, and a weak arguing point. And it is still a cruel thing to say that it is not much of a loss. It was a human life. Respect that.

Ravens_cry
2010-03-10, 07:16 PM
Because Haim is not Dave Mustaine? This is a ridiculous comparison, and a weak arguing point. And it is still a cruel thing to say that it is not much of a loss. It was a human life. Respect that.
*raises fist* Respect.

Jayngfet
2010-03-10, 07:23 PM

What he said. Maybe Haim DID die of drug use, maybe he was clean. Either way neither of us can know that and you're a terrible person for posting about how little it matters, instead of say, not bothering to post or at least not post repeatedly using weak argument points. If he matters so little show, don't tell.

hanzo66
2010-03-10, 08:08 PM
Sorry for sounding ignorant, but...

I think I've heard of multiple Boy Idols named Corey in the eighties. How many were there? Since I grew up in the 90's there are certain things I'm not so familiar with...

Rutskarn
2010-03-10, 08:10 PM
About a half-dozen, honestly.

Feldman was the one in Goonies, Lost Boys, and Stand By Me. Haim was also in Lost Boys, though. They were actually kind of side-by-side, if I recall correctly.

EDIT: Nope, he was the protagonist. Aw.

Soterion
2010-03-10, 10:40 PM
I'm sad to say that I'm not particularly shocked by this.

Lawless III
2010-03-10, 10:52 PM
Good night, sweet idol. May the next life be kinder to you than this one. You will be missed by friends, family, and fans everywhere. Every time I watch the Lost Boys, your death will weigh heavily upon my mind and soul. Good night, sweet idol.

JonestheSpy
2010-03-10, 11:30 PM
Our culture is not particularly kind to child stars. An essay I read on salon.com puts it well:

The public can't take responsibility for the bad decisions of grown adults. But the machine that turns little kids into demigods then recycles them as freaks decades later undeniably messes with the lives of vulnerable individuals for the world's idle consumption.

Roland St. Jude
2010-03-10, 11:38 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Please keep it civil in here and avoid trollish comments. Someone lamenting, or even just noting, the death of another shouldn't have to be faced with snide comments about that person.

toasty
2010-03-10, 11:57 PM
Is it wrong I have no clue who this guy was? :smallbiggrin:

I was born in '91, if it helps any.

Tirian
2010-03-11, 01:20 AM

Not really. He was a teen heartthrob for a year or two, but not a remarkable actor, and I don't think he was in more than one good movie.

Lawless III
2010-03-11, 01:29 AM

It's nothing to be ashamed of. I was also born in '91, but I was shown The Lost Boys at an impressionable age. He was in a few other decent films, but nothing as good as the aforementioned. He and Cory Feldman were both in this movie and enjoyed teen idol status for a few years before drug problems and typecasting claimed their careers. They made a short-lived "comeback" about a year or two ago with an ill-fated reality t.v. show.

Go check out Lost Boys though. It's a great movie in a cheesy, tongue-in-cheek way.

Dr.Epic
2010-03-12, 12:58 AM

I was born in 90 and I only know him from a Robot Chicken sketch.