PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Iron Bands of Bilarro

Dyllan
2010-03-10, 04:01 PM
That's Iron Bands of Binding for those of you using the SRD. From their text:

A single Large or smaller creature can be captured thus and held immobile until the command word is spoken...

First off, what does "immobile" mean here? Obviously not able to move from the square they're in. But can they still act normally without moving, or are their arms restricted from movement as well?

More specifically, my BBEG is going to be a Doppleganger Cleric. She doesn't have the strength to reliably make the DC 30 strength check to break them, and doesn't have escape artist as a class skill to escape that way. So, what other ways can she escape from the thing?

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-10, 04:14 PM
Prior to Tome of Magic, it meant helpless. After Tome of Magic, it means they can't take Move actions to use one of the various movement speeds (but could still Teleport/be Bull Rushed).

Lord Vukodlak
2010-03-10, 04:19 PM
A few ways out are a still spelled air walk assuming you already had your holy symbol in hand when you were bound. If you have the travel domain dimension door would work as it has only verbal components.
Wearing gauntlets of rusting grasp could also do the trick

But most importantly, Freedom of Movement spell cast before the encounter begins.

The way I read the iron bands Immobile means basically helpless like being tied up and I see nothing of the bands in Tome of Magic.