PDA

View Full Version : [3.5/PF]How would you build an earth themed caster?

Hurlbut
2010-03-10, 06:48 PM
Use Pathfinder ruleset, 3.5 splatbooks are allowed. How would you put together a caster that consistently use earth themed spells? :smallbiggrin:

Eldariel
2010-03-10, 06:57 PM
Use Pathfinder ruleset, 3.5 splatbooks are allowed. How would you put together a caster that consistently use earth themed spells? :smallbiggrin:

Druid, Sorcerer or Wu Jen, IMHO. Rest is just spell selection and maybe entering Earth Dreamer and such.

Jack_Simth
2010-03-10, 07:01 PM
Probably a Dwarf Druid, using a lot of Summoning spells, taking Terran as a language known, picking up Summon Elemental, Clutch of Earth, and similar reserve feats. Also maybe stuff to boost Summoning (Elemental Spellcasting (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Elemental_Spellcasting,all), Rashemi Elemental Summoning (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Rashemi_Elemental_Summoning,all), Augment Summoning, and so on ... maybe Speaking Wild Shape as well). Plus, of course, Natural Spell.

So, once you reach the point where you have Elemental Wild Shape, you turn into an Earth Elemental, summon some Earth Elementals, and tell them to do stuff.

Ryumaru
2010-03-10, 07:05 PM
And I know it might be a bit strange talking about stats other than your casting one for casters, but. =P I'd probably put some of your points into Constitution and Wisdom, to represent the whole 'tenacity of the rock' which might have rubbed off on you from your spells/ideology.

Hurlbut
2010-03-10, 07:30 PM
Oh shoot I forgot, if you had to use arcane magic, what school would be the primary focus (and prohibited schools) if not universal?

Pluto
2010-03-10, 07:36 PM
Oh shoot I forgot, if you had to use arcane magic, what school would be the primary focus (and prohibited schools) if not universal?
The most interesting Evocations are things like Wind Wall. Those don't seem to really fit, so I'd drop that.
(Also evokation sux RAWR)

Earth Dreamer from Races of Stone is a very fitting class and it feels like a good fit with Diviner. So I'd probably go with that.

Or Transmuter, for all its Flesh to Stone/Rock to Mud/Elemental Body-sorts of spells.

If I did that, I'd probably also drop Enchantment. ...or Conjuration, but nobody heard that. >.>

deuxhero
2010-03-10, 08:11 PM
Ask the DM if you can take the goliath druid sub levels that give better earth elementals, but prevent use of the other 3.

subject42
2010-03-10, 08:18 PM

I would look at the pathfinder sorcerer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/basic-classes/sorcerer). There is an elemental bloodline that has an earth specialization. It's mostly acid, but it does give you the elemental body spells as bonus spells known.

Guilliaume
2010-03-10, 08:23 PM
In Pathfinder, you can be an Earth elemental Sorcerer. It's means that you derive your arcane power from some earth outsider in your bloodline, (Squick) or were exposed to some powerful elemental force. It let's you make all your spells deal acid damage, eventually gives you 30 ft Burrow speed, and a burst that makes people who fail vs the save vulnerable to that damage type, and eventually immunity to crits. I think elemental is one of the under rated sorcerer bloodlines.

edit: curses, ninja'd

jiriku
2010-03-10, 10:08 PM
Sandstorm has a number of thematically appropriate spells with the Earth descriptor.

Tahoo
2010-03-11, 01:40 AM
Or you could play any caster you want and just flavor the spells to be earthy. D&D is a game of imagination!

Roderick_BR
2010-03-11, 08:13 AM
And I know it might be a bit strange talking about stats other than your casting one for casters, but. =P I'd probably put some of your points into Constitution and Wisdom, to represent the whole 'tenacity of the rock' which might have rubbed off on you from your spells/ideology.
There's a substitution level for dwarves sorcerers in Races of Stone that let you cast sorcerer spells using Con instead of Cha.

Hurlbut
2010-03-11, 01:21 PM
I don't like to use acid spells a lot, so if I use the sorcerer bloodline I'll probably look at swapping out some of the acid spells for transmutation spells and attack spells that use any form of earth.

AtwasAwamps
2010-03-11, 01:25 PM
Or you could play any caster you want and just flavor the spells to be earthy. D&D is a game of imagination!

Essentially, take Spell Thematics: Rocks

Magic Missile = Throwing Rocks

High end magic missiles with all those feats and PrCs that eventually let you hurl huge amounts of rocks = Fantastic

Critical
2010-03-11, 01:30 PM
Dream Dwarf Wu Jen is cocher. :smallbiggrin:

Mongoose87
2010-03-11, 01:32 PM
There's a substitution level for dwarves sorcerers in Races of Stone that let you cast sorcerer spells using Con instead of Cha.

Actually, it just adds you Con to your Cha to determine bonus spells.

Dream Dwarf Wu Jen is cocher. :smallbiggrin:
You mean Kosher?

arguskos
2010-03-11, 01:32 PM

High end magic missiles with all those feats and PrCs that eventually let you hurl huge amounts of rocks = Fantastic
Beat me to it. Spell Thematics: Dirt/Rocks/Earth would all be hilariously perfect. :smallamused:

Also, possibly play a Shugenja? They have an Elemental Focus, and can choose Earth. I heartily recommend them for this exercise. They aren't arcane though, if that's an issue for you.

Hurlbut
2010-03-11, 01:34 PM

High end magic missiles with all those feats and PrCs that eventually let you hurl huge amounts of rocks = FantasticWhere do I find that feat?

Beat me to it. Spell Thematics: Dirt/Rocks/Earth would all be hilariously perfect. :smallamused:

Also, possibly play a Shugenja? They have an Elemental Focus, and can choose Earth. I heartily recommend them for this exercise. They aren't arcane though, if that's an issue for you.Actually that's helpful as I can look up the shugenja's spell list and see which spells fit with Earth theme beside acid and earth manipulation/transmutation spells.

arguskos
2010-03-11, 01:37 PM
Where do I find that feat?
Like six different sources. I think the most recent is Player's Guide to Faerun.

Optimystik
2010-03-11, 01:45 PM
Earth Shugenja is a shoe-in for Earth Dreamer. Be a Dream Dwarf (RoS) - they take a Dex penalty instead of a Cha penalty - it won't matter, you should be trying to wear fullplate anyway.

EDIT: Gold Dwarves get the same bonuses (-2 Dex, +2 Con) in the FR setting.