PDA

View Full Version : Halp!

the Riddler
2010-03-10, 07:22 PM
Sup, all

Tonight I rolled my stats for a newcoming character (ninth level, btw) ...aaand, what i got was:

15, 15, 8, 16, 14, 9

which is not so bad, after all, if it wasn't for those two -1s. :sigh:

So. I was thinking abount going Beguiler, here, but I'm now open to suggestions. Those stats really seem to kill any hope to optimize him. Perhaps a mere Enchanter could do? What would you choose, apart from the evergreen, balanced, and unsurpassable Monk, of course? :amused:

Any opinion would be welcome :wink:

Geiger Counter
2010-03-10, 07:25 PM
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872218/-_The_New_Beguiler_Handbook_-_2008?pg=1

Gametime
2010-03-10, 07:27 PM
A beguiler could still work. Strength is easily dumpable, and you can probably afford to live without either Wisdom (if you don't mind being less good at scouting) or Charisma (if you don't mind being a less good party face).

JeminiZero
2010-03-10, 08:09 PM
Sup, all
15, 15, 8, 16, 14, 9

What sources are allowed?

Beguiler could work since, as mentioned above, it really only requires 3 good stats. The bigger question is what do you want to play? Skill Monkey (Rogue)? Arcanist (Wizard)? Melee/Divine (Cleric or Druid)? Beguiler is sort of a Skill Monkey Arcanist hybrid in this case.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-03-10, 08:11 PM
Having too -1 stats does kinda suck, but it hardly makes optimization impossible. Even the MADness of monk only requires four abilities (specifically, str, con, dex, wis; roughly in that order.) With that comment out of the way, play what you wanna play, and have fun with it. I've heard that beguiler can be all kinds of amusing.

Amphetryon
2010-03-10, 08:27 PM
Sup, all

Tonight I rolled my stats for a newcoming character (ninth level, btw) ...aaand, what i got was:

15, 15, 8, 16, 14, 9
STR 8 DEX 15 CON 14 INT 16 WIS 9 CHA 15.

Looks like a perfectly serviceable Spellwarp Sniper (Complete Scoundrel) to me. Rogue 1/Wiz 5/Spellwarp Sniper 5/Arcane Trickster 9. Bump INT every time. Season to taste.

EDIT: 1 + 5 + 5 + 10 = 20...wait, what?

Crow
2010-03-10, 08:38 PM
15, 15, 8, 16, 14, 9

Are you kidding me? Holy cow players are so finicky. Those are great stats!

the Riddler
2010-03-10, 09:31 PM
Amphetryon, in the end I decided to go exactly for that choice of stats :) though I don't know about the Spellwarp Sniper, I'm going to get a look at it right now :)

Crow, I am fnicky :D No, well, let's just say I could have gone for a 10 instead of that nine, that's all :P

As for JeminiZero's question, I usually go for Skill Monkey all the way, being a huge rogue/bard fan. I don't mind having some spellcasting ability too and, since this new character will pretty much have to be evil, Beguiler seemed like a good twist towards some "evil bard-like class"

of course, I could just go for a multiclass fighter/rogue/sorcerer who spe- ...no, wait. :confused:

faceroll
2010-03-10, 09:54 PM
Are you kidding me? Holy cow players are so finicky. Those are great stats!

Seriously. If there's no 18, it's unplayable!!! Bah. You can get 9th level spells. Stop complaining.

Sup, all

15, 15, 8, 16, 14, 9

So. I was thinking abount going Beguiler, here, but I'm now open to suggestions. Those stats really seem to kill any hope to optimize him. Perhaps a mere Enchanter could do? What would you choose, apart from the evergreen, balanced, and unsurpassable Monk, of course? :amused:

Any opinion would be welcome :wink:

str 9
con 15
dex 15
int 16
wis 8
cha 14

Then go with middle aged & put your level 4 ability point in int for

str 8
con 14
dex 14
int 18
wis 9
cha 15

Perfectly serviceable.

Devils_Advocate
2010-03-11, 12:24 AM
Note that Str 9 gets you better carrying capacity than Str 8, while Wis 9 gets you jack all that Wis 8 doesn't give you. Strength is special like that. This is a very minor consideration, but I thought it bore mentioning.

Those stats really seem to kill any hope to optimize him.
Man, what? I realize that you effectively don't really have any better than a 16 14 14 14 8 8 array, but that's a perfectly good use of a 28 point buy for plenty of builds, so what's your problem? There's nothing unplayable about two dump stats but four good stats.

Also, "optimize" means doing the best one can with what's available. You can optimize anything. It seems like you're using the word as a synonym for "overpower". In which case you're still wrong. :smalltongue:

Now, you may personally dislike your character being numerically inferior to an average Commoner at anything, but that's a different issue entirely. Personally, I'd feel quite comfortable dumping both Str and Wis for a Beguiler, especially gnome Beguiler. :smalltongue: I'd certainly rather have that 9 and 14 than a 10 and a 13, anyway.

faceroll
2010-03-11, 01:57 AM
Note that Str 9 gets you better carrying capacity than Str 8, while Wis 9 gets you jack all that Wis 8 doesn't give you. Strength is special like that. This is a very minor consideration, but I thought it bore mentioning.

True.
I would hesitate dumping wisdom, because arcane disciple can add some great spells to your list.

the Riddler
2010-03-11, 07:00 AM
Man, what? I realize that you effectively don't really have any better than a 16 14 14 14 8 8 array, but that's a perfectly good use of a 28 point buy for plenty of builds, so what's your problem? There's nothing unplayable about two dump stats but four good stats.

Well, that was mainly because, being the Beguiler's spells of the save-or-die kind, I would have hoped to have at least int mexed out for better enchantments :P but that's not really a big issue, the DCs can still be raised through feats or prestige classes (like Shadow Adept, if I'm not wrong)..so yeah, it's not that bad after all :)