PDA

View Full Version : [PrC] Cavalier of Justice

mummy162
2010-03-10, 07:44 PM
PEACH. Any feedback would be helpful.

Cavalier of Justice

Many men take up arms for justice, secretly striving for their own personal gain. But this is not the case for a Cavalier of Justice. Charging into battle on horseback (or some other stranger mount) and wielding a lance, they fight for the law or some higher power. Often leading armies into battle in the name of all that is good and just, they are inspiring forces on the battlefield. They would gladly lay down their lives for a close companion; once you have proven yourself worthy to a Cavalier of Justice, they will be a loyal companion to the end.

Prerequisites:
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Skills: Ride 8 ranks, Handle Animal 8 ranks
Feats: Mounted Combat, Animal Affinity, Weapon Focus (Lance)
Alignment: Lawful Good

Cavalier of Justice

Level
BAB
Fort Save
Reflex Save
Will Save
Special

1st
+1
+2
+0
+2
Knight Abilities, Paladin Abilities, Ride By Attack

2nd
+2
+3
+0
+3
Weapon Specialization (Lance), Focused Charge +1

3rd
+3
+3
+1
+3
Master Defender

4th
+4
+4
+1
+4
Short Haft (Lance), Focused Charge +2

5th
+5
+4
+1
+4
Greater Weapon Focus (Lance)

6th
+6
+5
+2
+5
Focused Charge +3

7th
+7
+5
+2
+5
Spirited Charge

8th
+8
+6
+2
+6
Greater Weapon Specialization (Lance), Focused Charge +4

9th
+9
+6
+3
+6
Master Defender (Automatically Succeed)

10th
+10
+7
+3
+7
Paragon of Justice, Focused Charge +5

Hit Die: d10

Skills: Climb (Str), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) (Int), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Swim (Str)

Skill Points per Level: 2 + Int modifier

Knight Abilities, Paladin Abilities: A Cavalier of Justice with levels in either Knight or Paladin receives some of the benefits of one of these two classes. If he has levels in both Knight and Paladin, he chooses one of the two to gain benefit from, not both. If the Cavalier of Justice chooses Knight Abilities, his Cavalier of Justice level stacks with his Knight level to determine what Knight's Challenge abilities he has access to, how many uses of Knight's Challenge he has per day, and the save DC for his Knight's Challenge ability. If he chooses Paladin Abilities, his Cavalier of Justice level stacks with his Paladin level to determine his special mount's stats, his ability to lay on hands and the number of times he can use smite evil per day.

Ride By Attack: A Cavalier of Justice gains Ride By Attack as a bonus feat.

Lance Weapon Talent: At 2nd level, a Cavalier of Justice gains Weapon Specialization (Lance) as a bonus feat. At 5th level he gains Greater Weapon Focus (Lance), and at 8th level he gains Greater Weapon Specialization (Lance). He need not meet the prerequisites for these feats.

Focused Charge (Ex): At 2nd level, a Cavalier of Justice can direct his allies' attacks with a mighty charge. If you hit with a charge attack while mounted, your allies gain a +1 morale bonus to attacks and damage rolls against the target of your attack until the start of your next turn. This bonus increases by one for every two Cavalier of Justice levels you have, as shown on the above table.

Master Defender (Ex): At 3rd level, a Cavalier of Justice gains the ability to defend against an enemy's incoming weapon attack as an opportunity action. When an enemy makes an attack roll with a melee or ranged weapon against an ally in your melee reach, you can use an opportunity action to attempt to block this attack. You must declare the use of this ability before the attack is rolled. If you succeed on an attack roll against an AC equal to the attack roll of the provoking attack, you block the attack. Otherwise, the attack is resolved normally. This ability can only be used once per round, regardless of how many opportunity actions you get in one round. At 9th level, you may automatically succeed on your attack roll to block the enemy's attack. You can still choose to make the check as normal, and if you succeed you gain a free trip or disarm attempt against the target.

Short Haft (lance): At 4th level Cavalier of Justice gains Short Haft (described in the Player's Handbook II) as a bonus feat, but its benefit only applies to the lance.

Spirited Charge: A Cavalier of Justice gains Spirited Charge as a bonus feat at 7th level.

Paragon of Justice (Ex): At 10th level a Cavalier of Justice is so fully devoted to the cause of all that is good and just that he becomes an avatar of good and law. He gains the good and law subtypes and all of his attacks are treated as good, lawful, and adamantine for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction. Finally, he gains DR 10/Evil.

Multiclass Note: A Cavalier of Justice may continue advancing as a Paladin after advancing in this class.

Ex-Cavaliers of Justice: A Cavalier of Justice that willingly committing an evil act cannot gain levels in this class until he atones.

EDIT: Alignment requirement now Lawful Good, remove disease to lay on hands

JoshuaZ
2010-03-10, 08:26 PM
Ex-Cavaliers of Justice: A Cavalier of Justice that is caught by a legitimate authority figure willingly committing an evil act cannot gain levels in this class until he atones.

So as long as they are sneaky about it is ok? That doesn't seem to be the intended fluff but that's sort of what it ends up sounding like. Bad cavalier! Sneak better next time!

mummy162
2010-03-10, 08:40 PM
So as long as they are sneaky about it is ok? That doesn't seem to be the intended fluff but that's sort of what it ends up sounding like. Bad cavalier! Sneak better next time!

Good point... Allow me to change that. :smallbiggrin:

Dannan-Kun
2010-03-11, 01:32 AM
Isn't the ability "Paragon Of Justice" a little over powered?

Gorgondantess
2010-03-11, 01:35 AM

Looks like a fairly standard capstone to me. Maybe a bit more powerful, but compare it against, say, the monk capstone. Hey, it's a melee class, can't it have nice things?:smallwink:

mummy162
2010-03-11, 06:36 AM

I agree with Gorgondantess on this point. If you invest 10 levels into something, you should get something nice in return. Plus, it has a weakness, too - you are dealt extra damage by chaotic and evil aligned attacks. So you can overcome some DR, are weak to some attacks, and get a cool DR ability.

mummy162
2010-03-12, 08:43 AM
*cricket*:roach:*cricket* Is no one else going to tell me what to change?

ErrantX
2010-03-12, 11:42 AM
Knight / Paladin abilities:

I'd change this to say... Dedicated Training. It allows Cavalier levels to stack with Knights as written, change Paladin to boost Lay on Hands instead of remove disease as that's garbage. May as well boost something that will actually be useful, ya know? That and it's not too strong. This class could also be used with Fighter, so I'd say it would count towards Fighter specific feat chains, especially as you're giving away free fighter specific feats anyhow.

Master Defender:

What is an opportunity action? You mean an attack of opportunity? "...you may use an attack of opportunity to attempt to block the attack" would be better wording. 9th level is WAY too strong, that's negate one attack per round for free.

Paragon of Justice:

Paragon of Justice makes absolutely no sense to this class. This is "I'm really good on a horse with a lance" then suddenly becomes "I'm infused with supernatural power to make me resilient". Especially being all amazing good and law, when the class allows a neutral alignment. The capstone isn't OP, but it doesn't make any sense at all with the rest of the abilities. Now if you had mounted Smite Evil / Chaos, that'd be more in line. Hell, I'd consider adding it anyhow, I think it would be awesome. You need something that improves your ability to attack from horseback. Say the ability to resolve attacks on a charge that successfully hit as critical damage, or something that allows you to make a full attack on the end of a mounted charge (including the mount making a full attack as well).

Just some ideas. This has some potential, it just needs some good refining.

-X