PDA

View Full Version : arcane/divine progression

urbanpirate
2010-03-10, 09:03 PM
aside from mystic theurge and arcane hierophant are there any other prestige classes that grant +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/
+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

tyckspoon
2010-03-10, 09:04 PM
Yes, but they pretty much all suck. The ones that come to mind are True Necromancer (Libris Mortis) and Yathinshree (sic, Drow of the Underdark, requires being a Drow.)

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-10, 09:06 PM
I think that that class with crazy requirement (speaking druidic, having evasion, spellcasting and some hefty skill requirements) Focuchulan Lyrist or so

It is bard/druid

JoshuaZ
2010-03-10, 09:10 PM
aside from mystic theurge and arcane hierophant are there any other prestige classes that grant +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/
+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

Yathrinshee and True Necromancer both do. Yathrinshee is in one of the FR books and requires worship of a specific deity and doesn't advance both at each level (it misses 2 or three). True Necromancer is in Libris Mortis. It advances only arcane at first level and then only divine at 2nd level (or the other way around. Not sure) and then has 14 levels of both. Unfortunately, the class abilities are weak and you essentially give up getting 9th level spell pre-epic. And it requires a semi-redundant domain to qualify.

AbyssKnight
2010-03-10, 11:08 PM
True Necromancer (Libris Mortis) actually only get 12/14 casting in each class, advancing only arcane at 1 and 6 and only divine at 2 and 7, and both at all other levels (yes it is 14 levels long).

Yathrinshee (Players Guide to Faerun, actually) doesn't actually even qualify, it has three levels of no casting advancement, arcane at 2, 5, and 8, and divine at 3, 6, and 9. There are no levels that advance both.

The only classes that give +1 arcane/+1 divine are Mystic Theurge, Arcane Heirophant, and Fochlucan Lyricist.

BTW, there are some ways to get around the really mixed up pre-reqs for Fochlucan Lyricist. Combat Medic (Heroes of Battle) gives full 5/5 casting and Evasion at 4th level. So you can get in without Rogue (Shadowdancer, etc that doesn't help you cast).

And for Arcane Heirophant, Holt Warden (Complete Champion) gives full 10/10 casting and Trackless Step at 3rd level. So you can get in as a Cleric.

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-10, 11:48 PM
Anyone who actually thinks Yathrinshee is a decent PrC needs their head examined.

Let's see, AH, MT, True Necro, that about does it. There's Eldritch Disciple, but it's Warlock/Cleric. There's also a pair of Divine/Psionic (one of which doesn't advance both, but can be entered by either exclusively).

urbanpirate
2010-03-11, 05:51 PM
True Necromancer (Libris Mortis) actually only get 12/14 casting in each class, advancing only arcane at 1 and 6 and only divine at 2 and 7, and both at all other levels (yes it is 14 levels long).

Yathrinshee (Players Guide to Faerun, actually) doesn't actually even qualify, it has three levels of no casting advancement, arcane at 2, 5, and 8, and divine at 3, 6, and 9. There are no levels that advance both.

The only classes that give +1 arcane/+1 divine are Mystic Theurge, Arcane Heirophant, and Fochlucan Lyricist.

BTW, there are some ways to get around the really mixed up pre-reqs for Fochlucan Lyricist. Combat Medic (Heroes of Battle) gives full 5/5 casting and Evasion at 4th level. So you can get in without Rogue (Shadowdancer, etc that doesn't help you cast).

And for Arcane Heirophant, Holt Warden (Complete Champion) gives full 10/10 casting and Trackless Step at 3rd level. So you can get in as a Cleric.

hmm i think i just ordered up somthin with tripple cheese

DragoonWraith
2010-03-11, 05:58 PM
hmm i think i just ordered up somthin with tripple cheese
What on earth among his statements could possibly be considered cheesy? I'm so lost.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-11, 06:13 PM
I suppose bypassing the Fochulan lyrist requirements?

taltamir
2010-03-11, 10:23 PM
What on earth among his statements could possibly be considered cheesy? I'm so lost.

he assumes that dual progression classes are powerful instead of a trap (because of loss of caster progression). It is an easy mistake to make, I made it myself early on before learning the cardinal rule of winning DnD. Thou shalt not lose castel levels.

Bibliomancer
2010-03-11, 10:26 PM
he assumes that dual progression classes are powerful instead of a trap (because of loss of caster progression). It is an easy mistake to make, I made it myself early on before learning the cardinal rule of winning DnD. Thou shalt not lose castel levels.

However, if the caster level loss is bypassed (as the above route was able to do), then the dual progression classes become fairly powerful. In a normal quasi-optimized game, this could certainly be considered 'cheesy', especially due to the fairly convoluted method involved.

taltamir
2010-03-11, 10:50 PM
However, if the caster level loss is bypassed (as the above route was able to do), then the dual progression classes become fairly powerful. In a normal quasi-optimized game, this could certainly be considered 'cheesy', especially due to the fairly convoluted method involved.

the dual progression classes he called cheesy do not bypass the loss of caster level. you still need to lose 3 levels to qualify for them. and you are still screwed at the end because there aren't enough of them to take you to level 20 without losing anymore on one side.

JoshuaZ
2010-03-11, 10:54 PM

Wait, you lose more at 6 and 7? I don't think I've actually played the class so never bothered looking that far. Seemed weak enough just with the problems at 1 and 2. *Scampers off to look at LM*.

Edit: Yeah, apparently you do. Wow. That class stinks.

urbanpirate
2010-03-11, 10:58 PM
probably should have claified at the begining, i am bulding a gestalt caster

druid/wizard up to 6
arcane heirophant/probbly cleric till 16
druid/second dual progression prc beyond

T.G. Oskar
2010-03-11, 11:19 PM
probably should have claified at the begining, i am bulding a gestalt caster

druid/wizard up to 6
arcane heirophant/probbly cleric till 16
druid/second dual progression prc beyond

Just to clarify: by Gestalt rules, a dual progression PrC counts as one single entry; heck, the rules often prohibit (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/gestaltCharacters.htm#buildingAGestaltCharacter) their existence.

taltamir
2010-03-11, 11:25 PM
if you wanna do that, make an ubercast (SL9 casting in almost every class)