PDA

View Full Version : Shadowfall Stirring

Elfin
2010-03-11, 12:51 AM
"Halbaran."

The name issues from beneath the stranger's hood and seeps, muffled, through the dusty air as he slid from the shadowy alleyway.

"It has been a lifetime in the years of men since last we met, Halbaran Aurin, but I hope that you yet remember me."

The stranger's kind was nothing unusual here, in the outskirts of Blackrest: a loner, veiled in a worn, dusty cloak from head to toe, revealing only a pair of iron-shod boots; he could be any sort of brigand seeking shelter.

Or something worse, perhaps...was it merely your mind playing tricks on you, or did those look to be blades protruding slightly from underneath his thick garments? And, if you strained your eyes, could you not make out a slight golden glow, an aura of sunlight glimmering about him?

It seemed absurd that one of Baenriv's assassins had hunted you down already...it had been days since your vessel had crashed...but then, was Blackrest not the obvious haven? Was this shady figure, even now, watching you, trying to pick out any weakness?

"I mean you no harm, madam, Halbaran; I have come merely to redress an oath I swore once, many years ago.
No harm shall come to either of you by my hand or of those of my friends, I swear it upon the White Spire.
I can aid you, defend you from those who hunt you, and bestow you besides with mighty riches.
So: Will you hear me out?"

Mokuren
2010-03-11, 07:47 AM
Rena had crack opened her book since she perceived someone approaching. Given her mood and recent past, her first reaction to the approach of a stranger would have been to blast him into oblivion, along with the rest of the neighbourhood, but fortunately the reasonable part of her kicked in and tried to get her in a more careful position.

Especially since he mentioned knowing Halbaran, and therefore possibly being the very reason she got herself into all that trouble. Could the tables have started turning?

In spite of the pain her back was still in, she straightened herself and closed her book, keeping it ready at her side, regardless. "Certainly you realize that an offer of help like yours is too good to not leave room for suspicion, especially considering your very appropriate timing".

She examined his figure again. Rena knew better than to blindly engage strangers, especially those with suspiciously accurate timing and alluring offers, so she considered that a bit of guard wouldn't hurt, althought that stranger had great many teeth, and as every good girl knows, it means he ought to be treated with respect.

"... Of course, we'll listen you out". Yes, she used we, because she felt it was important to underline the position of leadership was hers, "Thought I assume it's my companion you have to talk to the most, am I wrong?".

Elfin
2010-03-11, 03:06 PM
"It is indeed he whom I seek, Rena Lagasa, but you would both benefit by my words."

The figure turns back to Halbaran.

"Your companion has assented to hear me, Aurin - now what say you?"

truemane
2010-03-12, 02:41 PM
Halbaran's mind whirled with thoughts and indecisions. He was not an overly intellectual creature. He had spent his life learning to walk that twilight line between conscious and unconscious thought and was comfortable making judgments purely on instinct. It was that exact trait, that ability to depend on his own mind, that initially made him so attractive to the Order. And it was that ability that was now causing him such frustration.

Rena spoke immediately. She was much more rational, logical than he. And while he respected her intelligence, her judgment could leave much to be desired.

Questions clouded his mind: could he trust this man? Was it even a man? Had he just sworn on the White Spire? And even if he had, was that enough?

In the end, though, all them noise faded and he came down to one simple thought. After all, there were only two options here: kill this man, or listen to what he had to say. Halbaran was sick to the very marrow of his bones with killing.

He decided that he would listen. And reserve judgment on the man's fate until later. So decided, his usual serene equanimity settled on him and he became calm once again.

"I will listen," he said, his voice low and quiet, "But I doubt it will do you any good. I'm finished doing the dirty work of people like you. And neither pain nor riches will compel me to change my mind."

He threw a sideways glance at Rena as he spoke, knowing that she was most likely motivated by both of those things.

Elfin
2010-03-13, 03:25 PM
"Very well."

With one swift, fluid motion, the figure pulls back his hood.

An aasimar.

Long, silver hair is draped down over his shoulders, and his pale skin glows with shimmering, golden light. His eyes are what most give him away, though - set beneath his strong brow, they resemble orbs of molten gold.

"I am Aratal, of the kindred of Aryanath: the aasimar, Planetouched, we are called by some, and the Leiyanar in our own tongue.

When you, Halbaran, dwelt not yet upon this world, your father was a great friend to my people - yes, it is true: I see the doubt in your eyes, but believe me - and he aided us on many occasions, saving even our mighty lord from on high from the clutches of the Kartalur - the ogres, as they are known in your own lands.

Then, when you had at last been brought beneath the Light, though seen but a single winter, your father embarked upon a final task for the Leiyanar.

I was one of his companions.

We sought deep beneath the earth, and the other five who joined us were slain by horrid creatures of the Darkness. We - your father and I - survived the attack, however, and made it after much toil to the object of our search.

But then we realized how foolish we had been.
In the last leg of our journey, we had been careless, leaving a trail easy for our foes to follow. They ambushed us there, at our goal, and would have slain me...if not for your father. Despite my insistence to the contrary, he threw himself before me, allowing my escape - at the cost of his own."

Here Aratal wavers; he bows down, and his golden aura seems to dim to a tarnished bronze.

"I...I swore an oath then, as your father met his fate. I swore to defend his son, no matter what befell either of us, you or I, Halbaran. And now that oath I must repay."

The aasimar regains his composure, and now his face is set in grim defiance.

"Your hunters are nearly upon you. They land even now in the docks of Blackrest, nigh upon two score of them - I doubt it will be an hour before they stalk the streets.

However, I can, if you wish it, carry you away upon swift wings; I shall take you wherever you wish, as long as you grant me a single grace - that we may land upon Aryanath the White Isle before reaching your desired haven."

Mokuren
2010-03-14, 08:14 AM
It is always hard to tell whether Rena is in a good or bad mood because she always has this furrowed brow and her thin lips are more often curved down than not. While it's most likely just a natural slope, it might as well have become like that with time.

Certainly, she did not show a great ability to smile and be of good cheer, if at all. The best smile she is capable of reeks of sharp teeth and ill intentions.

"So, cavalry has come to save us in a dark hour, while we're in dire straits and hunted like criminals. How convenient", her suspicion is clear, for her calm tone is more than capable of dripping sarcasm strong enough to eat through metal, "I ordinarily would fry people like you and leave them out for their colleagues to find, however...".

She sighs, relaxing a little, "I trust you. While I would be loath to make such an oath as you did, I can understand your reasons, and won't deny that your motivation is strong. As it stands, I also want Halbaran to remain alive, other than myself of course; therefore I, for one, agree with going towards Aryanath. It would certainly be a safer haven than this one".

She gives a glance to Halbaran, thought it's clear she has no intention of discussing. She set her mind on that course of action, it would be easier to move a mountain than make her change her mind now, "Looks like your father made some useful friends. You should be thankful".

truemane
2010-03-15, 10:27 AM
Ignoring Rena for the moment (but only for the moment - he'd never met a person as immune to being ignored as Rena), Halbaran fixed his stare on the Aasimar. He'd had very little contact with the Planetouched over the years, but they always made him uneasy. They seemed to be the very incarnation of virtue and grace and Halbaran, for whom virtue was entirely internal, always found that mildly suspicious, as though they were trying too hard. Hiding something. He knew, logically, that he was being unfair, but was unable to escape the preconception.

"You're wrong," he said finally, his voice flat and even, "Wrong or lying. My father worked in a tannery in the boweries of Tiernen. He was a good man. Never drank. Soft-spoken and fair. He worked very hard and took good care of my mother and I. But he was no hero. And he certainly didn't die before I was born."

Halbaran's mouth pulled down in a sour expression that was half sneer half frown. Almost as though he was comparing himself to the memory of his solid, sober and quietly industrious father and he wasn't sure how to feel about it.

Elfin
2010-03-15, 02:22 PM
"Yes. We decided it was best, the Leiyanar, that you had a father to watch over you, to make sure you did not run astray. He was a good man...though I wish he had succeeded.

But the past is the past - there is no use trying to change it. And, if you do not hurry, you shall not live to see the future."

Aratal gives Rena a piercing gaze, as if trying to size her up; he then gives Halbaran the same.

"Now, quickly. If you value your lives, follow me."

The aasimar beckons, and strides swiftly toward the outskirts of Blackrest.

Mokuren
2010-03-15, 03:13 PM
It is evident how Rena would prefer to be in the lead and have other people trailing behind her, but still she's reasonable enough to understand when she should simply shut up and follow. For now. It's almost possible to hear scribbling in her head as she takes mental notes on last-minute entrances to save the day.

"Well, aren't you glad?", she comments to Halbaran in the meantime, "You had such a doting father he even set up a conspiracy to keep you in the dark. Not to mention his friends forcing your mother to spend the rest of her life with a stranger so you wouldn't suspect a thing".

She smirks, if it was up to her, she'd have told him when he was three. Of course, she's not good about the 'not stepping brutally on other people's feelings' part of relationships.

truemane
2010-03-19, 10:09 AM
Halbaran offers Rena a withering look as they start off after Aratal. He wanted to say something, but he knew that any evidence of his misery would only entertain her. And what could he say, really? It was true.

So he settled for a muttered, "Shut up, Rena" before turning the entirety of his attention to following the Asimaar while being aware of his surroundings.