PDA

View Full Version : increasing in size

gallagher
2010-03-11, 01:53 AM
hello playground,
where might i find a table that tells me the stats for increasing a size category?

for instance, the bonuses from going from medium to large, but also additional categories (like if i had a few potions of enlarge person on hand...)

EDIT
i found one that will do the hide, attack/ac, and grapple modifiers, but i was more leaning on stat boosts, like strength

Caphi
2010-03-11, 02:07 AM
Enlarge person and other such effects don't stack, so you'd only go up to Large.

gallagher
2010-03-11, 02:07 AM
Enlarge person and other such effects don't stack, so you'd only go up to Large.well i am already large sized... if that helps.

jokey665
2010-03-11, 02:12 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#sizeIncreases

Kensen
2010-03-11, 02:12 AM
The title of this thread reminded me of some of the junk email I get. :smallbiggrin:

Seriously though, descriptions of magical spells and effects that increase your size tell you how your stats change. For example, the spell description of Enlarge Person says you get +2 Str and -2 Dex in addition to the other benefits and disadvantages of being Large.

For monsters, increasing their size is explained in the Monster Manual. But none of that concerns the PCs, unless you're playing in a rather unusual campaign.

Oh and by the way, several magical effects that increase your size don't stack. Thus, drinking two or more potions of Enlarge Person won't make you Huge or bigger if your base size is Medium.

Runestar
2010-03-11, 02:13 AM
The table is in the MM (towards the end), but that applies mainly to monsters who grow larger by adding on extra HD.

Usually, spells which increase your size also specify how your stats are modified, which supersede the normal bonuses.

For example, enlarge person would grant just +2str/-2dex, you ignore the normal +8str/-2dex/+4con for growing to large.

Kensen
2010-03-11, 02:19 AM
If your base size is Large, it's very unlikely that you're a humanoid, so Enlarge Person probably won't work. Unless it is a homebrewed Large humanoid race, of course. The psionic power Expansion works even if you're not a humanoid.

gallagher
2010-03-11, 05:42 PM
well i am planning on having a character that has half minotaur... so is there any way to make myself huge without using enlarge person, so that i can benefit from an additional 8 str?

AslanCross
2010-03-11, 05:58 PM
I'd just like to note that the size increase bonuses and penalties table is meant for DM use (which is why it's in the Monster Manual). It's still up to your DM whether he/she will actually let you get those bonuses or not.

Minotaur is a Monstrous Humanoid, so Enlarge Person will definitely not work (Humanoid != Monstrous humanoid), but I don't know what type Half-Minotaur gets you.

Kensen
2010-03-11, 05:59 PM
Is does half minotaur make you a monstrous humanoid? Well, the psionic power Expansion will make you Huge regardless of your type, but the Str bonus is only +2. And its duration is short unless your level is high enough to augment it... it's probably not what you're looking for, but well it's the only easy way to become Huge I can think of.

DonDuckie
2010-03-11, 06:27 PM
Ring of Growth, Savage Species p. 54

command word, 1/day, 9 minutes duration

18000 gp

EDIT: +4 size bonus to Strength, so you even hit better in melee

Sploosh
2010-03-11, 06:46 PM
Pretty sure a half minotaur is still a humanoid.

Starbuck_II
2010-03-11, 07:01 PM
Is does half minotaur make you a monstrous humanoid? Well, the psionic power Expansion will make you Huge regardless of your type, but the Str bonus is only +2. And its duration is short unless your level is high enough to augment it... it's probably not what you're looking for, but well it's the only easy way to become Huge I can think of.

Type no change according to Crystal Keep.

faceroll
2010-03-11, 07:46 PM
Pretty sure a half minotaur is still a humanoid.

So long as the base creature is humanoid, yes, half-minotaur stays humanoid. I have DR 313. The half-ogre template + half minotaur on a small race gets you +20 str and up to large size. :smallbiggrin:

If you use a base creature with powerful build, put on half-minotaur, take 3 levels of psychic warrior, take the power expansion and the feat practiced manifester, when you have 7 hit dice and manifest and augmented expansion, you can wield colossal weapons. You are gargantuan but count as colossal whenever it would be advantageous to you.