PDA

View Full Version : Korean Otaku marries Fate Pillowcase

Lord of Rapture
2010-03-11, 03:08 AM
Seriously, WTF? (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98910-Korean-Otaku-Marries-Anime-Body-Pillow) :smalleek:

Are you trying to make East Asian look like lunatics?

FoE
2010-03-11, 03:11 AM
That's nothing. I was once engaged to a week-old ham. We broke it off when I found out she was seeing the cheese.

Lord of Rapture
2010-03-11, 03:17 AM
That's nothing. I was once engaged to a week-old ham. We broke it off when I found out she was seeing the cheese.

Good, you're here.

*shoots FoE to ensure natural selection*

Fri
2010-03-11, 03:19 AM
not exactly new news. Anyway, this is not the first time something like this happened. A few time ago someone married a character from that DS sim, Love Plus.

Innis Cabal
2010-03-11, 03:20 AM
Its mentioned in the article.

At least their honeymoon won't be anything new. Its odd she wore white to the wedding. We all know thats a lie.

Coidzor
2010-03-11, 03:25 AM
Look, on the bright side, the problem is more or less self-correcting.

On the other hand, that it's cropping up at all bears investigating. Perhaps they have some mutation in the genes that allow for symbology.

So, only thing for it for now is to hope that sperm donation is an impossibility well beyond the realms they think in.

Prime32
2010-03-11, 03:28 AM
Doesn't he know that she already has the Nanoha pillow?

Cubey
2010-03-11, 09:31 AM
Doesn't he know that she already has the Nanoha pillow?

This.
Do not break canon ships, people! What kind of real Nanoha fan thinks Fate is straight enough to marry him anyway?

Starfols
2010-03-11, 09:49 AM
I think I see what everyone's upset about. Fate? Really?? Hayate-chan is obviously the superior choice. :smallcool::smalltongue:

Nerd-o-rama
2010-03-11, 09:53 AM
I think I see what everyone's upset about. Fate? Really?? Hayate-chan is obviously the superior choice. :smallcool::smalltongue:

That just runs into the whole

What kind of real Nanoha fan thinks Fate is straight enough to marry him anyway?problem even harder.

Oh, hey, this was brought up in the article too.

Tengu_temp
2010-03-11, 09:53 AM
http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=7990409
"Hands off my waifu!"

Starbuck_II
2010-03-11, 10:22 AM
Wait, did the pillow case say "I Do". If so, this is magical pillow case. This man discovered magic.

Or he has Ventriloquism...

Nerd-o-rama
2010-03-11, 10:23 AM
Wait, did the pillow case say "I Do". If so, this is magical pillow case. This man discovered magic.

Or he has Ventriloquism...

Unless Korea has very different marriage laws than the US (where both parties have to sign a contract), I doubt this was a legal marriage.

Rogue 7
2010-03-11, 10:24 AM
Or everyone around him just patted him on the head and said "you do that" while edging for the door. They didn't want to take the pillow away from him or tell him this all doesn't count, because then he might flip out and kill people.

Optimystik
2010-03-11, 11:00 AM
Whoever performed the ceremony probably made a mint as well.

And guys, look at the bright side; he'll never need to worry about unwanted children or STIs. (Until his pillow starts two-timing him anyway.)

Jayngfet
2010-03-11, 11:50 AM
I find it amazing and disturbing that he can keep his job and social life with that pillow. Odds are he can't, but still...

Starbuck_II
2010-03-11, 11:57 AM
I find it amazing and disturbing that he can keep his job and social life with that pillow. Odds are he can't, but still...

Probably can't fire you without a good reason there. And dating/marrying a fictional character isn't a good reason there. He has very open friends: they don't mind his antics.

Sneak
2010-03-11, 12:07 PM
Has anyone seen the episode of 30 Rock with James Franco in it?

People just need to be more understand of body pillow love.

Rogue 7
2010-03-11, 12:12 PM
Has anyone seen the episode of 30 Rock with James Franco in it?

People just need to be more understand of body pillow love.

At least Franco went for a chick who is actually into dudes (well, as well as the ladies). Rin Tohsaka. I must salute his excellent taste in fictional women.

Dervag
2010-03-11, 12:27 PM
Good, you're here.

*shoots FoE to ensure natural selection*Now that's just unnecessary. Anyone who's dating week-old ham has removed themselves from the gene pool preemptively.

Or everyone around him just patted him on the head and said "you do that" while edging for the door. They didn't want to take the pillow away from him or tell him this all doesn't count, because then he might flip out and kill people.This.

Starscream
2010-03-11, 12:29 PM
Read about this yesterday. The creepy thing is that he buys meals for it. To me, that signals the line between "I am lonely and desperate" and "I may actually be delusional."

Cubey
2010-03-11, 12:31 PM
At least Franco went for a chick who is actually into dudes (well, as well as the ladies). Rin Tohsaka. I must salute his excellent taste in fictional women.

I must watch 30 Rock now.

Starscream
2010-03-11, 12:58 PM

Everybody should, on general principles.

Setra
2010-03-11, 01:28 PM
Judging from the general reaction, I am wondering if I should feel bad for finding this hilarious.

valadil
2010-03-11, 01:54 PM
Unless Korea has very different marriage laws than the US (where both parties have to sign a contract), I doubt this was a legal marriage.

I'm sure their laws are somewhat different, but I'm not about to spend time searching for Korean marriage law. Around the US I imagine you'd have no trouble getting an officiant to do it (in some states you can even get your friends to do that part for you, for a small fee) but the marriage license would be the deal breaker.

kamikasei
2010-03-11, 02:17 PM

I must find this episode which I apparently missed. But yes, everyone should watch 30 Rock regardless.

Starscream
2010-03-11, 02:30 PM
Judging from the general reaction, I am wondering if I should feel bad for finding this hilarious.

It's pretty sad for the guy in question, but hilarious for everyone else.

Around the US I imagine you'd have no trouble getting an officiant to do it (in some states you can even get your friends to do that part for you, for a small fee) but the marriage license would be the deal breaker.

I kind of doubt it matters. It's not like the pillow is concerned with inheritance or life insurance, and it probably won't be co-signing any loans, or demanding half in a divorce settlement. If the pillow does is not granted any marital rights, it is not because it is not legally married. It is because it is a pillow.

If this guy wants to go around calling the thing his wife, nobody can really stop him. Although the men in white coats might take an interest.

chiasaur11
2010-03-11, 03:03 PM
I must find this episode which I apparently missed. But yes, everyone should watch 30 Rock regardless.

It is one of the greats. Not "Jack as Tracey's entire family" AND a "Page off" in one episode great, but, well...

Nothing else is.

Winthur
2010-03-11, 03:27 PM
Duh. It's obvious that the guy wanted attention. :P

Then again, you've got to imagine their first night. And the implications of the sin of premarital sex. :smalleek:

:smalleek:

I need brain bleach now.

Lost Demiurge
2010-03-11, 03:31 PM

Dude, I think you were misinformed. Everybody KNOWS the Cheese stands alone!

Rogue 7
2010-03-11, 09:24 PM

It was the only episode I've seen, and the Tohsaka pillow was both a really poor knockoff and never explicitly named. But I prefer to think that at least someone on the 30 Rock staff was a fan of F/SN and recommended it.

And Setra, I sure as hell don't feel bad laughing at him.

darkblade
2010-03-11, 09:27 PM
It was the only episode I've seen, and the Tohsaka pillow was both a really poor knockoff and never explicitly named. But I prefer to think that at least someone on the 30 Rock staff was a fan of F/SN and recommended it.

And Setra, I sure as hell don't feel bad laughing at him.

Well they'd need permission from the western liscensors of F S/N to specifically mention her name as that could be seen as product placement.

Jayngfet
2010-03-11, 09:30 PM
Has anyone bothered to think how old that pillowcase is? I mean there's no way it was made long enough ago it'd be in the age of consent, which adds "pedophile" to this guys ever growing creepy list.

Innis Cabal
2010-03-11, 09:33 PM
Has anyone bothered to think how old that pillowcase is? I mean there's no way it was made long enough ago it'd be in the age of consent, which adds "pedophile" to this guys ever growing creepy list.

Well now we're just getting silly.

Rogue 7
2010-03-11, 09:34 PM
Well they'd need permission from the western liscensors of F S/N to specifically mention her name as that could be seen as product placement.

I suppose, though given the difference in size between whoever released the F/SN anime (because god knows they'll never release the VN over here...I think I may have something to do in Akihabara in a few weeks.) and NBC, I doubt anyone would even consider making a stink about it.

And This clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mnUyEd7avE) at least shows off the pillow, if not the scene in question. I can't think of who that could be besides Rin.

@Jayngfet- given that I would be willing to put money on the fact that this was a pillow of first and second-season Fate, I would expect that to be already established.

Soras Teva Gee
2010-03-11, 09:56 PM
[img]
"Hands off my waifu!"

Well maybe Ferret Boy would finally have a chance now.... who am I kidding this man has signed up for a bigger Divine Buster then Quattro.

(btw thanks for the image)

warty goblin
2010-03-11, 10:11 PM
Read about this yesterday. The creepy thing is that he buys meals for it. To me, that signals the line between "I am lonely and desperate" and "I may actually be delusional."

No, buying the pillow is lonely and desperate. Marrying the pillow is delusional all on it's own.

Buying it meals though? That you've gotta commend. Shows he's doing things right, you know? Not half-assing it, but really trying to make the relationship work.

Drakevarg
2010-03-11, 10:14 PM

Depends. At what age does a pillow reach adulthood?

Of course, pillows being nonhuman this may possibly qualify as bestiality.

Soras Teva Gee
2010-03-11, 10:18 PM
Depends. At what age does a pillow reach adulthood?

Of course, pillows being nonhuman this may possibly qualify as bestiality.

Are you suggesting this is some sort of leather pillowcase? Okay I suppose the pillow could be goose down, but Fate herself is the case.

Jayngfet
2010-03-11, 10:31 PM
Are you suggesting this is some sort of leather pillowcase? Okay I suppose the pillow could be goose down, but Fate herself is the case.

Wait, are you saying the pillowcase itself is into bestiality?

Drakevarg
2010-03-11, 10:31 PM

I dunno. Is there a term for being horny for inanimate objects?

Soras Teva Gee
2010-03-11, 10:48 PM
Wait, are you saying the pillowcase itself is into bestiality?

Well said pillowcase does have only one longer term companion then her waifu.... so maybe.

(Gods this conversation is disturbing, I should go back to shipping devils with ferrets. I defy you canon!)

Drakevarg
2010-03-11, 10:55 PM
Well said pillowcase does have only one longer term companion then her waifu.... so maybe.

(Gods this conversation is disturbing, I should go back to shipping devils with ferrets. I defy you canon!)

I love the Internet. I only WISH I could hear people saying stuff like this out in meatspace.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-11, 11:24 PM
I'm going to quote one of my favorite cartoon characters here.

"That is sick and Wrong!"

Felyndiira
2010-03-11, 11:30 PM
I am no longer surprised at stuff like this. (http://collateraldamage.wordpress.com/2008/10/30/japanese-man-tries-to-make-cartoon-marriage-real/)

Now, if I can only find the article about the 80-year old Japanese otaku that tried to marry Fate Testarossa...

The Glyphstone
2010-03-12, 12:11 AM
apparently 'pulvillus' is Latin for 'pillow', so that makes this...Pulvilluphilia?

warty goblin
2010-03-12, 12:13 AM
apparently 'pulvillus' is Latin for 'pillow', so that makes this...Pulvilluphilia?

Thank you. That word makes this seem even more disturbing than it already was.

Coidzor
2010-03-12, 05:12 AM

I think either of those would add necrophilia onto the list, actually...

mikej
2010-03-12, 05:21 AM
facepalm*

I heard of this story earlier, but I still can't believe someone would actually do it. People are going to see this and I think all anime fans are a bunch of weird freaks. Well, more than probally already do.

Winthur
2010-03-12, 05:28 AM
facepalm*

I heard of this story earlier, but I still can't believe someone would actually do it. People are going to see this and I think all Asians are a bunch of weird freaks.

Fix'd. I think that's more likely.

Well, more than probally already do.
As Encyclopedia Dramatica proves. :smalltongue:

You know, I think that was a good idea that I hesitated to buy that magazine with a poster of Konata...

...I think it was. :smallfrown:

*sob*

Justyn
2010-03-12, 05:30 AM
This.
Do not break canon ships, people! What kind of real Nanoha fan thinks Fate is straight enough to marry him anyway?

One who is crazy enough to marry a pillow.

Haven
2010-03-12, 05:39 AM

As I recall, they referred to the pillow as "Kimiko-tan".

Mystic Muse
2010-03-12, 05:41 AM
I think either of those would add necrophilia onto the list, actually...

So that's Necro, Pedo, Pillow, anime character philia? in addition to bestiality?

Eldan
2010-03-12, 06:01 AM
For those looking for the correct word:

Object Sexuality. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object_sexuality)

"Objectum sexuality first reached mainstream attention in English in an international article from Der Spiegel[8] about Eija-Riita Eklöf Berliner-Mauer's "marriage" to the Berlin Wall and accounts of several German individuals."

Prime32
2010-03-12, 06:51 AM
@Jayngfet- given that I would be willing to put money on the fact that this was a pillow of first and second-season Fate, I would expect that to be already established.Nah, you can see it in some of the pictures. It's StrikerS Fate in her TSAB uniform.

Lord of Rapture
2010-03-12, 08:01 AM
Aww, why does Nanoha have to go with either Fate or Yuuno? :smallfrown:

Why not both? :smallbiggrin: (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/FanFic/RelationshipsSeries)

mikej
2010-03-12, 08:24 AM
Is this series popular or whatever?

Can anyone please tell me about the series where that girl on the pillow came from? I hear it a lot around here but never really bothered to find out.

Cubey
2010-03-12, 08:33 AM
Yeah, this is a fairly popular series, among certain circles of anime watchers. To be more precise: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha is, like the name suggests, a magical girl series, but it is aimed towards the seinen (young adult male) demographics. The first series in the installment was... okay, but its sequels, Nanoha As and Nanoha StrikerS were just great (although opinions may vary about StrikerS - I liked it). Defining characteristics of the franchise: lots of references to giant robot anime, a very gay cast, and the main heroine making acquintances mostly by beating the crap out of not-that-evil antagonists and then befriending them. So most watchers of the series are also mecha (mostly Gundam) fans and yuri (lesbian character relationships) enthusiasts.

Prime32
2010-03-12, 08:52 AM
So most watchers of the series are also mecha (mostly Gundam) fans and yuri (lesbian character relationships) enthusiasts.Mostly the first one for me. Until the lesbianism gets so blatant despite being "unconfirmed" that it becomes hilarious.

Also note that the start of the series is very misleading.

Lord of Rapture
2010-03-12, 09:04 AM
Mostly the first one for me. Until the lesbianism gets so blatant despite being "unconfirmed" that it becomes hilarious.

Also note that the start of the series is very misleading.

Seeing as I'm no big mecha fan, I'm only here for the second purpose.

Rogue 7
2010-03-12, 09:09 AM
As I recall, they referred to the pillow as "Kimiko-tan".

Bah! I'm still going to say it's Rin. :smalltongue:

And Prime, well, it certainly doesn't make this any better, but I'd be lying if I said I couldn't see why someone could be attracted to StrikerS-era Fate.