PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 The earliest Entry for Pyrokineticist

Grifthin
2010-03-11, 07:48 AM
This:

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Pyrokineticist

Look like a fun class - What's the earliest you can get into it ? Also what do you focus on ? Tripping Whip fighter ?

Also what class do you use for the entry, and what race.

Assassin89
2010-03-11, 07:56 AM
Never played a psionic character, but based on the prerequisites, I would say the earliest entry would be for a 5th level psion, psychic warrior, or wilder of any race.

Demons_eye
2010-03-11, 08:07 AM
I think you can get into it by four using the two feats that give you a rank in one skill or using Bard but you waste two feat and bard is borderline cheese.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-03-11, 08:09 AM
5th is the absolute earlyest with out gm intervention.

Its an ok class you can build a realy cool character around heat death.

Grifthin
2010-03-11, 08:26 AM
How would one abuse heat death ? What race do you guys think ?

RagnaroksChosen
2010-03-11, 08:37 AM
How would one abuse heat death ? What race do you guys think ?

its not realy abuse but:
psyonic meditation for move action psi focus.
Psiwarror is a good lead in due to hustle.

you can get three heat deaths off every 2 turns if done right i think you could get more as well.

I would do psi warrior 5 or egoist 5 /pyro 9
feats would be(in no perticular order)
psionic meditation
ability focus: heat death
quicken spell like ability

Try and get your char as high as possible.

Grifthin
2010-03-11, 08:52 AM
How about psion 17/ Pyro 3.

Set your hand aflame, then use control fire level 1 ability for the lulz.

What would make a good race that doesn't have a LA and has a bonus to charisma if possible ? Alternatively something that can multiclass without penalties.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-03-11, 08:58 AM
that is amusing.

I'm a big fan of scout 6/ pyro 10/ ninja 4

skirmish + bolt of fire+ potential sudden strike.

Optimystik
2010-03-11, 09:51 AM
What would make a good race that doesn't have a LA and has a bonus to charisma if possible ? Alternatively something that can multiclass without penalties.

Dromites have a Charisma bonus, and also satisfy the PP reserve requirement, meaning that you can enter the PrC without any levels in a psionic class.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-03-11, 09:52 AM
Dromites have a Charisma bonus, and also satisfy the PP reserve requirement, meaning that you can enter the PrC without any levels in a psionic class.

don't they have an LA?

Quirinus_Obsidian
2010-03-11, 09:57 AM
Yes, Dromites a +1. But, they are the coolest +1 LA. A bonus 1/day (Sp), small size, ability score increase, bonus power points, "scent", and natural armor? Sign me up!

Dude you're a freakin' bug! :smallbiggrin:

Also, Pyrokineticist works surprisingly well with a Soulknife, dual wielding. Great RP opportunity there. :smallamused:

Optimystik
2010-03-11, 10:06 AM
don't they have an LA?

Bah! They do. Lesser Aasimar then.

Draz74
2010-03-11, 01:44 PM
If we're talking about optimizing Pyrokineticist, it should be noted that it's an integral part of Flaming Homer, the Bowling Ball of Doom (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4108954&postcount=22).

Flickerdart
2010-03-11, 01:47 PM
Psyrogues make great Pyros because the lash is a touch attack, meaning your low BAB doesn't matter and you can benefit from Power Attack and Sneak Attack. Sadly, the Pyrokineticist doesn't advance psionics, so there's often little reason to progress beyond the 1st level. You could go Rogue/Pyro/Kensai, that should be pretty effective.

Draz74
2010-03-11, 01:52 PM
I dunno, it's probably not too bad a class to take all 10 levels in if you plan for it. Meaning, don't make your character any more psionics-based than necessary.

Maybe Swordsage 4 / Psychic Rogue 1 / Pyro 10 / Swordsage +5? Just don't take many Desert Wind maneuvers, no matter how thematically perfect they are, because they'll end up being pretty redundant.

Ravens_cry
2010-03-11, 01:52 PM
Bah! They do. Lesser Aasimar then.
Let me introduce you to a little thing called LA buyoff (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingleveladjustments.htm).

arguskos
2010-03-11, 01:58 PM
You know... you can enter Pyrokineticist thanks to the Wild Talent feat, which gives you a pp reserve. This is helpful, since you can do things like enter with a Duskblade with burning a level on a psionic class.

Flickerdart
2010-03-11, 02:03 PM
I dunno, it's probably not too bad a class to take all 10 levels in if you plan for it. Meaning, don't make your character any more psionics-based than necessary.

Maybe Swordsage 4 / Psychic Rogue 1 / Pyro 10 / Swordsage +5? Just don't take many Desert Wind maneuvers, no matter how thematically perfect they are, because they'll end up being pretty redundant.
Then you lose use of the Nimbus and Firewalk abilities. Conflagration sucks, and Heat Death's DC sucks. So you're not actually gaining anything after 4th level. 4th level gives you +7 damage on average - Fire damage that everything resists. With this few levels of Pyro, Bolt of Fire is also useless, and Hand Afire is useless for the same reason that Weapon Afire is, except for Monks and the like who need all the help they can get. So it's at best a 2-level class for an unarmed character, and then why do you need that whip to begin with?

RagnaroksChosen
2010-03-11, 02:04 PM

the only reason to go to 10th level is to get an extra d6 of dmg on your fire bolt.. the 10th level ability sucks.

Optimystik
2010-03-11, 02:22 PM
Let me introduce you to a little thing called LA buyoff (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingleveladjustments.htm).

I know what LA buyoff is. I was just trying to conform to the OP's wishes.

What would make a good race that doesn't have a LA and has a bonus to charisma

RagnaroksChosen
2010-03-11, 02:25 PM
Then you lose use of the Nimbus and Firewalk abilities. Conflagration sucks, and Heat Death's DC sucks. So you're not actually gaining anything after 4th level. 4th level gives you +7 damage on average - Fire damage that everything resists. With this few levels of Pyro, Bolt of Fire is also useless, and Hand Afire is useless for the same reason that Weapon Afire is, except for Monks and the like who need all the help they can get. So it's at best a 2-level class for an unarmed character, and then why do you need that whip to begin with?

Fire walk is usless you need PP to power it.

nimbus has its uses, realy just for the untyped char boost. which is nice for heat death.

The most common use is to get the whip which is nice 1d8 dmg as a touch attack isn't bad. That you can wield 2 handed power attack with and get your SA off if you have it.

Starbuck_II
2010-03-11, 03:41 PM
Fire walk is usless you need PP to power it.

nimbus has its uses, realy just for the untyped char boost. which is nice for heat death.

The most common use is to get the whip which is nice 1d8 dmg as a touch attack isn't bad. That you can wield 2 handed power attack with and get your SA off if you have it.

Too bad Nimbus is always 1/day: it is a nice ability.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-03-11, 03:45 PM
Too bad Nimbus is always 1/day: it is a nice ability.

ya agreed. i only use it in my pyro builds against things with high fortsaves for heat death.

Optimystik
2010-03-11, 04:17 PM
Frostburn has a cold version FYI - Cryokineticist.

They don't get a whip but can ice up any weapon, shoot cold bolts, and flash freeze everything within 30 feet. Sort of a mass Heat Death. Limited uses/day though. (1? 3?)

Or you can use the Mind's Eye Variant (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625e) to change the element type, and keep the same abilities as the pyro.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-03-11, 04:18 PM
Frostburn has a cold version FYI - Cryokineticist.

They don't get a whip but can ice up any weapon, shoot cold bolts, and flash freeze everything within 30 feet. Sort of a mass Heat Death. Limited uses/day though. (1? 3?)

Or you can use the Mind's Eye Variant (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625e) to change the element type, and keep the same abilities as the pyro.

that one is horrible... like rediculously horrible... it should be beaten with an ice pick.

minds eye is good.

Optimystik
2010-03-11, 04:38 PM
that one is horrible... like rediculously horrible... it should be beaten with an ice pick.

minds eye is good.

Ha! I definitely agree. The biggest problem is qualifying - An XPH Pyro can qualify just with a psionic race, but a FrB cryo actually needs manifester levels, and doesn't advance manifesting at all.

Sonokineticist is my favorite variant - so few things resist Sonic that the reduced die isn't a huge problem. And it's a very thematic choice for a Maenad. :smallbiggrin:

AstralFire
2010-03-11, 05:39 PM
Magic-Blooded Kalashtar.