PDA

View Full Version : What happens when?...

Amiel
2010-03-11, 10:03 AM
Instead of burning oil for fuel or using it as a splash weapon, you apply it to the entirety of your body; as much as can be used so that every (bodily) surface area is covered.
After doing so, you are free to attempt grapples or otherwise mess about in combat.

Will it more so hamper you or will it cause your opponent to let you go in frustration? Or something other?
Of course, this will mean that you will need to stay well away from lit/flammable areas.

Lysander
2010-03-11, 10:07 AM
A DM might give them a small circumstance bonus to escape grapples, and a penalty to maintain grapples.

jiriku
2010-03-11, 10:23 AM
A +2 modifier in appropriate circumstances sounds about right. Along with an extremely pungent aroma that follows you around until you bathe several times.

Malificus
2010-03-11, 10:42 AM
Instead of burning oil for fuel or using it as a splash weapon, you apply it to the entirety of your body; as much as can be used so that every (bodily) surface area is covered.
After doing so, you are free to attempt grapples or otherwise mess about in combat.

Will it more so hamper you or will it cause your opponent to let you go in frustration? Or something other?
Of course, this will mean that you will need to stay well away from lit/flammable areas.

Or be immune to fire, and start every fight by lighting up

Everyman
2010-03-11, 10:45 AM
First, I'd like to say that any thread or conversation that starts with "What happens when" makes me happy. If for no other reason than it can eventually transmute into a theoretical debate about something silly.

In your case, I'd say a +2 circumstance bonus on Escape Artist checks is in order, for about an hour or so. However, you'd also automatically catch on fire when exposed to any flame or fire damage (1d6 a round). I'd also increase the save to put out the flames by 2 (I think its a Reflex save). You could potentially incur a similar penalty to grapple checks, but I wouldn't bother (chances are that anyone who attempts this is trying to avoid grapple, not get into it).

Evard
2010-03-11, 10:47 AM
Positive Effect: +5 to get out of grapple checks, +10 if you are naked

Negative Effect: If any spark comes within your square you are set on fire, due to the amount of oil on you, your character takes 1d10 fire dmg per round and can only be put out by submerging self completely in water or being completely covered with magical water/ice.

Barbarian MD
2010-03-11, 01:38 PM
Special: ninjas cannot catch you when you are on fire.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-03-11, 02:56 PM
Isn't doing that the exact same thing as wearing greased armor? It just takes longer to get it in place. +10 circumstance bonus to avoid/escape a grapple/pin.