PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Suggestions for creating a Barbarian/Druid?

Jeivar
2010-03-11, 10:18 AM
Me and some friends are going to start a 6th level campaign in a few days, and I thought I'd get some recommendations for creating my character. I'm playing a human, probably Barbarian and I want to use a shield, since the 20-side die hates me and I WILL be throwing a lot of missed blows, but I'm undecided on feats, weapons, and such.
Alternately, it occurred to me to dual-class as a Barbarian/Druid, which adds the issue of how many levels to throw into each class.

Ideas? Classics or unconventionals?

JeminiZero
2010-03-11, 10:28 AM
A couple of questions:

1. What sources are available
2. What are your friends playing (i.e. what does your party need)
3. How cheesy do you want it to be?

As an alternative to Barbarian/Druid, if you want to play a nature attuned wild-man, you might want to consider the Wildshape Ranger.

Or you could go with the classic Human with Able Learner and Natural Spell, 1 Ninja/X Druid, and become a one man show.

jiriku
2010-03-11, 10:28 AM
If you mix druid and barbarian, use as little barbarian as possible, employing the extra rage feat for more rages. You want to get higher-order wild shapes and powerful druid buff spells as quickly as you can so you can kick as much ass as possible.

However, if you want more barbarian flavor and you're less interested in the druid spellcasting, consider barbarian/bear warrior (CW) instead, possibly including levels of nature's fist (CC) as well. Truly you shall be an irate kung-fu panda.

Edit: Additionally, Eldariel's Barbarian Guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105525) is the definitive handbook to all things involving the cracking of small men.

Jeivar
2010-03-11, 10:39 AM
A couple of questions:

1. What sources are available
2. What are your friends playing (i.e. what does your party need)
3. How cheesy do you want it to be?

1. The basic book and the Complete series.
2. I don't know actually.
3. Extra cheese, please. With pepperoni. :)

JeminiZero
2010-03-11, 10:58 AM
3. Extra cheese, please. With pepperoni. :)

You could really just go straight Druid and fare very well. All you need is a solid Wis bonus and the Natural Spell feat. Then you can wild shape into a big angy animal, and you, your Animal Companion, the horde of giant Wolves you summon, can go wipe the floor with everything else.

The above mentioned classic Ninja-Druid combo works a bit differently. The Ninja splash unlocks Search/Disable/Open Lock as class skills, thereby letting you max those out during your Druid levels, but you pay cross class cost. The Able Learner feat (from Races of Destiny iirc) lets you learn any skill at the cost of 1 skill/rank, thereby letting you max out Search/Disable/Open Lock normally. Ninja also lets you add your Wis bonus to AC when you are not wearing armor (e.g. when you wildshape). Which is why it is taken rather then Rogue.

Get reasonable Int (14 should do fine), combined with human skill bonus and Druids 4 skills/level, and you should be able to muster 7 skills/level in all. Use that to max out: Concentration, Spellcraft, Knowledge Nature, Search, Disable, Open Lock and something else useful (maybe Spot).

In which case you become a near-full-powered Druid who can do all the stuff I mentioned first, PLUS you can ake care of traps and locks.

And if you want to really start beaking the game, add Planar Shepherd on top of all that.