PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Barbarian?

Mystic Muse
2010-03-11, 04:00 PM
I want to make a Barbarian as I backup character. The only problem is that the Race I want to be (Minotaur) costs way too much for too little return. At least to me since I've never made a Barbarian. Although I bet at least a few people will back me up on that.

Can somebody make a suggestion for decent races? I want something that looks Intimidating Like a Minotaur. Not something ridiculous looking like an ogre.

Low LA/RHD is a plus. I'd be willing to accept up to 4 lost levels if need be.

my stats are as follows. This is before level up, race bonuses or anything like that. yes, I rolled well.

Any suggestions for feats or PRCs would also be appreciated. I've heard people mention Bear warrior before but I don't know. If you'd like to suggest a variant like Boar totem barbarian please explain why.

Eldariel
2010-03-11, 04:11 PM
Try Half-Minotaur. You can fluff it as a Minotaur (Half-Mino Anything is Large and Strong) with just +1 LA and no monstrous HD. It's from Dragon 313, but you can find all the relevant stats on Crystalkeep. You could also use Middle-Aged to good effect with those stats, tho of course it makes upping Str a bit slower. But you'd gain some really good mentals with that.

With those rolls, I'd definitely consider an Intimidator Tripper Barbarian with highish Charisma and Intelligence. Imperious Command + Intimidating Rage can be excellent (might want some Fighter-levels to get yourself covered feat-wise tho) as can the Int-derived feat chains (though you can skip them as desired via. Wolf Totem Barbarian).

But yeah, I suggest:
Half-Minotaur Human (refluffed as Minotaur)
17 Str
15 Dex
17 Con
13 Int
13 Wis
15 Cha

before Racials. Then you have the bonus feat (helps with the LA) and skills (nice for a Barbie). Middle-Aged should be a consideration and I'd probably go for it, frankly. That'd leave you at something like 20/14/18/12/16/16 with 1 LA to deal with. And some really nice stuff like Large size, Scent and free Track-feat.

Then just pick up Extra Rage, Power Attack, Intimidating Rage, Imperious Command, Shock Trooper, etc. at your earliest convenient and profit. The guide in my signature may be of benefit to thee.

Vulkan
2010-03-11, 04:18 PM
:smallsigh: Good sir I would recommend a classic half orc or Lizardfolk

PinkysBrain
2010-03-11, 04:24 PM
Goatfolk from MM3? 3 RDH +1 LA. Goatfolk Barbarian 1/Warblade 2/Frenzied Berserker 5/Warblade X?

Bearwarrior is hard to make work ... unless you want to be kung-fu bear.

Lion Totem barbarian is pretty much the only barbarian which exists anymore ... pounce is too good :)

Mystic Muse
2010-03-11, 04:29 PM
Gnoll flinds provide more return for the same price as goatfolk. plus I can get rid of the 2 LA as compared to the goatfolks 1 LA.

are there any good Barbarian prestige classes then?

and it doesn't look like Lion totem Barbarian gets pounce. at least from what I see in the SRD.:smallconfused:

Eldariel
2010-03-11, 04:30 PM
Frenzied Berserker, Runescarred Berserker, Bear Warrior, Frostrager, Fist of the Forests...there's a guide in my signature. It covers...all this and then some. And honestly, what's wrong with Half-Minotaur?

GenPol
2010-03-11, 04:31 PM
I would second the Half Minotaur, it is a great LA+1 template.

As for the barbarian, I would suggest the Lion Totem variant because it gives you the pounce ability, which allows you to make a full attack at the end of every charge, which is frankly ridicules.

EDIT: Ninja'd. And after checking the SRD, I don't see pounce either... How odd. I must be going crazy...:smalleek: I could have sworn the Lion Totem barb got pounce....

REEDIT: Oh, that's where it is.:smallredface:

Mystic Muse
2010-03-11, 04:31 PM
. And honestly, what's wrong with Half-Minotaur?

I need to find it.:smalltongue:

Eldariel
2010-03-11, 04:32 PM
I need to find it.:smalltongue:

Here (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Templates.pdf) or in Dragon 313. Probably easier to go with the "Here"-link.

PinkysBrain
2010-03-11, 04:33 PM
Gnoll flinds provide more return for the same price as goatfolk. plus I can get rid of the 2 LA as compared to the goatfolks 1 LA.
Didn't say you had buy off.

are there any good Barbarian prestige classes then?
IMO Frenzied Berserker == barbarian, everything else is a pale imitation.

and it doesn't look like Lion totem Barbarian gets pounce. at least from what I see in the SRD.:smallconfused:
It's an ACF in complete champion.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-11, 04:53 PM
Didn't say you had buy off.

Gnoll flind is still better.:smalltongue:

I think I'll be going with Half Minotaur. It's a very nice template.

PinkysBrain
2010-03-11, 05:00 PM
The favoured class for Flind makes it hard to level warblade ... which is an ideal combination with Frenzied Berserker (IHS to break frenzy).

Eldariel
2010-03-11, 05:05 PM
The favoured class for Flind makes it hard to level warblade ... which is an ideal combination with Frenzied Berserker (IHS to break frenzy).

That's questionable rules-wise (well, straight-up illegal by RAW; you may only take actions that involve attacking others to best of your ability...and IHS is not that). That said, Warblade is a nice combination with Barbarian anyways.

Though some Fighter-levels is a good idea to help you get into Frenzied Berserker. FB is quite feat-intensive. Also, plays nicely with the Intimidating Rage/Imperious Command plan. And then you need lots of resources to actually deal with the Reactive Frenzy. Of course, Runescarred Berserker is another, less resource-intensive means of making a kickass Barbarian.

zagan
2010-03-11, 05:20 PM
If you want Minotaur the version in Dragonlance is LA 0:
+4 str +2 dex -2 int -2 cha, Medium size, Natural armor +2, a Gore attack and a +2 bonus to some skill.

Hurlbut
2010-03-11, 05:29 PM
If you want Minotaur the version in Dragonlance is LA 0:
+4 str +2 dex -2 int -2 cha, Medium size, Natural armor +2, a Gore attack and a +2 bonus to some skill.Doesn't sound like it would be only LA +0 outside Dragonlance :smallconfused:

Evard
2010-03-11, 05:32 PM
I vote that you go Runescarred Berserker =] and for a bit of fun try to get a wizard for a cohort and play it where the cohort is using you (pretending to be your cohort though) as a mage slayer while he/she levels up (less mage competition :P)

edit

if you want to charge and have a full attack there is a feat called something to do with tigers that lets you charge and make full attacks with any light weapon you have, even twf works if both are light.

zagan
2010-03-11, 05:38 PM
Doesn't sound like it would be only LA +0 outside Dragonlance :smallconfused:

Compared the warforged or water orc it doesn't look that good to me.

Eldariel
2010-03-11, 05:45 PM
Compared the warforged or water orc it doesn't look that good to me.

It's still better than Water Orc; it's without the Wis-penalty, and with racial abilities instead of Light Sensitivity. The +2 NA is really what puts it over the edge; having 21 AC over 19 AC on level 1 is a huge deal. The issue being, of course, that it's not really good enough for LA +1 either. It falls somewhere between LA +0 and LA +1.

Easiest probably just to give it some extra penalty or negative ability that offsets the NA and call it a day. Though in higher powered game, it'd be alright as its abilities empower classes with inherently weaker class features.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-03-11, 05:55 PM
Doesn't sound like it would be only LA +0 outside Dragonlance :smallconfused:

Sure it would, those numbers balance out just fine. I'll even bet that some of the optimizers around here would say that it's a tad underpowered.

Edit: Ninja'd 3 times.

JGoldenberg
2010-03-11, 08:51 PM
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Minotaur,_Rockland_(3.5e_Race)

The Rockland Minotaur is an excellent choice, a homebrew race built to play a LA 0 Medium Minotaur and it works pretty well, I'm currently playing a Rockland Minotaur Fighter Level 3 named Galdar Orcsbane

Racial Traits

+2 Strength, −2 on a Mental Ability Score of choice: Rockland minotaurs are big and powerful. From youth, they focus on developing their brawn and instinct rather than schooling. Rockland minotaur arrogance can be offensive to other races.
Monstrous Humanoid
Medium: As Medium creatures, rockland minotaurs have no special bonuses or penalties.
Rockland minotaur base land speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision: 60 feet.
Natural Attack: A rockland minotaur may use his horns as natural weapons to make a gore attack, dealing Gore 1d6 points of piercing damage + 1 ½ × his Strength bonus. Optionally, if he attacks with a weapon as his primary attack, he may make a gore attack as a secondary attack (-5 penalty on the attack roll, ½ Strength bonus to damage).
Keen Senses: +2 racial bonus on Spot and Listen checks.
Weapon Proficiency: A rockland minotaur gains Simple Weapon Proficiency as well as Martial Weapon Proficiency (greataxe).
Bulky: Rockland minotaurs suffer a −2 penalty on Balance, Escape Artist and Tumble skill checks.
Automatic Languages: Common and Giant. Bonus Languages: Orc, Goblin, Terran.
Favored Class: Barbarian. A multiclass rockland minotaur's barbarian class levels do not count when determining whether he suffers an XP penalty for multiclassing.
Level Adjustment: +0.
Base Effective Character Level: 1st.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-11, 09:42 PM
What book is Runescarred berserker in?

Kylarra
2010-03-11, 09:43 PM
What book is Runescarred berserker in?
Unapproachable East.

Runestar
2010-03-12, 01:46 AM
If you want to use the half-minotaur, I would recommend you ignore the clause about adding the stat modifiers for becoming large. +12 str for +1LA is way overpowered, IMO.

My personal favourite is the goliath, though it is still pretty humanoid-looking.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-12, 01:49 AM
Is there any way to increase the size of my weapon? I want the size of it to be absolutely Ludicrous.

Eldariel
2010-03-12, 04:49 AM
Is there any way to increase the size of my weapon? I want the size of it to be absolutely Ludicrous.

Strongarm Bracers gets you Huge. Then there's...Titan Bloodline :smallsigh: It's ****ty, but gets you a Gargantuan Warhammer. Only Warhammer tho. So it's pretty bad. I suggest a Huge Fullblade, for example if you really just want a big stick. That's pretty big (Fullblade is a Large Bastard Sword; Huge Fullblade is effectively a Gargantuan Bastard Sword that can be wielded without penalties), and wieldable without penalties. Though costs you a feat.

a typical hero
2010-03-12, 05:06 AM
I'd recommend Dragonborn Water-Orc or Goliath as a race.

Goliath got Powerfull Build which let you count as one size bigger then you really are if it is in your favour. You can wield a large weapon with it, too.

mikej
2010-03-12, 05:13 AM
Originally Posted by a typical hero
I'd recommend Dragonborn Water-Orc or Goliath as a race.

Goliath got Powerfull Build which let you count as one size bigger then you really are if it is in your favour. You can wield a large weapon with it, too.

Why?

I think the OP has decide on Half-Minotaur and it's superior to those two mentioned. Unless it was per say an Half-Minotaur Goliath :smalleek:

Originally Posted by Kyuubi

I'm sure there was a psionic feat called "Hidden Talent" that gave you
one 1st lv power. Just take Expansion and enjoy the awesomeness.

a typical hero
2010-03-12, 05:22 AM
Why?

I think the OP has decide on Half-Minotaur and it's superior to those two mentioned. Unless it was per say an Half-Minotaur Goliath :smalleek:

Well, with Dragonborn Water-Orc he would get good melee-oriented ability-modifiers + Wings (or a breathweapon, or darksight).

It's always good to be able to fly without magic :smallsmile:

And Half-Minotaur Goliath, yeah. Could carry a huge weapon without magic.

Only problem is to get this past your DM :smallbiggrin:

Mystic Muse
2010-03-12, 05:38 AM
Well, I am using gnoll for the other half so there is at least a little drawback for a template that, among other goodies, makes my Light encumberance 3800 pounds and my push/Drag 24 tons. plus I want to look like a half wolf and don't know of any other race that works for that.

mikej
2010-03-12, 05:44 AM
Only problem is to get this past your DM :smallbiggrin:

Indeed

Yep, I was correct about that feat. It's Hidden Talent, page 67 of the XPH.

Soo Half-Minotaur+Strongarm Bracer /or Half-Minotaur Goliath

Base is Large ( Half-Minotaur )
Expanion for Huge
Either Powerfull Build/Strongarm Bracer for that Gargantuan ( Sizing ) Weapon
Weapon Material: Platinum/increases the damage dice of a weapon

Soo if I'm correct that's a Gargantuan weapon that's treated as Colossal for the damage. I was never good at doing the math for larger weapon damage dice.

plus I want to look like a half wolf

Wolf as you mean Hyena? That's basically what the typical Gnoll is. btw, Kyuubi, how is LA being taken care of in this game?

Mystic Muse
2010-03-12, 05:46 AM
That makes it 8d6 (it's in the SRD)

however, I suspect if I make my character huge he won't be able to fit into the dungeons.:smalltongue:

and LA buyoff is allowed. (Wolf, Hyena, they look similar enough for it to work)

a typical hero
2010-03-12, 08:23 AM
Weapon Material: Platinum/increases the damage dice of a weapon

Soo if I'm correct that's a Gargantuan weapon that's treated as Colossal for the damage. I was never good at doing the math for larger weapon damage dice.

Where can I find platinum? Tried to Look it up on crystalkeep but I failed hard :smallfrown:

Wings of Peace
2010-03-12, 02:49 PM
This is late to the game but I personally would recommend Darfellan. They're medium humanoids from Stormwrack with the Aquatic subtype. Along with some nifty stuff for swimming you also get a Bite Attack and access to the Scaled Horror prestige class making them excellent candidates for becoming Black Blood Cultists especially when combined with other feats and classes that grant additional natural weapons.

Nate the Snake
2010-03-12, 06:37 PM
plus I want to look like a half wolf and don't know of any other race that works for that.

Lupins from Dragon Compendium.

They may not be the best race for a barbarian, but they're the best race for looking like a wolf.

Darrin
2010-03-12, 06:52 PM
Where can I find platinum? Tried to Look it up on crystalkeep but I failed hard :smallfrown:

Magic of Faerun p. 179. Weapons made out of very heavy materials such as gold or platinum increases the damage die by a step... somewhat similar to a size increase. The increased weight means you have to spend Exotic Weapon Proficiency on it to wield it without penalty. (But if it's *already* an exotic weapon... well, you were going to get the feat anyway.)

KellKheraptis
2010-03-12, 09:16 PM
Just a couple off the top of my head :
Barb 1 (Lion Totem)/Fighter 2/Ranger 2/Revenant Blade 5/Frenzied Berserker 10

Barbarian 6 (Lion Totem)/Champion of Gwyn 10/Barbarian +4

First one is offensive based, turning things into salsa with a Valenar Double Scimitar, second is more defensive, getting all the perks of a Barb 20, plus spellcasting for self-buffing, energy resistance, and other nice perks. Also a lot more party friendly, and can use the Imperious Command trick to shut down enemies before leaping on them with a spiked chain of death.