PDA

View Full Version : Madness Domain

Vikazc
2010-03-11, 05:35 PM
I've come across two different version of the Madness Domain and can' tell which one is actually correct, was hoping for some guidance.

Complete Divine and Spell Compendium list the madness domain as (from WotC online excerpt) with domain spells listed.

Madness Domain

Core Deities: Erythnul, Vecna.
Other Deities: Tharizdun.
Granted Power: Your insanity gives you insight. You subtract 1 from all Wisdom-based skill checks and all Will saves. However, once per day, you can see and act with the clarity of true madness: Add one-half your level to a single Wisdom-based skill check or Will save. You must choose to use this benefit before the check or save is rolled.

-------------------------------------------------------

The SRD lists it under additional domains with the same spell list, but this information in addition.

Madness Domain
Granted Power

The character gains an Insanity score equal to half his or her class level. For spellcasting (determining bonus spells and DCs), the character uses his or her Wisdom score plus his or her Insanity score in place of Wisdom alone.

For all other purposes, such as skills and saves, use Wisdom minus Insanity in place of Wisdom.

Once per day, the character can see and act with the clarity of true madness. Use the character’s Insanity score as a positive rather than a negative modifier on a single roll involving Wisdom. Choose to use this power before the roll is made.

-----------------------------------------------

I can't find any errata specifying which is which, any help would be appreciated.

Ranos
2010-03-11, 05:38 PM
I'm guessing the latest source trumps the previous ones. Shame, that SRD madness domain looks pretty tasty.

DragoonWraith
2010-03-11, 05:39 PM
I think the latter is from Unearthed Arcana, with their optional Sanity rules. Games where Sanity is not being used (most) shouldn't have that, so use the other one.

If Sanity is in play, I don't see any particular reason both can't be available. "More than one Domain of the same name? That's madness!" you say?

Well, yes, yes it is.

The_Snark
2010-03-11, 05:40 PM
The version in the SRD is taken from the OGL parts of Deities and Demigods, a 3.0 source. The Complete Divine version is the 3.5 update, and supersedes the older version. The Spell Compendium version is the latest, and if there are any changes between it and the Complete Divine version than it takes precedence, but as far as I know it's just a reprint.

Vikazc
2010-03-11, 05:49 PM
Dang, I really liked the idea of a crazy cleric who had weaker will saves and defenses but more spells, such is life!

DementedFellow
2010-03-11, 05:51 PM
In all fairness, you really just have to convince your DM to let it in. I don't think many DMs would really fight you on it.

Vikazc
2010-03-11, 05:53 PM
My DM is fairly reasonable about things that are powerful as he knows Ill hinder my own self to stay under control, but hes a real stickler for the exact rules as written. So not likely sadly.