PDA

View Full Version : 1000 Blade Swordsman

Demons_eye
2010-03-11, 06:03 PM
I saw an anime a short time ago but something that caught my eye was a swordsman that used many swords by scattering them around the field. He would use them for mobility, strange attacks, and battle field control.

Cut to last week when I had an idea that I remembered thanks to the Spell storing net thread. The Idea is a guy who scatters a lot of swords around that are spell storing with random or well placed spell in them. He then uses them to cast spells, dropping one to grab another.

Things I need help with:
Class choice: Scout? Some thing with pounce maybe, mobile and defensive.
Level I can do this: What level can I have a few dozen swords a spell storing?
Stop people: How do I stop people from stealing my weapons?

AslanCross
2010-03-11, 06:32 PM
1. If it's an anime-based concept, you're really best off using Tome of Battle and multiclassing. Either Swordsage or Warblade would work, though Swordsage has its mobility enhancing boosts.

2. Spell Storing is a +1 enhancement. Each +1 spell storing weapon is going to cost you 8300+ base weapon cost. Wealth by Level at lv 5 is 9000.

3. That's tricky. You can trap them (DMG2), or you could just have them all on your person instead, using various extra-dimensional storages such as the Cloak of Weaponry, Efficient Quiver (which CAN keep non-arrow items), etc.

At least that way, if you have Quick Draw, you can pull them out without any problems as opposed to having to spend a move action to jump to your intended sword and then another move action to pick it up.

EDIT: You will still need a caster to actually store the spells once you use them up.

Boci
2010-03-11, 07:14 PM
Things I need help with:

Duskblade for arcane channeling? Maybe psionic warrior?

This really sounds like a late teen concept. There is no cheap way to do this.

Master slaying? BoVD also has some mundane traps for weapons.

Some things to consider:
1. Artificer, since you're build is very gear dependant.
2. The ability to fly and then flyby attack. Works well in conjunction with a three level dip as a duskblade. Should also make your weapons harder to steal if you can have them floating 20ft in the air.

Evard
2010-03-11, 07:20 PM
Best bet is to homebrew a class that can channel spells threw swords that he/she owns. Give the class a specific spell list and X number uses per dayto use threw swords.

Prime32
2010-03-11, 07:24 PM
What's to stop enemies from taking the swords and using them against him?

lsfreak
2010-03-11, 07:26 PM
I'm going to go with 'scattering weapons around a battlefield is an incredibly stupid plan, and only worked because it was anime.' How often are you going to know of a battlefield ahead of time, and if you do, why not set up some actual traps?

I'm going to say roll a duskblade. They can channel their spells through their attacks. If you want to keep the concept, take Quick Draw and keep a dozen different weapons on you, only using certain spells with certain weapons.

Boci
2010-03-11, 07:34 PM
I'm going to go with 'scattering weapons around a battlefield is an incredibly stupid plan, and only worked because it was anime.'

With the monsters of D&D, it doesn't seem all that much more stupid than playing an unarmed swordsage. Really? You want to punch the ooze?

How often are you going to know of a battlefield ahead of time, and if you do, why not set up some actual traps?

I think the idea is to start combat by using some wacky ability to scatter weapons across the battle field. I can think of a few, such as dispelling a back of holding after it has been teleported high into the air. I am sure if I try harder I can think of a more efficient way of doing that.

The problem did not escape the OP. Read the last line of his post.

Demons_eye
2010-03-11, 07:42 PM
EDIT: You will still need a caster to actually store the spells once you use them up.

Cohort

Best bet is to homebrew a class that can channel spells threw swords that he/she owns. Give the class a specific spell list and X number uses per dayto use threw swords.

Trying to find RAW answer before homebrew

The same thing that stops them from stealing it

I'm going to go with 'scattering weapons around a battlefield is an incredibly stupid plan, and only worked because it was anime.' How often are you going to know of a battlefield ahead of time, and if you do, why not set up some actual traps?

He just threw them in the air and they landed in the ground. He would attack toss it and pick up a weapon. Maybe stupid but looked awesome and that's what I am aiming for. Imagine slashing into an opponent as a spell goes off and switching for a new one. Like people in the old days using three guns because reload time was a bitch.

I'm going to say roll a duskblade. They can channel their spells through their attacks. If you want to keep the concept, take Quick Draw and keep a dozen different weapons on you, only using certain spells with certain weapons.

Limited spell list so rather not use it.

Thanks everyone so far, I am really liking the fly by attack thing.

Admiral Squish
2010-03-11, 07:49 PM
So, is this Archer? Or Ichigo in that training thing?

Really, this is a bad plan. I'm sorry to say, but it costs way too much money, and is not nearly effective enough to be worth it.

I MIGHT be able to see a few strategically placed weapons of spell storing being involved in like, a BBEG battle. That could be fun. But as a player concept, no. Sorry, but no. There is simply no way to make it practical.

Boci
2010-03-11, 07:49 PM
Cohort

I strongly suggest swapping the wizard for an artificer. They can help with making weapons available earlier and has some infusions to make spell storing weapons on the spot.

Thanks everyone so far, I am really liking the fly by attack thing.

The raproian race from Races of the Wild grants flight, as does the angelic wings graft from some eberron book if you do not mind being evil. Now we just need to find a way to get weapons to levitate in the air.

Thurbane
2010-03-11, 07:55 PM
Saw an awesome movie a few yars back called Zipang!, and the swordmaster in that had a "golf caddy" who carried around bundles of sword for him to use in combat. Struck me as a cool idea for a character, a little similar to what the OP is trying to do.

FinalJustice
2010-03-11, 08:02 PM
You can refluff a Bloodstorm Blade. No, really, bear with me here.

You want, basically, to throw a lot of swords on the battlefield and attack with them. Do some mobility and Battlefield Control. A Bloodstorm Blade/Master Thrower can attack with swords at a huge distance, as touch attacks and even, if I recall correctly, have a class feature ability that allows them to attack everyone in reach, Blood Rain.

Have a main weapon as every other guy in D&D and buy a metric ton of masterwork swords. Then it's just description. Instead of whacking every guy in reach throwing your main sword, you describe Blood Rain as your character flinging multiple swords in the air. Then you always open with it. Fluff the touch attack from Master Thrower as a technique of surprising your enemy by never letting him know which sword is coming at him. Fluff the Bloodstorm Ricochet as your character himself going back and forth, picking swords and attacking, etc...

And yes, it is awesome, don't let naysayers delude you into otherwise.

(No I have not seen the anime his idea is suposedly from. :P)

Rainbownaga
2010-03-11, 10:23 PM
Rather than scattering them and taking AoO's, why not just do it matrix style?

Sword fighters tend to have huge strength scores (even with the overweighted nature of swords), and as previously mentioned, the spellstoring weapons might make this feasable.

Throw your first sword away and (just as your oponents start to smile) Open up your jacket to reveal an entire armoury. Bonus points if you vary the number and style.

Just remember to take quickdraw.

Crow
2010-03-11, 10:26 PM
(even with the overweighted nature of swords)

I'm confused. What?

Rainbownaga
2010-03-11, 10:36 PM
I'm confused. What?

As in swords having higher weights than their real life counterparts. Sorry for the poor grammar.

ashmanonar
2010-03-11, 10:39 PM
I'm confused. What?

Real historical swords are always lighter than most of the incarnations of D & D make them out to be.

HunterOfJello
2010-03-11, 11:20 PM
anime may have been Soul Eater

Swordsage has a stance called Step of the Dancing Moth which allows you to walk on air 5 feet above the ground at a speed of 20 feet. It's a 5th level Maneuver though, so you'd have to be pretty high level to grab it.

Poison_Fish
2010-03-11, 11:28 PM
Sounds like soul eater to me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEBoLY682fg).

HunterOfJello
2010-03-11, 11:37 PM
Sounds like soul eater to me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEBoLY682fg).

Yuuup. Mifune is pretty badass. I like Black Star's character development better in the manga though, especially in relation to his father.

Boci
2010-03-11, 11:42 PM
Swordsage has a stance called Step of the Dancing Moth which allows you to walk on air 5 feet above the ground at a speed of 20 feet. It's a 5th level Maneuver though, so you'd have to be pretty high level to grab it.

With an artificer cohort, I'd go raptorian / warblade personally. Fly by attack will allow you to move, initiative maneuver and move. Just end your turn next to a new spell storing weapon and ask your DM to allow to pick them up with a free action with the quick draw feat.
As far as spreading the weapons out, could bundle them together along with some minor explosion (that does not deal enough damage to overcome the weapons hardness) to scatter them, or some form of a horde of unseen servants. Getting them to stay in the air however is a bit harder.
Yeah, this build is impossible without some co-operation from the DM, but the main aspects can be RAW.

Crow
2010-03-12, 12:14 AM
As in swords having higher weights than their real life counterparts. Sorry for the poor grammar.

Real historical swords are always lighter than most of the incarnations of D & D make them out to be.

Yes I know, it was the grammar that threw me off.

The heavy sword stereotype always strikes a nerve in my metallurgy background, so I was getting clarification before I unleashed some nerd-rage.

Zephyros
2010-03-12, 01:39 AM
You gave me an idea.. For a ToB gish utilizing Legion of Sentinels and Cloud of Knives (with Spell Thematics: Thrown Swords :smallcool: ) while using some sort of shadow-pounce and/or one of the hovering stances.

If you are playing in a medium optimized group you can also throw in some Master of the Unseen Hand and go to town.

Baffle your opponents with your brilliance AND riddle them with Thrown Katanas!:smallcool:

2xMachina
2010-03-12, 05:25 AM
You can refluff a Bloodstorm Blade. No, really, bear with me here.

You want, basically, to throw a lot of swords on the battlefield and attack with them. Do some mobility and Battlefield Control. A Bloodstorm Blade/Master Thrower can attack with swords at a huge distance, as touch attacks and even, if I recall correctly, have a class feature ability that allows them to attack everyone in reach, Blood Rain.

Have a main weapon as every other guy in D&D and buy a metric ton of masterwork swords. Then it's just description. Instead of whacking every guy in reach throwing your main sword, you describe Blood Rain as your character flinging multiple swords in the air. Then you always open with it. Fluff the touch attack from Master Thrower as a technique of surprising your enemy by never letting him know which sword is coming at him. Fluff the Bloodstorm Ricochet as your character himself going back and forth, picking swords and attacking, etc...

And yes, it is awesome, don't let naysayers delude you into otherwise.

(No I have not seen the anime his idea is suposedly from. :P)

Not within range. As many target you wish.. I suppose LoE is needed, but really, you can attack the entire world in 1 round if you just have LoE. With the Touch AC through Master Thrower, you can expect to hit at pretty high range.

Also, UNLIMITED BLADE WORKS!!! Wonder if there is a stat block for Archer.

The Random NPC
2010-03-14, 07:26 AM
If you still scatter the weapons around, I believe there is an enchantment that causes the weapon to attack the wielder. There is also the spell Backbiter, that does the same thing. I'll try to find them both.
Edit: Backbiter is in the Spell Compendium only works once per casting, first lvl spell.
Edit the second: Masterslaying in the BoVD, +1 ability, attacks wielder and auto-crits. 3.0e may put a damper on your plans though.

gallagher
2010-03-14, 01:44 PM
I saw an anime a short time ago but something that caught my eye was a swordsman that used many swords by scattering them around the field. He would use them for mobility, strange attacks, and battle field control.

Cut to last week when I had an idea that I remembered thanks to the Spell storing net thread. The Idea is a guy who scatters a lot of swords around that are spell storing with random or well placed spell in them. He then uses them to cast spells, dropping one to grab another.

Things I need help with:
Honestly, I would go with warblade, take the throw anything feat, and get a million spell storing arrows

AmberVael
2010-03-14, 02:01 PM
I recommend Fax's Homebrew Daggerveil PrC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38671). Seriously, just reflavor it a little and it is perfect.

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-03-14, 03:38 PM
If you had throw anything and used arrows could you get them sized up? Arrows for a medium creature are what; tiny? So arrows for a gargantuan creature would be large weapons the size of polearms and take two hands to throw? Would it work that way or would you take penalties for wielding oversized weapons? I'd think not since it's still of a size a human could throw and it's awkward ness is negated by throw anything.

BloodstormBlade 1 grant throw anything BTW.

boomwolf
2010-03-14, 04:07 PM
Efficient Quiver (which CAN keep non-arrow items), etc.

That ma be true, but is Spell Storing forbidden from ammo by how it is written? if not then you got 50 time the spell storing in the same cost.

And I'm not sure you need to worry about people stealing your spells. they have no idea what weapon has what spell.

Demons_eye
2010-03-14, 04:17 PM
That ma be true, but is Spell Storing forbidden from ammo by how it is written? if not then you got 50 time the spell storing in the same cost.

And I'm not sure you need to worry about people stealing your spells. they have no idea what weapon has what spell.

Spell storing as a ranged weapon enchantment is debated from what I can tell. I am not worried about them stealing my spells but more so of them stealing my swords.

Pluto
2010-03-14, 04:39 PM
This idea vexes me. :smallconfused:

To make this build make sense at low levels, I'd probably use Feat Rogue as a base, maybe with a Marshal level for Motivate Combatfulness.

Invest skill points in mobility skills. Carry a bunch of different kinds of weapons and feats appropriate to all of them.

(So a golf bad of Guisarmes and Nets and Ranseurs and Quarterstaves and Kukris and shields with feats like Improved Disarm/Improved Trip/Two-Weapon Fighting, etc.)

And Quickdraw.

Definitely Quickdraw.

Later, a level-dip into Master of Masks can let you use any weapon, exotic or not. Proficiency problems can discourage enemies from stealing them.

After that, Chameleon's floating feat, item crafting, universal spell-access can keep this working well toward the higher levels.

So could look something like:
Feat Rogue 1/Marshal 1/Feat Rogue 3/Master of Masks 1/Chameleon 7/Master of Masks 7

-------------------
Also, for some reason, I really want to use a Githyanki Arcane Duelist/Master of the Unseen Hand with Trickery devotion for this. But I don't think that's not what you're looking for.

AslanCross
2010-03-14, 05:35 PM

They don't have to know. Wielding a Spell Storing weapon automatically tells you what spell is in it. Besides, if the guy intended to kill hit or kill you with the spell, it's probably a nasty surprise for anyone on the receiving end.

Yukitsu
2010-03-14, 06:22 PM

I did that once with a bloodstorm blade.

I kept hundreds of tiny imps with swords in a bag, and scattered it about at the start of battle. I'd sunder them all in a round using blood rain, and with combat brute, managed many, many attacks concentrated against a single target with his throwing scythe. My DM banned it on the spot. :smalltongue: