PDA

View Full Version : Best Domains

waterpenguin43
2010-03-11, 08:45 PM
Out of Curiosity, what Domains have you all found to be the best? This coming from a v3.5 player, so if any other versions have cool domains I can't use them. Sorry.

Swordgleam
2010-03-11, 08:53 PM
I had a lot of fun with a cleric of Healing and Destruction. It was a blast smiting my enemies and helping my allies. I'm no optimizer, though.

JaronK
2010-03-11, 08:54 PM
Celerity, Time, Planning, Undeath, Trickery, and Animal all have some amazing abilities or spells in them.

JaronK

deuxhero
2010-03-11, 08:55 PM
I thought healing was one of the worst domains.

Depends on your build type and clositered/vanilla.

Amphetryon
2010-03-11, 08:56 PM
Travel Domain is fairly awesome. The Oracle Domain is great with a good DM - though lousy with a bad one.

I like Mind Domain as well.

Eurus
2010-03-11, 09:00 PM
I'll second Travel (great spells and a great power!). Magic is fun too. And I've actually always had fun with Domination.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-03-11, 09:01 PM
I always wanted to play a Pirate Cleric - Travel and Trickery. Disguise Self, Invisibility, Fly, Dimension Door, Confusion... plus you get Free Action (1 round per level per day, but that's about as much as you'll need anyway), and nifty class skills.

waterpenguin43
2010-03-11, 09:04 PM

It has the best power and worst spell list for good clerics, in my opinion. It's best if you're only getting a few Cleric levels. Also (and it ISN'T just my personal prejudice here!!), I've found Water, Ocean, Mind, Animal and Oracle quite useful.

Swordgleam
2010-03-11, 09:06 PM

It could be. Like I said, I'm no optimizer. But it worked for my character concept.

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-11, 09:12 PM
Celerity, Time, Planning, Undeath, Trickery, and Animal all have some amazing abilities or spells in them.

JaronK

+1
Also, travel can be very nice in core only. In non-core I always go with war just to get into ordained champion, which is too awesome not to use.

JaronK
2010-03-11, 09:18 PM
Healing is decent with Radiant Servant of Pelor and the Domain Sponteneity ACF. Otherwise... meh. And yeah, Travel's got some kick.

JaronK

Curmudgeon
2010-03-11, 09:20 PM
Knowledge Devotion (for Cloistered Clerics) and Travel Devotion (for melee Clerics) are great, so you'll want to start with Knowledge and Travel domains. Pride is nifty if you're worried about making your saves since you get to reroll all 1s on a saving throw, once per die.

Mushroom Ninja
2010-03-11, 09:28 PM
Travel is crazyfun with domain spontaneity.

Amphetryon
2010-03-11, 09:40 PM
Knowledge Devotion (for Cloistered Clerics) and Travel Devotion (for melee Clerics) are great, so you'll want to start with Knowledge and Travel domains. Pride is nifty if you're worried about making your saves since you get to reroll all 1s on a saving throw, once per die.
If I'm measuring by the Devotion metric, I'd put Animal Domain up fairly high. I find the Animal Devotion feat pretty tasty.

Starscream
2010-03-11, 09:54 PM
I'd like to nominate the Ooze domain for general funtasticness. Oops, it seems your army of skeletons just ran into my army of oozes. I'm sure you can make more.

Slime and Thirst domain have the same fun power, but I think Ooze has the best spells. No way an ooze-themed cleric should be without Slime Wave and Ooze Puppet.

Jack_Simth
2010-03-11, 10:19 PM
Pride is up there in use, I think, although that's very campaign dependent, as it kinda requires your DM use a lot of "save or" effects to make effective use of it.

But yeah - Travel rocks, Trickery rocks, Magic is also very useful (more so if you don't have a Wizard or Sorcerer in the party).

denthor
2010-03-11, 10:28 PM
The best ones for me where a Baccob priest I had trickery/ magic

the first one was for invisibility magic game me a free identify off of the holy symbol.

if you run a Pelor cleric I recommend Sun/ strength

This blasts undead/ strength gives you a once a day strength bonus equal to your level.

nargbop
2010-03-11, 11:34 PM
If you are a Spellguard of Silverymoon or have some other method of giving your friends Personal buffs, then the Mysticism domain is for you.