PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Class thought

Evard
2010-03-11, 10:09 PM
If you could turn any prestige class into a basic class which would you choose and how would you tweek it? I'm thinking of running a game for a few sessions (no more than ten) and a friend asked me to think this over lol.

These class only need to be around 10 levels ( I know some are different levels) since they won't get passed that.

example of a prestige class tweeked...

Horizon Walker
Gains fighter's weapon and armor prof (the tweek)
skills, hd, skill points are as is

A simple 10 level class

Bibliomancer
2010-03-11, 10:13 PM
Dwarven Defender would be rather good as a base class (NPC-only, magic carpet not included), without any adjustments (except perhaps delaying access to improved uncanny dodge etc.).

Alternatively, the mystic theurge could be made into a base class, assuming it loses 1 or 2 caster levels from each side over the course of ten levels (this would reduce it's weakness in mid-level play).

Crow
2010-03-11, 10:14 PM
Assassin could make a decent base class.

Evard
2010-03-11, 10:18 PM
a base class mystic theurge would be nice to see kind of a red mage of dnd :D

How would you do their spells, which progression and type of casting?

Starscream
2010-03-11, 10:51 PM
Blackguard. Half of them are paladins who only started that way so they could fall and trade most of their levels in anyway. Why not just start out that way?

Pretty sure it's been homebrewed before, probably multiple times.

Oh, and the only way to make a Soulknife any good is to go Soulbow, so I'd just combine the two into a single base class to begin with.

Mongoose87
2010-03-11, 11:02 PM
I'd like to see the Arcane Archer become something more along the lines of the archery version of a Duskblade.

Boci
2010-03-11, 11:08 PM
Blackguard. Half of them are paladins who only started that way so they could fall and trade most of their levels in anyway. Why not just start out that way?

Unearthed Arcane has at least 1 paladin variant for each aligment. You can find them on crystalkeep.com.

Assassin could make a decent base class.

Drows of the Underdark allows a rogue to swap trapfinding for poison use. Then its just a matter of toneing the rogue's skills and non-SA class features in return for limited spellcasting.

John Campbell
2010-03-11, 11:51 PM
Eldritch Knight. Give it all simple and martial but no armor/shield proficiencies, give the choice of Wizard or Sorcerer casting, extend it another 10 levels, and it's good to go. Maybe lose a caster level for a fighter feat again at 11.

All of the prestige classes designed to half-ass patch over 3.x having broken multiclassing are good candidates for this, in fact.

Boci
2010-03-11, 11:54 PM
Eldritch Knight. Give it all simple and martial but no armor/shield proficiencies, give the choice of Wizard or Sorcerer casting, extend it another 10 levels, and it's good to go. Maybe lose a caster level for a fighter feat again at 11.

IT would need to have its casting nerfed though. Battle sorceror or duskblade not quite what you're looking for?