PDA

View Full Version : Dungeoneer: Brainstorming

Rauthiss
2010-03-11, 11:58 PM
Disclaimer: This may belong in the homebrew forums. If so, Please move it.

Hello, Denizens of the Roleplaying Games Forum!

I'm planning on Homebrewing a skill monkey class, and I've decided I want to make a dungeoneer class. I have a few basics down: Trapfinding, mainly. However, I'm a bit lost on other class abilities. So I decided I'd come to you all and ask - If you were playing a strictly dungeon crawling character, what would you want?

Ideally, I'd like abilities that distance the character from the factotum or rogue. While a factotum is mainly int based and the rogue is quick and sneaky, I'm thinking I'd like a class that matches an old, gruff explorer type. Think the kind of class a dwarf would take.

Thank you all for your input and help; I'll be sure to give those who created any abilities I use credit. :3

Potential Abilities/Abilities I like:
Trapfinding
Mettle
Improved mettle
Secret Door Sense (As elf)

FlamingKobold
2010-03-12, 12:14 AM
It should have abilities that reflect that it is experienced at what it does and knows what's up. As for specific abilities, things like uncanny dodge, trapsense, and evasion. These don't differentiate it very much, so then you need to get creative. Things like know direction, arcane lock, and other supernatural abilities might be good. In fact, you could have things like know direction be Ex abilities. However... A lot of cool things you might want to do are kind of taken up by the factotum. Things like giving yourself extra actions would be fun, as would rerolls. Rerolls because a lot of the time, falling down that pit/making the check/winning this turn is the differencce between life and death.

I think a cool mechanic would be to let them get bonuses based off of a skill like knowledge (dungeoneering). Unfortunately that makes them int-based like a factotum.

Zaq
2010-03-12, 12:26 AM
Give them something fun to do with the surrounding terrain, and don't limit it to just dungeons. I'm thinking something like the Geomancer from Final Fantasy Tactics, only maybe not so extreme. But you know, if the enemy is on stone, you can do P. If the dungeoneer is next to a wall, you can do Q. If both the dungeoneer and the enemy are on ground at least as soft as sod, you can do R. If either the enemy or the dungeoneer is within 10 feet of a body of water big enough to fit in, you can do S. Stuff like that. Make it as supernatural or as extraordinary as you see fit.