PDA

View Full Version : Inventive uses for a bad feat

Occasional Sage
2010-03-12, 01:03 AM
I'm looking at Spell Focus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#spellFocus): Conjuration and I can't find a single good use of it for a Divine caster. The closest I can get to justifying anybody taking it is that their particular campaign is undead-heavy and they want to bolster their Cure Various Wounds spells for damage purposes.

Ya'll Playgrounders are inventive. What would you do to make it worth a used fig?

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-03-12, 01:16 AM
It's a prerequisite for Augment Summoning, which is very handy for a summoning type like a Druid.

Off the top of my head Grease, Glitterdust, Stinking Cloud, and Cloudkill all allow saves. Some of the Orb of X spells from CArc do as well... There are many others that I can't think of without being unlazy and looking them up.

It's a prerequisite to be a Master Conjurer (CMage), which has a very nice capstone.

It can help you qualify for Archmage.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-03-12, 01:19 AM
Aggressive use of teleport spells through spectral hand?

Occasional Sage
2010-03-12, 01:20 AM
It's a prerequisite for Augment Summoning, which is very handy for a summoning type like a Druid.

Off the top of my head Grease, Glitterdust, Stinking Cloud, and Cloudkill all allow saves. Some of the Orb of X spells from CArc do as well... There are many others that I can't think of without being unlazy and looking them up.

It's a prerequisite to be a Master Conjurer (CMage), which has a very nice capstone.

It can help you qualify for Archmage.

Oo, sorry, forgot to mention that I'm looking at Divine casters, not Arcane. I've fixed that in the first post, now.

As a prereq sure, but is it just placeholder?

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-03-12, 01:31 AM
Oo, sorry, forgot to mention that I'm looking at Divine casters, not Arcane.

As a prereq sure, but is it just placeholder?Well... it's not a bad feat just because some classes don't get much use out of it. Any conjuration-focused arcanist is going to enjoy that feat even if it serves no use as a prerequisite for their feat/class progression.

In any event, an Archivist likely has access to most of these spells one way or another.

taltamir
2010-03-12, 01:44 AM
don't clerics also have orb of X line? it gives you a +1 to the DC to the save that comes with the orb (not against the damage, but against the additional effect)

Kelb_Panthera
2010-03-12, 01:52 AM
I still think it would be fun to make aggressive use of teleport spells :smalltongue:

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-03-12, 02:12 AM
I still think it would be fun to make aggressive use of teleport spells :smalltongue:Which reminds me, Plane Shift.

Edit: The Orb spells are sorc/wiz only according to Spell Compendium.

taltamir
2010-03-12, 02:28 AM
I still think it would be fun to make aggressive use of teleport spells :smalltongue:

i don't understand. you cannot teleport a non willing creature and the +1 cl isn't that awesome for teleport.

Malificus
2010-03-12, 02:32 AM
i don't understand. you cannot teleport a non willing creature and the +1 cl isn't that awesome for teleport.

Can you teleport a willing target to someplace other than what they wanted?

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-03-12, 02:32 AM
i don't understand. you cannot teleport a non willing creature and the +1 cl isn't that awesome for teleport.Technically if you teleport an object it gets a will save. Also I think you mean +1 to DC, since spell focus doesn't add caster level.

ZeroNumerous
2010-03-12, 02:34 AM

Baleful Transportation and Plane Shift (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/planeShift.htm).

Kelb_Panthera
2010-03-12, 02:35 AM
you can't teleport unwilling creatures, but you can teleport objects whether their owner likes it or not. They do get a will save though.

taltamir
2010-03-12, 02:42 AM
Baleful Transportation and Plane Shift (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/planeShift.htm).

ah. nice exceptions to the rule.

you can't teleport unwilling creatures, but you can teleport objects whether their owner likes it or not. They do get a will save though.

good idea also

Technically if you teleport an object it gets a will save. Also I think you mean +1 to DC, since spell focus doesn't add caster level.

thanks for the correction

Can you teleport a willing target to someplace other than what they wanted?

Wow... good question. I think so.

Sliver
2010-03-12, 02:54 AM
don't clerics also have orb of X line?

No. 10chars

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-03-12, 02:56 AM
I am pretty much the master ninja of this thread.

Darrin
2010-03-12, 08:13 AM

You can get Augment Summoning without Spell Focus (Conjuration) with the Planar Touchstone Feat, linking to the Catalogues of Enlightenment and picking up the Dragon Below domain.

Optimystik
2010-03-12, 08:59 AM
In core, there aren't many directly offensive conjuration options for divine casters. However, if you're killing undead, all the cure spells in the SRD are Conjuration, Will half. Heal especially can put the kibosh on nasty customers like Vampires.

Outside core, SF (Conj) becomes more useful for divine casters, due to spells like Cometfall and Deific Vengeance.

Penitent
2010-03-12, 10:14 AM
Most Druid Battlefield Controls are Conjuration based.

You conjure a whirlstorm, a tsunami, a falling tree, a wall of brambles, vines to ensnare people, ect.

At every level, a Druid can be throwing around conjurations with saves that are worth the +1, to the extent that it's ever worth a +1, and since they are druids, they might have needed that +1 to get to Augment summoning.

Telonius
2010-03-12, 10:29 AM
The wording of Word of Recall suggests that it could be used to teleport an item held by the target creature back to the sanctum. Doing this would be blocked by a Will save. So, if you're a Cleric of Olidammara ...

Toliudar
2010-03-12, 11:27 AM
There's also Deific Vengeance (from Spell Compendium), and the trapping function of Wall of Stone... For any caster except the partial caster types like Ranger and Paladin (for whom any feat focusing on their casting is probably suboptimal), Spell Focus Conjuration probably has its uses. Maybe not the strongest choice, but...well, better than Run.