PDA

View Full Version : Break In The Door And Hit Them With It

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-03-12, 01:37 AM
Ok, I'm preparing a character who is not easily to rattle, but if you are, say, the type of creature that killed his family, he will go insane, grab the heaviest thing he can find and start beating it to death.

He is a Ranger 1/Barbarian 11, with a Strength of 19 (25 when he rages).

He has Destructive Rage, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (improvised weapon) and Power Attack as main feats.

So when he rages his light load is up to 230 lbs. With this, what is the largest improvised weapon he can hit with and how would you calculate the damage it can do?

I'm just waiting for him to lift the wagon and start swinging.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-03-12, 01:48 AM
I have to question the legality of exotic weapon proficiency (improvised weapon). I've always ruled that a player can pick EWP for a single improv weapon EG: ewp (chair) or ewp (beer stein). Anyway, I'm pretty sure Complete warrior and the DMG cover the rules for improv weapons pretty well.

taltamir
2010-03-12, 01:48 AM
while exotic weapon (improved weapon) is not technically RAW (you must choose individual weapons, such as chair, spoon, etc), it is definitely rule of cool and mitigates the biggest issue with hitting people with random stuff.

the only problem he has is:
1. You cannot wield a weapon more than 1 size category too large. (also, carts weigh quit a lot).
2. you take a penalty of -2 to damage for each size the item is too big.

basically he should be considered as using a greatclub that is oversized with many items.
neat character.

Grynning
2010-03-12, 01:52 AM
I have to question the legality of exotic weapon proficiency (improvised weapon). I've always ruled that a player can pick EWP for a single improv weapon EG: ewp (chair) or ewp (beer stein). Anyway, I'm pretty sure Complete warrior and the DMG cover the rules for improv weapons pretty well.

It could be houseruled. It's not as if it's really a big boost to combat effectiveness. You can also gain proficiency with any improvised weapon via a dip into Drunken Master (not sure of any other way by RAW).

The real problem is in weapon size. Even if you're proficient with an improvised weapon, if it's larger than a medium sized two-handed weapon, you can't wield it without powerful build or (god forbid) monkey grip. You'd have to talk your DM into something like the equivalent of the Hulking Hurler's "Really throw anything" ability, except applied to melee.

Edit: Tal is a ninja!

Everyman
2010-03-12, 08:50 AM
If I remember correctly, Comp. Warrior has rules on improvised weapons in the back. Mostly, how to calculate damage and damage type. You can kinda tell it was put in for the Hulking Hurlers and Drunken Masters, but it should work well for you too.

As far as an actual object, I'm inclinded to say...oh...200 lb ten-foot pole.