2010-03-12, 02:18 AM
New comic is up.

RMS Oceanic
2010-03-12, 02:19 AM
Tee hee!

This is why you pay attention.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-03-12, 02:21 AM
It was nice to be reminded of those Misspelled bonus comics.

Also, the former leaders of the other Resistance factions just look cool when they're striking people who aren't each other.

Bernemer
2010-03-12, 02:22 AM
Very nice "Clerks" reference in the title... And "Dancing Knights"? Well, liked that one as well, but "Dancing Nights" with a "Saturday Night Fever" pun may have been an even funnier option... :smallsmile:

TheGrimace
2010-03-12, 02:23 AM
Wow, talk about an over achiever.

Dancing knights has to be of a spell level notably greater than zero.

I guess it could just be a silent image, but I like to think that it fabricated the tutus almost instantaneously!

Thant
Dancing knights! :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: ah, pure epic...:smallsmile:

Starscream
Love the title, and the last panel is awesome.

Also, I'm totally making that an official cantrip in my games.

Deca
2010-03-12, 02:27 AM
Ha! Thats what you get for mispronouncing spell names.

Draz74
2010-03-12, 02:27 AM
The tutus were great.

Also, it was nice to see all of Team Peregrine in action. And two of them acting extremely competent. Still no confirmation whether the archer is, in fact, a Rogue, though.

Hallavast
2010-03-12, 02:29 AM
I can't help but giggle at this. Well done. :smallbiggrin:

Roc Ness
2010-03-12, 02:31 AM
How many people here have honestly skimmed things they should of read? :smallbiggrin: I know I'm guilty often... :smallredface:

i6uuaq
2010-03-12, 02:32 AM
I almost LOL'ed.

Good thing it was almost, considering I was in class. :smallbiggrin:

JonestheSpy
2010-03-12, 02:41 AM
Okay, that was just silly. Good silly, though.

Loved the look of utter glee on Eyepatch-Azurite's face.

Fri
2010-03-12, 02:42 AM
I laughed. In public. Well done.

chiasaur11
2010-03-12, 02:42 AM
A lesson to us all.

You can dance in heavy armor.

Darius Midnite
2010-03-12, 02:44 AM
Well, he did his best. :smallamused:

Mystic Muse
2010-03-12, 02:48 AM
That was awesome Rich!:smallbiggrin:

zoltansonojo
2010-03-12, 02:48 AM
My squadron took on 4 casters.

In a row?

Bongos
2010-03-12, 02:53 AM
Great! Dancing Knights indeed!

Holy_Knight
2010-03-12, 02:53 AM
Ha! I love it. Somehow the dancing knights are way more hilarious than you'd expect of a silly joke like that. :smallsmile:

Shott
2010-03-12, 02:55 AM
Greatest strip title.

kentma57
2010-03-12, 02:58 AM
I don't say this enough, Good Job. :smallsmile:

Zxo
2010-03-12, 03:02 AM
LOL. That was unexpected. :smallbiggrin: I like this kind of strips, increasing dramatic tension ended with a sudden joke.

Squeejee
2010-03-12, 03:04 AM
Epic Dancing Knights!

Is it just me, or is one of the characters in the first panel missing an outline?

FoE
My squadron took on 4 casters.

In a row?

Bunch of savages in this town. :smalltongue:

Martok
Ha! First comic in a while that made me laugh out loud. Brilliantly done! :smallbiggrin:

Laws of Chaos
2010-03-12, 03:06 AM
"Dancing Knights" too funny! That's one for the books, and the tutus were priceless.

Tijne
2010-03-12, 03:07 AM
I lovveedd ittt. :D

Dziadek
2010-03-12, 03:09 AM
Any ideas what spell the human in the first panel is using? The different graphic representation from that of the elf's must mean it's not a standard invisibility. Maybe a class ability?

Haven
2010-03-12, 03:09 AM
Man, seeing the Azurites working together with the elves is just sweet. And the last few bits made me laugh quite heartily.

Very nice "Clerks" reference in the title...

Thanks for placing that one for me. That would have been bugging me all day.

DrivinAllNight
2010-03-12, 03:12 AM
Long time since I posted, but this was to good a strip to pass up, a total win for team comedy, and now we need names for the dancing knights :smallsmile:

Agi Hammerthief
2010-03-12, 03:13 AM
sorry I don't get the title referrence :smalleek:
haven't watched much of clerks

comic is cool by itself tho :smallcool:

Aerysil
2010-03-12, 03:26 AM
yay, humor!

One Step Two
2010-03-12, 03:28 AM
I loved it. Dancing Knights is being added to my wizards spell list now. Also, I am going to go out on a limb and guess that the first panel, that the resitance leader was making a hide check. (But from the partial transparency he has in the next panel, it could be just missing line art.)

Conuly
2010-03-12, 03:30 AM
Any ideas what spell the human in the first panel is using? The different graphic representation from that of the elf's must mean it's not a standard invisibility. Maybe a class ability?

I'd guess he's just, you know, being a ninja. But with eyes.

thunderclan
2010-03-12, 03:32 AM
That was awesome. Had to laugh at this one.

Edhelras
2010-03-12, 03:34 AM
I just wonder - is it mere coincidende that those two "Dancing Knights" bear a resemblance to the two commandos that are attacking the unfortunate cleric?

I mean, one of the Dancing Knights have pink plume, skirt and boots, like the pink-haired Elf. The other one is in grey shades, like the human commando girl (although, he has a red-orange cloak as well, ruining my argument...).

What I'm getting at, is: Whatever spell the cleric was actually casting, is the spell mechanics in any way mirroring a nearby humanoid and creating a dancing knight image on that basis?

(If so, one might vaguely expect some sort of backlash on those two models for the Dancing Knights, at a later point. However, all of this (but even so the spell depicted in the comic) seem to be above the power of a 0-level orison).

Ridureyu
2010-03-12, 03:42 AM
Such senseless violence. It's very telling that all the goblins look p;anicked, afraid, and innocent, whereas the elves and azurites' faces arw twisted in rage and cruelty.

Thoughtbot360
2010-03-12, 03:43 AM
Alas, Gobbotopia, we hardly knew ye.

Wonton
2010-03-12, 03:50 AM
My favourite part is that the elf leader says "...swimming in wights.", which is followed by Lights and Wights... the entire comic rhymes with itself. :P

Deth Muncher
2010-03-12, 04:11 AM
Loving the work misassociations. (Clerk/Cleric, Knight/Light)

Dr.Epic
2010-03-12, 04:13 AM
Yes! I love the Clerks reference!

Thanatosia
2010-03-12, 04:21 AM
lol - what are the odds that the guy who skimmed the manual would have a spell in his book named Dancing Knights?

THe Strip name was pure win.

OITS
2010-03-12, 04:28 AM
Don't let im get a signal of -
or we'll be swimming in wights.
Dancing Lights.

I really like that rhyme. And that comic.^^

Garwain
2010-03-12, 04:29 AM
What strikes me is that the archer (rogue?) from the resistance is making a difficult shot with such confidence. In case she missed, the whole operation was doomed since I don't see Thanh taking out the cleric in the same round from ground level.

Vulkan
2010-03-12, 04:31 AM
Quite nimble for all that armor.

Dr.Epic
2010-03-12, 04:34 AM
THe Strip name was pure win.

In the next strip Roy and Belkar play a game of hockey on a roof and Elan and V knock over a casket at a funeral.

marquiz
2010-03-12, 04:47 AM
Heh heh... although I guess one of the casters on the central battlement had a cloak change from blue to light brown?

Kelly
2010-03-12, 04:53 AM
Nice strip today.

No, wait, it's IWC you say that at.

Anyway, I think I find the dancing knights inordinately funny.
Also, clerk and cleric are basically the same word, which makes the fact of a Clerks reference cleverer, even if I haven't seen it and therefore didn't get it.

Nimrod's Son
2010-03-12, 04:59 AM
In the next strip Roy and Belkar play a game of hockey on a roof and Elan and V knock over a casket at a funeral.
You don't even want to know what happens when Haley goes to the bathroom.

Blas_de_Lezo
2010-03-12, 05:04 AM
haaaaahahahahahaha!!

Thank you Giant! :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

nli10
2010-03-12, 05:22 AM
Was expecting
"I have a cold" With snuffles drawn on as the punchline, but lack of attentiveness works too.

Now recruit him to help as he's surely boned when the bad guess find out he cocked up.

And 10cp says the knights are dancing in at least one more strip. :D

DrGonzo
2010-03-12, 05:32 AM
Nice dirty dancing lift. Very Patrick Swayze..

Dr.Epic
2010-03-12, 05:42 AM
You don't even want to know what happens when Haley goes to the bathroom.

37!

In a row?

Teddy
2010-03-12, 05:45 AM
Hehehe! :smallwink: Must be hard to dance in heavy armor though...

I didn't get the joke in the last panel to a full extent, or the comic title.

EDIT: Oh, wait, I got the last panel joke now...

BisectedBrioche
2010-03-12, 05:48 AM
Ahaha. That caught me completly by surprise.

Tingel
2010-03-12, 05:57 AM
What is the scibbled circle with arrow over Thanh's cape in panel 4?

Haven
2010-03-12, 06:04 AM
What is the scibbled circle with arrow over Thanh's cape in panel 4?

I believe that's rope and a grappling hook.

Also: the one knight is totally looking up the other's tutu. :smalleek:

Shatteredtower
2010-03-12, 06:04 AM
O...kay, then.

RdMarquis
2010-03-12, 06:07 AM
This strip seriously made me crack up. At least someone got free weapons out of that spell.

Yora
2010-03-12, 06:09 AM
I like the use of counterspelling. :smallbiggrin:

So it can be vital.
In certain, very special and slightly forced ways.

One Step Two
2010-03-12, 06:16 AM
Fun Fact: Armour Penalties do not apply to Perform Checks, so it is completely feesable for a pair of knights to do just that.

Assuming high enough levels in perform, and the requisite strength to lift a medium size creature in heavy armour.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-03-12, 06:26 AM
Well, uh...At least you made a new spell! :smallbiggrin:

Woodsman
2010-03-12, 06:26 AM
Nothing but sheer brilliance.

Bravo, Giant, Bravo. :smallbiggrin:

Deastorm
2010-03-12, 06:29 AM
Clerks for the win.

smellie_hippie
2010-03-12, 06:29 AM
"Clerks". Awesomeness in a comic strip! Well done Rich!

geekwraith
2010-03-12, 06:31 AM
Bahahahahaha! I love the look of savage triumph on the cleric's face as the knights materialize in front of him, followed by total shock when they start tripping the light fantastic. :smallamused:

Lkctgo
2010-03-12, 06:34 AM
That guy probably won't get the raise he wanted. Geddit? Meh, saving my A material for the PC's.

Onyavar
2010-03-12, 06:35 AM
From others comments I conclude that todays strip is a reference to Clerks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clerks#Plot). I still don't get the joke/pun entirely, and also do not intend to see this movie in the next days - so might someone please enlighten me?

What I get so far:
The hobcleric was not supposed to be there today, has not paid attention at his briefing, and misspelled his signals in a particularly funny way.

What I didn't get: Dancing Knights and the Clerks reference.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-03-12, 06:37 AM

Dancing Knights isn't the Clerks reference. The strip title is.

Daran
2010-03-12, 06:40 AM
Wait ... am I the only one noticing the strange circle with the arrow on our paladin's cape in panel 4? :smallconfused:
What is that?
Look like a scribble or something forgotten to take out.

Nimrod's Son
2010-03-12, 06:45 AM
The cleric didn't read his instructions properly and cast "Dancing Knights" instead of "Dancing Lights" as he was supposed to. Clerks is a film about a convenience store worker who is called in as emergency cover on his day off. He proceeds to have the day from hell, and repeatedly moans "I'm not even supposed to be here today" throughout the film.

Wait ... am I the only one noticing the strange circle with the arrow on our paladin's cape in panel 4? :smallconfused:
What is that?
It's a rope and grappling hook.

Teddy
2010-03-12, 06:52 AM
What is that?

It's a grappling hook to scale the walls.

EDIT: Ninja'd

Edhelras
2010-03-12, 06:56 AM
What strikes me is that the archer (rogue?) from the resistance is making a difficult shot with such confidence. In case she missed, the whole operation was doomed since I don't see Thanh taking out the cleric in the same round from ground level.

Well, since she is an Elf and these guys seem to be quite high level, chances are that she's an Arcane Archer.
If so, and provided she has 4 lvls of AA, she can use Seeker Arrow http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/arcaneArcher.htm#seekerArrow and probably feel quite assured that she might hit the Cleric.

I'm not quite sure whether the cleric on the towertop was surprised or not. I think that in game terms it must have been - because Dancing Lights takes only standard action to cast, so it's technically impossible to be interrupted in the casting unless you're exposed to melée attacks of opportunity. I believe the Giant just had the clerics start the incantation just to illustrate what the clerics would have done on their turn, had they been allowed to live.

Thus - the cleric on the towertop was caught flat-footed as well, and as I said - the Elven archer may well have had access to a Seeker Arrow. :smallsmile:

Kewpa
2010-03-12, 07:06 AM
Such senseless violence. It's very telling that all the goblins look p;anicked, afraid, and innocent, whereas the elves and azurites' faces arw twisted in rage and cruelty.

Innocent?

The goblins have killed real innocents, tortured O-Chul, and are holding Azurites as slaves. The Azurites are determined to take what is rightfully theirs back, the gobbos are panicking because, well, they're being attacked unexpectedly. They weren't anticipating any real fight from the Resistance.

Umm... Great comic Rich! I'm hoping the humor keeps pace with the story as it has been for a while.

hewhosaysfish
2010-03-12, 07:07 AM
because Dancing Lights takes only standard action to cast, so it's technically impossible to be interrupted in the casting unless you're exposed to melée attacks of opportunity.

Alternatively, someone could ready an action to disrupt spellcasting.

U2QueenBee
2010-03-12, 07:11 AM
I laughed out loud. :smallbiggrin: Nice one Giant. ^^

Edhelras
2010-03-12, 07:16 AM
Alternatively, someone could ready an action to disrupt spellcasting.

Of course, you're absolutely right, that's just as possible an explanation.

Maybe not so important after all. Most of my own clerics have a lousy DEX since they're usually wearing heavy armor, and being caught flat-footed isn't such a problem for them after all.
But cover would still be extremely useful for those guys on top of the tower, providing at least a +4 to AC. Given the height of the tower and the angle of the the shot, one might consider giving the cleric even +6 or +8 to AC for improved cover. In that case a Seeker Arrow negating the cover bonus would be very useful for the commandos.

Heh. And I'm just starting a (CRPG) game with an Arcane Archeress, so yay! AA! :smallbiggrin:

DabblerWizard
2010-03-12, 07:19 AM
Woot! Go team! :smallbiggrin:

Kareasint
2010-03-12, 07:23 AM
The Hobgobs in the Brown cloaks are low level wizards. Dancing Lights (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dancingLights.htm) is a spell used by Wizards/Sorcerers/Bards. Four casters were on guard. They were really hedging their bets there.

I figured that step one in the attack was to take out the signal callers. It's a mop up operation now.

The "Ballerina Knight" even had toe shoes on. Nice touch, Giant. For the music, imagine "Dance of the Flutes" by Tchaikovsky.

I did see one cleric in the previous comic though. Where did he go?

Kish
2010-03-12, 07:27 AM
Innocent?
I suggest scrutinizing Rideryu's sig more closely.

wowy319
2010-03-12, 07:30 AM
I love you, Rich. "Dancing knights" plus the title just makes the comic. :smallbiggrin:

Edhelras
2010-03-12, 07:33 AM
The Hobgobs in the Brown cloaks are low level wizards. Dancing Lights (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dancingLights.htm) is a spell used by Wizards/Sorcerers/Bards. Four casters were on guard. They were really hedging their bets there.

Eh, I was wrong, of course they must be wizards (although I would have thought that Adepts were more common in a Hobgob army? But they don't have Dancing Lights on their spell list. Meh... I think they might as well have it, they already have Ghost sound and Light. In my game, I would give them Dancing Lights as well...). I initially thought of them as clerics due to their appearance.

Anyway, there goes my speculation that the casters might have a low DEX. The issue of surprise would still be somewhat important, then.

wowy319
2010-03-12, 07:34 AM

Rule of cool, man. It's a comic, not a campaign, and it also comes back to rule zero: if the man in charge wants it to happen, it can happen. WAY too many people don't seem to understand that this is a comic, and rules lawyering it is just plain stupid.

Edhelras
2010-03-12, 07:46 AM
Rule of cool, man. It's a comic, not a campaign, and it also comes back to rule zero: if the man in charge wants it to happen, it can happen. WAY too many people don't seem to understand that this is a comic, and rules lawyering it is just plain stupid.

As I wrote above - it would be very cool (IMO) if the Elven archer had 4 levels in the Arcane Archer prestige class, and thus access to Seeker Arrow. That PrC is part of the standard d20 ruleset which I believe the Giant is using. It's not that often you get to use the AA abilities in-game, but this might have been a very cool application of the Seeker Arrow feat: Situations where one lucky shot is crucial to the success of the whole operation.

BTW, thinking about this early strip http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0059.html , it would seem that the Giant himself is very aware of the coolness of having his characters obeying the laws for ranged combat setup by the game rules. In that situation, the lucky shot (after all, she only rolled a 20, but at a very important moment) was explained by an omen from a ghost.

Part of the fun with DnD, IMO, is combat being so heavily dependant on the roll of the dice, so that a lucky roll can save the day, but even the strongest party can get in trouble through a series of unlucky rolls.

Stabbey
2010-03-12, 08:01 AM
That could have gone much worse if the hobgoblin had cast "Dancing Wights" instead.

Petrocorus
2010-03-12, 08:03 AM
Also, it was nice to see all of Team Peregrine in action. And two of them acting extremely competent. Still no confirmation whether the archer is, in fact, a Rogue, though.

Why only two?

Thrax
2010-03-12, 08:14 AM
Dancing Knights, lol. That spell should be epic level. :D

Mauve Shirt
2010-03-12, 08:22 AM
Oh good, glad to see the resistance is going well. :smallbiggrin:

HandofShadows
2010-03-12, 08:27 AM
That 'el tech him to read the orientation material more closely. :smallbiggrin:

Scarlet Knight
2010-03-12, 08:32 AM
Ha! I love it. Somehow the dancing knights are way more hilarious than you'd expect of a silly joke like that. :smallsmile:

"On second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It's a very silly place..."

albis
2010-03-12, 08:36 AM
God, the dancing knights made my day!!! XD

Blaznak
2010-03-12, 08:38 AM
A "Clerks" reference AND a bad pun. Wonderful!

whitemane
2010-03-12, 08:53 AM
Innocent?

The goblins have killed real innocents, tortured O-Chul, and are holding Azurites as slaves. The Azurites are determined to take what is rightfully theirs back, the gobbos are panicking because, well, they're being attacked unexpectedly. They weren't anticipating any real fight from the Resistance.

Umm... Great comic Rich! I'm hoping the humor keeps pace with the story as it has been for a while.

Well... If you want to get technical, the gob/hobgoblins have a case for saying that they are justified in their actions since the Saphire Guard attacked numerous gob/hobgoblin settlements in an effort to purge the area and protect the gates. Then we could also talk about the Dark One getting betrayed by the other leaders back when he was mortal.

I'm not being an apologist for the gob/hobgoblins, I'm just saying that in their minds, they are justified for their actions.

Relating to the strip itself... It's awesome to see the united resistance working with Team Perigrine....

Strawberries
2010-03-12, 08:58 AM
I chuckled. Nice comic, love the knight in the pink tutu :smallbiggrin:

Big Hungry Joe
2010-03-12, 09:14 AM
I really enjoyed this one. That is all.

jlvm4
2010-03-12, 09:16 AM
Anyone given thought to the fact that while the spell was not the expected one, it might be just as effective? If you saw two human 'knights' dancing through the streets, wouldn't you come investigate anyway? It might not be the lights of the danger signal, but if they're spotted near the prison, it could still be trouble for the elves and azurites.

Jagos
2010-03-12, 09:17 AM
Wow... That was pretty funny.

If they hit a moonwalk though, I'm running for the hills.

Kieran Cage
2010-03-12, 09:52 AM
So does this mean that upon entering the prison, Team P. and the ACR will discover, draped over the cell door, a large bedsheet sign stating "I assure you, we're open!"?

Or two hobgoblin guards debating the merits of one leaving his current girlfriend to hook up with his ex?

And for the love of the 12 gods, can we please see two slacker-looking goblins hanging around out front, one fat, in an overcoat, the other skinny with stringy hair, shouting profanity-laced tirades and selling, errr.."pixie dust"?

Ok, I'll stop now.

zql
2010-03-12, 10:02 AM
The good thing of having a spellcaster on the team is that even if they didn't reach every (competent) goblin wiz before they cast Dancing Lights, they could Dispel Magic the next round, hoping nobody noticed it.

Excelent strip, loved the pink toe shoes of 'Ballerina Knight'.

CapedLuigiYoshi
2010-03-12, 10:06 AM
Wow, this made me giggle. :smallbiggrin: Nice comic as always, Mr. Burlew.

Magicyop
2010-03-12, 10:12 AM
Heeh. This joke was overly silly, but the way in which it was executed made me giggle. I'm also excited that we're getting into the action right away- I was worried that we'd have to deal with 5-6 strips of them sneaking through the prison, before we got into something exciting, but here it is, and it's great. Can't wait for more, now!

Scorpions__
2010-03-12, 10:28 AM
Nice... dancing knights...

Oh, but what level Knights are we talking?

DM[F]R

Happy Gravity
2010-03-12, 10:40 AM
Now, what if it was Dancing WIGHTS?

Tiktakkat
2010-03-12, 10:42 AM
Orientation is done for a reason people.
Focus!

mistformsquirrl
2010-03-12, 10:48 AM
I love puns. <._.>

This is a joke after my own heart <,<

Zanaril
2010-03-12, 11:01 AM
Huh. It looks like sesquipedalian loquaciousness may be a racial trait for elves.

Not nearly as bad as with V, but apparent none the less.

Asta Kask
2010-03-12, 11:08 AM
Huh. It looks like sesquipedalian loquaciousness may be a racial trait for elves.

Not nearly as bad as with V, but apparent none the less.

How so? Who was particularly long-winded here?

Gift Jeraff
2010-03-12, 11:11 AM
Ah, forgot about the other Resistance leaders. 4 Resistance members and Team Peregrine--I appreciate the symmetry. And the Clerks reference. :smallbiggrin: But...go Gobbotopia!

The dual-wielding elf does not use any contractions and speaks all properly. Much like V.

Zanaril
2010-03-12, 11:13 AM

Not long winded, but the way the green-haired elf is speaking is rather stilted and formal.

Scorpions__
2010-03-12, 11:17 AM
Huh, the illusion-knights dropped a shield...

DM[F]R

rewinn
2010-03-12, 11:19 AM
I misinterpreted the title as suggesting Xykon was going to be there, which would have been very worrisome:smalleek:; I'm glad to see it's a "Clerks" reference instead!:smallsmile:

Also I was so caught up in the drama of seeing whether the commando squad would succeed or fail that I completely missed that the 4th caster said "knights" not "lights" - which made me go back and reread the thing. This made the joke even funnier; I love it when an author :smalltongue:fools the reader by entirely fair means!

If the Azurites even have a Holiday Of Regaining The City, one of the most important parts of the celebration will have to be the Knight Dance.:smallbiggrin:

:confused: "Why did Redcloak order that particular number of casters?
:redcloak: "I wanted to be fourwarned!"

sihnfahl
2010-03-12, 11:31 AM
If they hit a moonwalk though, I'm running for the hills.
Summon Pop Star! (http://www.antiheroescomic.com/comic/22)

waterpenguin43
2010-03-12, 11:34 AM
Good Job, it's impressive how you've failed to jump the shark yet, Mr. Burlew!!! (Except, you know, litterally)

Elan's Modron
2010-03-12, 11:54 AM
Two words for this strip:
BRILL. YUNT.

Some additional words for this strip:
I don't know why, but it's very narratively pleasing to see characters learn and grow from earlier situations: No one on Team Non-Gobbo will ever be screwed by Dancing Lights ever again!

deuxhero
2010-03-12, 12:15 PM
Misspelled stuff is funny.

Someone needs to stat Dancing Knights.

Optimystik
2010-03-12, 12:15 PM
C'mon Sangwaan! We know you're in there!

Now, what if it was Dancing WIGHTS?

The Resistance would be sclewed.

Pandabear
2010-03-12, 12:31 PM
I'm somewhere between feeling that this is a bit of filler and enjoying the situation as given, but this joke is so wrong you'd actually consider multiclassing just to be able to cast this spell.. :smallsmile:

Sijo
2010-03-12, 12:36 PM
A whole strip wasting on a *single* pun? And not a terribly funny one either.

I'm serious, where's the brilliance from earlier books? Is the writer running out of ideas? Both the desert sequences and the goblin politics were a snooze for me.

Maybe I should just stop reading for a while, wait until it gets good again and THEN catch up... :smallfrown:

Oh well at least the rebels were shown as particularly effective.

I still have the feeling they are in for a nasty surprise, though...

Draconi Redfir
2010-03-12, 12:51 PM
the Dancing Knights goblin diserves to go free just for being awsome XD

Snake-Aes
2010-03-12, 12:57 PM

I'm serious, where's the brilliance from earlier books? Is the writer running out of ideas? Both the desert sequences and the goblin politics were a snooze for me.

Maybe I should just stop reading for a while, wait until it gets good again and THEN catch up... :smallfrown:

Oh well at least the rebels were shown as particularly effective.

I still have the feeling they are in for a nasty surprise, though...
A pun a day keeps the mimes away, sir. Your expectations do not match the comic's overall humor o.O Good luck with the future bashing...there's always some.

JoseB
2010-03-12, 12:57 PM

YMMV! I thought it was brilliant... But then, I love absurd humour.

That sounds like a good idea. If you are not enjoying the comic as before, give it a rest and check it after some time has passed. Part of your disappointment might have to do with the wait for each new comic. In that way, whatever comes up will not be up to the expectations that are built in one's mind. Better give it a rest for X weeks, read then whatever new material is there in one go, and *then* decide whether you are still interested in the story or not.

wartburg
2010-03-12, 12:58 PM
I kind of thought it was lame. Might just be out of sorts today.

Dark_Tangente
2010-03-12, 01:03 PM
I really loved this one !
I must have laughed smthing like 5 times in a row.

Brilliant :D

Athaniar
2010-03-12, 01:04 PM
I don't know what "Clerks" is, and I have no idea what the hobgoblin means by "orientation packet". Still, the pun is slightly humourous. Made me think of Monty Python.

Shale
2010-03-12, 01:08 PM
I don't know what "Clerks" is, and I have no idea what the hobgoblin means by "orientation packet".

Clerks: Movie about a clerk at a convenience store, taking place over the course of a day. The main character's constant refrain is "I'm not even supposed to be here today!" - it's his day off, but the boss called him in because nobody else was available to work.

Orientation packet: Training materials you're handed before you start a new job. Contains information you'll need to know to do the work, including, in this case, what to do if rebels attack.

Also, even if you don't like the punchline (in which case you are a sad, humorless human being, or possibly a marsupial of some sort), how was the strip "wasted"? They broke into the prison. That's plot.

multilis
2010-03-12, 01:34 PM
A pun a day keeps the mimes away, sir. Your expectations do not match the comic's overall humor o.O Good luck with the future bashing...there's always some.
Room for both those who think every comic is extra funny and those who don't.

I suspect if these exact jokes were used in DD comic, many reactions would be "worst jokes ever".

Kish
2010-03-12, 01:46 PM
The pun isn't the point. The point, is that the prison guards did not get off an alarm and neither Tsukiko, nor Redcloak, nor Xykon will be interfering with the prison break.

Oslecamo
2010-03-12, 01:46 PM
I suspect if these exact jokes were used in DD comic, many reactions would be "worst jokes ever".

For me, this comic made made me laugh more than the last half-dozen put togheter. And I laughed well at the last half-dozen.

Really, the thrill of stoping the casters before they get dancing lights, and then the last one reveals to have been asleep on his wizard training and summons DANCING KNIGHTS! Fear their mighty synchrozination! Pure pun gold!:smallbiggrin:

Dvandemon
2010-03-12, 02:30 PM
That could have gone much worse if the hobgoblin had cast "Dancing Wights" instead.

Thought the exact same thing:smallbiggrin:

Shale
2010-03-12, 02:35 PM
I'd like to see what happens if he casts Dancing Fights. Or did Erfworld already cover that?

Rotipher
2010-03-12, 03:07 PM
Anyone given thought to the fact that while the spell was not the expected one, it might be just as effective? If you saw two human 'knights' dancing through the streets, wouldn't you come investigate anyway? It might not be the lights of the danger signal, but if they're spotted near the prison, it could still be trouble for the elves and azurites.

Knights dancing in tutus, flying through the air? Maybe on a regular day. On the day of the biggest party in Gobbotopian history? "Oh look, those newbie hob-wizards must've opened up another keg..."

revenge256
2010-03-12, 03:13 PM
Any Ioun Stones down there?

Biggest pair you ever seen, dingleberry!

There may have been a previous reference to the orientation packet/pamphlet:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0513.html

mucat
2010-03-12, 03:40 PM
Yes, because in all probability, that particular writer would have botched the execution and produced something something awkward and unfunny. Rich did not.

The actual pun here is horrible, and if you read it to me out loud, I would expect it to fall flat. But every time I actually look at the two knights in tutus cavorting away with little dotted jump lines in their wake, I crack up laughing. Your milage may vary.

Shale
2010-03-12, 03:54 PM
Plus Rich doesn't go out on that joke, giving us instead the hobgoblin's hilariously awkward explanation to people who are about to kill him.

Agi Hammerthief
2010-03-12, 04:08 PM
Now, what if it was Dancing WIGHTS? would Niu's holy water arsenal have helped?

deworde
2010-03-12, 04:14 PM
Maybe it's just that I'm in a good mood, but that is a FANTASTIC pun.

Bedinsis
2010-03-12, 04:47 PM
This has got to be the strip with the second least number of major characters so far. Or for that matter, minor characters as well. I'm not complaining, just observing.

But it's the start of a new book, Mr. Burlew is probably establishing the characters that will be semi-important in this book.

QueenoftheCapes
2010-03-12, 04:49 PM
But are they Knights of the Round Table? :smalltongue:

Awesome strip! I loved it so much that I registered just to say that and make a feeble Python reference.

hamishspence
2010-03-12, 04:51 PM
But it's the start of a new book, Mr. Burlew is probably establishing the characters that will be semi-important in this book.

Maybe we could compare it to the previous book?

We had 17 strips of Roy in Celestia, followed by 9 strips of the Azure City Fleet.

We have had 26 strips of the Order, followed by 8 strips in Azure City.

Maybe we're due for another change of scene soon?

Mystic Muse
2010-03-12, 05:18 PM
But are they Knights of the Round Table? :smalltongue:

It's only a model

Teleporker
2010-03-12, 05:42 PM
I'd like to see what happens if he casts Dancing Fights. Or did Erfworld already cover that?

Well, Erfworld's last dance fight (that I remember) was led by Wanda and a bunch of dead guys doing Michael Jackson's "Thriller" moves (Not sure if Ansom's was before or after that). I imagine a "Dancing Fights" spell would have summoned a Wanda-lookalike (or Tsukiko dressed in red leather pants and jacket) with a bunch of zombies doing the whaka-whaka in the background.

Or maybe a Chun-li/Cammy musical where they do dance versions of their signature moves...

:roach: And that's why you would suck at writing this comic

Klose_the_Sith
2010-03-12, 05:51 PM
I can't imagine any criticism, I've opened this strip up 6 times already and I've actually laughed out loud every time. I love it! :smallbiggrin:

I'm especially fond of them dancing off into the distance while holding hands and the music follows them. Hehehehe, I just read it again and I'm all happy now.

(BTW, I wasn't even in a good mood when I first read this comic. It's silly cheered me up :smallsmile:)

Woodsman
2010-03-12, 05:59 PM
It's only a model

But... but they dance whenever they're able!

elonin
2010-03-12, 06:15 PM
@ woodsman LOL love that.

Loved this comic giant! For those who didn't like the last few comics do you realize that there is something called building a story arc. If you expect every comic to be the conclusion of a story arc you'll end up with something without much thought or planning. Do you want all of the comics to be a watching Belkar kill people (or talk about it) or jokes about V's gender etc? That would get old quick.

Gift Jeraff
2010-03-12, 06:16 PM
A thought occurs: Their main fear appears to be Tsukiko and her Black Squadron. What if it turns out Tsukiko is in the prison making new wights? Enough time may have passed for her to move on to a new task. And if we see her undead-ify some elderly and/or young Commoner slaves, some of the Tsukiko sympathizers might finally shut up.

But they probably wouldn't.

ThreadKiller
2010-03-12, 06:31 PM
Yay, action sequence! Thanks for the comic, Rich! :smallsmile:

Runeclaw
2010-03-12, 06:39 PM
I'm not being an apologist for the gob/hobgoblins, I'm just saying that in their minds, they are justified for their actions.

This is true of most evil people.

RoninAngel
2010-03-12, 06:47 PM
Poor Gobbo. Simple mistake I could have made myself and now he has to die... I know he's a mook, but I can't help but feel bad for him.
It is a him, isn't it? Can you ever really tell with hobgoblins?

vbushido
2010-03-12, 06:50 PM
Okay, I should not read OOTS and drink soda at the same time. *wipes off monitor*

I enjoyed reliving the drama of trying to invade a stronghold in a small assault group while hoping against all hope they don't get off a warning signal. The drama built up speed as one, two, then three casters went down. Then it crashed into the wall of funny as I saw the words "Dancing Knights." My partially-consumed beverage got ejected on impact and I nearly fell out of my seat as I watched to illusionary knights dance across the courtyard. I'm glad no one witnessed my display of un-seatbelted joy. Thank you, Rich. The accidental mirth is much appreciated.

Acero
2010-03-12, 06:54 PM
action and comedy. the comic has returned to its brillient core

PallElendro
2010-03-12, 07:06 PM
Lol, Dancing Knights? Reminds me of RuneScape.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-12, 07:08 PM
But... but they dance whenever they're able!

Do they weigh as much as a duck?

gosh
2010-03-12, 07:30 PM
Hilarious, Rich! Nice to see some more Team Peregrine/Resistance, and it's also nice to see the old Resistance leaders cooperating. Keep it up!

Toper
2010-03-12, 08:05 PM
Heh. Nicely composed. Although I can't really stop seeing Thanh's rope thingy as a scribbly editorial arrow telling the artist to move him a bit to the left.

I wonder if Redcloak's been intentionally encouraging the development of hobgoblin wizards?

Skorj
2010-03-12, 08:12 PM
First time I've actually laughed out loud at an OOTS comic in a while. Excellent. :smallbiggrin: Hopefully this means we're past the start-of-book expository lump and into the good stuff!

DoctorIllithid
2010-03-12, 08:30 PM
I hope that Bluecloak in the previous comic manages to get off a signal...

Hithros
2010-03-12, 08:41 PM
This was a fun one! Heh...
And its nice to see they are prepared for all the wizards :smallbiggrin:

Gift Jeraff
2010-03-12, 09:22 PM
I hope that Bluecloak in the previous comic manages to get off a signal...
What would be a quick cleric spell that would work? Nothing high-level. Maybe not even mid-level.

Charmy
2010-03-12, 10:29 PM
Add three more elves to the list of those with a fairly definitive gender based on body shape (or maybe half elves?).

This makes me think that V and his/her mate belong to a unique sub-race of elves which are ambiguously gendered (along with V's master Aarindarius) and are the exception among elves rather than the rule.

DBear
2010-03-13, 12:18 AM
re #160: I thought the strip introducing Team Peregrine had pretty much established things--dual wielder was male, the archer was female, but wizard and sender w/pink hair could be either.

Tobimaro
2010-03-13, 01:11 AM
That hobgoblin in the last set of panels is having the worst of all days. First he miscasts a simple spell, then he is going to be cut down by the resistance. And no doubt he is from a temp agency who is filling in for another caster-type who is currently getting drunk at the Gobbotopia freedom celebration.

Yep. His bad day. But a funny one for us readers. :smallbiggrin:

Kareasint
2010-03-13, 02:33 AM
What would be a quick cleric spell that would work? Nothing high-level. Maybe not even mid-level.

Sending at 4th level is probably the first spell available for that type of signal but it has a 10 minute casting time. The Cleric cannot really get a message off with a spell like the Wizards could. It made sense to kill them first.

/still enjoying Tchaikovsky

Agi Hammerthief
2010-03-13, 04:34 AM
I'm a bit confused at the artwork here:

4 arcane casters with standard edition holy symbols and not a single familiar in sight

Petrocorus
2010-03-13, 05:08 AM
Do they weigh as much as a duck?

I thought the same myself. But i think this ones weight less so...

WWWIIITTCH!!!!

PS: I look behind me, Kyuubi, and you're not there!

Asta Kask
2010-03-13, 06:14 AM
Thanh: And after this, let Jirix seat him sure/for we will shake him, or worse days endure.

Omergideon
2010-03-13, 06:41 AM
Well now, this was a really good strip. I haven't been able to use the internet for some time, my computer is dead, but I think that a mini review of this strip is in order. Before though I must confess I really enjoyed the strip.

The Good
1) Always the artwork. I don't think I ever have a bad thing to say about it. The worst has been that the environment in Azure city can appear dull compared to the desert from before. Here though I have no complaints. There is enough colour to keep it interesting, the details are all there and the action remains clean and efficient. Every act is clear to see and gives the impression of frentic action. I heartily approve.
2) Speaking about the action in particular, after a few slower strips that focused on exposition and plot we have an action packed episode. Simply put the story of the action is great to see. There is a clear strategy at play and no scenes are wasted. It is a good fight scene.
3) It's just a small moment but I absolutely love the smug look that the cleric gives after he cast the knights spell. It's one of those tiny touches the Giant throws in that make this comic such a joy to read.

The Bad
1) My only complaint is that I hate puns. I don't find them funny in the least and so for me the joke was partly lost. Now the punchline panel was allright but nothing special too me.

So in closing I found the comic to be an entertaining action packed treasure, with very few jokes. But the action was more than breezy enough to keep me entertained. 3 Stars, easily.

SatyreIkon
2010-03-13, 07:04 AM
Ouuuuuuuuuh ... that pun went way too far down :smallbiggrin:

Still, it's something to remember.

Military Man
2010-03-13, 07:37 AM
Not the brightest cleric in Azure City, I'll give you that. :smallwink:
It's also Nice to have an action packed battle scene, great art on Rich's part.

Nice Comic all around.

Gift Jeraff
2010-03-13, 12:58 PM
re #160: I thought the strip introducing Team Peregrine had pretty much established things--dual wielder was male, the archer was female, but wizard and sender w/pink hair could be either.
Now see, the archer looks male to me.

Really, I think only the dual wielder can safely be given a gender.

4 arcane casters with standard edition holy symbols and not a single familiar in sight
Regarding the lack of familiars: Despite the numerous wizards and sorcerers we have seen, we have only seen 2 familiars--Blackwing and a toad (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0677.html). Mages just tend to ignore their familiars.

Defiant
2010-03-13, 02:00 PM
Is the title joke referring to the OOTS Adventure Game? :smallbiggrin:

Shatteredtower
2010-03-13, 05:33 PM
All this talk of Clerks and wordplay just made me realise that Clerks II starts with Dante's inferno.

Omergideon, I like a good pun (not that this was a good pun) because humour based on revelation is harder to pull off than that based on suffering. The best can get you to look at one or more languages differently. They can even reveal something about the punster, even beyond having a fondness for puns.

Then again, I read chess analysis for the positional comedy, so I can see why puns might not be for everyone either.

C'mon Sangwaan! We know you're in there!

That would be nice.

Nightfall
2010-03-13, 07:52 PM
Wasn't that the ballet from "A Little Knight Music" they were dancing?:smallbiggrin:

Wackd
2010-03-13, 09:15 PM
Is the title joke referring to the OOTS Adventure Game? :smallbiggrin:No, it was referring to the film Clerks., in which the title character is constantly complaining that he was called into work on his day off--"I'm not even supposed to be here today!"

And, though several people have made a lot of good references, I feel obligated to post one. There's a sign inside reading "If you plan to attack the guards, let us know. Thanks. --The Government"

Omergideon
2010-03-14, 08:43 AM
Omergideon, I like a good pun (not that this was a good pun) because humour based on revelation is harder to pull off than that based on suffering. The best can get you to look at one or more languages differently.

Well I have yet to fing a pun I find amusing so meh. Though I do prefer wordplay by far to physical comedy. And I just can't enjoy comedy based on suffering myself. It just makes me cringe whenever we laugh at a person and not with them.

squidbreath
2010-03-14, 10:24 AM
Hehe Dancing Knights *thinks of knights of the round table*

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-03-14, 10:35 AM
Now see, the archer looks male to me.

Really, I think only the dual wielder can safely be given a gender.

Oh gosh. It's another gender debate.

Kish
2010-03-14, 10:38 AM
And still about elves. Who'd have thought?

Herald Alberich
2010-03-14, 12:52 PM

Yeah, the difference between wizards and clerics of other races has always been pretty clear. I'm not sure why the Giant decided to just go with brown cloaks and spell selection to differentiate them here (besides that it was easy to just recolor the artwork). Although, I just noticed they don't have armor (signified by shoulderpads), so that's another clue.

As for the familiars, though, Jeraff is right - if the wizards need them, they'll appear.

Selif
2010-03-14, 01:55 PM
Great. If that were me, I probably would have had the Dancing Knights dance into the attacking Azurites, then cast Dancing Lights.

Cealocanth
2010-03-14, 03:45 PM
DANCING WIGHTS!!!1!

If only he read it thouroughly...

Zexion
2010-03-14, 10:25 PM
If the rest of the goblins are like this, the elves have nothing to fear.

Shatteredtower
2010-03-14, 11:38 PM
Great. If that were me, I probably would have had the Dancing Knights dance into the attacking Azurites, then cast Dancing Lights.

One, two, three, kick!

albis
2010-03-15, 01:54 AM
Actually.... now I wonder, if the dancing knights saunter off where someone sees them... won't the army get alarmed anyway?

silvadel
2010-03-15, 02:52 AM
I thought the most powerful goblin arcane peep was the PORK guy? I find it interesting actually that they have so many albeit low level wizards. As RC says they arent exactly set up for it.

Kish
2010-03-15, 04:39 AM
I thought the most powerful goblin arcane peep was the PORK guy? I find it interesting actually that they have so many albeit low level wizards. As RC says they arent exactly set up for it.
Neither are halflings, gnomes, or half-elves, as far as that goes.

factotum
2010-03-15, 07:25 AM
I thought the most powerful goblin arcane peep was the PORK guy?

Firstly, that was the most powerful one they'd found more than thirty years ago. Secondly, these guys are hobgoblins, not goblins.

HandofShadows
2010-03-15, 07:40 AM
Firstly, that was the most powerful one they'd found more than thirty years ago. Secondly, these guys are hobgoblins, not goblins.

Also those are all clerics, not wizards. They all had holy symbols.

hamishspence
2010-03-15, 08:32 AM
They cast the arcane spell Dancing Lights. So, whether they are clerics or not, they must have levels in an arcane casting class (wizard, sorcerer, or bard).

Maybe holy symbols aren't much of a guide for telling divine from arcane casters, in the hobgoblin army.

Scarlet Knight
2010-03-15, 08:33 AM
Wasn't that the ballet from "A Little Knight Music" they were dancing?:smallbiggrin:

" Blaming it all ...on the Knights on Broadwaaay...." :smallwink:

Nightfall
2010-03-15, 09:49 PM

ROFL:smallbiggrin:

rewinn
2010-03-15, 10:14 PM

Too bad for the hobbos that this didn't happen on the weekend.

Cuz - Saturday Knights' Alright for Fighting.

KyrtFurey
2010-03-17, 04:00 AM
Sad to say, this issue is one of the few that didn't work for me.

The Dancing Knights joke was too forced. And I'm still not too keen on Team Peregrine...that still feels like its going to turn out to be a DEM; its likely going to take an army to retake AC and noone in the area seems intersted, and the survivors are now half way around the world and unable to make any quick return.

EJL

factotum
2010-03-17, 06:54 AM
How is Team Peregrine in any way a Deus Ex Machina (assuming that's what you mean by DEM)? We know where they came from and what they're doing--it's not like they suddenly appeared in Azure City with no explanation! And attacking a prison to release the prisoners isn't anything close to liberating the entire city.

Kish
2010-03-17, 09:11 AM
As I recently said to someone on the other side, OotS has a long history of failing to fulfill predictions that "X NPC of yet-unstated power-level" will turn out to be amazingly powerful.

Team Peregrine is a group of mid-level adventurers. Whatever their role in the story is, it's not going to be "single-handedly reconquered Gobbotopia" and it's not going to be "went toe-to-toe with Xykon and lived to tell the tale."

Edna
2010-03-17, 05:59 PM
This definitely calls for a new avatar!

http://fisher.berkeley.edu/~edna/images/stick_edna_dk.png

albis
2010-03-18, 01:54 AM
that's wonderful! XD

BillyJimBoBob
2010-03-18, 11:16 AM
that's wonderful! XD

Seconded!!

Kumo
2010-03-20, 04:25 PM
Actually.... now I wonder, if the dancing knights saunter off where someone sees them... won't the army get alarmed anyway?

i think they'll be more confused than alarmed.

albis
2010-03-21, 03:57 AM
well, someone would eventually check to try and see where did they come from.... right?