PDA

View Full Version : New to DMing

Nate the Snake
2010-03-12, 02:26 AM
I was looking through Sandstorm the other day, and one of the pre-made adventures looked fun. I'm thinking about running it as a one-shot with some friends. However, I have a somewhat significant problem: I have never actually played a game of D&D, let alone DMed. Needless to say, the task is rather daunting.

I have a couple of weeks to prepare, I'm already very familiar with the rules, and the adventure is fairly low level, so I don't think it will be too bad. To be on the safe side, though, I wanted to ask, do you have any advice for a DM with literally no experience on either side of the DM screen, beyond what you would recommend for any new DM?

FoE
2010-03-12, 03:40 AM
Don't worry too much about screw-ups your first time out. It takes time to get used to a rules-intensive system like D&D and you're bound to add this +2 bonus or that you're supposed to make a Will save when 'X' happens.

Plan an adventure, but don't insist on following a script to the letter. Your players will eventually rebel if they are never given any freedom in their actions. The term for that is called 'railroading.' (Experienced DMs can ad lib their way through the worst craziness a player throws at them, but sneakier DMs provides players with the illusion of choice.)

Keep your players focused on the game. They can't watch the Simpsons/play video games at the same time they're gaming. Set aside a few hours to play.

Battle is where the game comes alive, but it's also the most time-consuming portion of the game. Realize that long adventures can't be completed in one sit-down.

Here's a stickied thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76474) that provides a lot better advice than I can.

Nate the Snake
2010-03-12, 03:28 PM
Don't worry too much about screw-ups your first time out. It takes time to get used to a rules-intensive system like D&D and you're bound to add this +2 bonus or that you're supposed to make a Will save when 'X' happens.

This is pretty much already my mantra. Being a perfectionist means that I have to make a special note of it. :smallwink:

Plan an adventure, but don't insist on following a script to the letter. Your players will eventually rebel if they are never given any freedom in their actions. The term for that is called 'railroading.' (Experienced DMs can ad lib their way through the worst craziness a player throws at them, but sneakier DMs provides players with the illusion of choice.)

I've been reading the forums enough to know that railroading is Very Bad. On the other hand, the average amount of experience in the group ranges from slim to none, so the players will probably just stay on the rails anyway for the sake of simplicity.

Then again, prepare for the worst, hope for the best. :smallbiggrin:

Keep your players focused on the game. They can't watch the Simpsons/play video games at the same time they're gaming. Set aside a few hours to play.

Battle is where the game comes alive, but it's also the most time-consuming portion of the game. Realize that long adventures can't be completed in one sit-down.

This shouldn't be a problem. We're all used to playing single games that take hours.

Here's a stickied thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76474) that provides a lot better advice than I can.

Thanks. I knew that was around here somewhere.

If the module (don't know it, sorry) has NPCs, decide how you want to play them. Give each one something distinctive, like a speech mannerism (ends every sentence with "yes?" or "no?") or an accent or something like that.

It's the Basin of Deadly Dust (from Sandstorm), which is basically a dungeon crawl in a desert ruin. The NPCs are mostly mooks, and the only one with a name is dead for adventure-hook reasons. Honestly, part of the appeal was the minimal need for NPC personalities. Baby steps, you know. :smallredface:

I'll keep that in mind, though. Gotta start the role-play somewhere.

Keep an eye on how much "screen time" each player is getting. If one or two players always the first to say what their characters are doing, then at the next door or event turn to a different player and ask him "What does your character do?" If a player doesn't seem engaged, pick their character as the focus of an event (the NPC talks to them first, the monster goes after them, whatever).

When initiative isn't a factor, solicit plans or actions from everybody before you start rolling dice and determining outcomes. This can help avoid situations where players inadvertently step on each others toes.

I'm hoping that encouraging the players to take the initiative will help take some of the load off of me.

Fighter - Dude, I just died! Why didn't you check for traps?
Rogue - I was going to, but you just ran into the room.
Fighter - You never said!
Rogue - I didn't get a chance!

:smallamused:
I don't think it'll be that bad, but you never know.

-----

Funny, the more advice I read the more I start to think that I'm more ready for this than I give myself credit for. I guess I'm just overthinking it.

Thanks, guys. :smallsmile:

Just_Ice
2010-03-12, 03:59 PM
Railroading isn't always Very Bad.

Depends on your players.

Stubbed Tongue
2010-03-12, 05:19 PM
Hey Nate the Snake you are welcome to come over here and join in on this thread.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145060

Also feel free to send me a PM with questions I will help you out(time permitting).