PDA

View Full Version : Giovanni Chronicles - group 1

Calenestel
2010-03-12, 04:12 AM
This is the IC thread for Giovanni Chronicles, group 1.
OOC thread found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145102).

April 3 AD 1444

A roaring hearth fire banishes the night's chill and gloom from the spacious common room in the Red Lamb Inn in the Carpathian wilderness near the manse of Claudius Giovanni, the powerful venetian merchant you've all been invited by for a great feast.
At the moment the inn lies almost empty. Only the innkeeper, a maid, a young soldier sitting by the hearth, a monk in brown robes mumbling into his mug at a table in the centre of the room and an old beggar woman sitting at the door is present in a room spacious enough to accomodate two score patrons.

A quick explanation. Each one of you, regardless of social standing, have been invited by lord Claudius Giovanni, one of the most influential members of the Giovanni merhcant family to a party.

The Giovanni are, among the citizens and nobles of Venetia, said to be so powerful that even the Doge tread carefully among them. Darker rumors still have at times been whispered by the envious or foolish. That their power stems not only from their riches but from the Dark Arts as well.

Anyone coming from Italy know about the Giovanni. Anyone coming from Venice knows that the Doge himself listens to the family and that they are immensly rich.
Those who have an ear towards the ground in Venice might have picked up the last rumor. Always told in hushed voices and with constant looks over the speakers' shoulders. It is a dangerous rumor whether it is true or not.

Devilcandy
2010-03-12, 06:19 AM
Camilla enters, a dark brown wool scarf wrapped around her head and shoulders to protect against the night chill. She lets it fall down around her shoulders when she's inside, though her braided hair is still modestly covered with a thinner cloth. The young woman has obviously dressed her best, but it is just as obvious that her best isn't really the sort of clothing you'd expect in Claudius Giovanni's circles. It's clean and of good quality cloth though.

She glances around, looking hesitant and unsure. After a while she quickly strides through the room to a table by the hearth on the opposite side from the soldier. She sits down with her back to the wall and waits, casting questioning glances around the room. Odd that it's so empty, she thinks. And what am I doing here?

Bloodcookie
2010-03-12, 03:02 PM
Vavrinec pauses for a moment outside the inn's front door, adjusting his overlarge hat and squaring his shoulders before striding in... to a practically deserted foyer. Somewhat disappointed at having wasted an entrance, with an agitated exhalation he approaches the man he takes to be the proprietor.

Good evening. My name is Vavrinec Nemecek; I am expected at a reception by the Lord Claudius Giovanni - I trust he left some word with you? Vavrinec asks, trying to sound confident while at the same time hoping he hasn't wandered into the wrong inn.

Kalirren
2010-03-12, 03:24 PM
The door swung open, and in walked a middle-aged man. He was well-dressed, well-built, and wore shoes as impressively pointed as his nose. He doffed his hat upon entering, and held the door briefly for his companions before moving on to talk with the innkeeper.

Following him in was a younger woman, rather simply yet elegantly dressed, perhaps the man's wife, who was talking to a scholar who appeared only a few years her senior. The top of his head appeared tonsured, but he wasn't wearing the rest of a monk's outfit. They were conversing in Italian:

"...The Giovanni! All the way here out east! Imagine that!" Her voice became hushed. She and leaned in close. "Now I admit, I really have no idea how the Giovannis would have taken note of my husband," she began, "but I hope, and I hope I do not hope in vain, that some arrangement will come of it. Zoltan was so pleased when he received the invitation, you know?" She turned to look at her husband, who was asking for directions and getting somewhat confused. "He spent an entire day talking with the family about it. I'd never seen him so ...roused... before."

Her brown eyes vaguely scanned the hall, lingering on the fire in a way that betrayed that she really wouldn't have minded staying a while. "I think this might be his big chance," she remarked, "a chance to really change everything. A solid deal with the Giovannis and we'd have our feet in Venice. Imagine what my father would say...!"

Sensing her companion had become slightly bored with that line of conversation, she tried to switch gears. "Pietro, in your travels, did you ever go back to Venice?"

Devilcandy
2010-03-12, 03:39 PM
As more people enters, Camilla straightens up. She looks intently at Vavrinec, listening carefully to his conversation with the innkeeper. The woman doesn't move to acknowledge that she too has recieved an invitation, though, much prefering to first hear what answer the innkeeper gives the stranger.

She glances briefly at the woman and the tonsured man, frowning as she ponders if it's somehow her aunt the abbess that has been the cause of her invite. Then she looks back at Vavrinec again, eyeing his hat. The tanned woman's expression turns rather prim, her hands held modestly in her lap and her back ramrod straight. You heard all sorts of rumours about the wealthy.

Calenestel
2010-03-12, 04:40 PM
At Camilla's entrance the maid stops cleaning the perfectly well kept tables for a brief conversation with the man who quite obviously is the innkeeper, while eyeing the newcomer. After reaching some accord she hurries over and makes a quick curtsy. While Camilla might not be nobility her invitation itself is enough to warrant a certain amount of respect, it would seem. It would also seem that the staff of the Red Lamb had been told to expect the guests. "Good evening, miss. My name is Maria, can I help you?"

At that time Vavrinec makes his grand entrance and while the maid is busy the innkeeper himself comes to greet him. Bobbing a quick bow. "Ar, good sir. We've been expecting you, we 'ave. Sir Lothar, 'e came by not long afore you and told us to keep open, even after nightfall, 'e did."

At the mention of the Giovanni several of the other guests looks up at the newcomers: the young man by the hearth with obvious interest and the old monk with agitated concern. The old beggar woman by the door, though doesn't seem to give them more than an extra eye at the mention of the powerful family before turning back to her cup of hot broth which she seem to mostly use to warm her old, crooked hands.

Devilcandy
2010-03-12, 05:50 PM
Camilla turns her gaze from Vavrinec and gives the maid a smile.
"I'd love something hot to drink, whatever you have."
She lowers her voice, glancing at the soldier seated nearby before asking Maria:
"Our host... is he near? Have you met him?"

Bloodcookie
2010-03-13, 08:26 PM
Ah, very good of you, my man; your hospitality is much appreciated. Might it extend to offering a fortified draught to take the chill off? Vavrinec replies to the innkeeper, flashing an amiable grin.

Calenestel
2010-03-14, 05:25 AM
The maid bobs her head quickly when Camilla asks for something hot to drink and opens her mouth to respond. But when asked about lord Giovanni the girl quickly closes her mouth, paling slightly. "It's not my place to have opinions about my betters, miss. And that's that. Master Sigismund might have something to tell you, but I know little and can tell you less." Sigismund in question seem to be the innkeeper, considering the quick glance the maid shoots him over her shoulder. Afterwards she pauses for a second, seeming to collect herself before resuming her duties.
"Now, for drink we have hot broth, warm milk and we could mull some wine for you quickly enough. Is any of that in your liking, miss?"

---

The innkeep nods vigorously and seem pleased with Vavrinec's compliment. It seems that the guests of lord Claudius are equivalent of nobility to the man. Or at least not far of. "Ar, good sir. Might mulled wine be to yer likin'? We can whip some up in a 'urry, we can."

Devilcandy
2010-03-14, 12:36 PM
"Hot broth sounds lovely. Thank you." Camilla smiles at the maid again, hoping to put her at ease as she notices the colour draining from the other woman's cheeks. Then the farmwoman leans back again, returning to watching the other guests of the tavern.

Bloodcookie
2010-03-14, 05:03 PM
A bit of mulled wine would be perfect, Vavrinec says, pressing a fractional silver piece into the innkeep's palm as he turns to take in the room and its few patrons. He offers a slight smile and nod in greeting to any who happen to catch his eye, as he wonders who among them might also be guests of the Giovanni. And with such an eclectic mix, what might the Venetians have in mind?

Calenestel
2010-03-16, 05:16 PM
"Oh... No need for that, good sir. All is payed for in advance, it is. So don't ye worry about that now. I'll be back in a jiffy, I will."

Both the innkeeper and the maid work quickly and efficiently and quickly enough you are both served what you ordered. At that time two other guests arrive. One is a young, rather pretty woman with long dark hair and simple sturdy clothes that indicate a somewhat well-to-do farmer or a moderately succesfull craftswoman. She seem shy and to have nothing to do with the man that arrives at the same time. He is a soldier -probably a mercenary, by the look of his clothes- short and wiry, with a mop of curly black hair and dusky skin it would seem that he is of greek stock, or possibly from even farther away. He dresses in dark clothes and carries a longsword by his side in a well kept scabbard.

The old beggar woman seem not to notice, and the brown robed monk gives them no more interest that what he gives you. But the soldier, close to Camilla hesitates. He has been eyeing her since she mentioned the Giovanni and seemed on the verge of speaking to her just before. And after his short hesitation he still does. He stands up, walks the few steps between their respective tables with a slight limp, and clears his throat softly. "Excuse me, milady... Might I have a word?"

Devilcandy
2010-03-16, 05:43 PM
Camilla startles as the soldier approaches her, and her eyes widen momentarily in surprise or worry. A soldier talking to her in a tavern, and her husband nowhere near... but then again, she's used to taking care of herself, and the soldier seems well mannered enough. The woman eyes him carefully* and nods.
"I suppose you might, good sir. What about?"

Straightening up and gathering her shawl closer around her shoulders, she makes a little gesture toward the chair on the opposite side of the table from her.

I roll Perception and Empathy to try and guess the soldier's mood/intentions. Let's see if this diceroller works... http://sheetgen.dalines.net/wiki/WikiDiceRoller?hash=9cfa115a Zero successes, one 1 so I guess that's a botch if I remember correctly.

Calenestel
2010-03-16, 05:50 PM
@Camilla: While his motives is unclear for you he doesn't seem to mean you any harm or bear you any ill. While still standing he continues.

"I'm, Paul, a soldier, recently back from János Hunyady's crusade against the turks. I wonder... are you really going to lord Giovanni's manse? As a guest?"

No, no botch. You had one succes, cancelled out by the one. So it's a simple failure.

Devilcandy
2010-03-17, 06:57 AM
Camilla's cheeks redden. With a self-conscious tug on her shawl, she raises her cheek and looks Paul in the eye - not quite a glare, but his question did strike her the wrong way. What, she was so shabby that even complete strangers made it their business to question her invitation?
"Yes. I am. What is that to you, soldier Paul? Are you also invited?"

Calenestel
2010-03-17, 01:03 PM
"Me? I sorely wish I was, milady... But no. So I would ask for your help." The young man leans forward slightly, not trying to intimidate Camilla, but out of eagerness. "I was wounded in battle, lady. Badly. With God's good grace I healed, and I didn't loose my leg. But I'll never walk or run as well as I once did. I have no learning, nor skills, at farming, nor a trade. I know no other life than soldiering, and I cannot travel on long marches. I am told Lord Giovanni is hiring many men. If he will not have me, I know not where to turn. If you... If you could talk to that sir Lothar when he comes to collect you, I'd be forever in your debt."

Devilcandy
2010-03-17, 03:12 PM
She softens visibly, her green eyes warming and her mouth not so tense anymore. Oh, the poor man... It must be awful, not knowing how to support oneself. Camilla gives him a small smile, and reaches out to pat his hand.
"Well, I'm sure God saved you for a reason, soldier Paul. I'll talk to this Lothar for you."
She eyes him once more, raising her eyebrows slightly.
"And if that doesn't work out, there are plenty of farms hereabout and there's always plenty of work to do in springtime. If you're willing to do the work, I could surely find you a place even if you don't know the trade."

Glancing over Paul's shoulder, she tries to catch a glimpse of the other new arrivals. The curly haired man's easy familiarity with the longsword by his side makes her a bit wary.

Bloodcookie
2010-03-18, 07:09 PM
Wine in hand, Vavrinec casually meanders closer to the bulk of the Inn's assembled patrons (and within earshot of any not-too-quiet conversations). Rather curious as to what has called a member of one of the holy orders away from his monastery, he addresses the solitary monk in Latin. Salvete, frater, he says with a slight bow. Traveling on Church business?

Calenestel
2010-03-19, 12:52 AM
Camilla:
Paul's slightly crestfallen look lightens considerably when Camilla promises to speak on his behalf and he makes a jerky but adequate bow towards her. "Thank you, milady. I shan't forget it and I'll be forever in your debt." With a smile on his face he turns to return to his own table and what's left of his meal.

Vavrinec:
The monk looks up at Vavrinec when he's spoken to. "Listen to me, brother. An evilhas entered Christendom from the lands to the south. An ill wind from the land of the heathen. Know ye the wind I mean?" There is a urgent tone to his voice and light in his voice that borders on the maniacal. The monk seem stable enough, but passionate as to approach the borders of sanity. And doesn't wait for Vavrinec to reply to his first question. "It is the wind of the Devil. Tell me: what know ye of your host?"

Kalirren
2010-03-19, 02:58 PM
After a short while, the well-dressed man went back and dragged his wife off slightly to the side. “We’re to wait here,” he remarked, with a slightly displeased but well moderated grimace on his face. “Apparently someone’s going to pick you two up and whisk you off to the Mansion of Mystery.” He rolled his eyes. “And yes, I can’t come. Are you sure you’ll be fine by yourself, Laura?” he asked. “Relax, Zoltan,” responded Laura. “I’m sure he just wants to know something about you before he deals with you face to face, that’s all. They say the best way to know a man is through his family, and I’m sure I’ll meet his.”

Zoltan laughed. “Well, don’t give too much away, then.” He gave a short shrug. “All right, I think I’ll wait for this Sir Lothar, or whomever it is that Signor Giovanni sends out, before heading back to town. I have to know when I should be expecting you back. Besides, if I can’t meet the Signor personally, then at least I want someone in his household to have seen me, recognize my face.”

“Are you sure you’ll be fine with this?” she asked. “Oh, absolutely,” came his response. “Better that you meet him than that neither of us do.” He sounded reluctant about that, and gave the door a wary glance as he said it. “Besides, I trust you.” A shudder ran down Laura’s back. “I’ll be fine waiting. You should meet the other guests,” he insisted. "An odd group, this. I’ve never really understood…Italians.” Laura gave him a look at that one. Zoltan mischievously shrugged, pulled up a chair and sat himself down.

Laura sighed. Well, that was that. Time to mingle now. Zoltan and Laura were already fairly close to the central table, where Vavrinec and the monk seemed to be starting a conversation in Latin. She approached, and when there seemed to be a suitable pause, in Italian she interjected, “Pardon me, are you here to meet Signor Giovanni too?”

Bloodcookie
2010-03-19, 03:01 PM
A bit taken aback by the monk's words, Vavrinec proceeds cautiously.
Well, I know the Giovanni are one of the most successful merchant clans of Italy, presumably with all the worldly influence that wealth generally entails... he says with a shrug. But... your words imply knowledge beyond my own.

[Edit, in response to Laura:]
Indeed I am, Vavrinec replies carefully. As will you and... your entourage?

Calenestel
2010-03-20, 06:23 AM
The monk opens his mouth to say something to Vavrinec when Laura interrupts. Her question, and her tone showing that she sees nothing problematic in their invitation seem to upset him greatly and at first he has trouble finding the right words. But quick enough he spits out: "I most surely am NOT! Tomorrow ye enter into the abode of Evil! Shun it! Reject it! Cast it out!Go ye not! Claudius Giovanni (and at that he spits at the floor, well away of the two) is the very Devil incarnate!" The monks tone becomes increasingly agitated the more he speaks about lord Giovanni to the point where he seems quite insane. There's a small speck of spit in the corner at his mouth and an almost mad gleam in his eyes.

Devilcandy
2010-03-20, 06:52 AM
((I assume the conversation is in Italian)).

Camilla gasps as the monk spits and rages about lord Giovanni. She gathers her shawl tighter around herself and presses her back toward the wall, eyes widening. God in Heaven! Sure, one heard things about the nobles, but this monk seemed to have something darker than even the usual rumours in mind. Maybe she'd better hide away... but then again, if she refused his summons... Images of her family come to mind, and the farmwoman clenches her jaw. Clutching her cup of hot broth, she sits in determined silence, keeping a nervous eye on the furious monk and the - in her mind - noble people talking to him.

Bloodcookie
2010-03-20, 05:51 PM
Brother, please! Vavrinec says in a sharp whisper, looking around to see how much attention the monk's outburst has attracted. Calm yourself. As I'm sure you understand, there are times when we all must put ourselves before wicked forces on this earth, he says placatingly, attempting to maneuver the conversation to his advantage by feigning to take the monk's point of view. Perhaps you might gird us with your knowledge of those we will face?

Kalirren
2010-03-22, 11:38 AM
"As will you and your ... entourage?"

"No," Laura replied, "only I and the good friar are coming, upon the Signor's insistence." With a lift of the hand, Laura indicated the door where Friar Pietro still was. "We were both invited, alone and separately." Laura gave Vavrinec a look, checking to see if his understanding seemed to be the same as hers.

Perhaps you will gird us with the knowledge of those we will face?

"Yes, please do," added Laura. Having barely joined the conversation, Laura seemed just about ready to give up on it, but it was a mark of gentility to offer the raving monk at least some benefit of the doubt. "Just to whom does the Signor Giovanni extend his hospitality whose company you find so repulsive? Heretics? Mahommedans?"

Calenestel
2010-03-23, 04:30 PM
"NO! If ye will use what I know of Claudius Giovanni (Spit) only for a meeting with him I shan't help ye! Go ye not! He is a devil in disguise, a fiend who corrupts all who come near! He consorts with turks, whores and fiends! Every night unholy rituals are made to the great Satan, where infants, children, men and women are given as sacrifices to the Beast and where the Devil is raised in a mockery of the Last Supper! Stay ye away!"
The monk continues to ramble on in some length about the depravities of lord Giovanni, and everytime he, or anyone else, mentions his name the monk spits on the floor, away from the others. That he vowed not to tell them anything doesn't seem to cross his mind again.

The other who were in the common room before the Giovanni's guests arrived seem not to take any notice of the mad monk. The soldier Paul studiously ignores him, the innkeep rolls his eyes and continues with what duties he has and the old beggar woman by the door smiles a crooked smile when he gets loud but otherwise seem to notice nothing. They all seem quite used to him by now.

Bloodcookie
2010-03-23, 08:04 PM
...yes, it's always something like that, isn't it... Vavrinec mutters under his breath as he turns away from the mad monk, and, lightly placing a hand on Laura's shoulder, casually steps toward the hearth, leaving the clergyman to his... exposition. He turns to her, bowing slightly, and says, Ah, but I've failed to introduce myself properly - my name is Vavrinec Nemecek, of Prague. And how may I address you, madame?

Kalirren
2010-03-24, 01:46 PM
Laura let Vavrinec conveniently lead her away. She half expected Pietro to take up the conversation with the monk; that -was- his domain, as one man of the cloth to another. He would certainly be able to make more sense of the mad brother than she would.

Dealing with Vavrinec, on the other hand, was her domain. "My name is Laura Farkas," she replied, with an equally mild courtesy. "I'm from Durazzo." With a nod she indicated Zoltan, who was settling into his corner with a cup of warm milk. "That's my husband, Zoltan. We still reside in Durazzo, but he was worried about the new campaign season, so we left to stay with my husband's family in Beograd until things blew over."

Devilcandy
2010-03-29, 11:34 AM
Trying to calm down a bit, Camilla turns her attention to the couple that now sat down near the hearth, as she already had done. So they were invited too... She listens to Laura and nods slightly to herself. The farmwoman doesn't understand what she means with campaign season, but she well understand about family and about keeping one's head low. Keeping her gaze averted, she sips the hot broth and feels it warming her from the inside and out. In lieu of a feeling of safety, the warmth is welcome.

Kalirren
2010-04-04, 03:45 PM
"Oh, you haven't heard?" continued Laura, sensing that Vavrinec might be unaware of recent events. "The Christian leaders of Albania have declared a holy war against the Turks. My husband and I were among the first to leave. Safety was our first priority," She swiveled her eyes briefly towards the fire and took a warm breath in, folding her right hand over her left arm as she turned again to speak to the Bohemian. "And what brings as a fine gentleman as yourself from Prague?"

Bloodcookie
2010-04-05, 07:32 PM
Vavrinec nods curtly. Mm, yes - wise of you to relocate for the time being. Enduring the privations of a potential retaliatory siege would be unpleasant, I'm sure. As for myself, he smiles, I am but a humble civil servant, negotiating with parties abroad on behalf of my countrymen. I can only assume that my invitation from the Italians stems from some business interest of theirs in Bohemia.

Kalirren
2010-04-06, 11:13 PM
Laura nodded in agreement. "We Farkas know people who deal in grain," she added, "and armies have to eat, after all. If hostilities break out over the summer, there will be a local shortage in winter. It's unsurprising that the Signor wants to meet influential people here out east, but I suspect he may be looking to profit from the war situation," she commented, trying to make conversation. "And if, as the Brother suggests, the Giovannis deal with Turks, then the Signor will stand well regardless of the military outcome." Laura shook her head and turned back towards the fire. "But what do I know? I'm just a woman. War is mens' business." It was clear that while she was prepared to engage in that conversation, she took no pleasure in it.

Bloodcookie
2010-04-08, 07:19 PM
Ah, well, I suppose we all have our appointed parts to play in the great chain of being, Vavrinec says with apparent gravity, before lifting his mug to take a swig of wine, shooting Laura a conspiratorial wink over the rim.

Calenestel
2010-04-23, 02:26 PM
As dusk slowly slips into a dark night more and more of the guests arrive and the common room start to seem both crowded and cheerful indeed. In ones and twos the other guests arrive until the full number comes to twelve and only one is missing, or so the innkeep seem to think.
There is one more fighting men: a huge german with a wild, blonde beard, clothed in muted browns and greys and a huge sword he carries slung to his shoulder like it was a spear;
one noblewomen and three noblemen, the woman seems to come from southern Italy or Sicily except for her deep blue eyes, she is richly dressed in reds and yellows with decent jewelry even when she just gets of her horse but her dress might be just a tad too risqué, oddly enough she seem to travel alone, the men are a foppish boy in his late teens in luxurious clothes armed with a very modern rapier, a rather aged, scholarly looking englishman in dark blue robes and sporting a neatly trimmed, grey beard and lastly a sullen man, tall and broadshouldered, pale and blonde carrying clothes of good quality but worn with travels and a rather antiquated longsword;
and lastly another craftswoman, a short spanishwoman with long, curly hair and dark eyes dressed in a sensible dress of grey and green.

The mad monk does several attempts to sway other of the guests to his way of thinking but with no apparent success. The spanish woman has a short, lowvoiced conversation with the beggar woman by the door but none of the other seem to even notice her presence. The soldier Paul finally sits content by the fire, shooting Camilla the occasional grateful glance, but makes no more efforts of putting his case in front of other of the guests - he seem to trust her fully.

Out Of Character:
I'll wait for our newest addition to present her character and then we'll move the plot on a little. Just so you know.

Kalirren
2010-04-29, 09:59 PM
(OOC: just a quickie post to help move things along. Been busy with finals these couple of days.)

"Right," parried Laura with a smile. The friar Pietro sometimes talked about that idea, more often with a roll of the eye than without. She gave one just then too, as if to admit her ruse was broken. "I know we're safe here, away from it all. That's what's important. I pray my brothers will be safe too." With a shrug, "I guess that makes me the lucky one?"

As more guests arrived, sure enough, Laura started counting...Who knows? Perhaps there actually -would- be thirteen guests, in a mockery of the Last Supper, just as the mad monk was so insistently blathering...and she should be meeting more of them, in any case. But she was having trouble bringing herself to do it. It was fortunate that she'd had an opportunity to break the ice with Vavrinec. She couldn't count on anyone to introduce her to the other noblemen...

Or was one of them a woman? Laura squinted to make her out. Yes, she was...she wore her hair like an Italian. The reds and yellows she was wearing suggested she might even be Venetian; Laura herself always wore some red for Venice. Perhaps she was some other acquaintance of the Lord's. It might be good to know her, Laura thought. Laura rose from her seat, leaving her milk, and approached the newcomer. She tried, "Hello, do you speak Italian? I'm Laura. How do you do?"

Calenestel
2010-05-02, 04:22 AM
"A pleasure, Laura. A pleasure indeed. I am Sabina. Are you perchance a guest of Lord Giovanni as well?" Looking around her Sabina wrinkles her nose at the sight of some of the guests assembled, obviously finding several to be beneath her. Still she is amiable enough towards Laura, whom she seem to find a peer, more or less. "It's hard to tell with the elements of... riff-raff present. Present company excluded, of course." Her dialect would seem to indicate that she is venetian, but it's faint, as if she has been hiding it a lot.

OOC:
Sorry for the delays. Real life seem to get in the way quite a lot right now.
Perception + Empathy as well, standard difficulty.

Kalirren
2010-05-04, 10:47 PM
OOC:

Perception (2) + Empathy (3): [roll0] And that's a botch! This campaign is off to a great start.

"Yes, I am, and so is Vavrinec, that man who's sitting over there." Laura didn't want to get involved in a class catfight. "He also speaks Italian, actually. Perhaps you should make his acquaintance." "But it's so nice to see another Italian out here that I plan on keeping your company to myself for a while, if you don't mind," Laura adventured with a smile. "I've never met Lord Giovanni before, have you?"

Bloodcookie
2010-05-05, 08:22 PM
Coming out of his reverie by the fire upon hearing his name mentioned, Vavrinec briefly turns to the ladies' conversation and silently raises his cup with a nod and a smile to greet the newcomer.
His eyes play over the room, taking in the other new arrivals, before returning to the hearth; his demeanor has been growing steadily more pensive over the course of the evening, as the expected hour draws nearer.

LongVin
2010-05-09, 10:29 PM
Dr. Marcello Ipato

The good doctor swings the door open to the inn and strides in. He was late, an unfortunate inconvenience. He was waiting for one of his usual suppliers of bodies who had shown up late thus making the doctor late to this important meeting.

Hopefully, Lord Giovanni would understand this lateness and unforseen tardiness on the part of the Doctor as no sign of disrespect but a matter of plebians being unable to perform their jobs correctly.

In his doctor's robes and with a longsword hanging from his belt he approaches the bar and gets the attention of the bar keeper "Barman, A glass of wine." He throws a ducat onto the bar top.

Calenestel
2010-05-19, 02:29 AM
The innkeep looks slightly surprised at the last guests odd appearance, his eyes going repeatedly to the sword as if not believing what he sees. Obviously he finds the combination of a doctor's attire and a such a weapon a strange one. Still he obeys quickly enough, serving his newest patron himself, and then go about his business without bothering Marcello further.

-----------------------------------------

The sun has now set completely and the first stars appeared. Most of the guests have settled into an easy atmosphere of low voiced conversations in whatever company they have seemed to find themselves in (even if there is the obvious difference between aristocracy and the common folk), most have finished their meals. Suddenly the doors open yet again to let in new arrivals and four men enter. The first two are armed guards bearing lord Giovanni's crest, they are burly men who seem to know how to handle the swords they carry. After them comes a finely dressed man, slightly built and with aristocratic features marred by a deep scar running over the right side of his face from hairline to cheek, his dark hair is cut short and his brown eyes seem to take the whole scene in with just a glance. The last is a ruddy-faced young man with a coachman's leather clothes and a big, wooden cross hanging from a cord around his neck. The guards stay by the door, one with a hand on the hilt of his sword, while the other two steps forward.

After a second look at the assembled patrons, where he seem to pay extra attention to each of the Invited, the finely dressed man makes the slightest of bows towards them. "I am sir Lothar, steward to Lord Giovanni. I am he who, by my Lord's orders, selected the thirteen of you from among all the great masses of folk to meet the Lord. This is Roderigo. He is the head coachman, whose duty it is to bring you all to the Lord's manse on the morrow." At that last part he gestures dismissively towards the leatherclad younger man one step behind him.

Kalirren
2010-05-20, 02:31 AM
At the sight of the Laura's eyes instinctively found her husband's, who immediately got up and straightened out his overcoat. The two of them quickly took place by each others' side as Lothar spoke.

"Sir Lothar," responded Zoltan with confidence and comfort once the steward was finished, "I'm Farkas Zoltan, of Beograd and Durazzo. This is my wife Laura." Laura stepped forward just enough to take the conversation from her husband. "Sir Lothar, it's an honor to make your acquaintance at last. The hospitality you have arranged for us has been most welcoming."

Devilcandy
2010-05-20, 02:38 AM
Camilla pales, now that the moment is here. She stands up, protectively gathering her shawl around her, but keeps the table between her and the others. The farmer woman is nowhere near as confident as Laura, and only watches her with mingled admiration and distrust when she greets Lothar.

Glancing at Paul, Camilla gives the soldier a slight nod to assure him she'll remember to talk to Lothar about him. Looking back at the scarred man, she's not sure when or how, but well... surely there'd be a more private time tomorrow. Not too private though, she thinks. That'd be inappropriate.

Stifling a yawn, she gives Vavrinec a furtive look to see if he notices her impoliteness. Ah, stuff it. She sits down again, deciding to find someplace to sleep as soon as possible.

Bloodcookie
2010-05-20, 08:27 AM
The uncertainty of waiting finally relieved, Vavrinec stands and returns Lothar's bow in greeting. You honor us with your esteem, noble sir.
Now, he wonders, still smiling congenially, what does your master want?

Calenestel
2010-05-23, 01:24 AM
Not answering Zoltan's greeting directly Lothar instead moves to the nearest of the guests, the mercenary-looking fighting man with the blonde beard. The steward of lord Giovanni takes the german's hand as if to shake it, but he holds it slightly longer than what is comfortable, or appropriate. When the big soldier opens his mouth, obviously to protest, he is silenced with a glance. "Welcome to Lord Giovanni's holdings. I am pleased you have graced us with your company. I hope your stay is an agreeable and memorable one." the steward says. And as he speaks he raises the blonde man's hand to his nose, as if sniffing for something. This is repeated with slight variations as he moves from invited guest to guest. Any woman's hand is held even longer than the men's. He is certainly sniffing for something, you notice, and when greeting Laura personally he even licks her hand quickly, at the base of the thumb. He does not give a mad impression, seeming completely collected and aware of his actions, but neither does he seem to think his behaviour odd.
So confident is he, though, and so strong of personality that none of the other guests seem able to protest. His grip is firm and overwhelmingly strong as well, making you feel that any effort to pull away would be futile.
Zoltan is given only a curt nod.

After greeting the thirteenth guest, the craftswoman first to arrive except for some of you whom he gives that same quick lick that he gave Laura, Lothar turns toward the assembly again. "It is good that you are all assembled. Our Lord is eagerly anticipating the joy of serving you tomorrow. Your are most fortunate to have captured his attention. This is a day that your loved ones will long remember. Now... If any of you, lucky Chosen has questions for me I suggest you make your case now. I will soon return with haste to my Lord's manse, leaving you in the capable hands of Roderigo.

OOC:
Everyone, roll Perception+Awareness or Intelligence+Alertness.
Devilcandy, it would seem that sir Lothar is a busy man and won't be around for you to speak with long. If Paul shall have a chance to be hired soon you need to speak up now or in the very near future. :smallbiggrin:

Kalirren
2010-05-23, 02:28 AM
Initially, Laura had made no offer of her own person to Sir Lothar, for she had not thought herself of such standing, but neither did she think herself in the position to refuse him, so when Sir Lothar sought first to grasp her hand, Laura let him take it from her skirt. Only in Laura's subconscious did it occur to her that something wasn't quite right, and quicker than her own wits allowed her to respond she felt first the movement of air and then the steward's tongue glisten over the surface of her skin. Instinctively she tried to pull away and failed.

Lothar left Laura in a gasp. Zoltan's eyebrows too went wide, and his mouth was opened as if to protest; yet somehow he barely managed (or chose) to suppress himself when he was given his nod. As Sir Lothar continued with his round, Laura gradually came to repossess her own hand, the one Sir Lothar'd ...licked... and protectively buried it in her husband's warm side. Her weight, too, shifted over to lean on the arm that Zoltan was giving her, the one that was still ending in a half-formed fist.

Good Lord, that was disturbing, if not outright depraved.

If any of you, lucky Chosen has questions for me I suggest you make your case now. I will soon return with haste to my Lord's manse, leaving you in the capable hands of Roderigo.

Zoltan nudged Laura. "Ask him, quickly," he reminded her in a hush. Protested Laura, "I..." But Zoltan shrugged, and then shook his head, and Laura understood his point. Lothar hadn't verbally acknowledged him at all.

Forcibly sighing herself out of her astonishment, Laura did her best to fix her gaze on Sir Lothar, and asked in what eventually came out as a rather plaintive tone, "My good Sir, when shall we expect to return, on the evening or the morrow after? My husband wishes to arrange for his own accommodation."

Devilcandy
2010-05-23, 05:35 AM
No successes for Camilla. http://sheetgen.dalines.net/wiki/WikiDiceRoller?hash=cadfb547

Determined to do her best to help the young soldier, Camilla stands up and moves out on the floor - not to the center, but standing a bit to the side. She doesn't say anything right away, but readies herself to talk to Lothar once he's answered Laura.

Bloodcookie
2010-05-24, 09:06 AM
intelligence+alertness: [roll0]

As Lothar makes his way interminably from guest to guest, Vavrinec's initial shock at his behavior gradually turns to confusion, and finally simple curiosity.
What is he... is he checking for poison? he wonders.
When his own turn comes, Vavrinec considers asking the Giovanni henchman if everything is alright, but decides at the last moment to hold his tongue and just observe.

LongVin
2010-05-24, 02:16 PM
Marcello Ipato

rolls:[roll0]

"Would you mind me asking what exactly is the reason that Lord Giovanni has summoned us?" Questions the doctor as he appraises the men sent by Giovanni.

LongVin
2010-05-24, 02:18 PM
Rolls:
damn it. Screwed up my rolls.

1d10+1d10+1d10+1d10+1d10+1d10

LongVin
2010-05-24, 02:19 PM
UGH! Again:

[/roll]1d10[/roll]
[/roll]1d10[/roll]
[/roll]1d10[/roll]
[/roll]1d10[/roll]
[/roll]1d10[/roll]
[/roll]1d10[/roll]

LongVin
2010-05-24, 02:20 PM
Wow...I am bad. Sorry about this.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Calenestel
2010-05-26, 06:27 AM
The other guests seem either to scared or too careful not to give an impression of ignorance that noone else actually approaches sir Lothar, thus Laura is the first to speak up and Lothar turns towards her, listening to her question. "My Lord's manse lies almost a whole day of travel away with no lodgings worth mentioning on the way and the feast tomorrow night will undoubtedly keep you from traveling at all the day after that. If your husband wishes to wait for your return he may do so here for three days at my Lord's expense. The same goes for all your retinues, sirs and madams." That last part he adds with a little more force, making sure that noone would miss the message.

Looking to the doctor the steward furrow his brows slightly at the question. "My Lord deigns to give you a feast few, if any, of you will ever have seen. Was that not stated clear enough in the invitation sent to you, lord Ipato?"

Finally he then notices that Camilla has approached him, but without speaking up and with some impatience he snaps his gaze to her. "Yes, mistress Camilla, what can I do for you?"

Marcello Ipato
You recognize the steward. Sure of that you have seen the fellow somewhere you studies him as he talks and finally, just as he turns to speak to Camilla you remember. You HAVE seen him before, that almost condescending way he looks on the woman makes it clear to you. He passed through your hometown not long ago and made quite a lot of enemies by his haughty ways.

OOC (all):
I edited my previous post slightly. I forgot one of Lothar's lines. It doesn't matter much but since I CAN add stuff later in this medium... :smallbiggrin:

Oh, and Devilcandy. I'll want a dice roll for your effort on Pauls behalf. But it depends on how you go about it. So give a short description on how and what stats you yourself would prefer to use on the OOC thread so that I can make a decision about it.

Devilcandy
2010-05-27, 10:57 AM
Camilla had just been about to speak, when Lothar snapped at her and made her flustered. She fumbles for words, makes a quick, respectful half-curtsey and keeps her eyes demurely lowered.

"Sir, I met a man today whom I promised to help. He is not a farmer, or I'd have taken him on myself at our farm, but a soldier. I promised I'd tell you of him, for when next you hire men." She makes a slight gesture toward Paul.

Calenestel
2010-06-04, 01:19 PM
The steward listens to Camillas request without showing at all what he thinks about it. After that he waves her away and motions for Paul to come forward. When the crippled soldier has limped over to him he first studies him intently for a couple of seconds. After that he nods slightly and takes the man aside slightly. After a quick discussion Lothar raises his voice so that Camilla might hear as well:"If you wish to serve my Lord as his loyal soldier then go, in silence, and gather your belongings and be ready to travel with me when I leave. Move."
Paul gives the lot of you a very grateful glance, but he dares not to say a word as he hurries of outside. Still, his relief could almost be felt from across the room.

But...

When sir Lothar entered the common room the Brother Clement had paled considerably. But apparently out of anger, not fear. The more the steward of Lord Giovanni had spoken, the longer he had staid, the more the monk had started to shake, his fist clenched and his face contorted with wrath. Suddenly he flies up from his bench, even climbs up on it. Pointing straight at sir Lothar he yells: "Evil! EVIL INCARNATE! Lothar is but a toady and a bootlick to the devil Claudius Giovanni!" He spits on the floor. "I warn you good people! Your very souls are in danger! Flee this accursed place!"

Lothar glares at the monk, growling only two words: "Get out."

"Your Hell-born wizardry cannot compel a man of God!" Clement shouts back. "I expose your evil to all the world!"

Lothar, though, simply snorts derisively and mutters: "I need no Hell-born powers, you fool." He motions to his guards who grab the monk and wrestle him to the ground. After that they start to drag him towards the door while he kicks and bites and screams fire-and-brimstone threats at them and their masters.

Bloodcookie
2010-06-04, 08:59 PM
Vavrinec clears his throat in the awkward silence following the old monk's expulsion.
"...heh, yes, I'm afraid the good brother may have been nursing his ale overlong this evening; was he not already here when we arrived?" he says with a nervous laugh, looking to the other guests, as if to reassure himself that the monk's words - and the Giovanni's response - were of no consequence.

LongVin
2010-06-04, 09:16 PM
Dr. Marcello Ipato

Marcello just nods to Lothar in response. He silently appraises the steward. He did not like the man he was scum who had wronged many people and already he was disliking Giovanni for hiring the man on. The Doctor would hold his tongue now, but, knew he would have to say something as a thing of honor if the man showed his true colors.

His thoughts of revenge are quickly interrupted by the screaming monk. Quite odd such an outburst then again the men of the cloth weren't always the most level headed in the world.

Kalirren
2010-06-08, 12:45 PM
Laura gave Vavrinec a slanted look and bit her lip nervously, nodding after a few kicks and screams from the Brother in hopes of deflecting some of the attention from the Bohemian's comment. But when her eyes shifted back towards her friend the friar Pietro, her disapproval was unmitigated. This wasn't the Pietro she knew. Why hadn't he done something? He alone could save the Brother's dignity, and she herself couldn't intercede as long as he didn't. She hated being frozen within someone else's domain like that.

She felt all the worse for Paul. Laura was convinced that Lothar gave him a chance to humor Camilla. In Lothar's position, her own father wouldn't have taken Paul. They would probably hear on the morrow that the Lord Giovanni was displeased with his performance and the poor man might have to limp back to the tavern himself.

All in all, Laura found herself unable to dismiss the notion that something was deeply wrong. She briefly pondered asking Lothar further about why he had chosen to assemble the present company, but realized she didn't want to talk to him at all. She disliked Lothar already; a rather impressive feat, she admitted, upon realizing that she'd have disliked him anyway, even without his disgusting venture of the tongue. And Laura rarely disliked anyone.

Calenestel
2010-06-14, 07:18 AM
Father Pietro had been awfully quiet for a while, actually he had been quiet about every time the mad monk had spoken and twice so now. For those who knew him it was obvious that he was, at the core of it, frightened. There seemed to be something inherently... wrong with the madman, but he was still a brother in Faith. Likewise there seemed to be somthing deeply disturbing about Claudius Giovanni and his steward, and still he was scared to make too much an enemy out of the lord. He had oft heard whispered rumours about the Giovanni that would scare any sane man, and while he didn't fear so much for himself he wouldn't be hardpressed to admit that the power the Giovanni family wielded and how that could influence the Church as well as harm those dear to him scared him beyond words.
Now, though, Laura's reproachful gaze shames him into action. Trembling slightly he steps forward and tries to assume that level of authority that so often have both brats and scallywags running for cover. "Here now! Leave that poor man be. A man of the Cloth deserve your respect. Sir Lothar I really must prote-"

He is cut short by sir Lothar, who nimbly steps in between the two monks, cutting of any paths for Father Pietro to come to Brother Clement's aid. The stewards voice is low and even threatening when he warns the man of: "Lord Giovanni is master in these lands. The monk has transgressed, abused the freedom given by my Lord. Only his position in the holy orders keep him from the lash. I guarantee you, he will not be harmed, only left in the stables to contemplate the error of his ways until the dawn comes. I suggest you take your place among the guests again, father..." He doesn't mention anything about what would happen if Pietro wouldn't heed his warning. But the stare he levels at the monk visibly shakes the priest who blanches and steps back a pace shaking like an aspen leaf. "I... uh... this... this isn't right. It's..."

Just outside the door the two guards have startet to tie the monk up and Father Pietro looks to Laura, for once not having the slightest idea as to how to stop it. The steward's refusal to acknowledge his authority in this matter leaves him no other way than the ridiculous possibility to accost an armed man with physical violence! Which just means that he has no more ways to go at all.

Bloodcookie
2010-06-15, 08:11 AM
Vavrinec appears to be intently studying the wood-grain of a nearby table, pointedly not making eye contact with Lothar, or anyone else. The evening's events have left him feeling shaken and helpless, and he doesn't like it one bit.