PDA

View Full Version : (4e) Help making a Lightning Wizard

Blazen
2010-03-12, 08:55 AM
I am going to be running a campaign for my brother, and some of my friends. My brother, and one of my friends have played D&D before so they made their characters without any restrictions. For the other 2 though, I am making their first characters based on what they want. One of them wants a lightning Wizard, any recommendations. Since they are first time players, I am avoiding Psionics, and Hybrids. I wanna keep things simple for them. Though admittedly If I wanted simple, I should probably give him a different character.

Goonthegoof
2010-03-12, 08:59 AM
Be a wizard, get a lot of lightning powers and feats, take spellstorm mage and storm sovereign.

Aharon
2010-03-12, 09:08 AM
Convert the Lightning Warrior :smallbiggrin:

Sorry, couldn't resist. I agree with Goonthegoof's advice - since you want to keep things simple, that's probably sufficient.

mathewt
2010-03-12, 09:36 AM
If what he really wants is "guy with lightning magic", a storm sorcerer might be easier for a first-timer than a wizard...

AB
2010-03-12, 09:43 AM
Indeed, Sorcerer is less complicated than wizard. But, another point... what`s the problem with psionics? In 4th Edition, it`s just another power source, nothing special...

Artanis
2010-03-12, 10:16 AM
But, another point... what`s the problem with psionics? In 4th Edition, it`s just another power source, nothing special...

As you say, the power source itself is just another power source. The Psionic classes, however, are significant departures from the classes that use other power sources. So by banning psionics, he bans all the classes with "weird" mechanics while not banning any of the more "traditional" classes.

Blazen
2010-03-13, 09:33 AM
1st level psionics effectively gives you 7 starting powers, instead of the 3 starting ones. I don't want him to have to consider which ones will be most effective. I would rather he start a little simpler. Also, I may look into the storm sorc. Hopefully he will except it (most likely).