PDA

View Full Version : Travellers in the playground

Strawberries
2010-03-12, 10:56 AM
One of the greatest joys in my life is traveling. I love to travel, expecially abroad, and I was wondering if anyone here had any stories, tips or plans they wanted to share.

Do you like to travel? Where have you been in your life? Where do you plan to go?

JediSoth
2010-03-12, 11:08 AM
I love traveling, seeing new place, learning about other cultures. Part of it probably comes from having lived in Germany with my parents from 1985 - 1990. To wit, I have been to:
Europe
Germany: Nürnburg, Münich, Berchtesgaden, Rothenberg, Dresden (it was in East Germany at the time), the Sächsische Schweiz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saxon_Switzerland)...
Italy: Florence, Pisa, Venice, Rome, Naples, the isle of Capri
France: Paris, Varsailles, various locations in Normandy, including Mont St. Michelle, St. Mere Elgise, and Pont du Hoc
The Netherlands
Austria
Switzerland

Central America
Mexico: Cancun and Cozumel
The Bahamas
Grand Cayman
Roatan, Honduras

United States
(does not include states I've only driven through or switched airplanes in)
Virginia, Washington D.C., South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama, Mississippi, Missouri, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Nevada, Arizona, California (into San Francisco, down the coast to San Luis Obispo (and Pismo Beach with all the clams I could eat), over to King's Canyon and the Sequoia Nat'l Forest, then up to Lassen, over to Eureka and back to 'Frisco), Ohio, and of course, I live in Indiana.

It would take even longer to list all the sights I've seen. I've seen natural wonders (The Grand Canyon, Yosemite), cerulean seas (The Caribbean), the horrors of man (Dachau), the sacrifice of man (The U.S. Cemetary overlooking Omaha Beach in Normandy), and the wonders of man (Chichen Itza in Mexico).

Morty
2010-03-12, 11:32 AM
I used to dislike travelling, but as I grew older it changed. Outside Poland, I've been to:

- Slovakia, multiple times
- Czech Republic once on a trip and two or three times when going somewhere else
- Germany, once on a trip and once we stopped in Berlin on our way to Norway
Noway
- Hungary, once or twice on short trips
- France, long ago
- Croatia, long ago
- Italy, almost two years ago
- Austria, on the same trip as Italy
- Switzerland, same as above, but only passing. Also, on the trip to Germany few years ago, I was staying near Bodensee, so I could go to Austria and Switzerland if I wanted to.
I'm not sure where I'd like to travel in the future. I'd like to finally see England.

Strawberries
2010-03-12, 11:37 AM
I'm Italian, so I have mostly traveled around Europe (for now)

Places I've been:

Italy: pretty much all the major cities (Rome, Milan, Florence, Siena, and a lot of others). And, of course, I live in Naples.
Austria: for now, only Wien. Bautiful place, I'd like to see more of the country.
Germany: Berlin and Potsdam. I'm planning to return there as well
Sweden Stockholm, with a short trip to Birka.
France Paris, all the Loire Valley, Normandy. I've been at Pont du Hoc as well, and Omaha beach.
Belgium Brussels, and Bruges. It was Christmas, so the places had a special charm.
Ireland A 15-days long road trip that brought us from Dublin to Galway, and included all the southern coast. I left a bit of my heart in Ireland. I'll suggest it to everybody as a possible destination for a holiday.

My next planned trip is to the USA (this summer, as soon as I can take a few holidays at work! :smallbiggrin:) I'm going to see New York, Boston and Washington. I'll see if I can visit something outside the big cities, but my plans aren't well defined yet.

For the one after that, I was thinking Canada (but that's depending on my economic possibilities-as I learned the hard way booking the trip to America, traveling outside Europe costs a lot.).

The thing I enjoy most about traveling is getting to know people and experience new cultures. Also, the amazing sights, and getting to learn bits of history I haven't been teached at school or have forgotten...

Deth Muncher
2010-03-12, 12:12 PM
Oh, let's see:

USofA

Every state south of New York on the East coast, plus Colorado, Montana and California.

Islands

The Bahamas, Grand Cayman

Europe

Ireland

--------------------

Also, Canada.

Pyrian
2010-03-12, 02:30 PM
I've traveled a surprising amount for somebody who doesn't particularly like to travel. :smallconfused:

U.S.A. (including Hawaii and Alaska)
Canada
Mexico
Whole swaths of the Caribbean
Bermuda
Venezuela
U.K.
Ireland
Switzerland
France

Cristo Meyers
2010-03-12, 02:41 PM
For the one after that, I was thinking Canada (but that's depending on my economic possibilities-as I learned the hard way booking the trip to America, traveling outside Europe costs a lot.).

Heh, now you see why many Americans don't make it outside of the US on vacations.

Been to various places inside the US Midwest, mostly, and Mexico and various Caribbean islands (US Virgin, Dominican Republic, Curacao, etc), but that's about it. I'd love to actually visit a place that isn't more or less your standard "all-inclusive" mundane resort, though...

Cancun has it's charm, of course (the Tulum ruins are worth the trip), as do the Caribbean islands, but resort vacations always seem like they're lacking something...

Strawberries
2010-03-12, 03:19 PM
I'd love to actually visit a place that isn't more or less your standard "all-inclusive" mundane resort, though...

I personally don't like resort vacations, and try to avoid them. I'd feel like I wasn't travelling at all, just experiencing some pre-made package. I prefer to book just the flight and possibly the hotel, then get to experience the city or country on my own.
In Ireland, we didn't even book the places to sleep in advance, we just stopped when we found a place we liked. That's part of the reason why that trip was so awesome.

drakir_nosslin
2010-03-12, 03:39 PM
I love travelling, it's probably the most relaxing thing I know.

Been to:
Norway, Denmark, Germany, Austria, UK, Czech Republic, Italy, Switzerland, Holland, Egypt, Russia, Mongolia, China (and Hong Kong), Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia.

Going to:
Australia, Indonesia, The Caribbean, India, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, Brazil.

Those are my top places I want to visit. I'm a sucker for scuba diving as well, so most of the places I'm going to have good diving :smallbiggrin:

Cristo Meyers
2010-03-12, 04:07 PM
I personally don't like resort vacations, and try to avoid them. I'd feel like I wasn't travelling at all, just experiencing some pre-made package. I prefer to book just the flight and possibly the hotel, then get to experience the city or country on my own.
In Ireland, we didn't even book the places to sleep in advance, we just stopped when we found a place we liked. That's part of the reason why that trip was so awesome.

For me, the best thing that can be said about resort vacations is that your meals and hotel are both nice and already paid for, but it just feels so sterile. Everything's laid out for you in nice, neat little packages. There's a benefit to that, no doubt, but still...

But then, I'm the one that wants to actually go see places rather than vacation "to get away and just zone out" (to quote my wife).

KuReshtin
2010-03-12, 04:23 PM
I like travelling, I just never get to do it.
For the past 10 years, the only place I've gone to on my holidays have been to go back to visit the family in Sweden.

Places I've been:
Crete (package holiday), Cyprus (package holiday), Denmark (mostly beer runs), USA (road trip type thing to visit a bunch of friends, culminating with a wedding ceremony in New Orleans), UK (school trip, and obviously now living in Scotland) and I'm booked to go to Norway this weekend on a business trip.

I'd really want to go back to the US again, see a few other places than I did last time, but also go back to New Orleans. I want to go to watch a Dallas Cowboys game at Cowboys stadium. And I'd want to meet up with a couple other friends that I made over the years just to knock back a few beers.

Strawberries
2010-03-12, 05:07 PM
But then, I'm the one that wants to actually go see places rather than vacation "to get away and just zone out" (to quote my wife).

A lot of friends complain that when if they were to go on vacation with us, they'd return more tired than before. It helps that my significant other shares my tastes, and that we don't have children. Resort vacation are nice if you actually have young kids.

And I forgot to add Barcelona on my list. Sadly we were there only for a week end. I'd love to see more of Spain :smallsmile:.

ForzaFiori
2010-03-12, 07:54 PM
My next planned trip is to the USA (this summer, as soon as I can take a few holidays at work! :smallbiggrin:) I'm going to see New York, Boston and Washington. I'll see if I can visit something outside the big cities, but my plans aren't well defined yet.

If you can, try to get out of the Northeast. Each part of the US has HUGE differences. Just seeing NY, Boston, and DC would be like going to Denmark and saying that you went to see Europe. Just my 2cp.

As to where I've been:
US: Alabama, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia. My grandma used to live in northern NJ, so we went up and down alot.

Carribean: US VI, Bahamas, St. Martin.

We go up and down alot. I've only been out of EST twice (once in Alabama, once in Tennessee)

I would like to go to:
Canada
The rest of the US
Europe: pretty much the entire continent, but mainly: UK, Italy, Ireland, Germany, Russia, Holland, and the various Scandanavian countries.
Asia: Japan and S. Korea
Australia.

The only problem is gonna be getting the money...

Assassin89
2010-03-12, 08:23 PM
I enjoy traveling, but I don't do it too often.

Where I have been:
In the United States:

Illinois
Wisconsin
Iowa
Michigan
California (San Diego, Claremont, Anaheim, Hollywood)
Florida (Orlando)
Hawaii (Oahu and the Big Island)
Outside the United States:

Italy(Florence and Rome)
France (Paris) (2001)
I also might have been around the Caribbean in 1993.

Where I would want to go:

Germany
Japan
The rest of the United States

Strawberries
2010-03-13, 02:52 AM
If you can, try to get out of the Northeast. Each part of the US has HUGE differences. Just seeing NY, Boston, and DC would be like going to Denmark and saying that you went to see Europe. Just my 2cp.

Unfortunately I'll only have 15 days, so I chose to focus on a single part of the country and experience it
thoroughly. I plan to return, though. I wouldn't dream to sat that you can see the whole of a country with just one trip, expecially a country as big as the USA.

The only problem is gonna be getting the money...

Tell me about it. Some people save money to buy fancy clothes, me, to buy plane tickets. :smallbiggrin:

CWater
2010-03-16, 10:39 AM
Traveling might just be the thing I actually enjoy most in this world; well with the possible exception of for fantasy and chocolate.:smallbiggrin:

I've not had many chances to actually do it though. The only places out of Finland that I've been so far are:
-Stockholm, Sweden (several times, nice city all in all, not too different from Helsinki or Turku, except that you can´t pay with euros:smallwink: and there are more historical buildings)
-Tallinn, Estonia (also a nice city)
-Alta, Norway (we drove all the way through Finland to explore Lappland, and crossed the northern border for a day, to take a look at the northern Norway; and I must say that I've yet to see a more beautiful sight than that one from a cliff close to the Arctic Ocean. Sea, mountains and clouds, all different shades of blue mixed together...:smallredface:)

Gosh! I started to ramble! Where was I...
Ahem!

-Chania, Crete (Greece) (my only "proper" tourist vacation; dad's 50-years birthday trip, he wanted to run away from Finland to escape all possible congratulations:smallbiggrin:. I was lucky to get along! It wasn't too bad either; even though the place was packed with Nordic tourists, it was possible to find your own space. After all, most of them flocked on the beach. The historical sites were awesome)

*sigh* It seems I cannot help the flow of words...

-Berlin, Germany (awesome place! Perhaps not exatly beautiful, but the more interesting. The bus-train-underground-tram-system caused a little headache at first (much more complex that in Helsinki!:smalleek:) but it got better)

So that's all of them, unfortnately, but I'm keeping my hopes up that I get to see more of the world in the future!
Now places that I'd like to see:
Ireland, Italy, Japan, New Zealand, Austria, Switzerland, Russia, Canada, Argentina...the list goes on forever.

Atelm
2010-03-16, 11:55 AM
I've done some travelling, not a lot, most of them only for a few days, and never outside of Europe. I'll have to rectify the latter sometime in the distant future.

Places Atelm has been to:

- Finland, too many places to list. Northernmost place I've visited/stayed in is Rovaniemi.
- Sweden, several times, mostly Stockholm but has included driving through the country to get to Denmark and visiting Kolmården Zoo.
- Denmark, once back in 1995. Visited Copenhagen for a day or two, and had a rented cottage by the shore of the North Sea for a week or so. Most memorable bit for the 5-year-old me was definitely Legoland.
- Estonia, the city of Tallin only, on several occasions. But haven't visited in at least five or six years.
- Czech Rep. Prague only, a four-day visit to the nation's capital.
- Germany, Berlin only, a week of stay in connection with a trip of our German class, but practically a vacation for the whole week. Lovely city.
- The United Kingdom, London only, a four(or five)-day trip to London. I liked it.
- Portugal back in 1998, I forget the name of the place but it was a small fishing town that we visited. Absolutely gorgeous place and good food are pretty much what I remember of it.
- Italy/Papacy, Rome/Vatican City only, a four-day visit to see all the major tourist entrapments. The Colosseum and the Vatican were definitely worth the visit, not too keen on the rest.

Places Atelm wishes to visit sometime in the distant future:

- The United States, don't know where yet. However, I'm absolutely certain that the US must be visited at least briefly.
- Japan, definitely. Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto in particular are cities I want to see, and somewhere in the country as well, Hokkaido maybe...
- Hong Kong, this isn't really a thing I'm going to hold myself accountable for. It isn't a mandatory destination like Japan and the US are.
- Australia, no clue where though.
- Norway, Northern-Norway mostly. The idea here would be to drive from Southern-Finland all the way across Finland to Northern-Norway to the shore of the Artic, then proceed to drive through Norway along the coast, then into Sweden and take a ferry from Stockholm to Turku, and from there drive back home.

paddyfool
2010-03-16, 12:24 PM
Places I've lived:

England (1982-2000; 2003-2005; 2008-present), Scotland (2000-2003), Hong Kong (1981-82), Uganda (2005-2008)

Places I've travelled to:

Europe

Wales, Ireland, Northern Ireland, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Romania, Turkish Cyprus, Luxembourg, Austria, Switzerland

The Americas

USA (NY, FL, CA... Western Samoa?), Ecuador, Argentina

Asia

Nepal, India, Bhutan

Africa

Kenya, Rwanda, the DRC, South Africa

Oceania

Tahiti, the Marquesas, the Tuamotos, Samoa, Tonga

Other

Antarctica

Places I've arranged/am arranging non-repeat travel to later this year

Mongolia, Greece

Other new places (and apologies for mixing up countries with regions) I'd particularly like to travel to

Tanzania (kept meaning to go there), West Africa, mainland China, Taiwan, Japan, Southeast Asia, Sri Lanka, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, Iceland, Egypt, Jordan, the Lebanon, Morocco

Places I've booked to go back to and see more of later this year

Ireland

Other places I'd particularly like to go back to and see more of

India, Nepal, USA, Spain, Italy, Germany, Hong Kong (revisited once in 1997...)

Yep, I like to travel. I haven't travelled nearly as much as some of my family, however.