PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Dark Archivist (Divine Tainted Scholar) Critique please?

Scorpions__
2010-03-12, 11:03 AM
Hey, I'm running an undead-focussed campaign, and the PCs are now about level 10, well, here they are.

Human Knight 8/Annointed Knight 1
Dwarf Incarnate 10
Half-Elf Monk 10
Human Cleric 10
Half-Vampire Human Archivist 7/'Dark Archivist' 1 (ECL = 9)

We're using LA Buyoff for the half-vampire.

Anyways, the most obvious problem with Tainted Scholar is the ridiculous saves and bonus spells. So I looked at what equivalent level casters might have and came up with these new equations.

Spell DC = 10 + 1/5 Corruption + Spell level
Bonus Spell Effective Score = 1/4 Depravity

Also, I've changed it to 'Dark Archivist,' simply the divine version if that's important...

Scorpions__
2010-03-13, 08:35 PM
Bump for feedback.

Mulletmanalive
2010-03-14, 05:35 AM
Based on the way the game was designed...

Half-Vampire is an innately tainted creature that's more-or-less undead. His Taint on both counts is SET to his CHA + 2. Can't rise or lower.

I'm not seeing the problem here really. Powerful, but it isn't going to get more powerful.

On the other hand, if you're allowing him to gain Taint, the point was that he's stuck with a Minor, Moderate and Severe Depravity...most of those are a severe limitation on what you can actually do.

I don't think he'd be lagging behind other players if you used your trimming idea, but my first point of call would be to ensure that the player is actually subject to his taint penalties. That and the poor git's on a countdown to ceasing to be playable...

Scorpions__
2010-03-14, 07:38 PM
Half-Vampires don't have the evil subtype and aren't undead, so they don't have a set amount of taint by RAW, but I can see your reason there for sure.

I'm pretty sure he should still be subject to taint's penalties though in any case, I mean, it's not as if Tainted Scholar is underpowered...

DM[F]R