PDA

View Full Version : looking for a monster with cold vulnerability[3.5]

RagnaroksChosen
2010-03-12, 11:28 AM
Hey all,

got game tonight right after work, I wanted to let a coupel of my players realy shine. a few of them have cold attacks and i wanted to throw them against something that has cold vulnerability. or a weekness to cold.

group consists of:
human wizard 4
half-elf bard 4
halfling rogue(ranged) 4
human scout 4/ranger 1

there very shooty oriented. it's an e6 game. which we play with no spells above 6th for pc's or npc's. I tend to like to through encounters at them that are cr +1-2 but i will take any thing atm.

I have access to all the MM's and most wotc books though i'd prefer stuff from MM1. just cuz its easyer.

thanks,

The Rose Dragon
2010-03-12, 11:35 AM
A red dragon?

RagnaroksChosen
2010-03-12, 11:45 AM
A red dragon?

thought about that and fire elementals... ..

both at the moment not realy fitting but thanks for the ideas.

Volthawk
2010-03-12, 11:48 AM
Magmins?

Fire Mephits?

Fire Elementals?

Pyrohydras?

Admiral Squish
2010-03-12, 11:49 AM
Salamanders!

Optimystik
2010-03-12, 11:50 AM
What my esteemed colleagues above me are trying to say is that any monster with the [Fire] subtype has built-in cold vulnerability. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#fireSubtype) :smalltongue:

Volthawk
2010-03-12, 11:51 AM
What my esteemed colleagues above me are trying to say is that any monster with the [Fire] subtype has built-in cold vulnerability. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#fireSubtype) :smalltongue:

Yeah, that.

I just like throwing out lots of monster names. It's fun!

RagnaroksChosen
2010-03-12, 12:01 PM
heh any thing without the fire subtype??

Volthawk
2010-03-12, 12:02 PM
I can't think of anything...

Boci
2010-03-12, 12:06 PM
heh any thing without the fire subtype??

I think sandstorm had a creature that was slowed when exposed to cold damage.

Darrin
2010-03-12, 12:12 PM
got game tonight right after work, I wanted to let a coupel of my players realy shine. a few of them have cold attacks and i wanted to throw them against something that has cold vulnerability. or a weekness to cold.

Four Fire Mephits might work, although that's CR7... three would be CR6ish and two would be CR5. They have a few abilities that could make for a challenging encounter: flight, a breath weapon, and scorching ray 1/day as an SLA... although be careful of that last one, 4d6 damage as a ranged touch attack could be a lot of damage against ECL 4 chars.

Otherwise, a handful of Azers or Thoqquas might be a little easier to handle.

Ash Rats (MM2) makes for some nice 1HD fodder, but *AVOID* Fire Bats , those are under-CR'ed deep-fried BBQ TPKs. 6HD and Regeneration 5 as a CR3? Shyeah right.

Rappy
2010-03-12, 12:14 PM
I think sandstorm had a creature that was slowed when exposed to cold damage.
The gelun, also called the cursed cold one. It's not slowed, though, it's actually pretty much paralyzed.

Prime32
2010-03-12, 12:23 PM
Isn't there some magic suit of powered armour which freezes over if hit by cold damage?

Malfunctioned
2010-03-12, 12:47 PM
Isn't there some magic suit of powered armour which freezes over if hit by cold damage?

Is this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070212a) what you meant?

ericgrau
2010-03-12, 01:13 PM
Half red dragon anything.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-03-12, 01:18 PM
O **** that may be the key forgot about half dragons that may make an enouncter i was thinking even better thanks ericgrau

Nope half dragon doesn't confire elemental type so a half red dragon is not vulnerable to cold...

Lysander
2010-03-12, 01:44 PM
What about Azers? They're basically fire dwarfs.

Or alternatively, instead of finding a creature specifically vulnerable to cold why not use a creature with DR that isn't bypassed by magic? Energy attacks (including cold) could be the way to defeat it.

Ravens_cry
2010-03-12, 01:54 PM
The gelun, also called the cursed cold one. It's not slowed, though, it's actually pretty much paralyzed.
It looks like a cube of jello with a skeleton inside. And you can PLAY AS THEM. That, that's too awesome for words alone to describe.
*does interpretive dance describing the awesome*

RagnaroksChosen
2010-03-12, 01:59 PM
What about Azers? They're basically fire dwarfs.

Or alternatively, instead of finding a creature specifically vulnerable to cold why not use a creature with DR that isn't bypassed by magic? Energy attacks (including cold) could be the way to defeat it.

ya i was thinking about that...

I settled on 3 lizard folk
1 half dragon
1 half fiend
1 cleric

cr 4
cr 2
cr 2

should be good gave the half dragon valnerablility to cold. and half fiend has some resistance... so should be a good fight.

ericgrau
2010-03-12, 02:32 PM
O **** that may be the key forgot about half dragons that may make an enouncter i was thinking even better thanks ericgrau

Nope half dragon doesn't confire elemental type so a half red dragon is not vulnerable to cold...

Fire Immunity
A creature with fire immunity never takes fire damage. It has vulnerability to cold, which means it takes half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from cold, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure.

If not my half-white dragon has faced a boatload of unnecessary pain. OTOH there aren't corresponding rules for electricity, sonic or acid, so maybe I'm reading the rules wrong. EDIT: Oh, but the related full-dragons also don't have a vulnerability, so I probably got it right. Cold and fire immunity is probably worth more in core.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-03-12, 02:40 PM
lol well then didn't relise fire immunity gave cold vulnerability

SpikeFightwicky
2010-03-12, 02:47 PM
That's really weird. The Balor (among other fiends) has immunity to fire, and Resist Cold 10, but no cold vulnerability.

Optimystik
2010-03-12, 02:48 PM
That's really weird. The Balor (among other fiends) has immunity to fire, and Resist Cold 10, but no cold vulnerability.

Outsiders are Just That Awesome. :smalltongue:

AmberVael
2010-03-12, 03:00 PM
If not my half-white dragon has faced a boatload of unnecessary pain. OTOH there aren't corresponding rules for electricity, sonic or acid, so maybe I'm reading the rules wrong. EDIT: Oh, but the related full-dragons also don't have a vulnerability, so I probably got it right. Cold and fire immunity is probably worth more in core.

As far as I can tell, the SRD just made that up completely. There is no corresponding section in the Monster Manual (except for the Fire Subtype entry), and the Rules Compendium says creatures with Fire or cold immunities usually have vulnerability to the other, but obviously that isn't a hard and fast rule (thus, it would need to be specified).

ericgrau
2010-03-12, 03:03 PM
It's in the special abilities section, so I bet it's in my DMG. EDIT: yeup, pages 291,294. It would mean that balors are also vulnerable to cold, which seems odd. Most other creatures specify both. Well, except those with a subtype.

AmberVael
2010-03-12, 03:05 PM
Well, looking at the DMG, it's there- but the Rules Compendium overrides that, so...

ericgrau
2010-03-12, 03:06 PM
Does the rules compendium have a special ability section? Maybe you're looking in the wrong place. Just because you haven't found it doesn't mean it isn't there. Can't be sure until you find specific "cold immunity" or "fire immunity" section.

AmberVael
2010-03-12, 03:09 PM
Page 48, under Energy.

I suppose you could read that as immunity to fire/cold and Fire Immunity or Cold Immunity as two different things, but that would still leave Half-Dragons as not-vulnerable (along with Balors).

Edit: Plus that seems to be getting into "very silly" territory.

ericgrau
2010-03-12, 03:13 PM
Thanks, I'll ask my DM about making the change next game I play. Oh, and sorry ragnaroks, you may be out of luck on my idea :smalltongue:.