PDA

View Full Version : Darken Sword D&D 3.5 PRC PEACH

Frog Dragon
2010-03-12, 11:31 AM
Darken Sword
There are people who need no eyes to see.

Darken Swords are elite warriors of a school of thought that thinks you shoudn't be reliant on sight in a fight. The ability to find and hit your enemy is not a function of your sight, but that of your skill as a warrior.
Darken Swords train hard to overcome the limitations of sight and to become less reliant on one, easily misled sense in a fighting situation. A Darken Swords training gives them the ability to "see without seeing" and to match the accuracy of sight with something else.

Prerequisites
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Feats: Blind Fight, Alertness
Skills: Listen 4 ranks

HD: d10

DARKEN SWORD
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Unconcealed

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|Bonus Feat, See the Deception +1

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|Blindsense 30ft, Greater Hearing +2

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|See the Deception +2, Uncanny Dodge

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4|Bonus Feat, Completely Unconcealed

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+5|See the Deception +3, Greater Hearing +4

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+5|Blindsense 60ft

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+6|Bonus Feat, See the Deception +4

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+6|Greater Hearing +6, Improved Uncanny Dodge

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+7|See the Deception +5, Blindsight 100ft [/table]

Skill Points: A darken sword gains 4+Int modifier skill points per level
Class Skills: The class skills (and the key ability for each skill) for a darken sword are as follows: Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex)

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies
A darken sword gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Bonus Feat
The Darken Sword gains a bonus fighter feat.

See the Deception (Ex)
Darken Swords train to have their senses unhindered by any sort of mischief. A darken sword gains the indicated bonus to all saves made to recognize illusions for what they are. In addition a darken swords may make such a check once by merely viewing the illusion.

Unconcealed (Ex)
The darken sword lowers all miss chances he has to roll against by 20% (minimum 0%).

Completely Unconcealed (Ex)
The darken sword does not suffer from miss chances from any source.

Blindsense (Ex)
The darken sword has blindsense. This blindsense is mainly hearing based and doesn't work when you can't hear the target like when affected by a silence spell.

Blindsight (Ex)
The darken sword has blindsight. This blindsight is mainly hearing based and doesn't work when you can't hear the target like when affected by a silence spell.

Greater Hearing (Ex)
The darken sword gains the indicated bonus to their listen check as an untyped bonus.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex)
As the rogue ability of the same name

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex)
As the rogue ability of the same name.

So what do you think?

Edit: As to who this is meant for, I'd enter with one of these two
Dungeoncrasher Fighter 6 or Ranger 1/Fighter 4

MoleMage
2010-03-12, 05:10 PM
I like it.

What other sense(s) are the Blindsense and Blindsight based on? It looks like hearing from the rest of the class.

I don't know much balance stuff, so I'm afraid I can't help there. Also, I can see some monks going down this line, maybe even an organization of them.

Zexion
2010-03-12, 05:28 PM
Cool concept, and also rather well-implemented. Have you considered some sort of capstone ability, like being able to predict an enemy's movements in the dark to gain a bonus to attack rolls?

Frog Dragon
2010-03-13, 04:26 AM
Well, the capstone was intended to be blindsight.

Lix Lorn
2010-05-13, 06:56 AM
It's an interesting class. But the capstone is a bit dull. Maybe something about blinding their opponents (possibly temporarily)

Frog Dragon
2010-05-13, 07:02 AM
This thread is two months old..
http://www.novarata.net/Thread_Necromancy.jpg

Lix Lorn
2010-05-13, 07:14 AM
Isn't the necromancy rule three months? :smallconfused:

Frog Dragon
2010-05-13, 08:05 AM
it's month and a half.

Lix Lorn
2010-05-13, 11:34 AM
...oops.
Why a month and a half? O_o seems arbitrary...