PDA

View Full Version : Making a more effective BBGG

Soonerdj
2010-03-12, 12:37 PM
So I see a lot of guides to making more effective villains, giving them irrational behavior and menacing quirks and behavior etc.

But my current (and first) campaign has a party of evil doers and I am stumped by how to make a threatening BBGG. I have a paladin, Lord Tybalc, but he seems more like a story element than a real and current threat to the plans of the PCs.

Are there any tips to making someone who despite his dedication to good is a real and present threat to my players?

Currently I have:
A monomaniacal halfling sorcerer bent on dominating the world.
A murderous f*** Spike chain rogue (Sorry bout the language but it is the most appropriate term for him) creating a assassins guild (mainly him getting paid to kill people)
A Bard (newest rper, he wants to be the head of a new religious movement)
Monk starting a fight club, determined to be the 2nd in command to Vecna.

Redpieper
2010-03-12, 12:47 PM
Well a high priest of a good god might work, you got inquisitors as "minions" who seek out the party, thwart them and such. With optional back up from angels.
Alternatively a Harper esque organisation maybe? With it's leader being the BBGG.

Or you could also use a BBEG as a foil to their plans, just because they're evil doesn't mean they should get along. :smallwink:

Telonius
2010-03-12, 12:57 PM

This might be the easiest hook. He wants to be the head of a new movement. So who are the followers supposed to come from? The local temple of Pelor might not take too kindly to it, if some upstart Bard starts spreading heresy.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-03-12, 01:22 PM
Another possible antagonist would be an RKV. A Devotee of Wee Jas, she'd have to be evil, but the antagonist in Evil Campaigns doesn't have to be good.

She (or he) would dislike the whole Vecna Monk, the Bard, and probably the Sorcerer.

And RKV's are nasty. Like, ridiciously so. She can challenge the party.

Soonerdj
2010-03-12, 01:25 PM
Interesting, I'm digging the Church of Pelor for the Bard. What measures would they they take should they find out he is spreading such heresy that he is a divine speaker for a new god?

That and who would really be able to find and oppose a very sneaky and very bloodthirsty rogue?

(For example, when he wanted to take over a bar. He cast invisibility on himself (assassin) and murdered a bar patron. When the bartender moved everyone out and called guards he then murdered the bartender and stole the deed. When the members of the Halfling criminal organization that has/had a stranglehold on the city arrived (they owned the bar and had a secret passage to their underground lair in the basement) he killed them all too.

So he was never seen and killed 8 people just to get ownership of one bar. Who could really stop him? That and he is a spike chain rogue doing 60 damage a round (dropping my npcs like flies)

sombrastewart
2010-03-12, 01:29 PM
Regular invisibility ends when the invisible person attacks someone, and if there are eight guys that run the criminal underground and they start dropping, I'd kind of expect them to start taking measures to stop him.

Soonerdj
2010-03-12, 01:31 PM
Regular invisibility ends when the invisible person attacks someone, and if there are eight guys that run the criminal underground and they start dropping, I'd kind of expect them to start taking measures to stop him.

The whole underground tunnel thing, at the moment the whole group is in the process of ripping it to shreds. :P

And does this work

Cast Invis
Attack - Breaking Invis and getting Sneak Attack?
Swift Action - Ninja Ability to Ki Invisibility

Next round

Attack
Break Invis
Swift Invis (assassin spell)

So they might have seen a flicker of a small black bundled halfling in between him decapitating poor commoners and low level crime people.

Lysander
2010-03-12, 01:34 PM
Currently I have:
A monomaniacal halfling sorcerer bent on dominating the world.
A murderous f*** Spike chain rogue (Sorry bout the language but it is the most appropriate term for him) creating a assassins guild (mainly him getting paid to kill people)
Monk starting a fight club, determined to be the 2nd in command to Vecna.

Here are possible enemies for each:

Sorcerer - Wizard's guild that protects the world from magical conquest. They would have lots of low level wizards to harry him with, and there could be an lawful good archmage BBGG.

Rogue - Rival assassin's guild. They don't like him stepping in on their turf. led by a chaotic evil Arcane Trickster BBEG.

Bard - BBGG cleric of pelor like suggested above

Monk - Vecna's current second in command. You must defeat him in order to prove your worth. BBEG Warblade.

boomwolf
2010-03-12, 01:57 PM
Well...

The must obvious answer to the sorcerer is a go wizard, wizards have tendencies against sorcerers even without the whole good/evil thing.

The rouge is a problem. you need a damn goo tracker for him, and someone who can get over his invisibility tricks, some sort of a bounty hunter perhaps? I recommend a Bloodhound (complete adventurer), as he is VERY good at finding people, and quite a stealth himself.

The bard is unquestionably going to evoke the wrath of any nearby religious origination, good and evil alike. plenty of enemies to go around.

The monk should not have too many natural enemies other then the current second-in-command to Vecna, but if he is into fighting much he would probably cause many former defeated foe to look for revenge. (and if they join forces they might become more powerful then him.)

Lycanthromancer
2010-03-12, 02:00 PM
You shouldn't need a foe for the monk, as he's a monk. He's obviously his own worst enemy, since he enjoys torturing himself so much.

AtwasAwamps
2010-03-12, 02:04 PM
(For example, when he wanted to take over a bar. He cast invisibility on himself (assassin) and murdered a bar patron. When the bartender moved everyone out and called guards he then murdered the bartender and stole the deed. When the members of the Halfling criminal organization that has/had a stranglehold on the city arrived (they owned the bar and had a secret passage to their underground lair in the basement) he killed them all too.

1) That is the strangest way to take over a bar ever. Was the tender carrying the deed on him like a safety blanket? I don't even follow that process.

2) Anyone who can cast a permanent or at least very often trueseeing and has uncanny dodge. Or something undead that doesn't give a damn about his sneak attack and is much stronger than him.

Lycanthromancer
2010-03-12, 02:12 PM
Hah. Make the rogue's pursuer a LE paladin-of-tyranny/wilder/illithid slayer with a gem dragon mount. The dragon has blindsight, which should make short work of the assassin's invisibility. If he finds a way to negate her dragon's blindsight, make sure she has access to touchsight, as Darkstalker (the feat that foils blindsight) doesn't work against it.

Soonerdj
2010-03-12, 05:44 PM
Interesting...

Lycanthromancer: Where can I find this mount and feats?

AtwasAwamps: He needed a base of operation, the deed was secondary to vanishing everyone who may have a claim to it. As it was the deed was kept downstairs in a locked chest (like that matters to a skill monkey)

Lycanthromancer
2010-03-12, 06:03 PM
Interesting...

Lycanthromancer: Where can I find this mount and feats?Gem dragons are from the MM II, and Darkstalker is from Lords of Madness.