PDA

View Full Version : What School to Create Warforged?

LibraryOgre
2010-03-12, 01:23 PM
What school would you say would be appropriate for the creation of Warforged?

(Irrelevant explanation: I maintain you can play the AD&D version of the Realms with 4e. You might wind up restricting races a bit, but the mechanics will be fine. The problem is where I would put warforged for the inevitable jerk who'd want to play one. My first thought is that they'd be a creation of one of the Zulkiirs in Thay, but I'm not sure which one. I don't want it to be necromancy, because Zzas Tam wouldn't go constructs... he'd just pile on more undead. But I'm not sure who would fit, otherwise.)

tyckspoon
2010-03-12, 01:28 PM
Well, running off 3.5: Both Animate Object and Awaken are Transmutation, which would seem to cover the aspects of a Warforged. So I'm going to say Transmutation. Maybe a little bit of Conjuration (Healing) for the living aspects.. I suppose the Wizardly equivalents usually wind up in Necromancy.

Ryumaru
2010-03-12, 01:34 PM
(Irrelevant explanation: I maintain you can play the AD&D version of the Realms with 4e. You might wind up restricting races a bit, but the mechanics will be fine. The problem is where I would put warforged for the inevitable jerk who'd want to play one.

You're the DM. I know letting PCs play what they like and helping them to enjoy themselves is good, but if you don't like Warforged/don't think they'd fit at all in Forgotten Realms... then simply say they arn't around?

Telonius
2010-03-12, 01:47 PM
Transmutation sounds good to me as well. I think that adding in Wish or Miracle as a required spell would be reasonable, too. Those are Universal and Evocation respectively.

Asheram
2010-03-12, 01:49 PM
I think I'd go for a riutal with Transmutation, Conjuration and Necromancy in order to build a Creation Forge, which in turn will be used to build Warforged.

Beelzebub1111
2010-03-12, 01:52 PM
I think I'd go for a riutal with Transmutation, Conjuration and Necromancy in order to build a Creation Forge, which in turn will be used to build Warforged.

Not to mention psionics. Psychometabolism, Metacreativity, and Telepathy (To create life, body, and mind) The Quori had them constructed if I recall correctly.

Optimystik
2010-03-12, 01:55 PM
I think Universal, because you can make a case for every school being involved in their construction in some way.

unre9istered
2010-03-12, 01:57 PM
I could also see Warforged coming out of a Gondish workshop using divine spells. If anyone was going to make a Forge (the kind that mass produces the warforged) it'd be a Gnomish Artificer who worships Gond (if not Gond himself).

hamishspence
2010-03-12, 02:01 PM
What school would you say would be appropriate for the creation of Warforged?

(Irrelevant explanation: I maintain you can play the AD&D version of the Realms with 4e. You might wind up restricting races a bit, but the mechanics will be fine. The problem is where I would put warforged for the inevitable jerk who'd want to play one. My first thought is that they'd be a creation of one of the Zulkiirs in Thay, but I'm not sure which one. I don't want it to be necromancy, because Zzas Tam wouldn't go constructs... he'd just pile on more undead. But I'm not sure who would fit, otherwise.)

I was that inevitable jerk :smallamused:

The explanation I came up with drew heavily from existing lore.

The Raumviri Empire waged war using hordes of constructs (according to FRCS)

They fell, and some of the survivors became the founding Witches of Rashemen- specializing in working with the spirits of the land (according to FRCS and Unapproachable East)

The Witches rediscovered the secrets, and started creating spirit-possessed constructs, of a more naturalistic type (Made up by me).

Asheram
2010-03-12, 02:06 PM
Not to mention psionics. Psychometabolism, Metacreativity, and Telepathy (To create life, body, and mind) The Quori had them constructed if I recall correctly.

Oh my. :) Cheers to you, I'm not that well versed in Eberron lore.

Optimystik
2010-03-12, 02:09 PM
I was that inevitable jerk :smallamused:

The explanation I came up with drew heavily from existing lore.

The Raumviri Empire waged war using hordes of constructs (according to FRCS)

They fell, and some of the survivors became the founding Witches of Rashemen- specializing in working with the spirits of the land (according to FRCS and Unapproachable East)

The Witches rediscovered the secrets, and started creating spirit-possessed constructs, of a more naturalistic type (Made up by me).

That's a pretty badass way to slip Warforged into Toril. I like! :smallbiggrin:

LibraryOgre
2010-03-14, 01:58 PM
You're the DM. I know letting PCs play what they like and helping them to enjoy themselves is good, but if you don't like Warforged/don't think they'd fit at all in Forgotten Realms... then simply say they arn't around?

Because in other people's games, I am the inevitable jerk (perhaps you've noticed me calling my DM "Dreamcrusher"?). I like to be prepared.

However, I will make it clear to people choosing something unconventional that we're in the Realms, specifically Cormyr, before there's a Time of Troubles. Something like an Orc'll get you killed... a warforged may just get taken apart (which, if done carefully, won't hurt too much).