PDA

View Full Version : The Untrusted of Arcova. Part one: Flight or Fight?

Reynard
2010-03-12, 01:55 PM
Ever since it was founded twenty years ago, the job of the Untrusted has always been a harsh one. They're the first into every battle, the head of every charge, they go behind the lines on assassination missions, they take the role of distractions on the battlefield; in short, they do whatever is asked of them, no matter what. Since the betrayal, and the end to the Valley War there have only been a few major battles, nothing on the scale of the battles that took place back then.

Since joining their ranks, for whatever reasons, you've been constantly on the move, skirmishing and raiding the Stronghaven border forts. You've noticed a change in their forces. The Stronghaven Border-Forts are getting better garrisoned, their soldiers more numerous, and their commanders more aggressive, sometimes chasing you for days before giving up.

As is happening now. A raid against one of their more heavily-defended forts, in an attempt to cause a few fires, melt the contents of their armoury with some acid, thinning their ranks a bit in the process, was moderately successful. You managed to get in, kill at least fifty men between you and their armoury, but that's as far as you got. Led by the forts commander, someone who marched under a banner that displayed a black wolf's head on a grey field, the Stronghaven forces rallied and fought back, pushing you out of the fort and pursuing you for miles. You and your fellow Untrusted have managed to move faster than them for now, but if you have to continue at this pace for a couple more days, you'll exhaust yourselves and be easily caught.

Out of desperation, your commander, Captian Brocas, has ordered you into the Caverns of Egus, which lie under countryside to the north-east of the now-Stronghaven city of Brundannon, in the hopes of either losing them, or of finding an easily defensible position from which to hold them off. She apparently made many trips to them as a child, but she's never said why.

You've made camp here, and the caverns glow with the warm light of the fires. Around you, in various states of health and peace of mind, are the survivors of your raid, which including yourself number no more than twenty.

“Have sentries been sent out, as I ordered?” Captian Brocas's voice echoes in the cavern, even though she spoke in a reasonable tone. The woman herself is muscular, with strangely pale skin and a long face. Her coarse, brown hair is tied back loosely, and her grey eyes keep flickering to the way out of the cave. You've found her to be a reliable commander, but the failed raid seems to have shaken her a bit.

“Not yet, Sir. We've been trying to set up temporary defenses.” replies her second in command, Lieutenant Stokys. Lean and light-skinned, and with a small-featured face, he has shoulder-length, wavy, blond hair and brown eyes. Racist and crude seem to best describe his personality, but he knows his business when it comes to war.

"They'll do us no good if nobody is there to see Stronghaven's armies before they're in this cavern. Get someone out there, now. Two someones preferably."

"Yes ma'am. Wolfbrother, Tigersoul, get out there and try not to let anything spot you. If you see something, get the hells back in here, no contact"

Kol Korran
2010-03-12, 02:24 PM
Ghosts is busy working at the side of Francis Rowe. the dwarf should have been one of the slowest in the escape, with his stature and all, but he endured and ran ahead uncomplaining. he was oddly... cheerfull for some reason, humming a religious dwarven hymn under his breath as he worked.

as one of the others asked him why he was so calm in this danger he answered We're under Moradin's roof. these caves are welcoming and good. The protector has a plan, my clan (the whispers surrounding him increase for a few moments) agrees. the raid went bad. what follows might be good." he then seem to think for a moment "and if not, then it's a fine place to die, no? Rest assured, it's all part of the great design!" he then gives a short abrupt laugh, before finishing with the current job. he walks up to Kobacha and Natasha.

"I've finished with my task. how else can i help? my people are accustomed to the undergrounds. perhaps Myself, my clan and others could explore the depths for better defensive positions?"

Loxagn
2010-03-12, 04:01 PM
Further away from the fire's edge than most, Erin stood; having succeeded in calming Shala, and taking stock of the few who had survived. She felt... almost detached, completely beside herself. So many had died, so needlessly, and her unable to aid them... Perhaps if she were younger, such a loss might have made her weep. But this was not training day anymore, this was war... She sighed, whispering a few brief prayers for the fallen, kneeling on the floor with her head bowed for several minutes.

The elven girl stood, approaching Captain Brocas and bowing out of respect. "Lady Brocas, I have taken care of the remaining wounded. Please, if there is anything you would have me do, speak and it shall be done."

deathpigeon
2010-03-12, 04:23 PM
Lo-Kag adopts a scowl, unhappy that he must cower in the caves while his clan's killers wander just outside, Why must we cower like insects from the bat, like worms from the bird, like rabbits from the hawk, here he stands his voice remaining calm and controlled, like imps from their superiors, like shadows from the light? We should fight, even if it is the last thing we do!

Reynard
2010-03-12, 04:46 PM
Borcas turns to Erin with a sigh. "No need for that formal bullcrap, Erin, we're in the field. 'Captian' is all the formality we need.

"As for what you can do now-"

She looks over to where Lo-Kag has stopped working and started complaining.
"Because, Corporal, attacking them as we are now is suicide. And while you might welcome death, I'm certain the others here would prefer we survive this day and fight another."

She gives him one last look before turning back to Erin.

"I'd like you to help prepare the defenses."

deathpigeon
2010-03-12, 04:47 PM
Borcas turns to Erin with a sigh. "No need for that formal bullcrap, Erin, we're in the field. 'Captian' is all the formality we need.

"As for what you can do now-"

She looks over to where Lo-Kag has stopped working and started complaining.
"Because, Corporal, attacking them as we are now is suicide. And while you might welcome death, I'm certain the others here would prefer we survive this day and fight another."

She gives him one last look before turning back to Erin.

"I'd like you to help prepare the defenses."

Lo-Kag grumbles and sits back down.

obasi42
2010-03-12, 04:49 PM
Ah, sentry duty. Walgold was especially familiar with this sort of work. Whenever he got himself in trouble, he was sent to sentry duty. It wasn't so bad, though. It was nice to get away from that dwarf. There was a cold feeling between them ever since Walgold stole his purse and rummaged through it. No, it was before that. That dwarf has never liked me. Ah, well. You can't have everyone. Walgold was a bit popular amongst the Untrusted. His performances were spoken of around the camp. He would use a little prestidigitation to wow the crowds.

He hopped onto a rock that was propped against the cave wall and leaned back. He comfortably watched out for intruders.

Soon, he was fast asleep.

Loxagn
2010-03-12, 05:04 PM
"As you wish- I mean," She nodded, correcting herself. "Yes, Captain." She cast a brief sideways glance at her Goliath ally, but said nothing, merely bowing once more and moving purposefully to aid in the defenses.
Yet, to an extent he is right... we should not linger here for long...

Mokuren
2010-03-12, 06:17 PM
Lo-Kag grumbles and sits back down.

"Don't worry, Lo!", Kobacha was right nearby, pulling her umbrella close, it was no secret to her comrades that it was heavily reinforced to be used as a shield, and that her sword was hidden in the handle, but since she almost always kept it open, not everyone knew that it was so hard to close when underground, or when she really didn't want to keep it open for some reason, like strong wind.

"We'll have some- nngh- more close encounters with death soon. Just- oof- wait and have faith. Ah, there it went". There was an audible clack as it closed, she then drew her sword to check if the mechanism was still working properly, and sheathed it back immediately with a nod of satisfaction. Good thing she could draw her weapon in the blink of an eye, hers wasn't exactly the most handy scabbard, "After all, we can't stay here for long".

With that supposedly reassuring smile, she then moved closer to the captain, keeping an expression of good cheer regardless of the situation; maybe a bit unnerving, but at least she could keep morale high, which she always said to be very important for commanding officiers.

"So, Captain", she then greeted with her youthful voice, "Seems like we're in enemy territory, in some caves under one of their major cities, and we can either be smoked out or sieged until we run out of food, something that'll happen pretty soon unless the underground fauna reveals to be more nutritious than I believed".

She concluded everything with a bright smile, her nose twitching as she smelled a challenge, "But you're better than this, Captain. I heard you've been in these caves already, and I'm sure you know them very well", she tilts her head slightly to the side, "May I ask to share your insights, Captain? Two brains think better than one, and we're going to need to know how many tricks we really have up our sleeves".

Reynard
2010-03-12, 06:29 PM
"We managed to get ahead of them, remember Sergeant? Hopefully they don't know we're here. If they do find us, then...There are other exits to the caves, one of which comes out somewhere in Brundannon, so we can get out. The defenses are purely a precaution."

obasi42
2010-03-12, 06:29 PM
Walgold woke up with a start. He had that dream again. He dreamt of the day he saw his mother's death. He hated that dream.

He shook himself off and hopped off of the rock. "Why do I always have to have that dream? I'm not getting any sleep now, and I can't-" Walgold thought he might have heard something. He searched for the source of the noise.

Search roll:
[roll]1d20+3

Mokuren
2010-03-12, 07:05 PM
"We managed to get ahead of them, remember Sergeant? Hopefully they don't know we're here. If they do find us, then...There are other exits to the caves, one of which comes out somewhere in Brundannon, so we can get out. The defenses are purely a precaution."

Kobacha nods in agreement, "Indeed, indeed. Be as it may, I'd rather be prepared for the worst, thought it's kind of unnerving to be constantly on the run".

A little silence, then the foxgirl's brain coughs up an idea, as her mischevious smirk indicates. "Say, Captain", she then asks, even her tone indicates that she's up to no good, "There are other exits, right? Are they very far away? I was thinking... If they don't know we're here, we might as well have more chances of not being found if we make them believe we're hiding somewhere else. Ah, let me elaborate".

She brings the heavy tip of her umbrella down to the ground, and starts drawing in the dirt, "See, we're here right now. The enemy should be more or less behind us... This much, let's say. Their scouts should take turns to explore every direction for signs of our presence, I believe they can reasonably cover this much radius in one day".

The picture in the dirt starts to appear clearer, as much as this can be said considering the situation, lighting included, "If our own scouts don't spot enemy presence nearby, it should be reasonable to assume we have enough advantage to organize a sortie. Now, going out all at once would be suicide, and they're too many for hit and run to be useful. So I was thinking... Could we take advantage of the tunnels in this cave to send a small team to sortie from another exit, provoke our enemies and lead them to think we're hiding somewhere else, then return here and make a run for it while they're looking for us in the wrong direction?".

She smiles at the end, a very sharp-toothed smile, "Because I know the perfect team for something like this, captain".

Reynard
2010-03-12, 07:59 PM
"No-one, except maybe the dwarves that fled down here, know how far these caverns go. They at least cover the distance between here and Brundannon, which is around five miles away.

"As for sending a small team to piss them off... It'd take too long. The nearest exit might only be half a mile away over land, but down here it could easily be ten or fifteen. I don't remember that much about these caves to reliably lead us anywhere but Brundannon.

"If the worst comes to the worst, and they find us, we can use the left over Alchemist Acids to cover our retreat. But I hope it doesn't come to that. Hopefully we won't get found, and we can just sit tight for a day."

Mokuren
2010-03-12, 08:26 PM
"Haaa~".

A disappointed sigh. Even the unassuming sergeant, deep down inside her, wanted to give their pursuers something for all their trouble. Something firey, possibly.

"Well, at least I tried", she gets her smile back on, "Sorry captain, the underground is not really my field of work. If we were in a forest, I'd have more tricks up my sleeve". She takes a look at the rest of the camp, gauging the durability and morale of the leftover troops.

"So, we just wait?", she asks, not hiding in the slightest that it's the part she likes the least of the whole plan, given she isn't in the right conditions to be plotting properly.

Penny67
2010-03-12, 08:51 PM
Cassi comes out of the fake sleep she was having, and she looks to be sweating.

They won't find us, as I'm sure that we will have moved to another location before the week is out. I'm afraid we have been leaving too many clues as to where we're at. An idea I've had is, why not hide among them? We could hide among them, as double agents, and kill them stealthily without getting caught?

Blaine.Bush
2010-03-12, 09:49 PM
Tarak, Half-Orc Brawler

Cassi comes out of the fake sleep she was having, and she looks to be sweating.

They won't find us, as I'm sure that we will have moved to another location before the week is out. I'm afraid we have been leaving too many clues as to where we're at. An idea I've had is, why not hide among them? We could hide among them, as double agents, and kill them stealthily without getting caught?

A tall, muscular humanoid sits in the far side of the cave, away from the rest of his squad. Shadows from the fires flicker over his scarred, olive skin. He remains silent for a while, but after hearing the wizard's idea speaks up. His voice is rough and gravelly. "Yeah, and how do you propose we do that? 'Oi, Mister Stronghaven! I'd like to join your army! What's that? No, I'm not a citizen. Well, yeah, you do recognize me from the Arcovan army. Yes, the one you've been fighting for years.'" Tarak scoffs. "Yeah, good luck with that. Me, I'm content to just smash some heads the normal way." He returns to his silence, shaking his head from side to side in disapproval.

Loxagn
2010-03-12, 10:00 PM
Erin sighed, wiping a bit of sweat from her brow as she aided in fortifying some of the makeshift barricades. Heavy lifting and construction was... hardly her forte, but it was a means of getting her mind off the situation at hand. This had been a close call indeed, and she needed to do her duty in keeping alive all whom she could.

I can only hope that I'll have a moment to rest before anything happens... At the very least, Shala seems to be getting hers.

Penny67
2010-03-12, 10:01 PM
At least I'm trying to use my brain instead of just using the old "I smash it" motto.

I cast "light" on the wall behind him, illuminating him, which I assume he wanted to avoid, before going to help Erin

senrath
2010-03-12, 10:44 PM
Elzren slowly stood from his seat amongst the wounded. He wasn't wounded, but he had been trying to keep those who were wounded occupied with something other than their pain. Walking over to Borcas, he spoke.

"Anything specific you want me doing, Captain? Or should I just help with the defenses?"

Blaine.Bush
2010-03-12, 10:54 PM
Tarak, Half-Orc Brawler

At least I'm trying to use my brain instead of just using the old "I smash it" motto.

I cast "light" on the wall behind him, illuminating him, which I assume he wanted to avoid, before going to help Erin

The half-orc scoffs again. "If you think that attempting to infiltrate the Stronghaven army is really a smart idea, then please try it. I'd like to see what happens to you." Tarak stands up, stretching his bulky muscle and walking toward the wizard before continuing to address her. Looking down at Cassi from half a foot above, he says, "As for me, I find smashin' heads pretty effective. Don't ya think?"

Penny67
2010-03-12, 11:26 PM
You tell me.

I use Prestidigitation to conjure a small rock over Tarak.
I walk over to help with the defenses.

Blaine.Bush
2010-03-12, 11:57 PM
Tarak, Half-Orc Brawler

You tell me.

I use Prestidigitation to conjure a small rock over Tarak.
I walk over to help with the defenses.

As the wizard leaves, the convict gives her a small push. "Watch your back, magic lady." He lets out a coarse laugh, before walking toward the cavern's entrance and heading outside.

Reynard
2010-03-13, 12:30 AM
"Stop acting like children, you two. Dreamweaver, you're a corporal, act like it. Tarak, don't provoke superior officers, even if they're only you're superior through having magic. Am I understood? The pair of you, get back to your posts.

"Ah, Hitaara. No, I haven't got anything that needs your talents, unless you can work a ritual?"

Penny67
2010-03-13, 12:35 AM
Upon reaching the barricade, and finding she was a little too small to be able to help much around there, she went back to the fire. "Ah, you need Ritual cast? I'm trained in the ways of the cleric, and can work a ritual, if you have the scroll."

senrath
2010-03-13, 01:04 AM
"Sorry, Captain. I'm not a ritual caster. I've been meaning to learn, but I can never seem to find the time. I'll just help with the defenses, then."

Giving a quick salute to the Captain, Elzren headed off to help the others ready the defenses. Outside of combat, he wasn't of much use, a fact that hadn't ever really bothered him before now.

Reynard
2010-03-13, 01:26 AM
The captain returns Elzren's salute.

"Before we left for this raid, Dreamweaver, I was given a one-shot bundle of the Object Reading ritual. It contains the scroll and the bits and pieces needed for it to work. I need you to use it to find out about this..." She pulls a nasty-looking axehead from her pouch. It seems to have been designed to cause as much pain as possible.

"I don't know what you'll see, but it could be important. Or rather, it had better be." The last sentence seems mostly directed at herself.

Penny67
2010-03-13, 01:32 AM
Captain, I need to know what you want to see about it to complete the ritual. is there something specific you want to know about it? I also have a different ritual, that can copy this ritual in a mere 20 minutes, giving us a better chance of finding things out. The ritual is called Amanuensis

Kol Korran
2010-03-13, 03:22 AM
Oragath has been ignored by Kobacha, and Natasha is busy. he therefore goes to the Captain. "I know that you don't trust my connection to my god, but Moradin can give us divine guidance. the Eyes of Moradin see all, and he could guide us concerning 3 questions. in the situation we are, it might be wise to heed such guidance."

Mokuren
2010-03-13, 03:53 AM
Oragath has been ignored by Kobacha, and Natasha is busy. he therefore goes to the Captain. "I know that you don't trust my connection to my god, but Moradin can give us divine guidance. the Eyes of Moradin see all, and he could guide us concerning 3 questions. in the situation we are, it might be wise to heed such guidance."

Kobacha considers the situation, she had been too busy with her own plotting to hear him, or maybe she's just not used to receiving suggestions from members of other teams, or maybe she's just distracted. It often happens to her, but fortunately only far from the battle.

"Ah, yes. Oragath, I almost forgot I could use you here, ha ha ha", she smiles brightly, happy she has another lead to being useful, "Why, your divine guidance is most welcome. If you can cooperate with Cassi, here, it might even be better", she then shrugs, making a sheepish grin, "About me... Unfortunately, my knowledge of magic is limited to burning things, but I know enough to read a ritual scrolls if you need an amateur to speed things up"

Reynard
2010-03-13, 08:01 AM
Captain, I need to know what you want to see about it to complete the ritual. is there something specific you want to know about it? I also have a different ritual, that can copy this ritual in a mere 20 minutes, giving us a better chance of finding things out. The ritual is called Amanuensis

"This ritual only comes with enough reagents for single Object Reading. But if you happen to have enough of your own to cast whatever rituals you think would be appropriate, then feel free."

"Oh, indeed? How specific is this guidance?"

Kol Korran
2010-03-13, 09:33 AM
Oragath seem to ponder this for a few seconds "It's hard to fully understands the preferences of the gods. they seem to favor the most rewarding option between those presented to them. risk is taken into consideration, but to a lesser degree than reward. if for example we'd ask whether it's best to wait here, travel down the tunnels towards Brundannon, hide deeper within them, or perhaps try our skills against the Brothers search party, it would point to the greatest reward." Oragath makes a religious sign over his chest. "Moradin favours the brave. unlike most rituals, this costs us nothing, part of my connection to my god."
he then seem to ponder for a bit more, whispering to the spirits surrounding him, appearing a bit off. "If you wish, i could explore these caves, perhaps with a few others, maybe find a more defensible position? my people are at home underground, and i have studied the lore of earth and rock. I will let you think and decide Captain, I wish to make myself usefull.." the Ever dutifull Oragath then turns, and goes to help Erin with her defenses.

Mokuren
2010-03-13, 10:01 AM
"If you wish, i could explore these caves, perhaps with a few others, maybe find a more defensible position? my people are at home underground, and i have studied the lore of earth and rock. I will let you think and decide Captain, I wish to make myself usefull.."[/COLOR] the Ever dutifull Oragath then turns, and goes to help Erin with her defenses.

At the mention of exploring the tunnels deeper, Kobacha snaps her fingers, "I was just about to ask the same, captain. You mentioned nobody really knows where all the tunnels go, this means that if we learn even just a little bit of it we'll have an edge over our pursuers we might be able to pull".

She then flashes a smile at Oragath, "And divine guidance is always welcome. Althought I would prefer to hear the reasons for your god's answer rather than the answer itself, but I'll gnaw on any bone thrown my way considering the situation".

As she turns to the captain once again, she has a more confident expression, "With your permission, captain, I would like to take Oragath and Casavir for a brief exploration of the tunnels behind us. Or, if you prefer to keep Casavir's keen senses and animal friend for sentry duty, I might borrow Elzren, thought at this point it may be better to just send Natasha with them, since they're both her men after all".

Reynard
2010-03-13, 11:10 AM
"Okay, Oragath, cast your ritual. I'll have the questions ready by the time you're done."

"I dislike splitting up with the enemy breathing down our necks, Kobacha, but you have a point. Once Oragath's ritual has been cast, and you have some idea where to go, take him and Eleanor and explore the caves. I'd rather keep Casavir on scouting duty above ground for now, it's what he's best at."

deathpigeon
2010-03-13, 11:49 AM
Lo-Kag rises, I request permission to join the scouting team!

Penny67
2010-03-13, 02:51 PM
May I also go on the scouting mission, so as to help wherever I can, Captain?

Kol Korran
2010-03-13, 04:51 PM
Oragath smiles broadly, glad that his suggestions prove usefull to the team. before he had kept the ritual to himself, not wishing to share the sacred bond with his god with the others, but times were changin.

"Adaruk Sora noh Moradin. Ita Dakum Oragath Trum. Moiret Agati..." Oragath beings to intone the ritual. those close to him hear faint echoes to his deep chant, as if many weaker voices are repeating (or perhaps guiding?) his words. as the ritual deepens Oragath shakes slightly in fervor, until after about 10 minutes of praying he suddenly opens his eyes, to the floating transperent Large hand before him. his gaze still transfixed on it, he whispers "Ask your questions captain, the Earth Lord is listening"

Blaine.Bush
2010-03-13, 06:51 PM
Tarak, Half-Orc Brawler

The convict heads back to the corner of the cave, muttering something under his breath as he does so. "Suck-ups. 'Captain, may I?', really? Geez..." Tarak sits back down with a scowl on his face.

deathpigeon
2010-03-13, 07:15 PM
Tarak, Half-Orc Brawler

The convict heads back to the corner of the cave, muttering something under his breath as he does so. "Suck-ups. 'Captain, may I?', really? Geez..." Tarak sits back down with a scowl on his face.

Lo-Kag turns and glares at Tarak, I asked to go along, not to curry favor with the captain, but because anything beats just sitting hear and doing nothing. Now shut up.

Blaine.Bush
2010-03-13, 09:53 PM
Tarak, Half-Orc Brawler

Lo-Kag turns and glares at Tarak, I asked to go along, not to curry favor with the captain, but because anything beats just sitting hear and doing nothing. Now shut up.

The fighter stands up, staring Lo-Kag in the eye. He puts a hand on the hilt of his sword as he walks toward the Goliath. Breaking into a jog, Tarak draws his weapon, still heading toward Lo-Kag. He runs right past him, though, heading into the tunnels leading farther into the cavern system.

RedBeardJim
2010-03-13, 10:24 PM
Branden watches Tarak run past, then walks back towards the cluster of officers. "What's he on about this time?"

Loxagn
2010-03-13, 10:47 PM
Erin stepped back, examining her (admittedly amateurish) handiwork, but she had no experience with any sort of fortification. "This is.. completely not what I am cut out for..."

deathpigeon
2010-03-14, 12:02 AM
Tarak, Half-Orc Brawler

The fighter stands up, staring Lo-Kag in the eye. He puts a hand on the hilt of his sword as he walks toward the Goliath. Breaking into a jog, Tarak draws his weapon, still heading toward Lo-Kag. He runs right past him, though, heading into the tunnels leading farther into the cavern system.

Lo-Kag stands unflinching against Tarak's charge, and when Tarak passes Lo-Kag, Lo-Kag turns to see where he was going. Not seeing anything he shrugs and calmly follows saying, Better than here I guess.

Reynard
2010-03-14, 08:53 AM
((For the record, this is going on while Oragath is casting his ritual))

May I also go on the scouting mission, so as to help wherever I can, Captain?

"I still need you to read this ritual, Corporal."She hands you the axe-head and the leather cylinder that contains the scroll and the components."I need as much info as possible. This might be able to tell us something about how they managed to betray us. And the Gods know we have so little information about-."

She stops as Tarak flees the cavern, sword in hand. She turns to face the way he left, and if looks could kill, that whole passage would have been turned to rubble. Then, as Lo-Tag walks after him, she snaps.
"By the gods. Are you all newborn wailing babes!? So things didn't go they way we planned, but this is a goddamn war, this crap happens. And it happens to us more often because we're sent on suicide missions and are expected to succeed. It's something you'll get used to, or you're be court-marshaled. You're bloody soldiers, so act like it! Unless you're GODSDAMNED COWARDS!"

"Sergeant Kobacha, those two are now on probation, which is a rather more serious business in the Untrusted. Lo-Tag is also stripped of his rank. If they don't come back within the hour, they're deserters. And as I'd rather not have to execute my own men, get them back here."

For Tarak:
You exit the passage and enter the main camp, the Captains shouts echoing behind you, to confused to make out. Ahead you can see the three tunnels leading out of this room; One down into the floor, and two in the wall on your right.

For Lo-Tag
You exit the passage and enter the main camp, the Captains shouts echoing behind you, to confused to make out. Ahead you can see the three tunnels leading out of this room; One down into the floor, and two in the wall on your right. Tarak is long gone.

deathpigeon
2010-03-14, 10:13 AM
Hey, Tarak, the captain is yelling for you, and me I guess, to come back, we should return to the camp.

Blaine.Bush
2010-03-14, 01:06 PM
Tarak, Half-Orc Brawler

Hey, Tarak, the captain is yelling for you, and me I guess, to come back, we should return to the camp.

Standing at the fork in the tunnels, Tarak pauses to call out to Lo-Kag. In a boisterous voice he yells, "Hah! I thought you wanted to get something done! Think we can't handle it?"

Penny67
2010-03-14, 01:57 PM
Taking the axe head, careful not to cut herself on it, Cassi holds it in her hand.
She takes the scroll, reads it, and says a few unintelligible but obviously powerful arcane words.
[roll0]

deathpigeon
2010-03-14, 06:55 PM
Tarak, Half-Orc Brawler

Standing at the fork in the tunnels, Tarak pauses to call out to Lo-Kag. In a boisterous voice he yells, "Hah! I thought you wanted to get something done! Think we can't handle it?"

Yes, but this is insubordination, and not how I wanted to do it.

Mokuren
2010-03-15, 09:27 AM
((For the record, this is going on while Oragath is casting his ritual))
"Sergeant Kobacha, those two are now on probation, which is a rather more serious business in the Untrusted. Lo-Tag is also stripped of his rank. If they don't come back within the hour, they're deserters. And as I'd rather not have to execute my own men, get them back here."

"Yes, captain!", she gleefully agrees with a prompty salute, before darting off to chase her men. She isn't running at top speed, because of course she wouldn't want to trip and fall, or worse even, get lost while navigating the underground tunnels.

The idea of putting two people on probation is still making her smile. If she didn't have a reputation for being helpful, she could be called a sadist at times. Granted, she is also known for being a shady two-face, so anything goes.

Loxagn
2010-03-15, 08:12 PM
"Lady Brocas." Erin approached her captain, bowing once more. "I believe I have done all that I can for the fortifications. Is there any other task you would request of me before I retire for the day?"

Silver Coin
2010-03-16, 05:53 AM
Natasha sat through the whole episode in silence, gazing into the fire, the flames of the wood-fire casting a reddish hue over her. There was something about the way the flames danced and flickered that was so mesmerising. Picking up a small stone, she tossed it into the fire, breaking up a small log. The shape of the flames changed ever so slightly in response, almost as though it was alive.

Well, this hadn't been the only time she had been on the run. In fact, it seemed to take up a significant part of her life. Not something to be altogether please about, but a fact nonetheless. She'll make it through. Somehow.

Blaine.Bush
2010-03-16, 10:24 PM
Tarak, Half-Orc Brawler

Yes, but this is insubordination, and not how I wanted to do it.

Still standing at the divergence of the tunnels, the fighter yells, "Leave, then. I'll take care of it."

deathpigeon
2010-03-16, 10:40 PM
Tarak, Half-Orc Brawler

Still standing at the divergence of the tunnels, the fighter yells, "Leave, then. I'll take care of it."

Lo-Kag walks up to Tarak and attempts to grab him saying, I did not come here to play games with you, and I will not come back empty handed.

[roll0] vs. Fortitude

Reynard
2010-03-17, 12:37 AM
Back in the cavern, the rituals are reaching a close. For the last ten minutes the cavern ecohed to the sound of Oragrath's low rumbling chant and Cassie's whispered summons.

Oragrath's Ritual
A gauntleted spectral hand rises out of the stone, and awaits Oragrath's questions.

Captian Brocas walks over to inspect Oragrath's results.
“Is it done? Okay, first question: What's less likely to get us killed, going into the caves, or going outside and trying to outrun our pursuers?”

Oragrath repeats the question, and the hand sweeps to the east, deeper into the caves.

“Second:...” She bends down and places four items on the ground, around the hand. “...this dagger represents going back outside and trying to kill our way back to relative safety. The helm represents trying to find our way though the caves and out another exit, and the cloak represents taking the caves to get to Brundannon and hiding amongst the public, trying to find a stealthy way back to Arcova. And last, the belt represents trying to hunt down the dwarves and getting them on our side.

“Which is most likely to succeed?”

The hand does nothing for a moment, before pointing at the space between the helm and the cloak.

“Very helpful.”

“Last: Should we remain here, or leave as soon as possible?”

The hand beckons, and continues to do so as it fades away to nothing.

“Okay, Oragrath, explain.”

Cassi's Ritual
The axe head Cassi holds suddenly glows a faint white. The ritual is complete.

“What were you used for?”, she asks, before closing her eyes to better see the images. The axe head gets brighter.
Cassi only:
A hideous series of images fly though your minds eye; images of the dead and the dying, of people being killed by the axe, of limbs being cloven from the body. They come so think and fast that you start to feel ill. You've seen scenes like this since joining the Untrusted, but nothing on this scale. Towards the end, the images start slow to slow, and the uniform people on the receiving end of the axe changes into that of the Arcovan military.

Then, the images get familiar to you, as if you've seen them before. The axe sinking into the back of an Arcovan general, then the chest of another, both faces you recognise, although you can't remember the names. Then, slowest of all, the image of a woman. A woman you've seen in your dreams since you were a child. Your mother, you mother being killed. And last, you see yourself from all those years ago, a fourteen year old consumed in rage, raw magic flying from your eyes and hands, tearing into the axe and it wielder, tearing them both apart.

Cassi seems badly shaken by whatever it is she sees, pausing for a minute before asking the next question.

“Who- Who used you last?”
Cassi only:
Now you see the man who killed all those people, who killed your mother, and likely your father, whoever that is.

The man resembles a great bear, 6 feet of muscle. Scars cover every inch of skin you can see under the blood-spattered armour made of animal skins. His hair is a greying black, long and tied back in a braid. Chains of precious metals, sometimes with gems hanging in small clasps, have been woven into the braid, along with coloured thread and other things that probably have some significance to the man. His eyes are a simple brown, and his face is wrinkled from age, rage, and laughter.

Now that you can see him clearly for the first time, you recognise the face, or at least it's profile. It's stamped onto the silver coins of Stronghaven. Chests of which you and your fellows have stolen in raids.

“Why were you used to betray the King?”
Cassi only:
You see people. Women, children, old and young, sick and healthy. All traveling, all wondering. You see empty food stores, empty waterskins. Then you see the Valley. You see those same people living happily, without fear of starvation or drought.

Goonthegoof
2010-03-17, 02:20 AM
Sorry I'm late, got caught up in the packing (we're moving houses tomorrow, only found out recently). As far as I can see I'm being sent out to scout along with Tigersoul, so I'll play from there, someone correct me if I'm wrong

Casavir climbs onto his dire wolf and turns to Walgold. Sorry to keep you waiting, want to head out now?

Kol Korran
2010-03-17, 02:53 AM
Oragrath's Ritual
A gauntleted spectral hand rises out of the stone, and awaits Oragrath's questions.

Captian Brocas walks over to inspect Oragrath's results.
“Is it done? Okay, first question: What's less likely to get us killed, going into the caves, or going outside and trying to outrun our pursuers?”

Oragrath repeats the question, and the hand sweeps to the east, deeper into the caves.

“Second:...” She bends down and places four items on the ground, around the hand. “...this dagger represents going back outside and trying to kill our way back to relative safety. The helm represents trying to find our way though the caves and out another exit, and the cloak represents taking the caves to get to Brundannon and hiding amongst the public, trying to find a stealthy way back to Arcova. And last, the belt represents trying to hunt down the dwarves and getting them on our side.

“Which is most likely to succeed?”

The hand does nothing for a moment, before pointing at the space between the helm and the cloak.

“Very helpful.”

“Last: Should we remain here, or leave as soon as possible?”

The hand beckons, and continues to do so as it fades away to nothing.

“Okay, Oragrath, explain.”

Oragath rises up, and speaks "Well, the first answer is fairly simple, Moradin motions us to the caves. however beware- the Hand favours reward over risk, so it may not have answered your question exactly. going deeper to the caves WILL yield more reward, but it might be risky.

as to the second answer... the signs of Moradin are not always easy to understand. usually it would only choose betwen the choices given, but now it had chosen a middle path. perhaps this means that there is another choice that Moradin tries to steer us to, but i think this is not the case. i think that this means we need to split up. some of us towards Brundannon, and some of us to seek another exit.

as to the third answer, we should definetly leave NOW. the longer we wait, the bigger the danger."

Oragath bows slightly "I hope that was helpfull, i'll get my pack and tel lthe others, the road seem clear."

Mokuren
2010-03-17, 06:31 AM
Lo-Kag walks up to Tarak and attempts to grab him saying, I did not come here to play games with you, and I will not come back empty handed.

Kobacha is not exactly a sprinter, but she's definitely a long distance runner, and considering the two have not yet took any turn in an intersection of tunnels, she managed to find them before it was too late.

... Or is it?

"Aha, there you are!", she exclaims as they enter her field of vision, but the sight of two large, burly men arguing and touching each other seems to trigger something in her mind, something that, after the initial surprise, paints a large, mischevious smirk in her face.

"Oh... Sorry, did I interrupt something?".

deathpigeon
2010-03-17, 07:15 AM
Kobacha is not exactly a sprinter, but she's definitely a long distance runner, and considering the two have not yet took any turn in an intersection of tunnels, she managed to find them before it was too late.

... Or is it?

"Aha, there you are!", she exclaims as they enter her field of vision, but the sight of two large, burly men arguing and touching each other seems to trigger something in her mind, something that, after the initial surprise, paints a large, mischevious smirk in her face.

NO!!!! I was just trying to bring him back, but as he refused, I have been forced to attempt to forcibly drag him back, a little help would be nice!

obasi42
2010-03-17, 11:30 AM
Casavir climbs onto his dire wolf and turns to Walgold. Sorry to keep you waiting, want to head out now?

No problem.

"Perfect. Let's head out in a second. But first, I want to check the area. I thought I might have heard something around here and I think I should stick around until I'm sure." Walgold looks around.

I'm waiting here for the results of my search.

Reynard
2010-03-17, 12:12 PM
Walgold/Casavir only.
"Perfect. Let's head out in a second. But first, I want to check the area. I thought I might have heard something around here and I think I should stick around until I'm sure." Walgold looks around.
Mere minutes after leaving the caves, you hear a pair of voices coming from the top of the steepish, tree-covered, bluffs to the east. They're very faint, so you guess they're still a few hundred meters away. You can just make out what they're saying, although the sounds of the surrounding countryside are enough to drown them out occasionally.

Listen, you pillocks, they're around here somewhere. We've-a bird sings close by-around with our hand up our arses for the last few miles.
Why ain't we sent scouts before?
Because these bastards are the Untrusted. Hiding in woods and picking off sentries is what they do. Now, be on the lookout for tracks and...

There is plenty over tree and bush cover between you and them, you can't see them, and they can't see you. Yet.

obasi42
2010-03-17, 12:20 PM
"Now this is what I joined the army for!" Walgold whispers to Casavir. "We've already gotten too far from the cave entrance. Now they're between us and reinforcements. It seems like we might have to do this alone. I say we comb the forests and try to catch them before they catch us. Do you think we should split up or stay together?"

RedBeardJim
2010-03-17, 08:07 PM
Natasha sat through the whole episode in silence, gazing into the fire, the flames of the wood-fire casting a reddish hue over her. There was something about the way the flames danced and flickered that was so mesmerising. Picking up a small stone, she tossed it into the fire, breaking up a small log. The shape of the flames changed ever so slightly in response, almost as though it was alive.

Branden walked over to the fire, dropping to a squat next to his sergeant. "Here Sarge. Get some soup in you."

Blaine.Bush
2010-03-17, 08:12 PM
Tarak, Half-Orc Brawler

[roll0] vs. Fortitude

... Or is it?

After pushing Lo-Kag's arms aside, the fighter retaliates with a grapple of his own. While reaching for the Goliath's neck, he shouts angrily, "Hah! You're lucky we're not alone, mage!"

Grab: [roll0] v Reflex

Silver Coin
2010-03-17, 08:53 PM
Natasha looked around, as though she was had been a little surprised by Branden's sudden appearance. Brushing her hair back behind her ears, she smiled a little uncertainly, then nodded slightly.

"Well, Yes, I suppose I should. I was just recalling some events from the past, and spaced out for a while. Thanks Corporal."

Picking her bowl back up, she started drinking her soup. He was right. She needed her sustenance and she had to take care of herself.

Penny67
2010-03-17, 09:21 PM
Cassi seems uneasy. She slowly stands up and says: "Captain, can I speak to you in private?"

Mokuren
2010-03-18, 04:20 AM
After pushing Lo-Kag's arms aside, the fighter retaliates with a grapple of his own. While reaching for the Goliath's neck, he shouts angrily, "Hah! You're lucky we're not alone, mage!"

"When you two have finished your lover's quarrel, would you be so kind as to come back to the camp before the captain gets completely pissed off and orders me to execute the both of you on the spot?", she says that with the same light-hearted tone she'd use to buy groceries, "Because, really, she's rather pissed now".

She doesn't seem to feel all that threatened, but then she also keeps a quite reasonable distance between herself and the other two. Crafty she is, but not stupid.

deathpigeon
2010-03-18, 07:13 AM
"When you two have finished your lover's quarrel, would you be so kind as to come back to the camp before the captain gets completely pissed off and orders me to execute the both of you on the spot?", she says that with the same light-hearted tone she'd use to buy groceries, "Because, really, she's rather pissed now".

She doesn't seem to feel all that threatened, but then she also keeps a quite reasonable distance between herself and the other two. Crafty she is, but not stupid.

Some help please?

Another grab attempt: [roll0] vs. Reflex

Reynard
2010-03-18, 12:52 PM
Oragath rises up, and speaks "Well, the first answer is fairly simple, Moradin motions us to the caves. however beware- the Hand favours reward over risk, so it may not have answered your question exactly. going deeper to the caves WILL yield more reward, but it might be risky.

as to the second answer... the signs of Moradin are not always easy to understand. usually it would only choose betwen the choices given, but now it had chosen a middle path. perhaps this means that there is another choice that Moradin tries to steer us to, but i think this is not the case. i think that this means we need to split up. some of us towards Brundannon, and some of us to seek another exit.

as to the third answer, we should definetly leave NOW. the longer we wait, the bigger the danger."

Oragath bows slightly "I hope that was helpfull, i'll get my pack and tel lthe others, the road seem clear."

"Splitting up? I dislike the idea, but you may be right. And leaving right now? Well, we could, but we have to send someone to go and grab our scouts.

"I'll think on it for a couple of minutes."

Cassi seems uneasy. She slowly stands up and says: "Captain, can I speak to you in private?"

"Hmm? Sure, come over here."
She leads Cassi into a small alcove in the cave wall, away from the rest of the soldiers.
Penny only:
"Is this about what you found out about the axe?"
((Use spoilers, and put 'DM only' or 'Reynard only' above them, if you don't want other people reading them.))

Kol Korran
2010-03-18, 02:18 PM
Ghosts is surprised that there is a delay. the scouts he understands, but "think of it for a couple of minutes"? what is there to think about? the gods have spoken. Nontheless he packs his back pack quickly, taking out the everburning torch and speaking the command word to make it lit.
"Natasha, Branden, Erin. prepare to move. oh, and someone get the scouts. i can do it if you prefer."

senrath
2010-03-18, 02:26 PM
Elzren had just wandered over to the group when Kol spoke. "I can go get the scouts." He said. "Unless anyone has any objections?"

Mokuren
2010-03-18, 04:16 PM
Some help please?

"I'm sorry to interrupt you again, but could you please save this for later?", Kobacha insists in not getting involved directly, "Captain already wants both of you on probation. Oh, and Lo, you don't have a rank anymore, I don't know how much you really cared".

She then points in the direction back at the camp, "So, we're actually moving now. Are you coming back and following us, or do you want to settle in enemy territory and build a new life, the two of you together?"

deathpigeon
2010-03-18, 04:43 PM
"I'm sorry to interrupt you again, but could you please save this for later?", Kobacha insists in not getting involved directly, "Captain already wants both of you on probation. Oh, and Lo, you don't have a rank anymore, I don't know how much you really cared".

She then points in the direction back at the camp, "So, we're actually moving now. Are you coming back and following us, or do you want to settle in enemy territory and build a new life, the two of you together?"

Lo-Kag yells at Kobacha, GODS DAMN IT, DID YOU EVEN LISTEN TO ME!!!! YOU ARE NOT INTERRUPTING, AND I AM TRYING TO BRING HIM BACK!!!!! NOW HELP ME OR BRING SOME ONE ELSE WHO CAN HELP ME!!!! and once again tries to grab Tarak.

[roll0] vs. Reflex

Loxagn
2010-03-18, 05:08 PM
Erin blinked at 'Ghosts' orders, glancing back with a bewildered look on her face. "Sir Trum, we are leaving already? If that is the case..." She nodded, dashing towards Shala and mounting as swiftly as she could. "I will go to aid Lady Kobacha in the retrieval of Sirs Lo-Kag and Tarak."
With that, she urged her horse forward, riding in the direction of the two missing, and Sergeant Kobacha...

senrath
2010-03-18, 05:30 PM
"And I'll just go get the scouts, then." With that, Elzren headed off in the general direction of the scouts, sword in hand. Hopefully he wouldn't have to use it, but he held onto it tightly, just in case.

[roll0] Stealth check as I go off searching for the scouts
[roll1] Perception, just in case I need it.

obasi42
2010-03-18, 05:36 PM
"Hold that thought. Someone's coming toward us." Walgold waited. "It's Elzren." He waved him towards them. "Any news from the camp?"

senrath
2010-03-18, 05:39 PM
"Apparently we're moving out now. We're supposed to meet back up with the main group." Elzren said, keeping his voice low, and his head down.

obasi42
2010-03-18, 05:44 PM
"Okay, but we've got news also. There are scouts around this area and they seem to have some experience. I was ready to see if we could take them, but on further thought, we might need more fighters. Do you have any means of communication with them? If not, we'll have to sneak back quietly before they hear or see us." Walgold said.

senrath
2010-03-18, 05:47 PM
"Let's just head back. I don't have any means of long-range communication." With that, Elzren turned to head back to the main group.

[roll0] Stealth, in-case I need it again.
[roll1] Perception, again in-case it's needed.

obasi42
2010-03-18, 05:52 PM
Walgold hurried after Elzren.

Stealth -
[roll0]

Perception -
[roll1]

Reynard
2010-03-18, 06:06 PM
The three of you make it back to the others without alerting the searching soldiers.

obasi42
2010-03-18, 06:48 PM
Walgold rushed to the captain. "Captain, I hear that you are moving out. I must warn you, there are scouts waiting for us in the forests. They do not yet know that we are in these caves, but we have only so long until they find out. We must get out of here. Are there any other exits that we can use? By the way, where are Kobacha, Tarak, and the goliath?"

Penny67
2010-03-18, 07:54 PM
DM only
Yes Captain, and some parts of it I don't wish to tell you of. They used this axe to betray the king, and I think it was so that they could... (OOC: can i use prestidigitation to cause the illusion to play back in front of you? darn.) I'm not sure, but it did look like (*goes into detail about what i saw, except the second part of the first question.

Reynard
2010-03-18, 07:59 PM
Penny only: Not without everybody in the room seeing it.

Blaine.Bush
2010-03-18, 08:12 PM
Tarak, Half-Orc Brawler

Lo-Kag yells at Kobacha, GODS DAMN IT, DID YOU EVEN LISTEN TO ME!!!! YOU ARE NOT INTERRUPTING, AND I AM TRYING TO BRING HIM BACK!!!!! NOW HELP ME OR BRING SOME ONE ELSE WHO CAN HELP ME!!!! and once again tries to grab Tarak.

The fighter continues to hold Lo-Kag by the neck, taunting him. He yells, "Yeah, you need help, don't you?!" Tarak then lets go of the warlock, pushing him away before leaping at him with a mighty punch. The half-orc's fist lands, striking Lo-Kag's face and causing him to bleed profusely from his nose and mouth.

"Off-Hand" Attack: [roll0]
"Off-Hand" Damage: [roll1]

Silver Coin
2010-03-18, 09:09 PM
Natasha finished the rest of her soup quickly, then piled some dirt onto the fire. Taking her bowl, she rinsed it slightly with her canteen and placed it back into her backpack.Well, it could be worse. At least they managed to finish their meal in peace. An empty stomach can be really bad on morale.

As she looked around waiting for the rest of the group, her hand went unconsciously to her pendent and brushing her fingers against it, just to make sure it's still there.

Kol Korran
2010-03-19, 03:53 AM
Oragath hears Wasgold's words. indeed Moradin has warned them all promptly! he hums silently to himself, the same old chant he hummed before while working. he tries to hide the defenses as best he can, or at least make them look as if they were used a long, long time ago. on occasion he seems to be speaking to someone, as he normally does: "yes, soon we'll leave... Dwarfs down below? really? a guidnace of Moradin!... No, I don't like those two Either... 4, i'd hazard, certainly no more than 7... Yes, I can't fathom her either..." and so on.

after some minutes have passed he stands ready to travel, his dwarven crafted rod in one hand, the ever burning torch in another. he approaches the Captain "Since you know the way to Brundannon, you'll not need my help there. my knowledge of the under earth world would best be used in the other party, I think."

Mokuren
2010-03-19, 05:01 AM
The fighter continues to hold Lo-Kag by the neck, taunting him. He yells, "Yeah, you need help, don't you?!" Tarak then lets go of the warlock, pushing him away before leaping at him with a mighty punch. The half-orc's fist lands, striking Lo-Kag's face and causing him to bleed profusely from his nose and mouth.[/QUOTE]

"Ok, ok, that's enough already", at this point, Kobacha makes a move forward, setting herself close enough to put her sword between the two, or even in, should something happen, and despite it's still sheathed she has shown to be able to draw and strike in an eye's blink.

"Look, I'll be as honest as I can: we're in a tight spot, you ran away on your own and pissed off the captain. This is serious enough, even if we all survive, you two might get executed anyways". She managed to not smirk until now, but it's clearly stronger than her for she puts up one as she continued, "Now, normally I'm very lenient and I'd allow a bit of impudence as long as you kill as many stronghaven soldiers as you can when I tell you to, but I'm not going to sit quietly and see two of my men beating the crap out of each other before a battle".

She does not move, but pauses to allow her words to seep in, "So, let's stop with the games. Now come with me, apologize to the captain, thank her for not sending other people to execute you immediately, and then do everything as I say and maybe you won't get killed anyways when we return home. Please, there's nothing as stupid as forcing a commander to kill her own men".

Loxagn
2010-03-19, 07:52 AM
Erin finally arrived, riding up to the telltale sounds of a scuffle, and those of her Sergeant's voice. "Please, cease the needless fighting, both of you! Lady Kobacha, I bring orders from Lady Brocas! We are to leave immediately, and we need all three of you back at the caverns so we can move out!"
Even as she spoke, she glanced around furtively, almost as if expecting an attack. This entire situation was putting her ill at ease.

A perception check, just in case:
[roll0]

RedBeardJim
2010-03-19, 09:46 AM
"Natasha, Branden, Erin. prepare to move. oh, and someone get the scouts. i can do it if you prefer."

Branden stands and brushes the dirt from the cave floor off his pants. "Right enough. Any word on which way we're going?" He settles his dagger in its sheath, remembering how he'd taken it from the hand of a fallen Stronghaven officer. As he heads to gather his gear, the hood of his cloak flips up over his head, then back down again, apparently on its own.

deathpigeon
2010-03-19, 12:28 PM
"Ok, ok, that's enough already", at this point, Kobacha makes a move forward, setting herself close enough to put her sword between the two, or even in, should something happen, and despite it's still sheathed she has shown to be able to draw and strike in an eye's blink.

"Look, I'll be as honest as I can: we're in a tight spot, you ran away on your own and pissed off the captain. This is serious enough, even if we all survive, you two might get executed anyways". She managed to not smirk until now, but it's clearly stronger than her for she puts up one as she continued, "Now, normally I'm very lenient and I'd allow a bit of impudence as long as you kill as many stronghaven soldiers as you can when I tell you to, but I'm not going to sit quietly and see two of my men beating the crap out of each other before a battle".

She does not move, but pauses to allow her words to seep in, "So, let's stop with the games. Now come with me, apologize to the captain, thank her for not sending other people to execute you immediately, and then do everything as I say and maybe you won't get killed anyways when we return home. Please, there's nothing as stupid as forcing a commander to kill her own men".

I am trying to return with this idiot, but as you can see, its not working.

Mokuren
2010-03-19, 12:34 PM
I am trying to return with this idiot, but as you can see, its not working.

"While I appreciate your concern, Lo, it did not ease the problem at all. As a matter of fact, our first and most important objective is to not die, and I fail to see how infighting helps".

She then smiles, "So. I'm going back to camp. Those who still want to return to Arcova, please come with me. As for the others, well, good luck, you're going to need it".

deathpigeon
2010-03-19, 12:37 PM
Lo-Kag tries to get out of Tarak's grip and says, I'll be right there.

[roll0] vs. Reflex (to escape the grab)

Loxagn
2010-03-19, 01:15 PM
Erin made a distressed sort of noise that sounded almost like a whimper, glancing about again and grinding her teeth. "Gods damn it... Sir Tarak, please let go of Sir Lo-Kag! Sir Lo-Kag, would you please stop struggling and return?! We do not have time for this; the Stronghaven troops are heading this way and we are to retreat immediately, if not sooner! Please, return to the base, lest more life be wasted today!"

Reynard
2010-03-19, 01:33 PM
Penny only:
As you describe the scenes you saw from your first question, the Captain puts her hand up and stops you.
"I can see where this is going, thank you. What else was there?"

You go on to describe the man you saw, the one who wielded the axe.
"...So, it's- hmm. Nevermind, go on."

Finally, you describe the final scene.
"Wait, are you sure that's what you saw? Are you completely certain?"

Before you can reply, Walgold interrupts...

Walgold rushed to the captain. "Captain, I hear that you are moving out. I must warn you, there are scouts waiting for us in the forests. They do not yet know that we are in these caves, but we have only so long until they find out. We must get out of here. Are there any other exits that we can use? By the way, where are Kobacha, Tarak, and the goliath?"

"Lo-Tag and Tarak ran deeper into the caves, and Sergeant Kobacha went after them. But scouts are bad news. Okay, we're leaving, everybody up, and head after Kobacha."

Kol Korran
2010-03-19, 01:47 PM
with a slightly disturbing assured grin on his face, Oragath heads into the caves, feeling right at home. all is going to Moradin's plan. he will find his purpose yet. the thought of tracking down the dwarves below made him smile.

deathpigeon
2010-03-19, 03:39 PM
Erin made a distressed sort of noise that sounded almost like a whimper, glancing about again and grinding her teeth. "Gods damn it... Sir Tarak, please let go of Sir Lo-Kag! Sir Lo-Kag, would you please stop struggling and return?! We do not have time for this; the Stronghaven troops are heading this way and we are to retreat immediately, if not sooner! Please, return to the base, lest more life be wasted today!"

Lo-Kag, finally released from Tarak's grip, turns and walks back to camp scowling.

Blaine.Bush
2010-03-19, 06:44 PM
Tarak, Half-Orc Brawler

With a smirk, the fighter follows the other three back to camp. Once there, he turns toward Lo-Kag, looking at the warlock's bloodied face. "Hah! Watch out, mage. Next time there might not be a sarge around to save your ass." Tarak then heads over to his backpack, smiling while he replaces all of his items and readies himself for the trip.

Mokuren
2010-03-19, 06:57 PM

"Ah, just in time", she grins and spins her still closed umbrella, "Thanks for coming, Erin. Can you check up on Lo before we go? Doesn't look serious, but I don't want to take chances".

She chuckles, eyeing her surroundings and waiting for a moment when she can speak without being overheard by others before continuing to the Goliath: "I don't think you should really worry, about being in probation I mean, but that was something very stupid you did back there. Next time something like this happens, call me, or Sergeant Natasha if it's one of her men".

She then gives him a pat on the arm and starts moving again, "Now stick close to me, I'll need proof to claim you're an invaluable asset for my team's artillery. He he".

Silver Coin
2010-03-19, 07:12 PM
Natasha picked up her backpack and rose quickly to her feet, following the little dwarven cleric. Someone else can bring up the rear.

Blaine.Bush
2010-03-20, 12:06 PM
Tarak, Half-Orc Brawler

The fighter slings the backpack over his shoulders, fastening and adjusting the straps. He lights his torch with one of the campfires, before stamping all of them out. Awaiting punishment from his captain, Tarak brings up the rear of the group.

Loxagn
2010-03-20, 03:33 PM
Erin nodded, dismounting and moving to Lo-Kag with a look of mild concern. "I must apologize for your injuries, Sir Lo-Kag. If I had come sooner, perhaps this might have been prevented..." She sighed, standing in front of him and pulling a cloth from her pack, taking care to wipe away the blood. "Nothing appears to be broken, thankfully. Hold still." She closed her eyes for a brief moment, a spark of white light flicking between her fingertips, erasing away the wound, and any pain with it. "Is there anything additional that you require?"

Not that it matters, but rolling for Healing Word.
Lo-Kag is healed for [roll0] hit points.

deathpigeon
2010-03-20, 03:34 PM
Erin nodded, dismounting and moving to Lo-Kag with a look of mild concern. "I must apologize for your injuries, Sir Lo-Kag. If I had come sooner, perhaps this might have been prevented..." She sighed, standing in front of him and pulling a cloth from her pack, taking care to wipe away the blood. "Nothing appears to be broken, thankfully. Hold still." She closed her eyes for a brief moment, a spark of white light flicking between her fingertips, erasing away the wound, and any pain with it. "Is there anything additional that you require?"

Not that it matters, but rolling for Healing Word.
Lo-Kag is healed for [roll0] hit points.

Thank you.

Reynard
2010-03-23, 01:47 AM
Stopping for a moment to pack up camp, you all follow your captain deeper into the cave system. The passages are winding, but strangely there are few tunnels that break off, and even fewer that you can actually use. Eventually, you enter a decent sized cavern with a number of passages leading out of it, some into the floor, some halfway up the walls.

"That way leads to Brundannon, and that's the way I'll be going. These other passages... the gods know where they lead. Some may lead out of this system, eventually, but a couple just go round in circles. But, thanks to Oragrath's ritual, it seems this is where we split up. One group goes with me to the city, while the other goes with the Lieutenant and looks for a safer way out of the caves.

"Who's going where?"

senrath
2010-03-23, 03:52 AM
"I think I'll help the group looking for a safer way out of the caves, unless anyone has a reason why I shouldn't." Elzren said, as he polished his blade.

obasi42
2010-03-23, 08:28 AM
"I'll go to Brundannon," said Walgold. "I need to replenish my stock anyway. Who's coming with me?"

Kol Korran
2010-03-23, 08:40 AM
Oragath rumbles one word "Caves"

Mokuren
2010-03-23, 08:40 AM
"I'm too much of an eyesore to go out in the city, he he", she says that while waggling her tail, which indeed does prove a point, "I'd rather stay here, I want to have at least the advantage of terrain knowledge should we have to resort to fighting".

Loxagn
2010-03-23, 11:36 AM
Erin sighed, mounting once more and settling in behind the others. "If there is to be danger in these caves... I will stay here, that I might be able to save others where I could not before."

RedBeardJim
2010-03-23, 11:38 AM
"I think I'd best come with you, Captain. I'm not much use in a cave, at least in a city I know how things work," says Branden simply.

Blaine.Bush
2010-03-23, 07:20 PM
Tarak, Half-Orc Brawler

Stopping for a moment to pack up camp, you all follow your captain deeper into the cave system. The passages are winding, but strangely there are few tunnels that break off, and even fewer that you can actually use. Eventually, you enter a decent sized cavern with a number of passages leading out of it, some into the floor, some halfway up the walls.

"That way leads to Brundannon, and that's the way I'll be going. These other passages... the gods know where they lead. Some may lead out of this system, eventually, but a couple just go round in circles. But, thanks to Oragrath's ritual, it seems this is where we split up. One group goes with me to the city, while the other goes with the Lieutenant and looks for a safer way out of the caves.

"Who's going where?"

After bringing up the rear of the group, the fighter listens to his captain's words. "I'm headed up top. Have fun in the caves, my friends," Tarak says with a gravelly laugh.

RedBeardJim
2010-03-23, 08:02 PM
Branden very carefully moves so that he is not between Tarak and the captain.

Penny67
2010-03-25, 08:38 PM
I would like to join in the caves, so as to not, let me say, reveal our presence. Also, I want my cat familiar to go with the people heading up, so we can know if anythings wrong.

Reynard
2010-03-26, 06:51 PM
If your passive perception (10+Perception Skill) is more than 25, open this first.You can just hear the sounds of digging coming from around you, but you can't tell which direction.
If it beats 20, open this first.
Something nags at the edges of your hearing, a faint rhythmic clanging in the distance.

Captain Brocas looks at those who haven't made up their minds yet with impatience. "Look, hurry up and choose already. It's fairly simple, stand near me if you want to go to Brundannon, and stand next to the Lieutenant if you want to find another way out of these godsdamnned caves.

"Unless you want to fart around and wait for-" The roof cuts her off with a mighty crash, the stone forcing out the air underneath and staggering those at the edges with a blast of dust and stone chippings.

"What the f*ck was that!?" Curses the captain, shaking her head and staggering upright. "Is... Is everyone alright?"

"I don't know, Sir." Comes the Lieutenants voice from across the cavern. "We were next to the passage, so those coming with me just got knocked back into it. What about your end?"

"Same. Wait, Corporal Mai-Khri? Corporal Newdegate? Anybody else there?!"

"Gods above...no...no, NO!"

You hear he scramble to her feet and begin frantically digging at rubble.

What do you do?

Blaine.Bush
2010-03-26, 06:58 PM
Tarak, Half-Orc Brawler

After the crash, the fighter stands calmly at the edge of the cavern. He watches his captain dig helplessly at the rubble, and shakes his head. "Hah. I doubt that's gonna help. Good luck, though," Tarak says, scoffing a bit as he does so.

Reynard
2010-03-26, 07:06 PM
The captain whirls around around and hurls her spear at Tarak. It takes him in the face, but luckily for him, it was thrown at an angle that didn't send a foot and a half of steel through his skull.

The impact slams his head against the wall, and he slumps to the ground, bleeding from both sides of his head.

"Nobody heal him with magic. Bind his wounds, make sure he doesn't die, but nobody heal him with magic." She looks a bit pissed off.

obasi42
2010-03-26, 07:55 PM
Walgold was frantic. He couldn't stand death. He ran to the wall of rubble in front of him, but found that his weapons were no better than his bare hands. He tried to pull the rubble away, but it was no use. Eventually, defeated, he slumped into a corner. When he saw what happened between Tarak and the captain, he realized that this was real.

This was war.

RedBeardJim
2010-03-26, 08:05 PM
Branden gazes at the fallen half-orc with distaste. "Never learn, do you?"

Cracking a sunrod from his pack, he moves to help the captain examine the rubble. "Who's not accounted for, Captain?"

Reynard
2010-03-26, 08:19 PM
"Oh, I don't know... the dust is still a bit thick in the air...haven't done a head count yet... The rubble is where the rest of the group were, those that hadn't decided. Seven at least. We can't afford these loses..."

She zones out towards the end, talking more to herself than anyone else.

RedBeardJim
2010-03-26, 08:35 PM
"Seven?!? Gods...." Branden trails off as the blood drains from his face. Looking around uneasily, he says, somewhat hesitantly, "Captain...like I said, I don't know much about caves, but does that sort of thing happen normally?"

Loxagn
2010-03-26, 11:16 PM
Erin had opened her mouth to say something to the Captain, but there suddenly seemed to be a critical lack of not-rocks in front of her.
"Wh-what..." Her eyes widened, and she leapt off Shala in a panic, frantically attempting to pull at the rocks. "Oh gods, no! Captain! Everyone... no, no, nonononono..."
It was then that she looked up and noticed that the slide left plenty of room at the top. "... Oh."
"Erm... Is everyone alright? Has anybody been injured?!"

Mokuren
2010-03-27, 06:43 AM
"Haaa~".

It may have not looked like much, but this sigh of dismay is actually one of the most genuine expressions of negative emotions that Kobacha has ever shown. She stands up, massaging the butt she just fell on and picking her umbrella back up, "This is why I hate being underground, the sky can't fall on your head".

She moves towards the pile of rubble, and the lack of hurry in her steps is a clear indication that her rational side has already calculated the outcome. She does try to use her umbrella as makeshift lever to pull some rubble aside, but it's predictably useless.

"Haaa~".

As if things weren't going awry enough already. She ceases her efforts before she falls and sprains an ankle, something they really don't need, especially in a dark cave when chased by the enemy. She carefully pats the captain on the shoulder, as if considering the possibility she might retaliate again, given how nervous she's become.

"Captain, I don't want to sound insensitive, but we both know we have no chance to clear this much rubble with our numbers and without proper tools. Not in time to save anyone who may still have an intact skull at least", she quickly scans their remaining numbers and... Damn, "We should get moving immediately, captain. This cave-in was pretty loud, it's likely that a scout party close enough to us could have heard it and we can't afford to give away our position now, we didn't come this far to die in a cave".

Kol Korran
2010-03-27, 11:56 AM
Ghosts checks the cave in throughly, expertly, wihtout showing much emotion. but he never shows much emotion, so who could tell. he seems to check the rocks and debris more than the wounded or dead people. finally he comes to a conclusion.

checking out to see what he can learn about the cave in- natural, unnatural, could there be more coming, stability of the area, anything else.
Dungeoneering +15 [roll0]

senrath
2010-03-27, 04:28 PM
Elzren stood motionless, staring at the rocks that occupied the space that his companions had previously taken up. He wasn't a stranger to death, but for it to come so suddenly, and not in battle shook him up quite a bit. After a moment, he shook his head, and regained his composure.

"Captain!" He called out. "This mightn't have been natural. Just before the cave in, I managed to hear a kind of rhythmic clanging sound in the distance. Kind of like metal hitting rock, I think."

obasi42
2010-03-27, 04:57 PM
Walgold got up and shook himself off. He knew that sitting in a corner was doing no good for the group. "That reminds me, I heard something too. I'm pretty sure I heard the sound of somebody digging. Perhaps someone on the surface used some sort of metal device to dig into the earth?"

Reynard
2010-03-27, 05:26 PM
From the depths of unconsciousness, Tarak still manages to quip."You mean a shovel?"

After the captain fails to respond, Lieutenant Stokys spoke up. "Really? Damn it. We should be too deep by now for anyone on the surface to affect us. Captain, what do we do? Do we stay and try and dig up any survivors, and possibly get caught, since it's clear someone knows we're here, or do we continue the plan?"

"...I don't know."

"Captain..."

"...I said I don't know. I'm not fit to lead. You choose." She seems to be barely holding in tears.

"Yes, sir. Okay, Erin, give them their last rites. We're leaving, we're going to follow the plan."

"Wait, where's Francis? Where's my brother?...Oh, gods..."

obasi42
2010-03-27, 06:32 PM
Walgold walks to Eleanor and puts his hand on her shoulder. He spoke to her in a soft voice.
"We can't save him. Your brother is gone. We have all suffered losses in this tragic event, but we can't let that get in our way. Do not be sad, your brother has gone to a better place. He is looking down on you now, and he might very well help you in your time of need. Do not grieve, be glad."
He then turned to the stunned group.
"Take your sadness, take your anger, take your pain, and turn it upon the Stronghaven forces. We can't fight each other, it only makes us weaker. If we come together as friends," he caught Tarak's eye. "We have a chance to defeat the forces built up against us."
Walgold returned to his corner, this time with a fire in his eyes, and crouched, ready to depart.

Silver Coin
2010-03-27, 08:30 PM
Natasha walked up to the captain and placed a hand on her shoulder to calm her a little, speaking softly.

"It's not your fault. Let it go. You are still our captain. Get yourself together and we can still get out with our lives intact. I still believe in you captain. It's okay to let the lieutenant take care of things for a while, but you still have to make your own decisions in the end. We need you at your best captain."

Truth be told, Natasha herself was shaken badly. The rockfall had barely missed her. Still, now was not a good time to break. Now was the time to salvage what could be salvaged and move on. Because their enemies are certainly still heading in at full speed.

Penny67
2010-03-28, 01:34 PM
Cassi remembers a certain Ritual she has never cast before, and thinks it will come in use.

"Who is the strongest person here? I have a ritual that can increase the strength of a single target, maybe we can get this stuff out of the way, and help any alive?"

She appears badly shaken, for obvious reasons.

Kol Korran
2010-03-29, 08:24 AM
Ghosts stops examining the cave in. He suddenly speaks with a much more serious, authorative, and perhaps a bit urgent voice "We leave, and we leave now! and we're making too much noise, try and be quiet. now Captain, lieutenent. now!"

Loxagn
2010-03-29, 03:10 PM
Erin nodded solemnly, bending low over those who had fallen. Again... Again, I cannot do anything to save them... She heard Oragath's frantic voice, but merely whispers a few words in Elven. "<Rest forevermore, you who have fallen before your time... Your spirits gain eternal peace, that your bodies return to the dust whence you came...>"
She stood wordlessly. It was by no means a proper burial, but it would have to do. "Lady Brocas, I too heard the noise. Sir Trum is right. We must away, immediately."

Reynard
2010-03-29, 05:40 PM
After looking at Captain Brocas for a moment, the Lieutenant jogs over to the groups' third in command, Kobacha.

Kobacha only:
”Look, I don't think the Captain should be the one leading the group heading for the city. She is, with all due respect, unable to lead at the moment. I'm going to declare myself Acting Captain until she recovers, but I'll need your support, as the third highest ranking officer, to do that.

If you agree, I'll give you a battlefield promotion to Acting Lieutenant, and then order you to lead the group looking for another way out of the caves, find an army fort, and give a report on what happened. But I'd leave the Captain's breakdown out of it, and say she promoted you, If I were you.

I've got some ideas about what we'll do once we reach Brundannon, so tell them we'll act as spies if necessary. But we need to leave now."

He then walks over to the Captain, and kneels down next to her.

"Captain, we need to go. Since you seem to be unable to lead us for now, I'm declaring myself acting Lieutenant.

"Kobacha, take the group heading for the surface, and go, now. Pick a passageway, any passageway. I'll go with the group heading for Brundannon."

He helps the shell-shocked captain to her feet, whispers to her for a moment, then heads for the far left passageway.

"Come on you lot, move. Move!"

senrath
2010-03-29, 05:50 PM
"Good luck, everyone." Elzren said, as he moved towards Kobacha, waiting for direction. He was still rather shaken, but was hiding it well.

RedBeardJim
2010-03-29, 06:28 PM
"Right, Lieutenant," replies Branden. He resettles his pack and joins the group heading towards Brundannon.

obasi42
2010-03-29, 07:02 PM
After a few moments of decision, Walgold headed for the Lieutenant. He felt that he would be more useful in the city.

Kol Korran
2010-03-30, 02:32 AM
Oragath waits, a bit impatiently for the group going to the caves to follow, trading soft urgent whispers in dwarven with... the voices only he hears "yes, i think they were... all the way down, then up... i thought so myself!"

Mokuren
2010-03-30, 04:54 AM
The other sergeant waves the city group away with a grin, particularly the lieutenand, "Good luck, everyone! Let's meet alive and well back home".

She then turns to what is left of her forces, shooting part of her grin to Elzren, "So, please excuse me if I don't take the lead but I hate being underground. Fortunately, we have someone who can get us to a safer place. Isn't that right, Oragath?".

She looks at the dwarf, which... Seems to be muttering something under his breath. "See? He's into it already", she comments, trying to not facepalm in front of her men. It wouldn't have been good for morale.

Kol Korran
2010-03-30, 09:41 AM
Oragath comes out of his reveree. "right, lets see if we can guide us out of here." Oragath concentrates, trying to find the best way through the caves, listening to anything that might mean trouble, looking for anything of importence, navigating the group through the underground. at various point Ghosts seem to seek advice from his ghostly friends, speaking in dwarven the entire time. the silence is deepening...

not sure what i should roll here, but i gave a few rolls for dungeoneering (duh), nature (natural creatures/ dangers?) and perception (included an extra +2 from kobacha. if this is some sort of a skill challange, then i'll try and used my best skills when applicable.
dungeoneering:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Nature:
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Perception:
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
hope this works

Silver Coin
2010-03-31, 01:13 AM
Natasha stepped away from the captain. The captain was clearly in a daze and wasn't taking any of it in. She needs some time to recover from the shock.

Turning back to face the rest of the group, she contemplated to consider their current situation. Whatever the case, they need to get moving. The problem now is what to do about the captain. At any rate, she'll go with whichever group is bringing the captain along. Erin would be able to take care of the other group well enough.

Reynard
2010-04-03, 04:05 PM
Group 1. (Brundannon)
Lead by the Lieutenant, who's in turn directed by the Captain, you make your way to Brundannon through the dry, lifeless caves.During the trip, Tarak recovers enough to stand and walk and travel, but the captain still refuses to let anyone heal him with magic. ((You can spend 4 healing surges to get all your HP back.)) After what feels like hours, the air starts to get dank and heavy, a cloying feeling in your mouths and noses that makes it hard to breathe. Then the ground gets squishy, Looking down, yoe see you are walking an a strange black substance, that smells to high heaven.

Silver Coin and RedBeardJim only:
You see flutters of movement in the corners of your eyes, as strange shadows leap around the room, trying to hide from your lights.

Group 2. (Those looking for another way out of the caves)

Kol Korran only:
Compass directions are only to help you tell between the passages and keep your bearings. For reference, south is the now-collapsed tunnel.

Passage 1, West-North-West.

Dungeoneering: ((16 - Natural one))
Nature: ((19))
Perception: ((17))
For a moment, you forget everything you knew about caves, but can tell that creatures infrequent visitors to this place, from the overall lack of mess. The stone floors bear no tracks.

Passage 2, North-North-West, and sloping down.

Dungeoneering: ((26))
Nature: ((33 - Natural 20))
Perception: ((27))
This passage seems perfectly safe, until you get abut ten feet down, where you spot a very well made system of plates on the ground, disguised as large rocks. Here, you get an even more complete sense of the local fauna, that either there is none of it, or it's very tidy with it's food and leavings.There is nothing to see at the moment, though. The stone floors bear no tracks.

Passage 3, North.

Dungeoneering: ((28))
Nature: ((17))
Perception: ((28))
Like the last passage, this passage seems perfectly safe, until you get abut fifteen feet into it, on the look out for the same traps as before. an like in the first, you spot a very well made system of plates on the ground, again disguised as large rocks. You get no further clues about the wildlife, and see nothing else of note. The stone floors bear no tracks.

Passage 4 North-East, sloping down..

Dungeoneering:((34))
Nature: ((22))
Perception: ((15))
This passage continues for about 20 feet before a sizable pit blocks your progress. You can't see the bottom, and the there is no obvious way across.

Passage 5, AKA Brundannon, South East.

Dungeoneering: ((17))
Nature: ((24))
Perception: ((21))The passage leading to Brundannon is clear, at least compared to the others. There is no gaping pit, no pressure plates, and nothing in the way of wildlife.

Kol Korran
2010-04-03, 04:51 PM
Ghosts frowns at his examinations. he seem troubled after checking some of the caves (4 in number, not including the one going to Brunnadon). he then turn to the group: there is someone living in the caves. someone intelligent enough to build traps in stone and disguise them. they might be the ones who caused this collapse.

the north east passage leads to a large pit, so we can't go there.

the two other northern passages lead to pressure plates- traps hidden by carefully placed rocks. the western one of those two slopes deeper.

the western passage seems ok, but that might just be that i haven't noticed the traps there. i suggest we continue in one of the two northenr passages, carefully avoiding the traps. we might perhaps be able to converse with the denzines of these caves, they might lead us to another exit. they might even be dwarves!

but i digress. Kobacha, the decision is yours. i would urge caution though. it is appearant that the inhabitants here do not welcome visitors...

Oragath whispers the accompanying spirits to be quiet, while he waits.

the following rolls should be used for Oragath when the party makes it's move. if they do go to the trapped corridors, he will show them how to avoid the plates. the rolls are for any otherwise needed occasion

dungeoneering [roll0]
nature [roll1]
perception [roll2]

dungeoneering [roll3]
nature [roll4]
perception [roll5]

dungeoneering [roll6]
nature [roll7]
perception [roll8]

Blaine.Bush
2010-04-03, 05:06 PM
Group One: Brundannon

Tarak, Half-Orc Brawler

The fighter continues to trudge along silently, occasionally pausing to wipe fresh blood from the side of his head and wait for the light-headedness to end. After stepping onto the squishy black terrain, Tarak says, "Ugh! What is this stuff?" He puts his hand up to his nose. "Gods, that smells."

RedBeardJim
2010-04-03, 06:25 PM

Grimacing as his own boots squelched in the muck, Branden replies, "I don't know. But....there's something else here. I can't -- " the sorcerer bites off an oath as his hood again flops over his head, this time obscuring his vision. "Lieutenant. There's....something around us. Just at the edge of the light."

Perception check:
1d20+3=4 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2465888/). Wow, that's dismal.

Reynard
2010-04-03, 06:57 PM
"...Really? I can't see anything..."

"Check it out, I'll guard the Captain"

Branden starts to look closer at the surrounding, but his hood yet again falls over his eyes. As he goes to push it off, he pokes himself in the eye with his thumb.

"AHAASHIMOTHERINGBASTAaarr..."

Blaine.Bush
2010-04-03, 09:54 PM

Tarak, Half-Orc Brawler

The fighter scrapes the dried blood away from his face before looking towards the edge of the light. After Brandon's shout, he turns quickly, placing his hand on the hilt of his sword. Tarak begins to mutter something rude but stops after sharp looks from the captain and lieutenant and the memory of a spear to the face.

obasi42
2010-04-03, 10:02 PM

Walgold Tigersoul, Human Rogue

Walgold muttered something under his breath about incompetent soldiers and where they should be unceremoniously placed. He then searched for himself.
[roll0]

Silver Coin
2010-04-03, 11:02 PM
Natasha quietly placed her hand on her holy symbol. There was something else around, and she wanted to be ready for anything. Placing her spare hand on her mount, she attempted to comfort he jittery beast. Horses are not used to being underground after all. Glancing around, she attempted to get a better evaluation of their foes.

perception [roll0]

Note: Only rolling for base, assuming that all sources for bonuses to perception are out of range.

As Branden's yell shattered the uneasy silence, she thumped him hard on the shoulder to get him to be quiet. But perhaps it was already too late.

Reynard
2010-04-03, 11:18 PM
Group 1. Brundannon

As Brandon stumbles around, holding a hand to a weeping eye, Walgold and Natasha expertly scan the cave.

Obasi and Silver Coin only:
You see four flowing black shadows move around the circle of light, what you assume must be eyes glow a deep, malevolent, red. They seem to be waiting for something, and are watchful of Natasha's symbol.
Silver Coin only:These tortured spirits are Wraiths. They're infused with the necromantic essence of the Shadowfell, spirits bereft of soul and body—a hollow vessel containing minimal personality and knowledge, if any.
It usually remains near where its physical form fell or was buried.
The touch of a wraith causes the victim to lose their ability to fight back. (Causes Weakness)

Silver Coin
2010-04-03, 11:36 PM
Natasha whispers what she knows to her team-mates, all the while trying to dig through her memory to seek further pieces of information.

Religion: 1d20+8

Natasha also readies Turn Undead.
Trigger: Three or more of the Wraiths come within her range.

RedBeardJim
2010-04-04, 04:20 AM
Wincing in pain, Branden manages to catch Natasha's information, and yanks his dagger from its sheath, his left eye flaring a sickly green as he glares at the flickering shadows.

Branden's current Wild Soul damage type is [roll0] = Poison. Until the end of our next extended rest, Branden has Resist 5 to poison, and his attacks ignore any target's resistance to poison up to 5.

Reynard
2010-04-04, 04:47 AM
The Wraiths continue to circle just outside the radius of your lights.

W-W-W-Who-o a-a-are-e y-y-you-u-u-u? They ask in unisoin.

W-W-W-Why-y h-h-have-e y-y-you-u c-c-come-e h-h-here-e-e-e?

Silver Coin
2010-04-04, 05:06 AM
Natasha watched the wraiths carefully, considering her response a little before replying, "We are on our way to Brundannon. We would be most grateful if you would allow us to simply pass on."

Change Trigger for Turn Undead to "any of the wraiths showing hostile intent (makes an attack roll or cast debuff) and two or more within range"

Reynard
2010-04-04, 05:33 AM
T-T-T-That-t o-o-only-y aw-awn-answered-red t-t-the-e s-s-second-d q-q-question.

Silver Coin
2010-04-04, 05:57 AM
Natasha glanced towards her two superior officers, and recieving no sign, simply replied, "We are soldiers in the service of Arcova. Please let us pass."

Mokuren
2010-04-04, 07:24 AM
Ghosts frowns at his examinations. he seem troubled after checking some of the caves (4 in number, not including the one going to Brunnadon). he then turn to the group: there is someone living in the caves. someone intelligent enough to build traps in stone and disguise them. they might be the ones who caused this collapse.

the north east passage leads to a large pit, so we can't go there.

the two other northern passages lead to pressure plates- traps hidden by carefully placed rocks. the western one of those two slopes deeper.

the western passage seems ok, but that might just be that i haven't noticed the traps there. i suggest we continue in one of the two northenr passages, carefully avoiding the traps. we might perhaps be able to converse with the denzines of these caves, they might lead us to another exit. they might even be dwarves!

but i digress. Kobacha, the decision is yours. i would urge caution though. it is appearant that the inhabitants here do not welcome visitors...

Oragath whispers the accompanying spirits to be quiet, while he waits.

Group 2: Cave explorers

"Mmmhmmm", Kobacha idly ponders upon the newly gathered information, a small smirk on her face as she begins to make plans for their delve into the unknown.

"Seems like we're still surrounded by hostile forces, except this time we don't know who they are or what they want, let alone how they work. It would be reckless to make assumptions on any of the above, so our first priority, I believe, is to learn who are our potential enemies". She quickly glances at those around her, now how to work with these...

"Very well. Oragath, you'll keep point, we're going to the northwest. Yes, I know we shouldn't go this deep already, but time is not really on our side so we'll have to take some risks", she flashes a smile at Elzren, "Elzren, you take the rear, watch our backs. Cassi, you stay in the middle with me, but keep three paces of distance, we don't want to be caught in another rockfall, so let's not help our trapping friends by clinging to each other".

"Erin, you follow Oragath from the point, but don't stay too close to him. Now everyone spread out, but always keep everyone else within sight; if you can't see each other, shout". She taps her closed umbrella on the ground a couple times, then heaves it over her shoulder. It's almost as big as she is, which doesn't mean much seeing how she's quite small, "Now let's get moving. If we find traps, let's just avoid them, no reason to let them know we're coming".

Reynard
2010-04-04, 08:51 AM
Group 1, Brundannon ho!
S-S-S-Soldiers-s-s?

W-W-W-We-e w-w-were-e s-s-soldiers-s- o-o-once-e...

O-O-O-One-e o-o-of-f u-u-us-s r-r-remembers-s-s A-A-Arcova-a-a...
B-B-B-But-t i-i-it-t h-h-has-s b-b-been-n m-m-many-y y-y-years-s-s-s-s-s-since-e w-w-we-e s-s-saw-w t-t-the-e l-l-land-d a-a-above-e-e....

Group 2, Spelunkers of Fortune
Stepping around the pressure plates that Oragrath points out, and led by him into the depths, you make you're way down, deeper into the rock and dark.

After a couple of hours walk, Oragrath is the first to notice a change in the floor of the cavern. It's been smoothed out, with incredible skill. After many more minutes pass by, following this strange underground road, the floor changes again, this time into large, differently coloured tiles. It's obvious that every single one is a trap or connected to a mechanism of some kind, but it's not obvious what they would do if set off.

Everyone in group 2 can look in here:

\\+++++//
||#####||
||#####||
||#####||
||#####||
||#####||
||#####||
||#####||
||#####||
||#####||
||#####||
//+++++\\

RedBeardJim
2010-04-04, 09:04 AM
Group 1: Brundannon

Branden stares around, the glow in his eye slowly fading. "You were soldiers? When? How did you end up in this state?"

History check:[roll0]

Reynard
2010-04-04, 09:14 AM
Group 1

W-W-We-e d-d-did-d n-n-not-t a-a-all-l d-d-die a-a-at-t t-t-the-e s-s-same-e t-t-time-e...W-W-W-We-e h-h-have-e l-l-lost-t-t-t-track-k o-o-of-f t-t-time-e...

A-A-As-s f-f-for-r w-w-why-y w-w-we-e a-a-are-e i-i-in-n t-t-this-s-s-s-state-e...

W-W-W-Why-y, t-t-the-e O-O-Otyugas-s-s, o-o-of-f c-c-course-e-e-e...H-H-H-Have-e y-y-you-u n-n-not-t m-m-met-t t-t-them-m? T-T-T-They're-e g-g-great-t e-e-entertainment-t-t...

Mokuren
2010-04-04, 09:30 AM
Stepping around the pressure plates that Oragrath points out, and led by him into the depths, you make you're way down, deeper into the rock and dark.

After a couple of hours walk, Oragrath is the first to notice a change in the floor of the cavern. It's been smoothed out, with incredible skill. After many more minutes pass by, following this strange underground road, the floor changes again, this time into large, differently coloured tiles. It's obvious that every single one is a trap or connected to a mechanism of some kind, but it's not obvious what they would do if set off.

\\+++++//
||#####||
||#####||
||#####||
||#####||
||#####||
||#####||
||#####||
||#####||
||#####||
||#####||
//+++++\\

Kobacha stops as she sights the differently coloured tiles that make up the floor ahead of her. There is a light grin in her face, as always happens when something troubling pops up.

"Well, well, well, it looks like we're up for a game of dwarven twister", she announces, "Oragrath, you have any idea what any of these do? I doubt we can simply leap over the whole thing, and I'm pretty sure whoever made this is crafty enough to have build a countermeasure for that as well".

She kneels to examine the floor, though keeping a safe distance to prevent accidental activation of whatever could be activated, "I wonder how they work...".
Arcana check to see if there's magical runes, a peculiar pattern or signs of magical tampering. Or whatever else.
[roll0]

Reynard
2010-04-04, 09:50 AM
Group 2.

Mokuren: There is absolutely nothing magical about the tiles, it's all mechanical.

Blaine.Bush
2010-04-04, 12:18 PM

Tarak, Half-Orc Brawler

After shaking off the initial surprise of being surrounded by wraiths, the fighter musters up his courage and steps forward. Before speaking, he adjusts his weapons so that they are more easily visible. "Alright, buddy," Tarak says to the wraith. "You can either get out of the way, or I'm gonna have to make you even more dead." He cracks his knuckles. "Understand?"

Intimidate: [roll0]
Yes, I know the wraiths are insubstantial. But Tarak believes violence can solve anything. Anything. :smalltongue:

Reynard
2010-04-04, 12:52 PM
W-W-W-We'd-d s-s-save-e t-t-that-t f-f-for-r t-t-the-e o-o-otyugas-s, i-i-if-f w-w-we-e w-w-were-e y-y-you-u...

W-W-W-We're-e s-s-surprised-d t-t-they-y a-a-aren't-t h-h-here-e a-a-already-y...

Kol Korran
2010-04-04, 02:06 PM
Group Two: Caves

Oragath seems a bit puzzled himself. nothing in his training prepared him for this. Perhaps i should have saved Moradin's guidance for this occurance" he says grimly. he checks out the cavern walls and plates, to see any sign, any sign at all to their effects (caring less to their mechanism). looking for splatters of blood, hidden spring holes, scorch marks and the like.

Dungeoneering [roll0]
Perception [roll1]
if there is no obvious sigh, Oragath mumbles to himself in dwarven for a moment, and a ghostly spirit of a long dead dwarf appears. Orgath motions it to start walking over the floor, stepping on the teal plate first, hoping that it's etherial weight would be enough.

(if there is any sign though, i might direct the ghost to a different place)

power: call spirit companion. if it suffers 13 hp from any single attack, it disappears and Orgath takes 8 damage. i'm not sure as to it's defenses though. i'm away from my books and the power's description on my sheet doesn't describe it. might it be my own defenses?

obasi42
2010-04-04, 02:16 PM
Group One, Brundannon Ho!

Walgold decided that it would be best to ready himself. He drew his rapier as he asked about these creatures. He had never heard of Otyugas where he was from. "Is there anything we should know about these creatures?"

He also racked his memory for any information he had heard about lost soldiers.

History roll. [roll0]
Also, perception and initiative for the Otyugas if they pop up.
Perception: [roll1]
Initiative: [roll2]

Reynard
2010-04-04, 02:27 PM
The Wraiths pause for a moment.

...Y-Y-Y-Yes-s-s-s...

...t-t-T-TENTACLES-S-s-s...

Blaine.Bush
2010-04-04, 02:42 PM

Tarak, Half-Orc Brawler

While drawing his sword, Tarak yells, "Alright, then. I'm ready for them!" He rotates in place, looking around the cavern. "Where are they? Where are the Otyugas?"

Reynard
2010-04-05, 08:40 PM
Group 2: Dwarven Twister. EXTREME! Edition.

Group Two: Caves

Oragath seems a bit puzzled himself. nothing in his training prepared him for this. Perhaps i should have saved Moradin's guidance for this occurance" he says grimly. he checks out the cavern walls and plates, to see any sign, any sign at all to their effects (caring less to their mechanism). looking for splatters of blood, hidden spring holes, scorch marks and the like.

Dungeoneering [31]
Perception [18]
if there is no obvious sigh, Oragath mumbles to himself in dwarven for a moment, and a ghostly spirit of a long dead dwarf appears. Orgath motions it to start walking over the floor, stepping on the teal plate first, hoping that it's etherial weight would be enough.

The walls have strange carvings of dwarves doing various activities or dwarves in various situations with other dwarves/creatures. While the plates themselves are merely very smooth. From what you can see through the gap between floor an plate, the mechanisms go to the walls of the passage. They're all independent, so it's likely each tile has a different effect.

The spirit ghostly form is too light to have any effect on the tiles. the elderly dwarf looks back at you. "Well well well. Sent me to die, did ye? Well well well..."

senrath
2010-04-05, 09:09 PM
Group 2: Spelunking is (Not) Fun!

Groaning slightly at the lack of progress, Elzren made his way to the front of the group. "Well, this isn't going anywhere fast. Tell you what, how about everyone stand back, and I figure out what these things do?"

With that, Elzren took a step forwards, putting his weight onto the nearest yellow panel.

Well, I couldn't come up with anything else to do, so Elzren is gonna suspend his intelligence for a moment. It was that or "face slightly less mild peril", as Reynard put it.

Reynard
2010-04-05, 09:17 PM
Group 2: Oh, yes it is.

\\+++++//
||#####||
||#####||
||#####||
||#####||
||#####+
||#####+
||#####||
||#####||
||#####||
||##@##||
//+++++\\

About halfway along the passage, a ten feet section of the east wall rises up with a deep grinding noise.

senrath
2010-04-05, 09:26 PM
Group 2: There better not be any elephants in there

"Huh. I expected a lot more pain. Especially of the stabbing variety." Not moving from the yellow tile, Elzren looked, as best he could, into the opening.

Assuming I can see anything at all inside the open section, here's a perception check. Elzren has low-light vision, if that makes any difference.

[roll0] (+8 from skill, +2 from the Warlord, +1 from the Elf)

Reynard
2010-04-05, 09:38 PM
The angle is too slight to see any further in to the new passage, but your keen hearing picks up the sound of clanking footsteps in the distance. Direction, what with the echoes and all, is unintelligible.

RedBeardJim
2010-04-05, 09:44 PM
Group 1: Citybound

Branden looks around. Nothing continues to happen. "Well, the 'otyugas' don't seem to be here. Perhaps we should continue on our way." To the flickering shapes he says, "I'm sorry we couldn't be more entertaining."

senrath
2010-04-05, 10:09 PM
Shrugging, Elzren stepped back off of the tile, and onto solid ground once more. "Well, this trap appears to be a lot more complex than I originally thought. I won't be able to tell what it can do just by randomly stepping on things. Also, something's coming. Can't tell from where, though."

Kol Korran
2010-04-06, 01:36 AM
Oragath motions the sarcastic spirit to look over the corridor "What do you see, kins man? what woe approaches?"

Mokuren
2010-04-06, 06:47 AM
Shrugging, Elzren stepped back off of the tile, and onto solid ground once more. "Well, this trap appears to be a lot more complex than I originally thought. I won't be able to tell what it can do just by randomly stepping on things. Also, something's coming. Can't tell from where, though."

Group 2: They don't sound like elephants to me...

Kobacha takes a step back, "Ah, well. Unfortunately, there's nothing magical about these tiles, and I don't think I can just jump over them, thought I guess I could try in two leaps for minimum damage".

What seems to be interesting her the most is, of course, the new opening in the side, "Let's not be reckless, we might still be able to talk our way out of this", she says, moving to put Elzren between her and potential danger, "But let's be ready for trouble, regardless. Cassi, on my command toss something confusing their way, but let's hold back our fighting spirit until we're sure there's no other way".

Loxagn
2010-04-06, 07:55 AM
Group 2: Trapped in a cave with a bunch of angry and paranoid dwarves. Oh boy.

Erin had followed a few paces behind Oragath, carefully leading Shala along the path, taking special care to help the horse around any traps. It was when they came to the room with the colored tiles that her mood worsened even further than it already was. The thought of the deaths in the tunnel weighed heavily on her, however much she tried to act like it didn't.

She stepped forward, opening her mouth to say something as Elzren moved, but the words died in her throat as the wall sprung up, the sounds of approaching footsteps reaching her ears. "Sir Hitaara, please do not be quite so reckless..." She added, in barely a whisper, almost as if talking to herself. "I cannot bear to lose anyone else..."

She sighed, kneeling next to Oragath and examining the tiles herself. "What do you think we should do, Sir Trum?"

Just rolling for everything here, just in case.
Perception: [roll0]
Insight: [roll1]
Dungeoneering: [roll2]
Nature: [roll3]
Religion: [roll4]
EDIT: Wow, those were **** rolls.

Kol Korran
2010-04-06, 08:10 AM
Group 2: guests are arriving, prepare the feast

She sighed, kneeling next to Oragath and examining the tiles herself. "What do you think we should do, Sir Trum?"

Ghosts grasped at his Rod, there were frenzied echoy whispers around him. then he heard Erin "I'm afraid we'll have to deal with whatever my cousins installed here to protect them. Kobacha may be right, to try to talk first, but i doubt if this will be the case..." He then refocuses on the spirit he sent, waiting to hear it's words.

Reynard
2010-04-06, 08:29 AM
Well well well, my boy... I see... fortifications. Someone expects trouble. Well well well... Intones the crotchety old spirit.

Just rolling for everything here, just in case.
Perception: [31]
Insight: [29]
Dungeoneering: [15]
Nature: [16]
Religion: [9]

You can clearly hear the sound of armoured feet pounding in rhythm coming from the opposite end of the corridor. You hear no voices, though.

Loxagn
2010-04-06, 08:40 AM
Group 2.

Erin sighed, standing once more. "If they speak Common, then I will attempt to negotiate.If they do not... Sir Trum, you may have to make the attempt..." She closed her eyes, whispering a few words of prayer under her breath. Melora, please guide us from more harm...

Kol Korran
2010-04-06, 09:21 AM
Oragath adds his own short prayer for Moradin to Erin. he then gives a short laugh and a playfull shove at Erin's leg "It has all been ordained Erin. worry not, the gods have a purpose in this as well. we must do our best, do our best" his voice trails off as the pounding footsteps near. the grasp on the rod tightens.

"Elzren, i suggest you step back" oragath adds quietly.

Reynard
2010-04-06, 11:16 AM
Group 1. Is Our LT Exalted? WHY THE HELL NOT?

...Ha-ah-ah-a-ha--ha-a-ha--a-ahah-a-ha-ah-aa... G-G-Good-d l-luck-k-k.

As a group, The Wraiths split off, floating backwards into the walls.

"That... That was not something I want to repeat. Let's get out of these damn caves. Come on, peop- LOOK OUT!"

In a flash, the Lt breaks off from the captain and charges towards a puddle in the darkness, spear pointing directly at it. You can't see what he's going for.

To Hit: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Reynard
2010-04-06, 11:23 AM
What ever he saw, his spear splashes into the puddle with a *squelch*. There is no sign he hit anything but mud.

Until two horrible barbed tentacles burst from the puddle towards him.

[roll0]
[roll1]

The tentacles wrap around his arms, and drag him closer to the puddle.

You hear more splashes, and two more sets of tentacles erupt from the darkness.

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

The first to arrive gets Tarak from behind, and he's pulled off to the side. He finally sees what's attacking them.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/art_preview/20080603_114837_0.jpg

As does Brandon, as the second pair of tentacles drag him into the dark.

((Tarak, you take 13hp damage, Brandon, you take 14. If it's convenient, put your current/total hp in your posts during this battle. Map 'n' stuff incoming.))

senrath
2010-04-06, 11:43 AM
Shrugging, Elzren took a few steps backwards. Negotiations weren't his strong suit, but he still wanted to be close to the front in case things devolved into fighting.

Reynard
2010-04-06, 12:00 PM
Group 1, fight.

INITIATIVE ORDER.
Lt - Lieutenant - 27 - Grabbed, -1 to hit, Filth Fever.
uB - Bard - 27
N - Natasha - 19
T - Tarak - 18 - Grabbed, -1 to hit, Filth Fever.
W - Walgold - 17
C - Captain - 13
B - Brandon - 8 - Grabbed, -1 to hit, Filth Fever.
O - Otyighs - 8

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/4496943977_dd7f517774_o.png
(Ignore the blue line)

LT and Bard are next, then Natash, Tarak, and Walgold. Post your actions in any order, you three. Brandon and Tarak need to make Endurance checks, and have both lost one healing surge. Also, they suffer -1 to attack roll due to the beasts horrible stench. And are grabbed.

Reynard
2010-04-06, 12:15 PM
Group1.
Lt.

The Leutenant struggle against the hold of the tentacles and the effects of the disease.

Endurance: [roll]d20+11[roll]
Escape Attempt (Athletics): [roll0]

Bard.

Andrews quickly adapts to the shock, and swiftly notches an arrow, singing songs of ill fortune as he set it loose at the creature attacking Tarak.
[roll1]
[roll]2d10+6[roll]
After he releases the arrow, he quickly moves next to the captian to protect her from harm.

Reynard
2010-04-06, 12:26 PM
Lt.

He fails to release himself from the creatures grasp, and twists to try to stab it with his spear instead.

To-Hit: [roll0]

That broken roll: [roll2]

Blaine.Bush
2010-04-06, 07:35 PM

Tarak, Half-Orc Brawler

As he is yanked backwards by the Otyuga's tentacles, Tarak lets out a string of expletives so harsh it would make a sailor cringe. For a moment he is woozy, as he attempts to fight off the overpowering stench of the tentacled creature. Then, Tarak writhes in the Otyuga's grasp, attempting to break free.

Endurance check - [roll0]
Move action: Athletics checks to break free - [roll1]
Will post more once I learn if I break free.

Reynard
2010-04-06, 07:45 PM
Tarak fights off the disease, but struggles fruitlessly against the tentacles.

((If it helps, there's a 25% chance you critting the bastard.))

obasi42
2010-04-06, 08:13 PM
Group 1, Wraiths, Otyugas, and adventurers, oh my!

Walgold moves to the nearest otyuga and attempts to attack. He hasn't seen his party's attackers yet, but from the sounds he's hearing, he doesn't exactly want to. However, he can't leave his fellow soldiers to die.

Move Action: He moves spot next to Brandon and beneath the otyuga attacking Brandon. (Could we have coordinates or something to make this a bit easier to explain?)

Standard Action: Guarded Attack on Otyuga with rapier.Guarded Attack
Striking quickly, you remain ready to parry.
Encounter ✦ Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Requirement: You must be wielding a light blade.
Target: One creature
Primary Attack: Dexterity vs. AC
Hit: 2[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and if the target
makes a melee attack against you before the start of your
next turn, you can make a secondary attack against it as
an immediate interrupt.
Secondary Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage, and the target
takes a –2 penalty to the triggering attack roll.
Attack: [roll0]
If hit: [roll1]

Reynard
2010-04-06, 08:21 PM
Walgolds blade is accidentally deflected by one of the Otyugh's many tentacles.

Silver Coin
2010-04-09, 08:20 AM
Natasha had already been holding onto her holy symbol inside her pocket. The moment Otyighs appeared, she immediately pulled it and fired off a beam of purest light at her nearest foe.

Attack North-western Otyigh.
Attack: [roll0] vs Reflex
Dmg: [roll1]
Crit: [roll2]

Kol Korran
2010-04-09, 09:15 AM
Oragath grabs at Kobacha "We can wait for the dwafs and try to talk, but this is probably a heavy response team. dwarfs don't believe in fair odds, we believe in utterly crushing the opponent. i think we need to jump as far as we can, and make a run for it. your call chief, but make it quick!"

Reynard
2010-04-09, 11:22 AM
Natasha had already been holding onto her holy symbol inside her pocket. The moment Otyighs appeared, she immediately pulled it and fired off a beam of purest light at her nearest for.

Attack North-western Otyigh.
Attack: [roll0] vs Reflex
Dmg: [roll1]
Crit: [roll2]

The holy light sears the otyugh, and it flails in pain. It doesn't release Brandon, however.

Mokuren
2010-04-10, 07:32 AM
Oragath grabs at Kobacha "We can wait for the dwafs and try to talk, but this is probably a heavy response team. dwarfs don't believe in fair odds, we believe in utterly crushing the opponent. i think we need to jump as far as we can, and make a run for it. your call chief, but make it quick!"

Group 2: They're really not elephants, are they?

"Panicking will do us no good, Oragath", she simply answered with a sly smile, "Besides, they'll have to step on those traps themselves if they are to come out of there, which either means they are counting on us falling for exactly this trick and kill ourselves before they bother trying, or that all this pattern is a trick and whatever part we step on will simply sound an alarm".

She shrugs, "Either way, I could probably cover the whole distance in two leaps, reducing the tile-stepping to a minimum, but what about the others? The last thing I want is to run into an unknown cave complex and leave my companions behind a coloured floor".

A shake of her head, and then she smiles again, "I'm afraid we'll have to wait; even if diplomacy fails, we'll know for sure what the rest of this floor does depending on how they approach it themselves".

Kol Korran
2010-04-10, 09:56 AM
Oragath grunts, and then smiles to himself- the shifter shows the patience of a hearth keeper! very well. he moves behind the others, especially Elzren, and chants to himself slowly in dwarven an old song. He calles the spirit to stand aside of Kobacha, maybe that will help her with any negotiations she might have.

the spirit looks with empty eyesockets at Kobacha, floating slightly in air, before looking to the opening again.

"Omatak Drachne Sul"*

*"from darkness there shall be light"

Reynard
2010-04-14, 06:08 AM
Group 2: What's this? An Update?
You make yourselves comfortable and settle down to wait for whoever it is that's coming. Eleanor, who decided to come along with Kobacha rather than following the Lieutenant, spends the time with her head in her hands, muttering quickly and quietly.

After what feels like half an hour, you start to hear voices approaching from the other side of the pressure-plate floor. After another ten minutes, the voices are clearer, and you can make out the odd word or sentence.

"Think they're ------------ there?"
"Course they are."

A little while later, the group making the noise appears on the other side, and first spots your group, the they notice the section of raised wall. The group is the definition of a mixed bunch. There are three Dwarves and two Hobgoblins, surprisingly not at each others throats. All five of them are wearing some sort of heavy armour, though you can't be specific at this distance. A Drow in a strange-looking sort of gown stands to one side, holding a staff, and, strangest of all, the last member of the group, a Minotaur. As soon as it sees you, it calls out a challenge, pointing a colossal axe in your direction.

"OI! What are you doin' 'ere? Do you kno-"
"Ease up, Jak. But I'd like an answer too." Interrupts one of the Dwarves.
"I'm Olin, the leader of this bunch. And I'd like to know why you're so close to one of our more well hidden homes.

Group 1: Don't worry, I'll get to you. Give me a moment.

Reynard
2010-04-14, 06:36 AM
Group 1: Dazed and Confused (And absent, weakened, grappled, and disgusted.)

Tarak loses his mind for a second and fails to even attempt to attack the beast that now has him locked in it's tentacles.

The Captain gets up and stumbles towards the lieutenant with with one hand held out, and grabs him by the arm and starts to pull against the Otyuga's grip. She doesn't achieve anything.

(I've decide to roll NPC rolls privately, so I can just make a post of their actions and how successful they are. Brandon's turn. You can roll endurance to end Filth Fever at the end of you turn.)

INITIATIVE ORDER.
Lt - Lieutenant - 27 - Grabbed, -1 to hit.
uB - Bard - 27
N - Natasha - 19
T - Tarak - 18 - Grabbed, -1 to hit.
W - Walgold - 17
C - Captain - 13
>B - Brandon - 8 - Grabbed, -1 to hit, Filth Fever.
O - Otyighs - 8
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2694/4520628624_a2f3f275d3_o.png

Kol Korran
2010-04-14, 06:37 AM
Ghosts seems excited, and yet surprised. he seems about to speak, only to hold his tongue, a myriad of emotions pass over his face, as the incesent chatter of spirits rises a bit around it "Dwarves! Dwarves!... hobgoblins? a Minotaur? enemies! enemies!... but they are together! how? when? why?... hidden home... hidden HOME.... hidden HOOOME!"
(the last bit is said with an excited and longing moan)

Oragath looks at Kobacha and the others expectently, almost bursting.

RedBeardJim
2010-04-14, 09:56 AM
Branden writhes in the grip of the otyugh, nearly vomiting from the stench. He attempts to wriggle free from the tentacles while aiming a slash at the main body of the monster, his dagger glowing a greenish-black as it arced around.

Actions:
Move: Acrobatics check to attempt to escape -- [roll0]
Standard: Attack Otyugh with Acid Orb (melee attack via Sorcerous Blade Channeling) -- [roll1] vs. Reflex
On hit: [roll2] acid damage

Endurance check for disease: [roll3]

Mokuren
2010-04-14, 11:51 AM
Group 2: What's this? An Update?
You make yourselves comfortable and settle down to wait for whoever it is that's coming. Eleanor, who decided to come along with Kobacha rather than following the Lieutenant, spends the time with her head in her hands, muttering quickly and quietly.

After what feels like half an hour, you start to hear voices approaching from the other side of the pressure-plate floor. After another ten minutes, the voices are clearer, and you can make out the odd word or sentence.

"Think they're ------------ there?"
"Course they are."

A little while later, the group making the noise appears on the other side, and first spots your group, the they notice the section of raised wall. The group is the definition of a mixed bunch. There are three Dwarves and two Hobgoblins, surprisingly not at each others throats. All five of them are wearing some sort of heavy armour, though you can't be specific at this distance. A Drow in a strange-looking sort of gown stands to one side, holding a staff, and, strangest of all, the last member of the group, a Minotaur. As soon as it sees you, it calls out a challenge, pointing a colossal axe in your direction.

"OI! What are you doin' 'ere? Do you kno-"
"Ease up, Jak. But I'd like an answer too." Interrupts one of the Dwarves.
"I'm Olin, the leader of this bunch. And I'd like to know why you're so close to one of our more well hidden homes.

Group 2: Praise the update god!

"Is that so?", Kobacha's cheshire grin brightens as she takes a step forward, no longer half-hiding under the cover of better armoured companions, "It sure seems so".

After this brief exchange between herself and herself, she greets the dwarves with her waving hand, "Hello, Olin, everyone. I am Kobacha, the leader of this other bunch", she makes a brief gesture towards her companions, "The reason for which we are here is the same for you to cling together and prepare elaborate traps: danger is right behind us, and we're trying to find a way out".

She immediately raises her hands, gesturing to show lack of belligerence on her part albeit her suspicious smile remains, "I assure you this is no invasion, we hardly have the strength to face the enemies we already have. What we are looking for is a way out of this cave system. One that is not the same we came in from, and that will possibly leave us in an advantageous position should we come to skirmish with our pursuers".

Reynard
2010-04-14, 12:27 PM
"Well met, Kobacha. On the run from enemies and traps you say? Well, the only traps that I know of in that direction are ones for the alarms. But I'd like to know more about these enemies of yours. For a start, who are they, and more to the point, who are you? You seem to be wearing a common uniform, so I assume some sort of military group.

"And, one last question. Who stepped on the first yellow tile from your end?"

senrath
2010-04-14, 02:33 PM
Group 2

Elzren took a step forwards at this. "Um, that was me. Is that a serious problem, or something? We were trying to figure out what the tiles did, and since we weren't getting anywhere I, in a momentary lapse of judgment, decided trial and error was as good a way as any."

Mokuren
2010-04-14, 05:13 PM
"Well met, Kobacha. On the run from enemies and traps you say? Well, the only traps that I know of in that direction are ones for the alarms. But I'd like to know more about these enemies of yours. For a start, who are they, and more to the point, who are you? You seem to be wearing a common uniform, so I assume some sort of military group.

"And, one last question. Who stepped on the first yellow tile from your end?"

Group 2: Exposition time

"He he he, you're pretty observant, I must say", she nods in agreement, "We are the untrusted, military group of Arcova composed of foreigners, mercenaries and other misfits. We are currently fighting against the Stronghaven armies, and ours is an advance group; we're in enemy territory, since this part of the surface belongs to them".

She takes a good look at the other group, as if studying them, "Our enemies are, really, just a band of mercenaries that double-crossed two warring factions when they were both weak and tired, and got away with the upper hand. An underhanded tactic but quite effective and even worthy of respect... Except for the part where it sucks for us. Oh, not that we're looking for sympathy", she quickly adds, "We're just looking for a way out, I'm sure you have enough problems down there without our surface wars getting in the way".

Reynard
2010-04-14, 09:53 PM
Group 1: Omnomnom.

Even right and personal with the Otyugh, Brandon fails to land an attack on the hideous creature, it's many flailing tentacles obstructing his movement. The Otyugh follows up by trying to sink it's many fangs into his tasty, tasty flesh. Just before it manages to catch him in it's jaws, he manages to get his cloak around him and vanishes without a sound, appearing just out of range of it's tentacles.

The other Otyughs go after their victims that are trapped in their tentacles. Tarak manages to dodge and weave, avoiding it's festering jaw, while the Lieutenant holds the other ones mouth at bay with the haft of his spear. He follows it up with a thrust into the beasts flesh, striking deep and true, and he tries to use the force of the attack to push himself out of the foul creatures grasp. He is unable to, however.

Andrews weaves a short spell out of magic and song, which then flies towards the Otyugh grappling with Tarak, blasting it with energy.

INITIATIVE ORDER.
Lt - Lieutenant - 27 - Grabbed, -1 to hit.
uB - Bard - 27
>N - Natasha - 19
>T - Tarak - 18 - Grabbed, -1 to hit.
>W - Walgold - 17
C - Captain - 13
B - Brandon - 8 - Grabbed, -1 to hit, Filth Fever.
O - Otyighs - 8

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4019/4521840355_c5f53ffd07_o.png

Group 2.
Elzren took a step forwards at this. "Um, that was me. Is that a serious problem, or something? We were trying to figure out what the tiles did, and since we weren't getting anywhere I, in a momentary lapse of judgment, decided trial and error was as good a way as any."

"Well, you were lucky."

"He he he, you're pretty observant, I must say", she nods in agreement, "We are the untrusted, military group of Arcova composed of foreigners, mercenaries and other misfits. We are currently fighting against the Stronghaven armies, and ours is an advance group; we're in enemy territory, since this part of the surface belongs to them".

She takes a good look at the other group, as if studying them, "Our enemies are, really, just a band of mercenaries that double-crossed two warring factions when they were both weak and tired, and got away with the upper hand. An underhanded tactic but quite effective and even worthy of respect... Except for the part where it sucks for us. Oh, not that we're looking for sympathy", she quickly adds, "We're just looking for a way out, I'm sure you have enough problems down there without our surface wars getting in the way".

"...You mean the Brothers, don't you. Or are they calling themselves something different now? Bastards are the reason we're in these caves in the first place, and the reason we need to put up alarms."
Olin strokes his beard and turns to the rest of his group, and they have a brief discussion. Most of them speak in a low whisper, but the Minotaur, Jak, seems incapable of doing so.

"I don' like it."
"Ya think they're telling the truth?"
"Well, yer more trusting then you aught ta be."
"Sorry, Olin. But we aught to know if they're-"
"Fine, but-"

Olin turns back to your motley group, and in a much clearer voice.
"We might have a solution for you. You scratch our backs, we'll scratch yours, that sort of thing. You help us deal with whatever it is we're dealing with, and we'll help you get out to safety. Interested?"

Kol Korran
2010-04-15, 01:06 AM
Oragath nods eagerly "Of course we're interested! I'd be honored to help my kin! worry not, this was ordained by Moradin himself, for i am his messanger, and he has guided us here! what ails you?" all through this Oragath eyes wearily Jak the minotaur, unsure of what to make of him.

Mokuren
2010-04-15, 07:33 AM
Oragath nods eagerly "Of course we're interested! I'd be honored to help my kin! worry not, this was ordained by Moradin himself, for i am his messanger, and he has guided us here! what ails you?" all through this Oragath eyes wearily Jak the minotaur, unsure of what to make of him.

Group 2: The enemies of my friends are...

"Ha ha ha, that's the spirit Oragath", she comments, patting him on the back with that small and thin hand of hers, "We've sure been lucky this time. How's that go? That idiom about enemies of your friends or something".

Clearly, she's never been very good with figures of speech, but fortunately she decides to move on, "Very well. It's only fair that we give something to receive something, and don't worry, we share your hatred for the Brothers, we'll gladly do anything if it can annoy them to no end".

Reynard
2010-04-15, 04:25 PM
Group 2.
"I doubt they're behind our current troubles. Who knows, though?

"Now, as for this puzzle. Well, it requires either luck or knowledge of our particular nation's history. Somehow, you stood on the right tile, so congratulations there, and didn't set off the alarms.

As he says this, Olin steps on the blue tile on his side of the passage.

"It's sort of doubled, you see. Opposite orders on opposite sides. Our side is as follows: The source of our water, the gems in it's walls, the rock that we dread and the blood that we shed. The metal that is both our root and the bait that we took.

"Can you work out your half of the puzzle? I ain't giving it away. Besides, there isn't any real rush since we're here now."

Loxagn
2010-04-16, 12:42 PM
(My apologies for inability to post. Life is kind of hellish right now, so sorry if this post isn't quality.)

Group 2: Puzzles!

Erin, too, listened to the riddle, having been momentarily distracted by the appearance of the other party, specifically the drow and the minotaur. It was... slightly intimidating, to say the least, given the things she had heard.

However, this was not the issue at hand. She examined the tiles carefully, eyes roaming over everywhere she could see, searching for a clue.

Religion: [roll2]
Dungeoneering: [roll3]
Nature: [roll4]
History (not bloody likely): [roll5]

"I think Sir Trum may be right. It seems most logical, but I don't think we should risk anything just yet..."

Silver Coin
2010-04-17, 12:45 AM
Natasha's brows creased as she observed the situation. She need to help her team-mates escape as quickly as possible. As she channelled the divine energy of her god, she fired off a brilliant lance of energy at the North-eastern side (M3), hoping that the lieutenant would take to opportunity to escape the grab with the aid of her distraction.

Attack: vs ref
Crit Damage (ignore the dmg roll): [roll]15+2d6

OOC: Please request for a heal if you need one.

Reynard
2010-04-17, 03:35 AM
Group 1: Finally.
((I'm assuming that you're using Lance of Faith and giving the Lt the +2 to attack.))

Erin's beam sears the Otyugh's side, and the energy of the attack settles onto the Lts arms.

Group 2: The Walls, they do do Something.

Oragrath: Whoever this group of dwarves and other races are, you haven't heard anything about them. They've obviously been down here so long that there aren't many who remember them.

Erin: The engravings on the walls closest to you seem to be a story of some sort. Maybe a closer look would give more information.

obasi42
2010-04-17, 01:37 PM
Group 1, Let's try not to die.

"Great. Seems like right now it's just me and you. Try not to cry."

Walgold thrusts his rapier into the mass of darkness, hoping to do damage. If he missed again, the Otyuga would be more than a match for him.

Standard Action: Sky Flourish on Otyuga with rapier.A distracting flourish causes the enemy to forget the blade at his
throat.
At-Will ✦ Martial,Weapon
Standard Action Melee or Ranged weapon
Requirement: You must be wielding a crossbow, a light blade,
or a sling.
Target: One creature
Attack: Dexterity vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier + Charisma modifier
damage.
Increase damage to 2[W] + Dexterity modifier + Charisma
modifier at 21st level.
Attack: [roll0] I get the extra two from Natasha.
If hit: [roll1]

Reynard
2010-04-17, 01:58 PM
The Otyughs primitive brain isn't distracted by Walgold's attempt at misdirection, and easily blocks the attack with a tentacle.

Kol Korran
2010-04-18, 01:32 AM
Noticing Erins gaze, Oragath follows it, and sees the carvings on the wall. grunting to himsles he goes over to observe them in detail, both walls before proceeding.

i guess there are no rolls needed, but if there are then i can only think of one:
Perception [roll0] if someone has a better perception when looking at the story, then this will be considered and "aid another" roll.
OOC: I bet the story begins with "a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away"

Loxagn
2010-04-19, 01:07 PM
Group 2

She stood carefully from her kneeling position, following Oragath and scrutinizing the images on the wall. "What could these glyphs possibly mean... What do your eyes see, Sir Trum?"

Religion: [roll2]
Dungeoneering: [roll3]
History: [roll4]

EDIT: Well, cned. :v

Reynard
2010-04-19, 04:51 PM
If read from left to right, the engraved walls would tell the following story:

Once, there was a lake. A vast underground lake. Dwarves made their home on it's shores, using the water for their farms and wells.

Eventually, after many years, the water level dropped low enough to reveal a large deposit of gemstones in the lake bed. Dwarves minded down and around the lake to get at these precious stone.

But they encountered a strange rock that they hadn't seen before. It dented all but the strongest of steel picks, but even then the progress was slow. Strangely, the rock lost all of it's hardness once broken from the source, becoming porous and brittle.

Then some... things attacked them. Horrible things. Strange floating balls that, when fractured, jetted steam out of the cracks, before exploding and stunning everyone nearby. Then other creatures came in their wake. Abominations made of little more than large masses of tentacles, things that were all blades and limbs and death, creatures made of flame that couldn't be hurt by weapons. Dwarves died in large numbers.

But, eventually, the Dwarves won, fought back the hordes of hell with magic and the help of Moradin, and their mountain home became strong and rich.

Kol Korran
2010-04-19, 06:44 PM
(OOC: huh, a previous post of mine disappeared)

Oragath looks at the story, and thinks hard, looking at the tiles."I still think my original assessment was right. if i get Olin's riddle right, we begin from the end of his orders, and go back. going gold, red, black, possibly green, and then blue.

Oragath breathes in deeply, before addressing Kobacha. "i'll try this, if you don't mind, it's a dwarven thing." he then braces himself, steps on the first golden tile, and proceeds slowly and carefully by the order he suggested. (gold-red-black-green-blue)

here is for oragath not joining his spirits prematurely. i apologize if people wanted to think this further, i wanted to get the ball rolling a bit

Reynard
2010-04-19, 06:54 PM
As Oragrath steps onto the blue tile, a deep *clunk* can be heard.

After a tension-filled moment, where the other group looks at your faces smilingly, all of the tiles in the room sink down. The group then makes their way across the now deactivated floor, keeping their weapons at the ready.

"Well done, well done."

Kol Korran
2010-04-20, 01:53 AM
Oragath wipes the sweat from his forhead, smiling nerveously and proudly.

:smallbiggrin:

senrath
2010-04-20, 07:13 AM
Grinning, Elzren clapped Oragath on the shoulder as they crossed the tiles. "Well done."

Loxagn
2010-04-20, 10:03 AM
Erin smiled and whispered a prayer of thanks as Oragath crossed safely, and returned to Shala, taking care to comfort the nervous horse.

"Fantastic, Sir Trum! The gods finally smile upon us..."

She did, however, turn to the dwarf that had spoken, looking mildly concerned. "Forgive me, sir dwarf. These glyphs... they speak of horrible things befalling this place. What happened?"

(In hindsight, bringing a horse into a cavern wasn't the best of ideas. :v)

Mokuren
2010-04-20, 12:25 PM
Group 2: Towards the HFS

Kobacha claps her hand as Oragath correctly solves the riddle, "Very good, very good indeed, it was a marvelous idea for you to come with us, I must say", she offers with a sharp-toothed grin as she confidently steps on the now deactivated floor.

"You have proven yourself a good thinker in stressful situations", she then continues, "I think I can feel kind of safe now. Should something befall to me the rest of you won't be left cluelessly running amok like moths to a flame". She smiles in spite of having admitted the chance of herself dying horribly, but that's probably something she had already taken into account from the beginning of the riddle.

Kol Korran
2010-04-25, 05:34 AM
Oragath, so happy to finally meet his kinsmen in their rightfull place, though confused by the alliance with the hobgolins, goes to greet Olin in the dwarfy way.

this day has been strange- first the unsuccesful raid, then the running away, the caves, the cave in, and then mysteries in the dark. but it was all worthi it to meet his fellow dwarfs.

"Ghosts! wake up allready! time to move!" he heard through his dreams. was it walgold? but he's gone with the other group!

"damned dwarf! him and his damned spirits!" so it was walgold. everything so fuzyy now. oh hell... he hated this when it happened.

Oragath woke up.