PDA

View Full Version : Stat out Dancing knights

krossbow
2010-03-12, 03:36 PM
Spell Level, description, possible in game uses.

Go!

Shale
2010-03-12, 03:56 PM
It's not the most interesting answer, but it seems like just a special case of Persistent Image.

Ancalagon
2010-03-12, 04:01 PM
Level 0, use none, spell from the Bard Spell List.

Scarlet Knight
2010-03-12, 04:39 PM
Level 0, use none, spell from the Bard Spell List.

Sounds good but for uses I would suggest that " Dancing Knights provides backup for a bard's performance, adding +4 to his roll..."

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/q4tWBILtrSU/0.jpg

the Riddler
2010-03-12, 06:13 PM
Dancing Knights
Illusion (Figment)
Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: Two knights, all within a 10-ft.-radius area
Duration: 1 minute per caster level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

Depending on the version selected, you create two knights that resemble humanoids in plate mail, or two samurais (for oriental-flavoured campaigns). The two knights are always of opposite genders. The air around them is then filled with soft, pleasant music, and they start dancing together in a particularly queer way, ignoring any encumberance given by the armor they are wearing. The dancing knights must stay within a 10-foot-radius area in relation to each other but otherwise move as you desire (no concentration required): forward or back, left or right, straight or turning corners, or the like. The knights can move up to 100 feet per round. A knight doesn't wink out if the distance between you and it exceeds the spell’s range, but it roams dancing freely around until the end of the duration. Dancing Knights provides backup for a bard's performance, adding +4 to his roll if he sings along to the music created by the spell.

Starscream
2010-03-12, 06:44 PM
Sounds good but for uses I would suggest that " Dancing Knights provides backup for a bard's performance, adding +4 to his roll..."

That sounds like it would be pretty useful, actually. Especially if the bard is using Fascinate. Tell me you wouldn't stop and stare if this happened in the middle of a fight, tutus included.

PallElendro
2010-03-12, 07:12 PM
I didn't really get stats, but maybe

Armor Class: 24
Fortitude: 19 (they can dance pretty hard)
Reflex: 16
Will: 17

Strength: 16
Dexterity: 12
Constitution: 14
Intelligence: 10
Wisdom: 10
Charisma: 18 (they can put people in the beat)

At-Will: Dance With Me: Ranged, vs. Will: Hit: Compulses people to dance.

The Dancing Knights kinda remind me of the RuneScape Fun House.

Theodoriph
2010-03-12, 07:19 PM
:smalltongue:
Dancing Knights
Illusion (Figment)

Depending on the version selected, you create two knights that resemble humanoids in plate mail, or two samurais (for oriental-flavoured campaigns). The two knights are always of opposite genders. The air around them is then filled with soft, pleasant music, and they start dancing together in a particularly queer way, ignoring any encumberance given by the armor they are wearing. The dancing knights must stay within a 10-foot-radius area in relation to each other but otherwise move as you desire (no concentration required): forward or back, left or right, straight or turning corners, or the like. The knights can move up to 100 feet per round. A knight doesn't wink out if the distance between you and it exceeds the spell’s range, but it roams dancing freely around until the end of the duration. Dancing Knights provides backup for a bard's performance, adding +4 to his roll if he sings along to the music created by the spell.

Why are the knights of different genders? Knights should be able to dance or be made to dance with whomever, be it a knight of the same gender or a knight of the opposite gender.

Dvandemon
2010-03-12, 07:56 PM
Why does everyone assume their an illusion?

Shale
2010-03-12, 08:01 PM
Because conjuring a couple of living, breathing bipeds intelligent enough to dance is waaaaaaaay above Generic Goblin Mage's pay grade.

Scarlet Knight
2010-03-12, 10:12 PM
Why are the knights of different genders? Knights should be able to dance or be made to dance with whomever, be it a knight of the same gender or a knight of the opposite gender.

Good idea;the gender of the knights can be the choice of the caster. Also, let's also allow the spells to stack, so if the caster wishes he can have a whole chorus line behind him! ( Hey, wasn't that who backed up Otis Day...) :smallwink:

Lissou
2010-03-12, 10:59 PM
I'd add that the bard doesn't have to sing along, they can play along with whatever their instrument is (which includes their voice).

factotum
2010-03-13, 01:46 AM
Because conjuring a couple of living, breathing bipeds intelligent enough to dance is waaaaaaaay above Generic Goblin Mage's pay grade.

Not to mention the two knights shown in the strip float up into the air and shrink as the dance continues, which would be a pretty clever feat if they were actually real!

FrankNorman
2010-03-13, 01:47 AM
So you folks think this hapless hobgoblin mage is competent enough to homebrew a spell, while clueless enough not to realise that it wouldn't be much use? And he freely admits he failed his "concentration check" on reading his written orders...

I think he reminds me more of the Red Indian shaman from a Gary Larson Far Side cartoon, standing outside his people's tent village in the midst of a rain of eggbeaters. Yes, those kitchen implements with a handle you turn to spin a pair of - whatever one calls them.

Shaman Guy is looking up something in a book titled "101 Rain Dances", and says "Oh, right - FOUR steps to the left then TWO to the right! What kind of a dance was I doing?"

Shale
2010-03-13, 01:48 AM
Not to mention the two knights shown in the strip float up into the air and shrink as the dance continues, which would be a pretty clever feat if they were actually real!

Uh.....that's them dancing into the courtyard in the background. It's perspective.

the Riddler
2010-03-13, 06:09 AM

That would imply that the poor hobbo even thought about making them male & female in front of danger for some unknown reason...but maybe it just sort of happened that way :tongue:

Liwen
2010-03-13, 06:38 AM
So you folks think this hapless hobgoblin mage is competent enough to homebrew a spell, while clueless enough not to realise that it wouldn't be much use? And he freely admits he failed his "concentration check" on reading his written orders...

Yes. Logic here is overruled by 'Rule of Funny'

In other words it's a joke. :smallbiggrin:

Cizak
2010-03-13, 10:14 AM

Nooooo....(?) They just dance away from the camera, if you mean the last panel.

factotum
2010-03-13, 01:01 PM
Looking at it again, you're probably right--I thought the dotted lines behind the knights were straight at first glance, but they clearly show little humps to show the knights are skipping down the courtyard. Blame my defective eyesight for that one.

Edhelras
2010-03-13, 04:06 PM
I'd like to add the observation that the two Dancing Knights bear at least some resemblance to the color scheme of the Elf and Human commandos standing right in front of the hobbo wizard at the moment of casting: The female knight had pink plume, skirt and boots, while the male knight had a grey scale like the azurite resistance chick (although, he had as well an orange cape, hurting my argument).

So one aspect of the spell could be to create some sort of mirror images, in the shape of knights, of a humanoid present at the scene of casting. Or something like that.

Duric
2010-03-13, 04:09 PM
level 2 I guess. The audio makes the spell more similar to "minor image" than "silent image"

Dancing Knights
Illusion (Figment)

Tyrmatt
2010-03-13, 05:08 PM
Just for fun, I think this would make a great 4E Warlord power

Dancing Knights
"Behold, our deadly ballet of steel and spells!"
Encounter * Martial, One Handed Weapon
Standard Action Range: Burst 1(Special)
Target: Special (see description)
Attack - Constitution Vs AC
Hit 1[W] per enemy + Charisma modifier
Effect: You and an adjacent ally join arms and spin each other wildly, effectively swapping squares and returning to your original square. For each enemy you can reach when you swap squares, you make basic attacks for damage 1[W] + Cha modifier. Moving in this way does not provoke attacks of opportunities. For each attack, your ally can choose to use either his or her charisma modifier as the bonus.

I like a paragon path that adds a flavour effect for each class that you do it with.
e.g.
Fighter - The Fighter can choose to slide each enemy he attacks one square away on a sucessful hit.
Rogue - The rogue can make a Stealth check as if the enemies did not have line of sight to him.
Avenger - The avenger can choose to place his Oath on any of the enemies he attacks as a free action during this power.

Pointless, but a hilarious roleplaying concept.

Herald Alberich
2010-03-14, 01:20 PM
level 2 I guess. The audio makes the spell more similar to "minor image" than "silent image"

But the lack of versatility (you can only create two knights, not anything else) is probably enough to bump it back down to level 1.

the Riddler
2010-03-14, 01:28 PM
But the lack of versatility (you can only create two knights, not anything else) is probably enough to bump it back down to level 1.

Yup, that's what I thought :smile:

Asta Kask
2010-03-14, 01:36 PM

I disagree. The Summon Monster spells are organized by CR; two CR 1 knights are well within the power of a 2nd-level spell.

Icewraith
2010-03-14, 02:45 PM
silent image?

They don't appear to be making any noise after all.

Herald Alberich
2010-03-14, 03:08 PM
silent image?

They don't appear to be making any noise after all.

Other than the music notes, you mean? :smallamused:

veti
2010-03-14, 03:43 PM
Dancing Knights
Depending on the version selected, you create two knights that resemble humanoids in plate mail, or two samurais (for oriental-flavoured campaigns).

Pretty good. I'd suggest modifications:
- You get one dancing knight per caster level. No maximum. (This has the bonus effect of telling us the goblin's level.)
- The type of knight reflects the caster's cultural background. Regular European-medieval campaign residents get knights; Japanese-flavour casters get samurai; other settings get other figures as appropriate (e.g. an Aztec-like caster may get jaguar warriors, Chinese get - I don't know, terracotta warriors or something...)

Dvandemon
2010-03-14, 05:04 PM

Hey now don't be hasty, it was an accident and hobgoblins have that military duty that would make them follow orders even with generic pay grade. They don't even have to be alive, they could easily be constructs of some sort

PallElendro
2010-03-14, 05:07 PM
Eh, Goblin Cleric #X was just lazy.

Mercenary Pen
2010-03-14, 09:34 PM
Just as well it wasn't Tsukiko casting though... I don't want to imagine what Dancing Wights would be like as a spell...

derfenrirwolv
2010-03-15, 12:14 AM
Just as well it wasn't Tsukiko casting though... I don't want to imagine what Dancing Wights would be like as a spell...

They do the mash.. they do the monster mash...

Procyonpi
2010-03-15, 01:12 AM
Why does everyone assume their an illusion?

Maybe because you can see the male knight through the female knight's tutu?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0706.html

Eurus
2010-03-15, 01:21 AM

Maybe it's a very gauzy tutu? You can't see the female (well, presumably female) through the (presumably) male knight's axe.

Snake-Aes
2010-03-15, 05:46 AM
Maybe it's a very gauzy tutu? You can't see the female (well, presumably female) through the (presumably) male knight's axe.

This. If it's an illusion, it's solid.

doodthedud
2010-03-15, 11:59 AM

Umm, no they don't. They go dancing off to the goblin's left. Look at the little bump marks showing them going across the grass.

factotum
2010-03-15, 12:49 PM
Er, yes, I already admitted I made a mistake there...you might want to read the whole thread before commenting next time.

Zeful
2010-03-15, 01:34 PM
This. If it's an illusion, it's solid.

If it's an illusion of two knights dancing, being able to see through them would allow every observer to make a will save without interacting with it, undermining it from round 1.

The_Weirdo
2010-03-15, 02:21 PM
If it's an illusion of two knights dancing, being able to see through them would allow every observer to make a will save without interacting with it, undermining it from round 1.

Yes, but the Giant has shown illusions as translucent before, whether they're perfect illusions or not. I'm not entering the "are they illusions" merit here, just pointing this out.

hamishspence
2010-03-15, 02:32 PM
Eh, Goblin Cleric #X was just lazy.

Cleric? Dancing Lights is a Wizard/Sorcerer spell, and a Bard spell- implying he at least has levels in an arcane class, even if this time he cast the wrong spell.

The_Weirdo
2010-03-15, 02:46 PM
Cleric? Dancing Lights is a Wizard/Sorcerer spell, and a Bard spell- implying he at least has levels in an arcane class, even if this time he cast the wrong spell.

I was about to reply and point out that "Dancing Knights" isn't stated as a Cleric or Wizard spell when I realized you said "Dancing Lights".

Had I posted this mistaken reply and gotten rightly humiliated about it right after, I'd gladly answer:

"I may have skimmed the post." :smalltongue:

Dvandemon
2010-03-15, 03:28 PM

Actually i've seen quite a number of tutus that are translucent, thats just one detail, any more evidence?

Big Hungry Joe
2010-03-15, 04:22 PM
I didn't think them illusory either. Don't they drop their weapons when they dance off? Can illusions do that and have the (illusory?) weapons remain?

Without overly nerderizing a pretty funny gag, I thought it was actually a fairly useful spell for conjuring up some weapons and armor -- provided you're willing to kill the knights, of course. Might have saved Roy those few hundred strips using a club.

Inhuman Bot
2010-03-16, 01:14 AM
*Begins to wonder why people are argueing about if the knights are real or not*

Also, just to be a nitpicker, why not stat out your own version instead of just trying to dump it on the forum, OP? :smalltongue:

veti
2010-03-16, 03:57 PM

That would only undermine it if it's meant to be believable. What if it's purely for entertainment purposes? (And seriously, what other practical use does it have?)

Remember Elan's first spell, "Summon Plot Exposition"? Same kind of deal.

martinkou
2010-03-16, 06:27 PM
That would only undermine it if it's meant to be believable. What if it's purely for entertainment purposes? (And seriously, what other practical use does it have?)

Remember Elan's first spell, "Summon Plot Exposition"? Same kind of deal.

For entertaining Xykon? He has weird tastes you know.

Scarlet Knight
2010-03-17, 09:20 AM
Ok , lets go another way. Remember how the Knights went dancing away? Lets make "Dancing Knights" a version of "Otto's Irresistable Dance". The bard creates the "Dancing Knights" and all viewers have to make a will save or join a conga line for the duration of the spell, unable to fight or otherwise act. Components are a parrot feather in some rum. The number and color of the Knights reflect the level of the caster; Scarlet being the highest level of course...:smallwink:

snafu
2010-03-17, 09:45 AM

From the other comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0140.html).

Scarlet Knight
2010-03-17, 09:57 AM
Hmmm, I wonder if Tsukiko can pull off that costume... wait, wait , let me rephrase...

Alex Warlorn
2011-08-06, 06:08 PM

This shall answer thy question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pas_de_deux

faustin
2011-08-06, 06:15 PM
A "must have" spell for any pseudomedieval villain when he is singing his evil song, Disney style (for example, Rothbart in The Swan Princess).

kpenguin
2011-08-06, 09:40 PM
The Modguin: Thread necromancy? Thread locked.