PDA

View Full Version : Fiend-blooded?

Octopus Jack
2010-03-12, 05:01 PM
A quick read through heroes of horror has uncovered a prestige class that looks interesting to play. You get stat boosts, extra spells known, the ability to add extra damage onto your spells and resistances. Also full spellcasting progression at every level but 10th. But onto the main point: the entry requirements state that you have to be non-good. The "playing a fiend blooded" section the contradicts this by refering to good-aligned fiend blooded. I'm just wondering if my sorceror who is good aligned could take few levels as it is part of his background and works with the using evil to destroy evil thing.
You're thougts on this and the PrC overall please?

hamishspence
2010-03-12, 05:06 PM
Maybe you can't enter the PRC with good alignment (it prevents the "fiendish blood" from activating)

but once you've taken your first level, you can change to Good without ceasing to qualify for the class, or becoming unable to advance further?

Or, just drop the "nongood" requirement for entry.

Starbuck_II
2010-03-12, 05:08 PM
A quick read through heroes of horror has uncovered a prestige class that looks interesting to play. You get stat boosts, extra spells known, the ability to add extra damage onto your spells and resistances. Also full spellcasting progression at every level but 10th. But onto the main point: the entry requirements state that you have to be non-good. The "playing a fiend blooded" section the contradicts this by refering to good-aligned fiend blooded. I'm just wondering if my sorceror who is good aligned could take few levels as it is part of his background and works with the using evil to destroy evil thing.
You're thougts on this and the PrC overall please?

There is no Ex-Clause, so you could be NN take 3 levels than become good. You keep everything, but can't take further levels.

Or originally, it was any alignment, but later changed to Non-good.

Octopus Jack
2010-03-12, 05:29 PM
Okay, I'll probably do that and also not take the option of making my familiar fiendish. What of the PrC itself, it seems really quite good but I've never seen it mentioned before?

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-12, 05:40 PM
Okay, I'll probably do that and also not take the option of making my familiar fiendish. What of the PrC itself, it seems really quite good but I've never seen it mentioned before?

It's considered decent by CO standards, but 10th level is never worth taking. It is very useful up to level 9, even more-so if the stat bonuses carry over when Polymorphed. The extra spells are also very nice (just don't take blasting spells).

Thurbane
2010-03-12, 07:46 PM
Or originally, it was any alignment, but later changed to Non-good.
This is more likely, considering the sloppy editing of a lot of WotC products.

I mean, none of the sample characters for this PrC are actually able to meet it's skill requisites for entry, anyway. Obviously whoever designed it didn't grasp that Knowledge (The Planes) isn't a class skill for Sorcerers...

:smallfrown:

Devils_Advocate
2010-03-12, 08:00 PM
Apparently, some writer wasn't aware that Knowledge (the planes) isn't a class skill for Sorcerers (unless it was in 3.0 or something?). Also, the sample characters don't even meet the entry requirements. (Whoops. "Ninja'd", as they say.) Also also, it's funny how with this, there are two mutually inimical possible mechanical consequences of fiendish heritage. (Well, you could make a tiefling Fiend-Blooded a Beguiler instead of a Sorcerer. Although Beguiler doesn't get Knowledge (the planes) either...)

I'd say that the class could do with some tweaking, given that someone seemingly outright screwed up the design, albeit not horribly.

Anyway, you might as well apply the Fiendish template to your familiar, since this explicitly doesn't have to make your familiar Evil-aligned. It fits pretty well with the whole theme of the class... moreso than most of the class features, actually, which are fiendish primarily in name.

Thurbane
2010-03-12, 08:10 PM
There's 3 ways I know of to meet the skill reqs with a Sorcerer (probably more):

- Knowledge Devotion feat (CC)
- Planar Sorcerer sub levels (PH)
- Human Paragon levels (UA)