PDA

View Full Version : Java question

The Bushranger
2010-03-12, 08:08 PM
About the software, not the coffee. :smalltongue:

...when you download an update for Java, does Youtube think Java is turned off thereafter until you reboot or something, despite the update's saying "no reboot necessary"?

Dispozition
2010-03-12, 08:11 PM
I know you need to close the browser, and last I checked, youtube worked on flash, not java.

The Bushranger
2010-03-12, 08:31 PM
Well, all I did was download the java update, and the thing on Youtube specifically says "your java is turned off or", so...

*grumbles abut stupid technology*

Starscream
2010-03-12, 08:46 PM
Do you have anything resembling the NoScript add-on for Firefox installed? I use it, and sometimes it forgets which sites are on its whitelist after an update.

The Bushranger
2010-03-12, 08:48 PM
Actually, I use IE7. I'd use Firefox but computer issues keep me from downloading it.

Erloas
2010-03-12, 10:18 PM
I'm pretty sure they use Java controls to turn the flash player and various other parts of the site on and off.

A program can't update a file if it is being used. So when you go to install the update it turns off Java in the browser so it can free up the files it needs to update. It should restart Java in the browser by closing and reopening the browser.
If not then just try a reboot, a reboot never hurts anything, its never a bad idea to reboot if you are having issues to see if that fixes them.

The Bushranger
2010-03-12, 10:58 PM
Did both open and close browser, and rebooting...and had the same result.

GoBack worked, though.

*grumbles about stupid updates*