PDA

View Full Version : Two-Weapon Fighting PrCs (3.5)

Elfin
2010-03-12, 10:47 PM
I've recently become interested in characters who fight with two weapons; barring Bloodclaw Master, what are some good Prestige Classes for two-weapon fighters?
(Not specifically those of the Fighter class, but for two-weapon fighters in general.)

Human Paragon 3
2010-03-12, 10:51 PM
Dervish and Tempest are the go-to twf PrCs. They are in Complete Warrior and Complete Adventurer, if I'm not mistaken.

Hat-Trick
2010-03-12, 10:51 PM
Tempest...

I predict a ninja

Master_Rahl22
2010-03-12, 11:01 PM
Dervish from CWar tends to work really well when dual-wielding scimitars. It's crazy feat intensive to get all of the requirements for it and the TWF line, but it's fun. Tempest is a 5 level PrC in CAdv that removes all penalties for TWF by level 4, so you take no penalty to your attacks for using TWF if your offhand weapon is light. Those are 2 I know of.

EDIT: Ninja's aren't good TWF classes...

Swok
2010-03-12, 11:08 PM
Revenant Blade in Players guide to eberron. Capstone gives 2X str with both ends of the double scimitar, and a few other really nice goodies

Kelb_Panthera
2010-03-12, 11:12 PM
PrC's that grant bonus damage such as Sneak attack, or Skirmish are also decent choices.

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-12, 11:15 PM
Tempest isn't really a TWFing PrC, its a TWFing+Spring Attack PrC (one of the reasons it's listed as not being worth it).

AbyssKnight
2010-03-12, 11:16 PM
Exotic Weapon Master (CWar) is pretty good. Flurry of Strikes if using a double weapon or Twin Exotic Weapon Fighting if using two identical light weapons.

Cowboy_ninja
2010-03-12, 11:39 PM
Dervish from CWar tends to work really well when dual-wielding scimitars. It's crazy feat intensive to get all of the requirements for it and the TWF line, but it's fun. Tempest is a 5 level PrC in CAdv that removes all penalties for TWF by level 4, so you take no penalty to your attacks for using TWF if your offhand weapon is light. Those are 2 I know of.

EDIT: Ninja's aren't good TWF classes...

Ninja's are great when they go up the TWF feat tree. I once made a lvl 15 ninja for a PVP tournament with my friends. Would sneak around and sneak attack like cuh-razy!

Dr.Epic
2010-03-13, 12:47 AM
Invisible Blade. It works nicely with sneak attack.

Eldariel
2010-03-13, 05:41 AM
Tempest isn't really a TWFing PrC, its a TWFing+Spring Attack PrC (one of the reasons it's listed as not being worth it).

It's mostly a decent continuation to Dervish that automeets the prerequisites and gets few numerical increases to everything over the levels (few points higher AC, to hit and so on), and that's about it. On its own, the class sucks monkey members.

But yeah, outside ToB, Dervish is a fine TWF class; getting +5 to hit, damage and +3 to AC or so is a nice generic numerical buff. Then you just up damage and are pretty much good to go. It works great with Scout/Ranger Skirmish-based build triggering both aplenty.

With ToB, any PrC (or indeed, class in general) makes for a fine TWFer, but in particular Bloodclaw Master has few great abilities. Superior TWF and Claws of the Beast in particular.

Really, most of the good TWF-stuff is base classes and feats. Rogue is a fine TWFer, Swift Hunter makes for an excellent TWFer with Travel Devotion or Dervish, various ability stacks can generate a decent warrior TWFer with Fighter/Barbarian/Ranger/ThingsWithBonusFeats and even Cleric can make for a fine TWFer.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Invisible Blade is pretty damn bad for TWFer if you plan on using the Free Feint to Sneak Attack, 'cause that only lasts for one attack and thus you don't get the full SA you'd want off it and you're limited to one Feint per round. Though otherwise, it's as decent a class as rogue.

HunterOfJello
2010-03-13, 05:52 AM
Bloodclaw Master!

It's easy to grab a level from swordsage or warblade mixed with whatever class you're in to get access to. I might not take a full 5 level progression of it, but the 2 first levels are great.

lvl 1 gives full str bonus to your off-hand attacks

lvl 2 allows you to use 2 weapons with +0 attack to each weapon instead of -2

it only works with tiger claw weapons, but kukris are awesome so no worries

PinkysBrain
2010-03-13, 06:03 AM
Dervish can work well for high level builds, but apart from that everything is a trap (well bloodclaw master with kukris is nice, but you don't want that). Strictly worse than simply taking good base classes.

Can't go wrong with a swift hunter build. Get two nice weapons (18-20/x2 with improved critical feat and with prismatic burst on the weapons) items which allow you to move and full attack (among them pearls of power, to use with the lion's charge ranger spell) and you're good to go.

jpreem
2010-03-14, 11:38 AM
Invisible Blade. It works nicely with sneak attack.

I am always wondering why a prc that deals with melee fighting with two daggers has far shot and point blank shot as prereq-s. Anybody able to show me the light?

2xMachina
2010-03-14, 11:47 AM
Was supposed to be with Master Thrower for a 10 lvl Prc. Got broke down to 2 5 lvl Prc, but they forgot to change the requirements.

zagan
2010-03-14, 11:49 AM
I am always wondering why a prc that deals with melee fighting with two daggers has far shot and point blank shot as prereq-s. Anybody able to show me the light?

It was suppose to be a ten level Prc with ability dealing with range attack from level 6 to 10 but it become a five level one during editing and they didn't change the requirement.

Somewhere on the web the original author recommand changing it to weapon focus (dagger) and something else I can't remember.

Edit: Ninjaed with a better answer.

Person_Man
2010-03-14, 12:22 PM
I would go with Master Thrower and Bloodstorm Blade. Every other option that has been mentioned (Invisible Blade, Revenant Blade, Dervish, Tempest, Bloodclaw Master) is pretty weak. I would also say that the TWF mechanic itself is quite weak, as there are often more efficient methods of adding attacks and/or increasing damage.

Pluto
2010-03-14, 03:32 PM
Warmind works alright with TWF.

[Psychic Warrior powers make everything better.]