PDA

View Full Version : [DnD 3.5] Critical Optimization

Enix18
2010-03-12, 11:46 PM
Alrighty, so I plan on running a little competition between the members of my D&D group next week. I told some of my less experienced players that I would be willing to help them build their characters, and one of them has just taken me up on that offer. Apparently, he's interested in making a character centered around critical hits (or, if not criticals, very accurate/debilitating strikes). He is dead set on this concept, so I agreed to scrounge around for some good feats/classs/other options for his character.

So, what are some good ways to improved a character's critical capabilities beyond Improved Critical? Races, base classes, PrCs, feats, or whatever. (He's already planning on entering the Marksman prestige class from Torn Asunder, but we're using the gestalt variant so he'll have plenty of levels to spare on other classes).

Any ideas you folks can provide are much appreciated. :smallsmile:

penbed400
2010-03-12, 11:49 PM
Falchions
(if you let them stack) Keen weapon or Scabbard of Keen Edges

...and thats all I got

IthilanorStPete
2010-03-12, 11:55 PM
Disciple of Dispater from Book of Vile Darkness. Then give him some Aptitude (property from ToB) rapiers and the Lightning Maces feat (CWarrior) and go to town.

Pluto
2010-03-13, 12:01 AM
Disciple of Dispater from Book of Vile Darkness. Then give him some Aptitude (property from ToB) rapiers and the Lightning Maces feat (CWarrior) and go to town.

If there are levels left, OA Weapons Master and Streetfighter (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) Lion Totem Barbarians both have effects that increase their crit ranges beyond ImpCrit.

There's also the Blood in the Water Tiger Claw stance in ToB, which I highly recommend.

deuxhero
2010-03-13, 12:10 AM
Grab a truedeath and demolition weapon crystal and ask the DM nicely for an anti-ooze verison if you don't want to be useless when critical immune people show up.

Weapon Master gains a +2 to threat range at level 7. It's a 3.0 prc and crit increases stacking was the norm in 3.0, but the 3.5 based Neverwinter Nights 2 uses it (http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Weapon_master#Ki_Critical) and let's it stack though, ask your DM.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-03-13, 08:54 AM
Theres a few ways to go.
If tob is alowed warblades do the best. I will assume no TOB.

I would tell him to go a swashbuckler 3/fighter 2/rogue x
grab the two weapon fighting line...
weapon is +1 keen kukri.
Telling blow

Realy idealy you want as many static multiplyers as possible.
i would find a way to smite as well.

JeminiZero
2010-03-13, 10:12 AM
Apparently, he's interested in making a character centered around critical hits (or, if not criticals, very accurate/debilitating strikes).

Let me try and suggest something a little different: Rogue or Scout.

For Rogue, maybe take up craven, and Daring Outlaw with Swashbuckler (for better BAB. Although he will still need a Flanking buddy or some other way to flatfoot his enemy.

For Scout, find some way to consistently get 10 foot steps.

peacenlove
2010-03-13, 10:28 AM
Staggering critical from drow of the underdark slows the target of your critical hit for 1 round.
Also the Maiming Property adds extra damage on a successful critical hit.

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-13, 10:58 AM
Like IthilanorStPete said, Lightning Maces Feat all the way. Don't combine it with Roundabout Kick and Disciple of Dispater though, unless your group is fine with you one shotting anything you hit.

psychomech
2010-03-13, 12:18 PM
This may not be what you had in mind, but I recently thought of it: Persistent Spell + Hunter's Mercy. Since that requires spell casting and the ability to use persistent spell at a lowered cost you may as well invest in persistent Transformation or persistent Divine Power to actually hit the enemy. And obviously a bow with all those enchantments that add extra damage on crits.

Olo Demonsbane
2010-03-13, 01:08 PM
Like IthilanorStPete said, Lightning Maces Feat all the way. Don't combine it with Roundabout Kick and Disciple of Dispater though, unless your group is fine with you one shotting anything you hit.

Nah, the real trouble is when you ALSO add in TWF, Double Hit, and 2 +1 Aptitude Splitting Hand crossbows.

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-13, 01:38 PM
Nah, the real trouble is when you ALSO add in TWF, Double Hit, and 2 +1 Aptitude Splitting Hand crossbows.

Dude, a 18-20 aptitude weapon when you have lightning maces and roundabout kick already lets you get very close to infinite attacks per round, seeing as you generate more attacks than you miss with when you swing. Anything more is just overkill.
Not that anything is WRONG with overkill - you always need more Dakka

Tackyhillbillu
2010-03-13, 01:41 PM
There is no "overkill." There is only "open fire" and "time to reload."

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-13, 01:53 PM
There is no "overkill." There is only "open fire" and "time to reload."

Indeed, a great quote, but did you read the white text?

IthilanorStPete
2010-03-13, 02:56 PM

Just make sure you have lots of scrolls of Mind Blank or something...Death Urge is a bit of a threat.

Soonerdj
2010-03-13, 03:35 PM
Just make sure you have lots of scrolls of Mind Blank or something...Death Urge is a bit of a threat.

Didn't some guy vaporize himself with aptitude guns that way? Something like 20,000k self damage in a round?

Zergrusheddie
2010-03-13, 04:16 PM
You need a somewhat liberal reading of aptitude weapon and the wonderful cheesy Kaorti Resin (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a) Weapons.

Evil Human/Strongheart Halfling Fighter 2 / Warblade 4 / Disciple of Dispater 8 / Warblade 5 :
Flaw: Disciple of Darkness
Flaw: Power Attack
H: Combat Reflexes
Fighter: Weapon Focus: Light Mace
1: Weapon Finesse
Fighter 2: Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Kaorti Resin Weapon
3: Lightning Mace
6: Combat Expertise
At level 7, become a Disciple of Dispater
9: Improved Critical: Kukri
12: Two-Weapon Fighting
15: Improved Two-Weapon Fighting

Take Tiger Claw abilities. You threaten on a 9-20 for 1d4 X 4 and with Blood in the Water Stance, the more you crit the better you get. Also, Lightning Maces lets you get a free swing each time you crit with a "mace", which you Aptitude Weapon change a Kukri into. Use the Weapon Crystals in MIC to let you crit constructs and undead.

You need a strength and intelligence of 13, and the rest should probably be Dexterity and Constitution. Using Dancing Mongoose and Greater Iron Hews with a +1 Weapon and Haste yields attack bonuses of 15/15/15/15/15/10/10/5 + Dexterity and other buffs to deal 1d4 + 7 damage. Every crit activates a free swing at the same bonus and Blood in the Water gives bonus to hit and damage for each crit. I suggest carrying around bunnies that are tied up so you can attack them in between combats to keep the BitW bonuses going.

Not very powerful but it gets loads of crits and lots of swings.

Claudius Maximus
2010-03-13, 04:20 PM
Didn't some guy vaporize himself with aptitude guns that way? Something like 20,000k self damage in a round?

It was Olo, actually, and it was 44756 damage. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6968457)

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-13, 04:48 PM
You need a somewhat liberal reading of aptitude weapon and the wonderful cheesy Kaorti Resin (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a) Weapons.

Evil Human/Strongheart Halfling Fighter 2 / Warblade 4 / Disciple of Dispater 8 / Warblade 5 :
Flaw: Disciple of Darkness
Flaw: Power Attack
H: Combat Reflexes
Fighter: Weapon Focus: Light Mace
1: Weapon Finesse
Fighter 2: Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Kaorti Resin Weapon
3: Lightning Mace
6: Combat Expertise
At level 7, become a Disciple of Dispater
9: Improved Critical: Kukri
12: Two-Weapon Fighting
15: Improved Two-Weapon Fighting

Take Tiger Claw abilities. You threaten on a 9-20 for 1d4 X 4 and with Blood in the Water Stance, the more you crit the better you get. Also, Lightning Maces lets you get a free swing each time you crit with a "mace", which you Aptitude Weapon change a Kukri into. Use the Weapon Crystals in MIC to let you crit constructs and undead.

You need a strength and intelligence of 13, and the rest should probably be Dexterity and Constitution. Using Dancing Mongoose and Greater Iron Hews with a +1 Weapon and Haste yields attack bonuses of 15/15/15/15/15/10/10/5 + Dexterity and other buffs to deal 1d4 + 7 damage. Every crit activates a free swing at the same bonus and Blood in the Water gives bonus to hit and damage for each crit. I suggest carrying around bunnies that are tied up so you can attack them in between combats to keep the BitW bonuses going.

Not very powerful but it gets loads of crits and lots of swings.

I'm sorry, but WHAT?!? Add one feat in there and you get infinite attacks. Even without roundabout kick you'll still decimate anything...

urbanpirate
2010-03-14, 01:12 PM
does aptitude weapon or anything similar appear in any other books or just TOB

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-14, 04:46 PM
does aptitude weapon or anything similar appear in any other books or just TOB

It's a +1 enchantment in ToB only. It's meant to replicate the warblade's ability to change his weapon focus/specialization feats to any weapon. By RAW it also allows weapon styles to be used with other weapons.

BenTheJester
2010-03-14, 08:57 PM
Forget puny humans and their 2 arms.

Play a Thri-Kreen with Multi-weapon fighting. Twice as many attacks.

Levels in Disciple of Dispater and at least a level in warblade for the Blood in the Water stance.

Adonis1x23
2010-03-14, 09:08 PM
Some of the luck feats from Complete Scoundrel are cool.

Victor's Luck lets you re-roll crit confirmations; Better Luck Than Good basically lets you treat natural ones as natural twenties.