PDA

View Full Version : (3.5 PrC) The Hero

Morth
2010-03-13, 12:29 AM
The Hero

"Oh, you. You just couldn't let me go, could you? This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. You are truly incorruptible, aren't you? Huh? You won't kill me out of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness. And I won't kill you because you're just too much fun. I think you and I are destined to do this forever. "
-The Joker, about Batman, a great Hero

Requirements:
Alignment: Any good. A hero must be an enemy of the evil ways.
Feats: Two of the following: Acrobatic; Agile; Athletics; Alertness; Negotiator; Persuasive; Self-Sufficient
Skills: Any one skill linked to Strength, Dexterity, or Charisma at rank 10; Sense Motive: 4 Ranks
Other: Must commit yourself to the pursuit of justice.

HD: d8

The Hero
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+2|
+2| Heroic Presence I; Vow of the Life-saver; Unwavering Conviction

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+3|
+3|Peak Condition; Special Ability

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+3| Heroic Presence II; Versatile Heroics

4th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+4|Heroic Drive; Special Ability

5th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+4|Savior and Protector; Heroic Presence III; Smite the Wicked [/table]

Armor and Weapon Proficiency: The hero gains no additional proficiency.

Vow of the Life-saver: A hero is a metaphorical knight in shining armor, and mustn't stain his hands with a creatures blood, innocent or otherwise. A hero may not kill any sentient humanoids voluntarily. He may choose to make any attack that would kill the target deal non-lethal damage. If the Hero does voluntarily kill someone guilty of wickedness, the hero losses his class abilities until a cleric casts Atonement on him or her. If the hero strikes an innocent person down, she loses all abilities permanently.

Heroic Presence (Ex): The aura of righteousness surrounding a hero is powerful and strengthening. A hero is immune to fear. At level 3 or higher, a hero may add his Charisma modifier to his Strength and Dexterity scores. At level 5, the hero may add his Charisma to his Armor Class.

Unwavering Conviction (Ex): The hero must be a paragon of all that is just and right, and is driven by righteousness. A hero may, once a day per hero level, strike a heroic stance, striking fear into the heart of evil. All enemies seeing this must make a will save versus fear or be shaken. (DC= 10+Hero Level+Charisma modifier)

Peak Condition (Ex): A hero must always be at his strongest to fight the forces of evil. Choose one of the feats that qualified you for this class. You may take 10 on any checks involving the associated skills.

Special Abilities: Heroes, while similar, are normally very different then one another, and sport different talents. At levels 2 and 4, a hero may choose an ability from the following list, or may gain a bonus feat that he meets the prerequisites for.

Hero of Varied Talents: Your hero levels and your levels from a class of your choice stack for any class abilities your chosen class has other then spellcasting.

Stalwart Spells: Every level in hero is considered to have the "+1 level of existing spellcasting class" retroactively.

Live by the Sword: The hero levels are considered to have a retroactive full base attack bonus, and gains proficiency with all martial and simple weapons, an exotic weapon of her choice, and all non-exotic armor proficiencies.

Law of Inverse Power: For each enemy that threatens you, you gain a +1 insight bonus to armor class and attack and damage rolls.

Final Stand: If you would be killed, you may make a fortitude save with a DC equal to the damage the attack of effect is dealing. If you succeed, you are left at 1 hit point before death (-9 for most, -14 for heroic drive users) and you and all allies in 30 feet gain a +5 morale bonus to attack and damage rolls, as well as armor class. This lasts until either the hero dies or the Encounter ends.

Signature Move : A hero may select a martial strike maneuver of level 7 or lower as his "Signature Move". You may ignore level and previous maneuvers, but must follow all other prerequisites. This maneuver may be used by the hero once per encounter. (Initiator levels=Hit dice)

Restraining Justice: If you were to render a target unconscious from non-lethal damage, you may concentrate your righteousness into a physical bond, thus rendering them helpless for a number of days equal to your Charisma modifier.

Evasion: See the Rogue ability of the same name. This maybe taken to improve existing evasion to Improved evasion.

Mettle: See the Hexblade ability of the same name. This may be taken to improve existing mettle to Improved mettle.

Versatile Heroics (Ex): A hero must remain on his toes if he is to effectively fight the forces of evil. At dawn, a hero may replace one special ability with another one of his choice.

Heroic Drive (Ex): A hero isn't categorized by his strength or his agility, but by his righteousness and his willpower. A hero doesn't die until his hit points reach -15, and he is never considered dying.

Smite the Wicked (Ex): A hero may draw from his inner reserves when he is fighting evil, granting him great might. Once a day, a Hero may treat any one attack roll or skill check against an evil target as a natural 20.

Savior and Protector (Ex): A hero is above corruption and wickedness, and has grown strong, if not impervious, to their attraction. A level 5 Hero is immune to mind-affecting effects, and gains DR 5/Evil.

I'd love input on balance, and also more ability ideas to add.

Zexion
2010-03-13, 12:39 AM
If this is supposed to be the opposite of the Villain class that you made, I would say that the Villain class is a bit more powerful.

Morth
2010-03-13, 09:19 AM
If this is supposed to be the opposite of the Villain class that you made, I would say that the Villain class is a bit more powerful.

Any suggestions? I don't want it too powerful.

Creed
2010-03-13, 09:58 AM
i think the fact that the hero cant kill anything is...unrealistic for a running campaign. a character who cant kill a goblin, even though hes a epic level character? why not something like he can only kill creatures with evil alignment?

Morth
2010-03-13, 10:07 AM
i think the fact that the hero cant kill anything is...unrealistic for a running campaign. a character who cant kill a goblin, even though hes a epic level character? why not something like he can only kill creatures with evil alignment?

But heroes don't kill things... Look at the comic book heroes. They simply immobilize and then have them sent away. Maybe an ability that lets them supercede that for X rounds a day?

Creed
2010-03-13, 10:09 AM
or mabye a skill that renders an enemy helpless, like spider-mans web sling where he hangs them upside down from a lamppost?

Morth
2010-03-13, 10:09 AM
or mabye a skill that renders an enemy helpless, like spider-mans web sling where he hangs them upside down from a lamppost?

That sounds like it would fit.

Better?

Volthawk
2010-03-13, 10:17 AM
Wait a sec....

This is enterable at level two!

Creed
2010-03-13, 10:19 AM
Wait a sec....

This is enterable at level two!

wow your right, early prestige class!:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Morth
2010-03-13, 10:22 AM
I guess you could...
I was hoping for more lvl 7...

Volthawk
2010-03-13, 10:25 AM
I guess you could...
I was hoping for more lvl 7...

Well, you could up the requirements. Like put required Sense Motive up to 10. Then it's only enterable at 7 or later.

Morth
2010-03-13, 10:27 AM
Well, you could up the requirements. Like put required Sense Motive up to 10. Then it's only enterable at 7 or later.

But then classes without Sense Motive are out for a while.
Oh! I got it!

Mongoose87
2010-03-13, 12:07 PM
What's the hit die?

Ouranos
2010-03-13, 01:06 PM
Heroic presence has a 3rd rank in the chart, but there isn't one in the stats.

Volthawk
2010-03-13, 01:06 PM
Read again. It does.

Temotei
2010-03-13, 01:46 PM
Some of the special abilities are simply better than others. For example, getting full BAB for all classes is better than having the ability to take 10 on some skills restricted to the feats you took to qualify for the class.

Actually, I think that's it for special abilities that I can see. You could word them better though. See below quote. I edited the BAB one to give you full BAB on all hero levels.

Hero of Varied Talents: Your hero levels and your levels from a class of your choice stack for the purpose of any class abilities the chosen class has.

Stalwart Spells: Every level in hero is considered to have the "+1 level of existing spellcasting class" retroactively.

Live by the Sword: The hero is considered to have a retroactive full base attack bonus for all hero levels.

Law of Inverse Power: For each enemy that threatens you, you gain a +1 insight bonus to attack and damage rolls.

Final Stand: If you would be killed, you may make a Fortitude save of a DC equal to the damage of the attack or effect. If you succeed, you are stabilized at -9 hit points and you and all allies within 30 feet gain a +5 morale bonus to attack, damage, and armor class. This lasts until either the hero dies or the encounter ends.

Signature Move: A hero may select a martial strike maneuver of level 5 or lower as his "Signature Move". This maneuver may be used by the hero once per encounter. (Initiator levels=Hero Levels)

"For the Good of All!": A hero may kill targets without breaking his oath for 5 rounds a day.

Restraining Justice: If you render a target unconscious with nonlethal damage, you may concentrate your righteousness into a physical bond, thus rendering them helpless for a number of days equal to your Charisma modifier.

Evasion: See the rogue ability of the same name.

Mettle: See the hexblade ability of the same name.

Class names really shouldn't be capitalized. The class names are never capitalized (aside from at the beginning of sentences, in headers, etc.) in the Player's Handbook or on the SRD.

Morth
2010-03-13, 03:28 PM
Some of the special abilities are simply better than others. For example, getting full BAB for all classes is better than having the ability to take 10 on some skills restricted to the feats you took to qualify for the class.

Actually, I think that's it for special abilities that I can see. You could word them better though. See below quote. I edited the BAB one to give you full BAB on all hero levels.

Class names really shouldn't be capitalized. The class names are never capitalized (aside from at the beginning of sentences, in headers, etc.) in the Player's Handbook or on the SRD.

It was only supposed to be hero levels. My bad.

Temotei
2010-03-13, 04:32 PM
It was only supposed to be hero levels. My bad.

I figured as much. :smallcool:

Realms of Chaos
2010-03-13, 04:36 PM
Sooo... If I take this class, I can get full BAB, All good saves, Full caster progression, Full ability progression from my previous class, and a laundry list of other goodies.

The price for this is a couple bad feats and being unable to kill... It's sad that this is actually a pretty fair price in DnD (everybody wants to kill and feats are so precious).

Scorpions__
2010-03-13, 05:50 PM
For Signature Move, do you have to meet the prerequisites of the maneuver?

DM[F]R

Zexion
2010-03-13, 06:43 PM
I believe so. That's just my opinion, though. He did imply it.

Temotei
2010-03-13, 06:49 PM
A hero may select a martial strike maneuver of level 5 or lower as his "Signature Move". This maneuver may be used by the hero once per encounter. (Initiator levels=Hero Levels)

RAW says no, you don't have to qualify.

However, the designer may have something else in mind.

Zexion
2010-03-13, 06:53 PM
I suppose. Any thoughts?

Morth
2010-03-13, 06:54 PM
Sooo... If I take this class, I can get full BAB, All good saves, Full caster progression, Full ability progression from my previous class, and a laundry list of other goodies.

The price for this is a couple bad feats and being unable to kill... It's sad that this is actually a pretty fair price in DnD (everybody wants to kill and feats are so precious).

You only get two of the "special abilities" at once though... so you don't get all the candy in the bag, just your two favorite flavors at any given times. :)

Morth
2010-03-13, 07:01 PM
RAW says no, you don't have to qualify.

However, the designer may have something else in mind.

I suppose. Any thoughts?

I'm not sure... If you did imply prerequisites, then you would have many unusable because of the need to posses other maneuvers... but on the other hand, it could cause some cheapness if it has no limits. Thoughts?

Zexion
2010-03-13, 07:06 PM
Perhaps the normal prerequisites, except for class levels and other maneuvers.

Morth
2010-03-13, 07:11 PM
Perhaps the normal prerequisites, except for class levels and other maneuvers.

That works!

Lix Lorn
2010-03-19, 05:02 AM
This is an awesome idea. :smallbiggrin:
One thing, with the Stalwart Spells ability, you might want to say something about having to add them to the same class each time, having to pick the same spells, etc. Otherwise... could be confusing. @_@

elliott20
2010-03-19, 05:27 AM
I don't understand this PrC. Why do you need a PrC called "The Hero" specifically? Isn't that more of a narrative trait that ties with characterization than necessary abilities?

If you're making this entirely up for your own system, I can understand. But as it stands, I find this both from a mechanical and fluff stand point utterly incompatible with the RAW material.

Lix Lorn
2010-03-19, 11:29 AM
It represents the stereotypical white knight who does things for the good of all and never compromises. It's the personality and general abilities of a superhero. (Shrug)

Alternative answer: Why not?

Milskidasith
2010-03-19, 11:56 AM
Requirements:
Alignment: Any good. A hero must be an enemy of the evil ways.
Feats: Two of the following: Acrobatic; Agile; Athletics; Alertness; Negotiator; Persuasive; Self-Sufficient
Skills: Any one skill linked to Strength, Dexterity, or Charisma at rank 10; Sense Motive: 4 Ranks
Other: Must commit yourself to the pursuit of justice.

Why does it need a seventh level entry, and why do you have to take the terrible +2 to two vaguely related skills feats to enter? Also, why is it the pursuit of justice if you are good? Seems like a more lawful thing.

HD: d8

Average, not really heroic, but the class features probably make up for it.

The Hero
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+2|
+2| Heroic Presence I; Vow of the Life-saver; Unwavering Conviction

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+3|
+3|Peak Condition; Special Ability

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+3| Heroic Presence II; Versatile Heroics

4th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+4|Heroic Drive; Special Ability

5th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+4|Savior and Protector; Heroic Presence III; Smite the Wicked [/table]

Nice saves, lots of class features; it might need to be stretched to ten levels.

Vow of the Life-saver: A hero is a metaphorical knight in shining armor, and mustn't stain his hands with a creatures blood, innocent or otherwise. A hero may not kill any target voluntarily. He may choose to make any attack that would kill the target deal non-lethal damage. If the Hero does voluntarily kill someone guilty of wickedness, the hero losses his class abilities until a cleric casts Atonement on him or her. If the hero strikes an innocent person down, she loses all abilities permanently.

Does this apply to non sentient beings? What about beings that are literally pure evil, such as Demon's? What if it has regeneration so nonlethal damage just doesn't work? It works fine for Batman, where he only fights mostly human foes.

Heroic Presence (Ex): The aura of righteousness surrounding a hero is powerful and strengthening. A hero is immune to fear. At level 3 or higher, a hero may add his Charisma modifier to his Strength and Dexterity scores. At level 5, the hero may add his Charisma to his Armor Class.

Charisma modifier to strength and dexterity means you get a pretty good bonus; essentially half your charisma modifier is added as a bonus to your other scores. Charisma to armor class is nuts; it should say charisma modifier; flat charisma is a ton.

Unwavering Conviction (Ex): The hero must be a paragon of all that is just and right, and is driven by righteousness. A hero may, once a day per hero level, strike a heroic stance, striking fear into the heart of evil. All enemies seeing this must make a will save versus fear or be shaken. (DC= 10+Hero Level+Charisma modifier)

Gets a pretty high save at a lower level than normal (DC 20+cha at 17) but it's not OP.

Peak Condition (Ex): A hero must always be at his strongest to fight the forces of evil. Choose one of the feats that qualified you for this class. You may take 10 on checks involving the associated skills.

That actually makes the qualifying feats worth taking. Can you take 10 in all situations, though? Just saying "you may take 10" isn't actually a benefit, but I assume you mean that you can take 10 on anything.

Hero of Varied Talents: Your hero levels and your levels from a class you your choice stack for any class abilities your chosen class has.

This is nuts. Druid/Hero/Druid gets a ton of goodies and full Druid progression on anything. Granted, the Hero features, so far, aren't *amazing*, but it's a flat bonus to a lot of things for the cost of two feats.

Why would you take this over Hero of Varied Talents? Spellcasting is an ability.

Live by the Sword: The hero levels are considered to have a retroactive full base attack bonus.

Eh. It's a +2.

Law of Inverse Power: You each enemy that threatens you, you gain a +1 insight bonus to attack and damage rolls.

I can't even read this. Does this mean you get a +1 for each enemy threatening you? If so, it's... still not that useful, but not bad if you fight lots of foes at once.

Final Stand: If you would be killed, you may make a fortitude save with a DC equal to the damage the attack of effect is dealing. If you succeed, you are left stabilized at -9 and you and all allies in 30 feet gain a +5 morale bonus to attack and damage rolls, as well as armor class. This lasts until either the hero dies or the Encounter ends.

Can you use this *every* time you get hit?

Signature Move : A hero may select a martial strike maneuver of level 5 or lower as his "Signature Move". You may ignore level and previous maneuvers, but must follow all other prerequisites. This maneuver may be used by the hero once per encounter. (Initiator levels=Hero Levels)

Your initiator level for this is kind of horrible... as in, it's actually, at level 20, the same as if you had been fully in non-initiator classes.

"For the Good of All!": A hero may kill targets without breaking his oath for 5 rounds a day.

This is pointless; you shouldn't need to, using a meme I really shouldn't, sacrifice power for flavor.

Restraining Justice: If you were to render a target unconscious from non-lethal damage, you may concentrate your righteousness into a physical bond, thus rendering them helpless for a number of days equal to your Charisma modifier.

Err... couldn't you just punch them more?

Evasion: See the Rogue ability of the same name.

Can you grab improved evasion? Otherwise, nice.

Mettle: See the Hexblade ability of the same name.

See above.

Versatile Heroics (Ex): A hero must remain on his toes if he is to effectively fight the forces of evil. At dawn, a hero may replace one special ability with another one of his choice.

This really should just be a feature of the special abilities.

Heroic Drive (Ex): A hero isn't categorized by his strength or his agility, but by his righteousness and his willpower. A hero doesn't die until his hit points reach -15, and he is never considered dying.

This makes the "I stabilize at -9" weird, because there is no such thing as stabilization for you. Or, rather, it makes it so that every time you get hit, you are fully functional with six HP left, so its actually even more useful, just a bit nonsensical.

Smite the Wicked (Ex): A hero may draw from his inner reserves when he is fighting evil, granting him great might. Once a day, a Hero may treat any one attack roll or skill check against an evil target as a natural 20.

So, does this mean you crit as well? As a rule, I don't enjoy auto-20s getting crits, but if you want it too, it wouldn't be too OP except for crit builds.

Savior and Protector (Ex): A hero is above corruption and wickedness, and has grown strong, if not impervious, to their attraction. A level 5 Hero is immune to mind-affecting effects, and gains DR 5/Evil.

Minor DR and another immunity that is fairly easy to have.

Overall, this class is broken, just because it stacks with every ability of the class you used to enter automatically, so it's a flat benefit. Besides that, though, it actually works out really well, and since you can add spellcasting on to it even without the broken ability, you can still use it for just about anybody, even if it is not as good as specialized classes.

I'd love input on balance, and also more ability ideas to add.[/QUOTE]

Lix Lorn
2010-03-19, 12:48 PM
'S why i suggested making the many talents thing use up both your abilities.

Also, law and justice aren't the same. Think about Batman. He's not lawful. Or Watchmen.

Morth
2010-03-19, 02:35 PM
Okay, made some modifications.
Fixed the overlapping of SS and HoVT.
Fixed some typos.
Buffed Signature Move.

J.Gellert
2010-03-19, 03:22 PM
If he can't kill anything, give him an ability that does away with the -4 penalty for dealing nonlethal damage.

And something to help with fighting trolls or demons. And gelatinous cubes.

Edit: Nevermind, just read it again and noticed he can always choose to deal non-lethal damage.

Lix Lorn
2010-03-19, 05:04 PM
How about, as an ability something like

Master of Weaponry
The Hero is proficient with all weapons, armour and shields. In addition, they gain Weapon Focus for any one weapon they choose.

(Also, Firkraag, best avatar ever. (Swoon))

Morth
2010-03-19, 08:37 PM
If he can't kill anything, give him an ability that does away with the -4 penalty for dealing nonlethal damage.

And something to help with fighting trolls or demons. And gelatinous cubes.

Edit: Nevermind, just read it again and noticed he can always choose to deal non-lethal damage.
Made his code limited to humanoids so it doesn't really conflict with his ideals... monsters are just that, monsters.

How about, as an ability something like

Master of Weaponry
The Hero is proficient with all weapons, armour and shields. In addition, they gain Weapon Focus for any one weapon they choose.

(Also, Firkraag, best avatar ever. (Swoon))
Incorporated this into LbtS.