PDA

View Full Version : The New Faction (SoD and DStP commentary spoilers)

TheBibliophile
2010-03-13, 10:14 AM
So, I realise that this has probably been done to death, but what do you think the new one of the "nine sides in this conflict" will be? The Giant has stated that a new faction will be introduced within this story arc, so my theory is that it's an army of monster inhabitants of the Western Continent, whose aim is to take over the Continent for the greater glory of Monsterkind, led by... Right-Eye's daughter! She has become a preacher and leader of the monsters, having inherited great leadership skills from her uncle (leading the way for more Dune jokes:Kwitsatz Haderach, anyone?) and she was the one that was scying on the OOtS, because she had been informed by her contact in Sandsedge that a powerful party of adventurers was headed into the desert.

Sorry about the wall of text, I just had to get that theory off my chest.

Kish
2010-03-13, 10:29 AM
Theories that so-and-so mentioned-but-not-seen-and-unestablished-power-level NPC is hugely powerful tend to meet with disappointment. I remember when people were theorizing that Vaarsuvius' mate would prove to be more than a match for the ancient black dragon.

TheBibliophile
2010-03-13, 10:34 AM
Never said she was hugely powerful, just said that she might be the new faction.

Although I guess a fanatic army of desert monsters does sound pretty dang hugely powerful...

Zevox
2010-03-13, 10:38 AM
The most widely speculated current theory is that the new faction being introduced in this arc will be the group associated with Girard that Vaarsuvius speculated about back in #698. Possibly still lead by Girard himself.

Zevox

Ancalagon
2010-03-13, 11:27 AM
... another option would be a faction that has to do with the father of Elan/Nale or (and?) the Haley-plot.

NerfTW
2010-03-13, 12:01 PM
A third option is those two combined! :smalltongue:

Gift Jeraff
2010-03-13, 01:04 PM
Considering the presence of reptilian humanoids on the Western Continent, I'm personally guessing it's the boss of these guys (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0571.html). (Mentioned by the Oracle in the eighth panel.)

Chrisorc
2010-03-13, 01:52 PM
In Elan's underwater adventure they encounter something big that could use magic. I wonder if there are any theories about what it was?

Shale
2010-03-13, 01:57 PM
A large magic-using creature that would appear right after Vaarsuvius leaves the fleet?

Nope, can't think of a thing.

NerfTW
2010-03-13, 02:39 PM
In Elan's underwater adventure they encounter something big that could use magic. I wonder if there are any theories about what it was?

That was the Adult Black Dragon. It says so in the commentary. That's why the scene was cut, because the gap between updates would have spoiled the surprise long before it happened.

Chrisorc
2010-03-13, 03:37 PM
Must've missed it, thanks for clearing that up. :)

TheBibliophile
2010-03-13, 03:44 PM
Considering the presence of reptilian humanoids on the Western Continent, I'm personally guessing it's the boss of these guys (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0571.html). (Mentioned by the Oracle in the eighth panel.)

Who could well be Right-Eye's daughter.

Tyrmatt
2010-03-13, 05:10 PM
I'd say that the appearance of the Linear Guild as the pawns of the IFCC pretty much guarantees that Nale has set himself up as the latest hotshot dictator in the region.

DBJack
2010-03-14, 04:08 AM
Right Eye's daughter could be Nale's and Elan's father...

Zxo
2010-03-14, 04:09 AM
A faction is defined by a common goal other than the goals of other factions. So I don't buy, for example, the idea of the elven resistance being a new faction. There's nothing that would suggest that they have their own agenda - they're allies of an existing faction and thus part of it. I suspect the same in case of the lizardmen who are with the Oracle. A new faction may be even introduced by someone whom we already know starting to pursue their own, new goal. Might be even Jirix.

A faction I miss in the story at this point are anti-Plan goblins. We have a lot of goblin equality support on the forum and I'm in this camp myself, but the fact is, Gobbotopia has been founded by an evil lich and a cleric who follows an evil Plan that puts all of existence in danger. I would love to see a goblin faction I could support without all the moral ambiguity Gobbotopia has, a faction following Right-Eye's ideas.

Gift Jeraff
2010-03-14, 12:14 PM
Who could well be Right-Eye's daughter.
Eh, I think she's too young to be anything like someone in charge of something like that. It's only been 4~5 years since we last saw her. Now, some small youth group of monsters who are rebelling against the people/gods who treat them like fodder and their monstrous stereotypes? That sounds entirely possible.

Ted The Bug
2010-03-14, 12:17 PM
Girard could count as a faction...he certainly has his own goals.

Gift Jeraff
2010-03-14, 12:22 PM
Girard could count as a faction...he certainly has his own goals.
He probably is, but I don't think Rich was referring to him in the commentary. He says an entirely as-of-yet unrevealed player in the conflict for the Gates will be revealed--we already know Girard is involved with the Gates.

I also got the impression that it's either a character that's completely new (never been mentioned or even hinted at) or has only been vaguely alluded to (such as the boss of the guys who raised the Oracle or Qarr's previous supervisor).

TheBibliophile
2010-03-14, 01:15 PM
Hmm... good points, all. You're right, I hadn't thought of the fact that Right-Eye's daughter would be a teenager, in goblin years.